BBFC Wants Less Sex (And Wangs) In Games

Pages 1 2 NEXT

While MSNBC is cheering for more intercourse in games, the British Board of Film Classification wants less.

The BBFC, well known for its not-quite-impartial view on films like Rebel Without a Cause(cut in order to reduce the "possibility of teenage rebellion"), has warned Sky News that sexual content in videogames is on the rise.

"On the whole, sexual activity in games is nowhere near as common as violence, but it is becoming more common," said board member Sue Clark. According to the BBFC, 74% of British parents want an independent review board to rate games, while 79% of them believe games can affect the minds of children.

The reasoning behind this? According to Clark, "If you've got a film with one (swear word) in it, you'll hear that word once, but in a game you can go back and play that bit again and again."

Apparently Ms. Clark has never heard of the "rewind" button.

Source: Destructoid
(Image)

Ergh....why oh why is this so hard? The Americans finally seem to be winning the media war against them, why has our own front turned so bad all of a sudden?

That doesn't suprise me.

When are parents going to realize that games aren't just for kids? I'm getting so annoyed at idiotic puritans restricting media intended for adults because they can't control their children.

So business as usual.

wow, does anyone elste now think that British movements are only for gays?

by that i mean protest groups, ect.

Goldbling:

Erm, wha-? For their rights, or for them to join?

PedroSteckecilo:
When are parents going to realize that games aren't just for kids? I'm getting so annoyed at idiotic puritans restricting media intended for adults because they can't control their children.

Indeed. We didn't ship enough of our religious right-wings out to the colonies, it seems.

The_root_of_all_evil:
"On the whole, sexual activity in games is nowhere near as common as violence, but it is becoming more common," said board member Sue Clark.

Only a mindless conservative robot would equate sex with violence so unequivocally.

Doug:

Goldbling:

Don't really know what you mean but i think your trying to say, for gays rights, or for gays to join said protest groups

fanficbug:

The_root_of_all_evil:
"On the whole, sexual activity in games is nowhere near as common as violence, but it is becoming more common," said board member Sue Clark.

Only a mindless conservative robot would equate sex with violence so unequivocally.

Or anyone that's read Clive Barker. ;)

I'm starting to think we should begin treating these ignorant old people like trolls; ignore them and hope they go away.

*sigh* If only real life had a "report" button, eh?

"your the reason that murder should be legalised"

anyone guess where thats from, you get a cookie, also, its relevant, seriously these people need to grow up and take some responsibility

The BBFC is unimpartial and bias and shouldn't be allowed to rate films let alone any more videogames, the current system where they rate some games and not others and still label games with PEGI ratings has left the general populace confused and is generally useless. Go back to unfairly rating films and simply tell everyone to look at the PEGI ratings on the box and perhaps make them more prominent in the red colours the BBFC have used so the parents can understand instead of the current system where PEGI can rate a game 12+ and the BBFC can stick another label on it with a 15.

The BBFC is a far far better rating board than PEGI. PEGI has the most back-assed-retarded rating system I've seen in a while. PEGI says FFXII and Valkyrie Chronicles are 16+. I mean WTF?

According to PEGI if a thief protagonist is seen in a positive light and doesn't receive punishment that's an automatic high age.

The BBFC game ratings are actually decent. Fallout 3 got an 18. Valkyrie and Skate unrated, Uncharted got a 15. The PEGI rating suggests that 15 year olds can't play a game involving gambling.

PEGI tells me that "Skate" is as bad as "Resistance: Fall of Man."

Goldbling:

Doug:

Goldbling:

Don't really know what you mean but i think your trying to say, for gays rights, or for gays to join said protest groups

Yeah, pretty much - I didn't get what you meant in the first place. Its recursive confusion! ;)

Nimbus:
I'm starting to think we should begin treating these ignorant old people like trolls; ignore them and hope they go away.

*sigh* If only real life had a "report" button, eh?

I think its called "death"

I think we might be interpreting this wrong. Do the comments represent the opinions of the BBFC, or the people the BBFC have spoken to?

EDIT: Quick bit of checking shows that the statistics are from a survey the BBFC did, but the stupid comment about swearing is hers.

Ah the BBFC, last bastion of 'No sex please, we're British' generation.

fix-the-spade:

The baby boomers?

Doug:

fix-the-spade:

The baby boomers?

The Baby boomers went through the 60's. They're the hyppocrit generation.

I want there to be less sex in games if only just to keep these people from screwing with games any more. The further we push the line forward, the further back they'll try to push it.

Like it or not,these guys have a moral high-ground and I honestly don't think we could win a legal battle. So, let's not push it...

Indigo_Dingo:

Doug:

fix-the-spade:

The baby boomers?

The Baby boomers went through the 60's. They're the hyppocrit generation.

Yup - hence why I was pointing out the hypocricy of the baby boomer, 'me' generation trying to force us to comfort to puritan ideals through not-so-divine bureaucracy.

Another day another peace of crap, really i dont get why these rating boards and groups get so high a made about a of sex, if its got 18 suck in full view on the box art that sort of content is expeatable.

Ahh crap...I'm starting to hate my username.

SomeBritishDude:

Technically, "Dude" is an American appellation. You may want to try SomeEnglishGent.

Or perhaps "SomeBritishChap"?

Desaari:
Or perhaps "SomeBritishChap"?

Nice first post.

On topic:

How come idiocy can influence more people than the actual intelligent people can?

Oh my god, secks!

...Come on, there's nerds out there who never get any action, so in-game sex is the closest they will get :P

Why do they think we're all evil rapist psycho killers now?

This really annoys me. Why are people so afraid of computer games given the actual unrelated violence that goes on in the streets.

Some parent claim PEGI is confusing! One guy said he thought the Simpsons game would be okay for his child but it was a 12+ where another game was 7+ and that confused him! HOW IS THAT CONFUSING, IT JUST SHOWS THAT THE SYSTEM WORKS BECAUSE IT OVERRIDES YOUR PRECONCEPTIONS!!!

We just need a big worldwide ad thing saying "GAMES ARE NOT TOYS. TREAT THEM LIKE MOVIES! DON'T GIVE LITTLE TIMMY THE 18+ ONE"

Hopefully people might just get the message.

BBFC - British Board of Film Classification.

They'll have to change film to Media or Multimedia but then they'd have to rate things like the web etc.

I wonder why books, newspapers and music are not rated, if we want to censor media then we have to be consistent

Uncompetative:

SomeBritishDude:

Technically, "Dude" is an American appellation. You may want to try SomeEnglishGent.

Well actually I'm techniqually a scot, so perhaps not. Like "SomeBritishChap" though. Or I suppose the Dude part could is ironic...Yer, that could work.

The_root_of_all_evil:

While MSNBC is cheering for more intercourse in games, the British Board of Film Classification wants less.

The BBFC, well known for its not-quite-impartial view on films like Rebel Without a Cause(cut in order to reduce the "possibility of teenage rebellion"), has warned Sky News that sexual content in videogames is on the rise.

"On the whole, sexual activity in games is nowhere near as common as violence, but it is becoming more common," said board member Sue Clark. According to the BBFC, 74% of British parents want an independent review board to rate games, while 79% of them believe games can affect the minds of children.

The reasoning behind this? According to Clark, "If you've got a film with one (swear word) in it, you'll hear that word once, but in a game you can go back and play that bit again and again."

Apparently Ms. Clark has never heard of the "rewind" button.

Source: Destructoid
(Image)

I actually feel sorry for the BBFC

If they were to ever be on a forum or even talk to ANY gamer everything that they will
throw at us will instantly be Backfired and proven wrong

They don't realsie that gamers are now a great force

That we have indured discrimination and predijuice

We have suffered so greatly from the foolish blows of the media

We have had to feel bad for being gamers

We've had to minimize a browser everytime someone walked in

We've had to have dirty looks be upon us when we say "I'm a gamer"

BUT

WE have indured long enough, we have taken every blow,

NO LONGER SHALL WE INDURE THIS

We will unleash such terrible vengance!!

No longer will we be bitch slapped

No longer will we be silenced and have our rights taken !!

We will show our true great power !

Every ounce of fury shall be unleashed !

Every faction shall join

FANBOYS UNITE !!

COME and join out great march to the so called political homeland and let us destroy there sub human, irrelvant, disgusting,Articles !!!

Oh how wrong they shall be proven

"They will Know that Gaming belongs to the Gamers"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook