Tabula Rasa Going Out In A Blaze Of Glory

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Tabula Rasa Going Out In A Blaze Of Glory

NCsoft's failed MMOG Tabula Rasa is coming to an end tomorrow but apparently won't be going out quietly.

Tabula Rasa is rather unique among MMOGs, not because it was an overhyped mess that came crashing down only a year after it launched, but because of what's happened since. Normally when an MMOG goes belly-up, the end-days are ugly. Developers and support staff take their balls and go home, leaving players who remain in an increasingly barren and forgotten realm. But not so Tabula Rasa: After getting the chop in late November, the game went free in December but unlike most MMOGs that wind up their final days with free-to-play action, Tabula Rasa continued to accept new players.

Even stranger news came in mid-February, little more than two weeks from the close date, when a patch was released that not only fixed a few bugs but also updated some visuals and added new content, including new weapons and five models of mech suits. The update included a message saying that changes to certain parts of the game were being made "in preparation for imminent Bane hostilities," a line that looked at the time to be nothing more than a bit of off-the-cuff fiction for TR die-hards.

But it turns out there's more to it than just that. According to what will be the last Feedback Friday post, those Bane hostilities really are imminent. Making things worse, the Bane have apparently joined forces with the Neph - a far more technologically advanced faction of bad guys - to launch an all-out assault on Allied Free Sentient forces. Faced with near-certain destruction, the AFS has wheeled out the Doomsday device.

"We request that all military personnel begin fortifying defenses at every AFS base in preparation for a massive Bane assault," the final message says. "If enemy troop movements are as large as we fear, and the Neph are truly prepared to lead all out war against us, this may be our last stand. Penumbra has been informed of the situation and is standing by on the use of their last resort weapon. We can not afford to be complacent or uncertain, but if it is truly our destiny to be destroyed, we are taking them all with us. Good luck and godspeed."

It's fun to see such dedication and enthusiasm among the staff of a game in its final hours and I can't help but feel a twinge of regret over its passing as a result. On the other hand, maybe that imminent demise is what's allowed them to cut loose like this in the first place and if so, it's a lesson for MMOG developers everywhere: If you make things fun from the start, people might keep giving you money.

The final assault begins at 8 pm GMT on Centaurus and then at 8 pm CST on Hydra. Game servers will shut down around midnight in both time zones. Suit up, load up and let 'em come!

Hm, well, That actually sounds like fun. I'll give those guys kudos for having the stones to kill every last player in the game as a "Thank you" to their customers. I wonder what the screen will show when it's all over, a game of Space Invaders or something?

That is pretty awesome. Kind of makes me wish that I could have jumped in at the last minute, just to be around for the end of all things.

Well that's the coolest way to end support for a game ever.

Nothin quite like the end of the universe to convince people you failed.

If they had done something cool and distinctive like this earlier, maybe more of us would've cared and they wouldn't have failed.

Oh well. Live and learn.

*begins to clap*

Jacen Solo:
*begins to clap*

*begins to clap with him, starting the slow onset movie clap sequence*

Well... I've still got the client, I'll sure as hell be there for that.

TsunamiWombat:

Jacen Solo:
*begins to clap*

Hey I started that onset thingy.

Sounds like fun. Someone make a video of it and have Preview of Hell by Nasum playing in the background.

Wow, I'm proud of those developers.

*also claps*

That is so awesome. If a game had to go out, that is totally the best way to do it. They should do that for more MMO's in my opinion. Not a game ender, but just to get everyone to work together for something.

This sounds like fun. Much better then slow demise some other MMOs might experience in these cases. Kudos to the devs.

It certainly is a neat way to go out. And why not? They really have nothing to lose by doing what they are doing now.

If you go look up the Broken Toys blog, there's a great post detailing the timeline of the game in there. Seems that the disconnect that existed between development, marketing, and executives is what spelled this game's doom. Rarely do MMOs really fail when people doomcast them, but this is an exception.

*eyes tear up* beautiful, wish i could die defending the last remnants of my universe....

Very interesting way to end a game. Kudos to innovation.

TsunamiWombat:

Jacen Solo:
*begins to clap*

*joins in*

A genuinely good idea.

Lord_Panzer:

TsunamiWombat:

Jacen Solo:
*begins to clap*

*joins in*

A genuinely good idea.

*claps*

damn good, i wish i actually could be bothered to play that now

hehe, i like these devs

dogstile:

Lord_Panzer:

TsunamiWombat:

Jacen Solo:
*begins to clap*

*joins in*

A genuinely good idea.

*claps*

hehe, i like these devs

*Claps aswell*

Just so all of you know this game is now free to download and play so why not join in the last battle?

I've also seen too many companies who would treat the final days of their MMO as a chance to jump ship and abandon everything. It's nice to see one that is basically saying "It's all over, let's rock the place on the way out".

*joins the clapping*

Dieing and taking everyone else with you, god bless Tabula Rasa.

Um...In order to go out in 'a blaze of glory', wouldn't it have actually had to have been popular at some point?

*Salutes*
May you rest in peace Tabula Rasa, rest in peace.

Launching an all out war against everyone? Fuckin' A.

*Joins clapping*

linchowlewy:

dogstile:

Lord_Panzer:

TsunamiWombat:

Jacen Solo:
*begins to clap*

*joins in*

A genuinely good idea.

*claps*

hehe, i like these devs

*Claps aswell*

Just so all of you know this game is now free to download and play so why not join in the last battle?

*continues to clap since first post* If we joined now we'd only be level one we'd just get in the way, I say let the die hards take the glory. Also my hands hurt.

Wow, Tabula finally beat WoW, but its dead so WoW is still in the lead.

I am glad how it ended, I hope somebody makes some good youtube videos.

Wow, thats so damn cool. It feels odd to watch a MMOG pass away with what resembles, dare I say, dignity. Kudos indeed.

Jacen Solo:

linchowlewy:

dogstile:

Lord_Panzer:

TsunamiWombat:

Jacen Solo:
*begins to clap*

*joins in*

A genuinely good idea.

*claps*

hehe, i like these devs

*Claps aswell*

*continues to clap since first post* If we joined now we'd only be level one we'd just get in the way, I say let the die hards take the glory. Also my hands hurt.

*Claps*

I remember playing the Tabula Rasa beta and continuing on for a little while afterward. The dedication of the team to their game amazes me. I'm trying to put what I want to say into words, but I'm having a hard time coming up with what the emotion is.

Wait, there we go. It's awe.

I really am going to miss this game. Years from now I'm going to be saying, "Hey, remember that MMO that Richard Garriot made that took place in space? Man that was a cool game."

Nice of them to make an actual ending that players could enjoy, to some point at least, it's good to see that even though it was over-hyped the developers have continued their efforts with the game.

Isn't that the way all MMOs should end, makes me smile just thinking about it, and makes me wish I had joined up earlier. Massive props to the devs
*joins the line of virtual clappers*

Dammit. Now I want to join just to go out in a blaze of glory. Hell if more MMOs had shit like that, huge attacks on major cities then you can bet I would be into them more.

Best.Apocalypse.Ever!!!

*wants to look cool so starts clapping*

This reminds me of WoW's end-of-beta events.

This is probably the only way to really end an MMO. I think it's a fantastic idea.

Also, in case you guys didn't know, if you really want to participate, you can anyway if you have like an hour and a half. Every monster drops consumable "hyper-experience boosters" that give you 2000% exp, and red weapons /armor (picture legendaries in WoW if you played it, they do like 30k damage and such)

If you "grind" for about 2 hours, you'll be pretty close to the level cap, and you can probably have fun with this apocalypse thing.

I'll probably be there, but I might not be home for a while so I'm honestly not sure. It'd be great to take part in a battle like that.

*Adds another voice into the clapping*

I was there, man. I was there.

Well, for half of it at least. And I gotta say it was pretty awesome. Got some cool screenies too.

That was a very good idea.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or