360 Outsells PS3 & Wii in Japan

Pages 1 2 NEXT

360 Outsells PS3 & Wii in Japan

The Xbox 360 was the top-selling console in Japan last week, beating out the PS3 and Wii by a healthy margin. In other news, the moon reportedly glowed red, rivers ran with blood, and a horse gave birth to a litter of pythons.

According to Japanese hardware sales tracker Media Create, not only did the 360 move more units last week than either of its competitors, it did so by a fairly wide margin of ten-thousand units - well, wide for Japan, anyway:

Xbox 360 - 25,334
Wii - 16,973
PS3 - 16,149

There are two reasons for the 360's temporary triumph. The most obvious, of course, is the release of Star Ocean 4 - big JRPG titles like Tales of Vesperia have been responsible for the few other times the 360 has pulled ahead of the pack. Less obvious but still a potential factor: the 360 simply has more room to grow than its rivals in the console wars. Fewer people own a 360 than a PS3 or Wii in the Land of the Rising Sun, so bigger spurts might be expected.

Besides, it still got absolutely clobbered by the DSi and the PSP, so no reason to start ringing in the End of Days just yet.

(Via Joystiq)

We're counting week to week now?

x360 was top for a week. Truely this is the coming of the AntiChrist & the End of Days. Ill see you all on the fields of Megiddo for the final battle, Wii-mote in hand!

This is awesome news. Finally an American console winning in a foreign country.

The PSP is still selling well? I thought it was dead.

saikanoto:

That was my impression as well.

Well that's 360 1, Wii, every other time. Congrats, 360.

Cousin_IT:
x360 was top for a week. Truely this is the coming of the AntiChrist & the End of Days. Ill see you all on the fields of Megiddo for the final battle, Wii-mote in hand!

your wii mote is inn effective against my 360 controller!!

orannis62:

saikanoto:

aye

I find it weird that for the past two console generations Playstation was the console to get if your were big into JRPGs, but now it's Xbox.

I didn't realize they kept track of this stuff from week to week. I figured that they just totalled sales in a month.

Well it is no surprise actually. Square-enix has REALLY been pushing gamers in Japan to pick up a 360 by putting the RPG franchises such as Star Ocean 4, The Last Remnant, Tales Of Vesperia and Infinite undiscovery. It seems like Square-enix wants to not only hit the american market but also get an expanded audience by making RPGs both on the 360 and ps3 and it shows more knowing that FF13 will come out on both consoles.

I do honestly worry that this trend will continue because Microsoft really changed gaming and to me there were more cons than there were pros especially when you now have a divided audience that might not be able to afford both systems and the equipment that is required to play at the "intended" use.

This is a huge question but...do a lot of Japanese families or individual OWN that big screen tv to play these games at 1080p? I really would like an answer to this.

Well that's very surprising, normally something made In the USA rarely, if ever, can make a dent in the Asian market...granted it is only a week, but its still noteworthy.

Xan Krieger:
This is awesome news. Finally an American console winning in a foreign country.

won't last long though. as long as all the wii's in japan still work at least. everyone there already has a wii, so sales are bound to slow

seydaman:

orannis62:

saikanoto:

aye

Actually it's doing fine, it recently reached the 50 million units sold landmark. It hasn't obviously done as well as the DS, but sales don't seem to be slowing down for it.

Ago Iterum:
Well that's 360 1, Wii, every other time. Congrats, 360.

Actually, no, for the last couple of weeks the Ps3 outsold it

I would think the main reason is that everyone in Japan probably already has a Wii.

Jman1236:
I find it weird that for the past two console generations Playstation was the console to get if your were big into JRPGs, but now it's Xbox.

Big into, yes, but not qualiy. The best JRPG this generation is still Valkyria Chronicles.

L.B. Jeffries:

That was my exact thought! People are that desperate to have "real" consoles outselling the Wii?

Indigo_Dingo:

Jman1236:

Big into, yes, but not qualiy. The best JRPG this generation is still Valkyria Chronicles.

I beleive Lost Odyssey to be the best JRPG personally...

Counting week by week is ridculous, as stated the 360 was bound to win once as the PS3 and Wii were selling like crazy but everyone now has one...

So what? One week is hardly noteworthy, call me when it's a month, then I can write it off as a one off.
If they manage two months, just two months, I'll be impressed.

I got to admit, I do welcome this news, which possibly sets me up for being labelled the Microsoft fan boy (I play PC games too and must say I hated Linux and Apple OS's) It's good to see the Japanese, usually one of the more stubborn markets for welcoming outside products allowing the 360 into many of their homes. Still, seeing as the reason was due to a JRPG, perhaps this wasn't such a huge jump.

o well, hooray for the Xbox

Well, I'm glad to see the 360 succeed a little in Japan, poor console has had it rough out there...

L.B. Jeffries:

It beat the Wii. It's certainly worth a nod.

L.B. Jeffries:

That was exactly what I thought when I read this.

So Microsoft's console outsells the other two for a week. WOW! OMG! HOLY CARP! So what?

This seems more like an article trying a desperate attempt to show that MSoft have a foothold in Japan, and it's pretty pathetic really.

A week, OMG! This must mean that Microsoft HAVE FINALY WON OVER EVERYONE OVER AT JAPAN!#$!#%^@!#$^

Come back to me in maybe....a month or so? A week is pretty stupid to be counting.

Yay pony pythons!

Yes! The takeover of American capitalism continues unabated!

Well maybe that's a little extreme but being a 360 supporter this is good news to me. We've gotta man-up those Japanese a little. Get less anime and more war simulations!

Won't last. The release of Yakuza 3 will push the Ps3 into the top spot next week.

Everyone in Japan has like three Wiis in every room of their house so I'm not surprised to see the 360 or PS3 pull ahead.

seydaman:

Cousin_IT:

And I'll destroy you both with my deadly Sixaxi.....
Actually I'll probably just stay home.

Indigo_Dingo:

Jman1236:

Hardly a traditional JRPG though, its essentially a strategy game with a JRPG disguise. White Knight Chronicles may be the PS3 first true JRPG.

O how the mighty dollar has fallen...

seydaman:

Cousin_IT:

You know, I always thought the Console Wars would be fun to fight out as an actual war using the consoles themselves, and their accessories. Console-plate armour and swinging controllers and cartridges/discs.

The rivers of blood sounds more likely... Maybe possible with the amount of JRPG's, but to still beat Sony on it's absolute undisputed (or so we thought) home turf is amazing.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here