EA Announces Wii-Exclusive Dead Space: Extraction - UPDATED

Pages 1 2 NEXT

EA Announces Wii-Exclusive Dead Space: Extraction - UPDATED

Dead Space: Extraction, an all-new prequel to the hit EA survival horror game Dead Space, is in development for the Nintendo Wii and slated for release later this year.

Dead Space: Extraction will detail the events leading up to the original game, telling the story of a handful of humans struggling to deal with the horrific infection sweeping their mining colony on the deepest fringes of space. As the plague claims its victims, keeping the game's new heroine alive may be the only hope for survival and escape.

"Nintendo has a wonderful history in the horror genre and we are thrilled to build on that tradition with Dead Space: Extraction," said EA Redwood Shores Vice President Glen Schofield. "As we were developing Dead Space, we realized that there was so much of the story going untold. Dead Space: Extraction tells that story with all of the intensity, blood and gore that fans would expect."

EA's intention to bring Dead Space to the Wii was first revealed during a conference call to investors in early February. No details were given at the time, but a Wii version of the game was mentioned as part of EA's new focus on the platform, which CEO John Riccitiello said would result in "half our emphasis in terms of title counts" going to Nintendo.

Dead Space: Extraction will make use of the Wii remote for an "action-packed horror experience" with new characters, weapons, enemies and puzzles, and will feature co-op multiplayer as well. The game is currently scheduled to ship in fall 2009.

UPDATE: Hey, there's a trailer.

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Not the wii :(

What a terrible move for a promising franchise.

And you base this assertion on?

Cue whining in...err...too late.

Well, actually, I suppose the whining might have some merit this time around. With the Dead Space Wii remake (assuming thats actually happening and this wasn't somehow what they were talking about) there was no reason for it. You've already played and/or own the game for another system so why does a supposedly watered down remake on the Wii matter to you in the least?

Ignoring the whining of the Dead Space fanbase, continuing a franchise on a more popular system is never a bad mood. For fans that own a Wii in addition to whatever system they played the original on they get a new way to experience the game they loved. Its a win-win scenario if you're not blinded by fanboyism for your system of choice. Personally I'm not likely to get any Dead Space game. I don't have a good relationship with the horror genre...

I really have to ask... is there a demand for watered-down shooters on the Wii? I can see how the light-gun/wii-mote gimic would appeal for a lot of shooter fans, but we've seen the pattern now of reduced graphics and reduced gameplay for Wii ports.

Why can't Wii players have Dead Space proper? The game was born for motion controls and the jumpy, jittering aim that brings about.

Surely the plot of said game ruins the ending for the prequel too, ie: You are all going to die...

I don't hold much hope for this game, mainly because it's EA, kings of the crappy sequel.

I think it is great (well as long as they can get the controls down). It may not look as good as the others but the Wii just can't do that so what can you do? It isn't just a port (which I thought it would be when I first heard it announced). If Nintendo can keep securing these types of titles it might be worth reinvesting in.

I do not understand the logic though. Game 1 goes on other consoles, the prequel is coming out on the Wii. Give each other the games they are missing so we can get the whole story without buying 2 or more consoles.

You'd think "Chop till you Drop" would have discouraged such games from going Wii, but o whell.

If this is a prequel to the first Dead Space, then I guess this is almost relevant to the movie Dead Space Downfall.

And the movie is bad in my opinion.

mGoLos:
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Will somebody please ban this hump.

Tharticus:
If this is a prequel to the first Dead Space, then I guess this is almost relevant to the movie Dead Space Downfall.

And the movie is bad in my opinion.

Mine too, very weak all around and in some cases a canon nightmare.

HOW DARE THEY PORT BRAID TO PC!!!! Why would anyone play that game on another console! This is just stu-

Wait, which thread am I in? Whoops.

Malygris:

"Nintendo has a wonderful history in the horror genre and we are thrilled to build on that tradition with Dead Space: Extraction," said EA Redwood Shores Vice President Glen Schofield. "As we were developing Dead Space, we realized that there was so much of the story going untold. Dead Space: Extraction tells that story with all of the intensity, blood and gore that fans would expect."

Y'know, horror usually works best when you don't know all the story. Enough to make sense of things, sure, but the best horror stories/films/games always leave plenty of details shrouded in mystery. After all, the best scares come when you let your imagination do all the hard work. Case in point- Event Horizon. You never actually see Hell, only the effect it has on people. And it has a truly fucked up effect on them.

But anyways, Dead Space is less than a year old, and it already sounds like EA are getting the milk pumps ready. Oh joy...

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Y'know, horror usually works best when you don't know all the story. Enough to make sense of things, sure, but the best horror stories/films/games always leave plenty of details shrouded in mystery. After all, the best scares come when you let your imagination do all the hard work. Case in point- Event Horizon. You never actually see Hell, only the effect it has on people. And it has a truly fucked up effect on them.

Lewis Carrol called it, the Jaberwocky isn't scary if you describe him flat out. You just gotta tell them the Bandersnatch is going to kill them and let the imagination do its work.

Rodger:
Cue whining in...err...too late.

Well, actually, I suppose the whining might have some merit this time around. With the Dead Space Wii remake (assuming thats actually happening and this wasn't somehow what they were talking about) there was no reason for it. You've already played and/or own the game for another system so why does a supposedly watered down remake on the Wii matter to you in the least?

I have? That's interesting.
I'm almost positive that, no, I have not done this thing, and that you are provably wrong.

"Nintendo has a wonderful history in the horror genre"

lolwut
Since when?

EDIT:

JaguarWong:

mGoLos:
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!

You can't ban someone for making stupid assumptions.
Or for being a fanboy.

Anyway, Khell mentioned the Dead Rising port, and I have only one thing to say to that: At least this isn't named something stupid, like "Dead Space: CHOPPA ALIENZ UPA"

Goddamnit.

One game closer to me purchasing the system.

I'M TRYING TO SAVE MONEY HERE!

JaguarWong:

mGoLos:
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Awww, were your feelings hurt?

I enjoyed dead space a great deal. I do not believe the Wii capable of doing it justice.

fix-the-spade:
Why can't Wii players have Dead Space proper? The game was born for motion controls and the jumpy, jittering aim that brings about.

They're getting a port of Dead Space...

MaxTheReaper:

Rodger:

[quote]"Nintendo has a wonderful history in the horror genre"

lolwut
Since when?

RE4 was originally just for the GC. I hear the RE remake for GC is good also.

I think its worth a look for arcade shooter fans

Hopefully this game will rejuvenate my playing on the Wii. I havn't touched it in months and it saddens me because of it.

MaxTheReaper:

JaguarWong:

mGoLos:
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Or for being a fanboy.

Anyway, Khell mentioned the Dead Rising port, and I have only one thing to say to that: At least this isn't named something stupid, like "Dead Space: CHOPPA ALIENZ UPA"

Yet. Chop til you drop was originally just called Dead Rising Wii.

I guess Nintendo's been indulging in violent titles for a while now... Wow though. :)

whats the point? we already know how the game will end.

and the fact that the wii will need to have the games graphics watered down dosent help.

id say the only this this game has going for it is the wiimote.

unless... they make the game based on a rail... *shudders*

mGoLos:

Awww, were your feelings hurt?

I enjoyed dead space a great deal. I do not believe the Wii capable of doing it justice.

I enjoy this site a great deal and I do not believe your posts do it justice.

Fuck-wit.

Not a remake/port? Nice one!!!

It seems EA have greater respect for the Wii core than Nintendo do...

At least EA made a correct move by not simply port Dead Space to Wii.

Indigo_Dingo:

MaxTheReaper:

JaguarWong:

mGoLos:
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Or for being a fanboy.

Yet. Chop til you drop was originally just called Dead Rising Wii.

...Please don't use facts in order to frighten people.

EDIT:

gmer412:

fix-the-spade:

They're getting a port of Dead Space...

MaxTheReaper:

Rodger:

[quote]"Nintendo has a wonderful history in the horror genre"

lolwut
Since when?

RE4 was originally just for the GC. I hear the RE remake for GC is good also.

Yeah, I know, but Resident Evil hasn't seemed very "horror" in quite a while.
Then again, I didn't really play the games much.

Malygris:
And you base this assertion on?

Fanboyism.

TO EVERYONE ELSE: Ignore him. He's just trying to troll.

In my opinion, a Dead Space Wii title sounds pretty cool - Wii FPSes have serious potential. But we'll see. I want to try it out for myself before I can say anything.

The trailer seems pretty good. Then again, maybe it doesn't. I'm not a graphics-snob of any sort, so I really wouldn't know.
It does look pretty interesting though. I might buy it. Probably not, given how many other games I want more and how little cash I have. But I wouldn't refuse a gift of that game, that's for sure.

"Nintendo has a wonderful history in the horror genre "?
Where is this wonderful history?

MurderousToaster:
"Nintendo has a wonderful history in the horror genre "?
Where is this wonderful history?

I think they mean the high Resident Evil sales on the Wii (and relatively high sales on the GameCube) with that.

Why isn't anyone remembering "Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem"?

Awesome game. Best horror-themed game I've played and bothered to finish, actually.

Also, it's very good news to hear that Dead Space Wii is its own game, and not just a lazy Capcom-style port. (God, I can't believe I'm praising EA and bashing Capcom here. >.>) Now the game stands a better chance, and I suppose I'll wait with playing the original until I've been through the Wii prequel.

Im currently playing Dead Space on the 360 and i must say im enjoying it. Im not to bothered about it being on the Wii as i own and rarely use one, It may see the light of day again on this games release :']

Hahahahahaha, another light gun game.

I think it's time for Wii owners to own up to the fact that even IF third-party developers pay attention to the Wii, they will either be crappy ports or games so dumbed down/gimped that they won't even be worth a playthrough.

At least you guys have your mini-games.

Watched the trailer and...

...It's a Lightgun game...

Ah well, it was nice to have hope while it lasted.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here