Squeenix Goes Steam-Powered

Squeenix Goes Steam-Powered

JRPG giant Square-Enix is the latest developer to sign onto Valve's Steam digital distribution service, starting with The Last Remnant in early April.

The action RPG will be the first, hitting the virtual shelves on April 9th, but it won't be the last - Square-Enix plans to increase its Steam library, with specific plans and pricing to be announced down the line.

"Square Enix is committed to delivering the best quality titles to PC gamers and distribution on Steam is one of the many steps we are taking to increase accessibility for fans in North America and PAL territories," said Squeenix head John Yamamoto.

One wonders what other titles could potentially be on the way from the Final Fantasy publisher. Final Fantasy XI and its myriad of expansions are an obvious choice, but ... what else could there be? Personally, I can't wait for a re-release of the PC ports of FFVII through FFIX, provided they fix the parts where they were, y'know, filled with so many bugs they were practically a trial on Fear Factor.

(Via CVG)

Awesome, smart decision on their part. Never knew they made a lot of Pc games though.
And what is The Last Remnant? Anyone care to enlighten me?

Brotherofwill:
Awesome, smart decision on their part. Never knew they made a lot of Pc games though.

A decent game, but nothing to pay full price for, this is from a guy who likes SE games to.

I still have my PC copy of Final Fantasy 7. But I would love to see square-enix games released for the PC via Steam. Imagine getting all those NON-RPG games made from both Squaresoft and Enix back in the day. We can all get Einheinder or Ehirgeiz or even Rad Racer!

Brotherofwill:

Last Remnant is a tactical RPG but without the square grid battlefield that we have come to known in Final Fantasy Tactics or Disgaea. Instead of moving your groups instead after you give your commands different situations of battle will occur. If two armies attack head on into each other they are deadlocked and cannot attack other enemies. If another army attacks the enemy it is a flank doing more damage. You can also have your armies intercepted by the enemy putting them into a deadlock preventing any flank attacks.

The strange part is that your groups health and "MP" recovers at the end of each fight and you share your health as an army unit. Also there is no standard experience system, instead you use magic or battle techniques to improve the power of your units.

On the 360 it shows the age of the unreal engine and limitations of the 360 because of all the loading the game goes through...and I mean a lot of load screens and a lot of loading to see those beautiful detailed graphics.

Onmi:

Brotherofwill:

A decent game, but nothing to pay full price for, this is from a guy who likes SE games to.

Thanks for the tipp. Since it comes out soon and i haven't even heard of it, I might aswell have figured...

Brotherofwill:

Last Remnant is an oxymoron.

Har har har.

There is just no getting away from Steam is there?

Guess I have to give up on gaming, because I will not use that thing again.

Khell_Sennet:
There is just no getting away from Steam is there?

Guess I have to give up on gaming, because I will not use that thing again.

Vintage consoles!

Pyronox:

Brotherofwill:

Har har har.

No it isn't, it's redundant.

Haw haw haw.

My favorite company working with my favorite place to buy games from man this is a dream.

LoopyDood:

Pyronox:

Brotherofwill:

Har har har.

Haw haw haw.

We shall settle this the old way:
*Removes glove and gets into slapping position*
Har Har

LoopyDood:

Pyronox:

Brotherofwill:

Har har har.

Haw haw haw.

Tomato, tomato.

...Oh wait that doesn't work on the internet, does it now?

Sweet. I wonder what they'll put up? I want to see why people rave about FFVII.

Pyronox:

LoopyDood:

Pyronox:

Brotherofwill:

Har har har.

Haw haw haw.

Tomato, tomato.

To-may-to, to-mah-to.

Pyronox:

LoopyDood:

Pyronox:

Brotherofwill:

Har har har.

Haw haw haw.

Tomato, tomato.

If they meant the same thing... I guess. They're opposites.

An oxymoron would be "unbiased opinion" or "Peacekeeper Missile".

Spontaneous grammar lessons rule.

CantFaketheFunk:
Personally, I can't wait for a re-release of the PC ports of FFVII through FFIX

There was no PC port of FFIX. Only FFVII and VIII.

thedrop2zer0:

CantFaketheFunk:
Personally, I can't wait for a re-release of the PC ports of FFVII through FFIX

There was no PC port of FFIX. Only FFVII and VIII.

And FFXI...
But yes, I would love to get my hands on a PC copy of FFVII again.

Square Enix Inc. CEO John Yamamoto stated, "...Steam is one of the many steps we are taking to increase accessibility for fans in North America and PAL territories."

http://www.edge-online.com/news/square-enix-heads-steam

Hopefully that hints at more multiplatform releases. As someone without a current gen console I'd like to see more SE games on PC. However Last Remnant will show how committed they are to the platform, as apparently its a technologically broken game. If they put the effort in to fix the graphics issues then maybe there could be a bright future for the company on PC. I'd like to see SE become a driving force in the industry again.

Sounds like they picked something to try the ice with. If it's a success, they might dump other stuff into steam as well.

LoopyDood:

Pyronox:

LoopyDood:

Pyronox:

Brotherofwill:

Har har har.

Haw haw haw.

Tomato, tomato.

If they meant the same thing... I guess. They're opposites.

An oxymoron would be "unbiased opinion" or "Peacekeeper Missile".

Spontaneous grammar lessons rule.

Yeah, the just seem the same to me. When you're a god, mortals' stupidity is hard to categorize in more than just the "stupid" pool...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here