1 in 3 Potential God of War 3 Buyers PS3-Less

Pages 1 2 NEXT

1 in 3 Potential God of War 3 Buyers PS3-Less

Could God of War 3 be more of a system-seller than predicted? OTX analyst Nick Williams thinks so, claiming that one-third of people who intend to buy the game don't even have a PS3 yet.

As part of the most recent "Analyze This" column on Gamasutra, Nick Williams said that his company's data showed that Kratos' third rampage on consoles could be a veritable goldmine for Sony's shiny black behemoth of a console.

It's no secret that the Playstation 3's steep price point is a stumbling block for Sony's console, and one of the primary reasons that the console hasn't enjoyed anywhere near the broad market penetration of its predecessor. Williams believes that Sony can continue to lower the costs of production for the PS3, which means that they would be financially able to slash the console's price by Summer 2009 - right in time for God of War 3 to hit in late '09, early '10.

The one-two punch of a hot new exclusive and a cheaper PS3 might be a winning combination for Sony, argues Williams. There's also the counterargument, which says that this scenario will simply result in lower-than-expected God of War sales, rather than a spike in PS3s. Obviously, Sony would prefer one to the other, but nothing is certain.

I'd have my money on the 'selling less copies' option, especially given the state of the economy. Sony has also said fairly recently that they aren't planning on cutting their prices this year - which doesn't guarantee they won't, but does make a cut for the summer unlikely.

If they want to see higher-than-expected God of War 3 sales, maybe they should try dropping the price on the game.

I am among those PS3-less God of War III buyers. Well see as the year progresses.

I think not. Sales are going to pick up some, obviously, but this borders on unwise overoptimism. Planning ahead to pick up that many console sales only reminds me of how several *cough E.T., Pac-Man cough* Atari 2600 games were produced beyond the number they could possibly sell because of hopes for console sales. 1 title is going to make the console that much, even with the downturn continuing and the PS3 the most expensive base? Really?

If the economy starts to recover by the end of the year, then the first scenario may be possible (or if the PS3 gets a big enough price drop). However the recession will probably last a lot longer then until the end of this year so I would expect them to simply sell a lot less copies of God of War III.

I know this is a bit off-topic, but why does the zombie on the left have a crotch-fire?
Anyway, I'm prolly never gonna play it unless I wind up with a Sony fan as a room mate in Grad school. PS3s just aren't a good enough incentive for me.

Erana:
I know this is a bit off-topic, but why does the zombie on the left have a crotch-fire?
Anyway, I'm prolly never gonna play it unless I wind up with a Sony fan as a room mate in Grad school. PS3s just aren't a good enough incentive for me.

i think he is casting a spell

Pigeon_Grenade:

Erana:

It's probably because it got hit by Kratos, a bunch of sparkles that haven't flown away from its spawnpoint yet, which makes it look like a crotchfire ball.

level250geek:
I am among those PS3-less God of War III buyers. Well see as the year progresses.

You will buy one, and you know why?!?

Of course, if Sony "surprises" everyone with a cheaper GoW bundle, you'll probably see sales rise rather well.

Virgil:
I'd have my money on the 'selling less copies' option, especially given the state of the economy. Sony has also said fairly recently that they aren't planning on cutting their prices this year - which doesn't guarantee they won't, but does make a cut for the summer unlikely.

If they want to see higher-than-expected God of War 3 sales, maybe they should try dropping the price on the game.

Sonics Ultimate Megadrive collection retails for around $30 less than other games, how has that affected its sales?

GyroCaptain:
I think not. Sales are going to pick up some, obviously, but this borders on unwise overoptimism. Planning ahead to pick up that many console sales only reminds me of how several *cough E.T., Pac-Man cough* Atari 2600 games were produced beyond the number they could possibly sell because of hopes for console sales. 1 title is going to make the console that much, even with the downturn continuing and the PS3 the most expensive base? Really?

Perhaps you don't realise how fucking awesome God Of War III looks.

Also, whay are you using pics from the PsP game in an article talking about the Ps3 game? Why not just use some of the released screenshots?

I have a PS3 and I'm not going to buy God of War 3. I rented the first one for PS2 and I'm just not into those God of War/Devil may Cry hack and slash adventure games.

It sounds like this is the last of the God of War games. At least fans can finally move on to a different hack and slash adventure game, with all new skins.

level250geek:

I'm with you. I loved the first 2, but I bought a 360 because of the price difference in the consoles. This game just might make me buy one. We shall see.

Indigo_Dingo:
Sonics Ultimate Megadrive collection retails for around $30 less than other games, how has that affected its sales?

I would postulate that its sales are higher than they would have been otherwise. For example, I bought it :P

Scypemonk:

Pigeon_Grenade:

Erana:

From his crotch?

It's God of War. He's probably summoning a giant phallus or pair of mouldy tits to beat people with.

On another less suprising note: I want this bloody game.

Virgil:

Indigo_Dingo:

I would postulate that its sales are higher than they would have been otherwise. For example, I bought it :P

Ok, bad example. God Of War seems like a game where theres not that much middle ground to it - either you think its fucking awesome, or you're stupid (j/k). The people who are gonna play it are gonna play it at any price, and a lower price is unlikely to motivate the people who aren't gonna buy it anyway.

I dunno...it's hard for me to believe a game is going to move systems when the last two iterations could be beaten in the space of a rent. I dig the games but they're basically giant rollercoasters.

level250geek:

Same here. For me, it's hard to justify buying a next-gen system to play an awesome game when I've already got one (Xbox 360) with a ton of awesome games I've *already bought* and haven't played yet, and two last gen (PS2 and GC) systems where I'm in the same position as far as a backlog of games.

I'm a poor man with a minnimum wage job. So as much as I love GoW I may have to pass.

But I may have a better job by summer 2009, so I'll have to se how things look then.

I have a PS3 and I have never regretted the decision and I am excited about God of War III and I will be buying it as soon as it comes out

Eh, I never played the first two. They sound pretty cool, but there's no way in hell I'd buy a console just for one game.

runtheplacered:
I have a PS3 and I'm not going to buy God of War 3. I rented the first one for PS2 and I'm just not into those God of War/Devil may Cry hack and slash adventure games.

It sounds like this is the last of the God of War games. At least fans can finally move on to a different hack and slash adventure game, with all new skins.

^^^This

MaxTheReaper:
Eh, I never played the first two. They sound pretty cool, but there's no way in hell I'd buy a console just for one game.

Good, and dont go-a changin', it was grusome my eyeballs still hurt from all the gay hacky slashy

Doesn't look that good to me...

Virgil:
I'd have my money on the 'selling less copies' option, especially given the state of the economy.

i disagree with you, most sane and well thinking people wouldn't go into debt for it. however there are enough americans that live off credit cards and the like, this will drive up the sales of the ps3 and most will just put it on their cc

i'm not saying it's a smart thing but they do it. i've heard too many tales of "oh well i can buy food or a video game system" in a video game store and they picked the video game system instead of the food

runtheplacered:

I kinda feel the same.
Hell Im still gonna buy it, because I like buying games, but I've never thought that the GOW series is as good as everyone says it is. But if it sells PS3s then I'm all for it. I'm hoping Sony ends up successful because if they have money then they can make shiny new games for me and my PS3 :)

Is there a statistic for ps3 owners who don't want to buy GOWIII? (I'm one of them).

Being smart aside, that does sound hugely influencial. I guess many people liked the first few games on the ps2 and are very interested in how the third one will turn out, even those former ps2 owners who might own a 360 now or have not bought a ps3 because of the price.

It will be interesting to see how this next killer app will affect the ps3's sales... much like I'm curious to see what Killzone 2 does to sales figures. We shall wait and see...

nova18:

runtheplacered:

I kinda feel the same.
Hell Im still gonna buy it, because I like buying games, but I've never thought that the GOW series is as good as everyone says it is. But if it sells PS3s then I'm all for it. I'm hoping Sony ends up successful because if they have money then they can make shiny new games for me and my PS3 :)

That's very true. I'd really like to see the PS3 become successful. I bet Final Fantasy XIII could move a few units if ever a game could. Assuming we see it sometime this century.

I think a One-Two punch FOUR years after the release of the Xbox 360 and 3 years after the release of the Wii might not be enough for a "winning combination." No matter how many blades Kratos carries.

Oh the PS3. Still theoretically the cheapest 7th gen gaming console.

Virgil:

Oh the PS3. Theoretically the cheapest 7th gen gaming console.

I wish PS3 games were cheaper though. I wouldn't feel so bad for spending $60.

This article makes it sound like 1 in 3 people who actually plan on buying GoW III do not have a PS3.

ElArabDeMagnifico:
This article makes it sound like 1 in 3 people who actually plan on buying GoW III do not have a PS3.

Well, I'll probably buy it when it comes out, and I don't have a PS3 - my dad does, though. But by then I might have bought my own, so who knows?

ElArabDeMagnifico:

I think that's the idea.

I'm one of them. :P

It won't convince me to get the system, but if the system drops in price as the game comes out...

Eh, we'll see.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or