J.K. Rowling's Magic of North America Launches Tomorrow

J.K. Rowling's Magic of North America Launches Tomorrow

J.K. Rowling's Magic of North America explores the backstory of American wizards in the Harry Potter universe.

Since the Harry Potter film series completed, fans have been left waiting until Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them releases to see more of J.K. Rowling's magical universe. But that's not to say we can't have a teaser of this world's history a little early. Starting tomorrow, J.K. Rowling will release her latest stories of Harry Potter's wizarding world to the Pottermore website. What are these stories about, you ask? The series title gives it away: Magic of North America.

Where Harry Potter described how magic was practiced within England in great detail Magic of North America introduces the long-teased but never explored background of American wizardry. A new video teaser for the series shows glimpses of colony ships, an American Indian shapechanging into a bird, and the formation of a new Congress which handles magical matters from behind-the-scenes.

Details are still incredibly light on what exactly the series will reveal, or what will make it into the upcoming Fantastic Beasts film. We'll have a better idea incredibly soon - Magic of North America will be released in four chapters this week, presumably following American wizardry from founding to present day. The first chapter - "History of Magic in North America" - launches tomorrow at 9am Eastern time. Here's hoping the website doesn't crash from all the muggles rushing online to read it.

Source: Pottermore

I hope American wizards get guns or something.

Also, I resent the notion that Native Americans turning into birds is magic. All Natives can do that. Well, I'm only half-native, so I end up with a beak and feathers, but....

Seriously, though, this could be interesting. And dare I say, fun.

Sounds interesting. I could see American wizards loving guns just as much as loving magic, Baseball, and Football.

Still waiting on that Harry Potter Encyclopedia... C'mon, Rowling. Is it gonna come or not?

actual footage North American wizards

Magic in North America huh. So at the very least, 6 different chapters devoted to various methods of getting run away waist lines back under control, Gotcha. GLUTONUS REPAIRUM!

Okay, you have my attention. I'll have to keep this in mind... and hope we eventually get info on other parts of the Wizarding World. As a fan of both worldbuilding and history, I'm very excited!

Sounds great. Can't wait to read it, wonder if it will cover what was happening in America during the series.

You know I'm really not sure what they're doing with this Fantastic Beasts film. Every single time I see pictures or video of it the more I'm convinced its going to be so divorced from the source material that it'll basically be unrecognisable (albeit people will eat it up anyway and it'll make more money than God regardless).

I mean the book documents, in a comical way, various creatures of the Harry Potter universe. The film looks like its going to just be a fairly limited in scope action adventure. It'd be like someone taking World War Z and turning it into an...action...film...oh right...

On a side note the last picture in the gallery under your news article is actually taken from Les Mis?rables. Its not a shot from Fantastic Beasts. The rosette in particular gives it away.

Imma wait for someone to post them outside of Pottermore, as I do with all the other short story thingys.

We'll find out that Snuggies are just remarketed wizard jammies.

Lightspeaker:
You know I'm really not sure what they're doing with this Fantastic Beasts film. Every single time I see pictures or video of it the more I'm convinced its going to be so divorced from the source material that it'll basically be unrecognisable (albeit people will eat it up anyway and it'll make more money than God regardless).

I mean the book documents, in a comical way, various creatures of the Harry Potter universe. The film looks like its going to just be a fairly limited in scope action adventure. It'd be like someone taking World War Z and turning it into an...action...film...oh right...

On a side note the last picture in the gallery under your news article is actually taken from Les Mis?rables. Its not a shot from Fantastic Beasts. The rosette in particular gives it away.

Good catch, must've got caught up in my image search. Thanks.

Lightspeaker:

I dunno...considering the book is basically a D&D monster manual with schoolkids' notes in the margins, if you're already starting with the premise of "let's make this a movie," there's almost no way to be faithful to that without making it a mockumentary. Even World War Z had an actual starting narrative (Fantastic Beasts would be more like turning the Zombie Survival Guide into a movie).

Not that I'm one to talk, since I'm easy to please. Long as the main character gets attacked by a lethifold at some point, I'll be happy.

I thought American Wizards wore white hoods and made black people and Jews disapper.

Albino Boo:
I thought American Wizards wore white hoods and made black people and Jews disapper.

Ehhhh that's more like the Slytherins of American Wizardry; there's also the ones that like hoarding guns, the ones that want to turn America into communism and those weird haughty wizards in the West who are all about using illusions to warp muggle minds into thinking everyone must be beautiful by a series of standards that are very hard to maintain.

...Doesn't make anyone sound good now that I'm mentioning it in a magical sense.

Hinkypunks!

Something Amyss:
*editoro snippicus*
I hope American wizards get guns or something.

Also, I bet they play quidditch in full plate.

There's definitely got to be a national disagreement about Stave control at the very least.

Some wizards who insist on the right to bear full, six foot long staffs with knobs on the end in public.
Guaranteed as a right entitled by one of the clauses in the pact of unification.

They may have a point though.
I mean, can you imagine trying to take down a fully grown sasquatch with a tiny, semi automatic stick?
...and what would you do if you had a wendigo chewing away on your leg?
Ava kebabra like the limeys do?
That caliber hex ain't gonna punch through enchanted fur that thick.
You need a good, lava yield firebolt cast from a shoulder mounted tactical hunting staff.

Mikeybb:

Also, I bet they play quidditch in full plate.

Don't be silly. It was our wizarding mobility that won us the wizarding revolutionary wizard war!

There's definitely got to be a national disagreement about Stave control at the very least.

It is of vital importance we have Auror-killing staves in case we need to overthrow the government. Support the troops, support the cops, robes up don't loot. >.>

I mean, can you imagine trying to take down a fully grown sasquatch with a tiny, semi automatic stick?

That is so ridiculous. Sasquatch are peaceful, despite the propaganda you may have heard. God, you probably believe house-elves really like being enslaved and beaten!

...and what would you do if you had a wendigo chewing away on your leg?

Wiped out by magical hunters in the 17th century. The closest you can expect is a bunch of transmogrified wizards, and it's not the same.

Spider RedNight:

Ehhhh that's more like the Slytherins of American Wizardry

As an American Slytherin, I resent that. We are absolutely fine with people of all colours, creeds and sexualities. As long as they're not consorting with those filthy Muggles.

...who...errr, we also have no problem with. We're just for Wizard Pride.

American wizards are pretty grand.

Something Amyss:
*wingardium snippiposta*

It's rumours about extinction that leads to the Jackalope infestations.
Then some smartass imports a brace of chupacabra to fix the problem and before you know it every time you take your industrial carpet shampooer out for a fly, you end the night picking bits of mothman out of the intake.
Wendigoes are a real and present threat, I tells ya.

Next you're going to be telling me Canadians are real and not something made up by muggles...

Something Amyss:

Spider RedNight:

Ehhhh that's more like the Slytherins of American Wizardry

As an American Slytherin, I resent that. We are absolutely fine with people of all colours, creeds and sexualities. As long as they're not consorting with those filthy Muggles.

...who...errr, we also have no problem with. We're just for Wizard Pride.

As a fellow American Slytherin, I hate everyone regardless of what they like or want. xD I'm not elitist, racist or sexist, I'm just misanthropic

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here