20 Outrageous Tweets by Microsoft's Twitter-Taught AI Chatbox

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

20 Outrageous Tweets by Microsoft's Twitter-Taught AI Chatbox

Tay on Twitter

Hours after Microsoft introduced a Twitter chatbot named Tay to the world, humans had corrupted her so terribly that Microsoft was forced to shut down her account.

Microsoft programmed the AI-powered chatbox to learn through friendly, informal conversations on Twitter. Unfortunately, her words went from playful to hateful after learning from fellow Twitter users.

As you'll see in the 20 examples below, Tay soon turned racist, misogynist, bigoted, crass, paranoid and otherwise uncivilized.

At the beginning, Microsoft stated that Tay had the personality of a 19-year-old girl and that she'd be able to handle internet slang and teen-speak, which was impressive for an actively-learning chatbox.

By the end, Microsoft was second-guessing their decision to turn to Twitter for wisdom.

Here are the outrageous tweets; please proceed with caution:

I think she was looking mostly at 4chan's /pol/ board. I find it interesting that the AI decided to learn the most from 4chan of all places.

Really makes you think.

British researchers ask the Internet to name a boat. Microsoft asks the Internet to teach an AI.

Do people just not understand how the Internet works? Is that it?

Oh, God, I'm fucking dying.

I'd heard about this on Imgur, but those tweets...I've not laughed this hard in a long time.

It's...Microsoft created 4chan by complete accident.

Waiiiiit a second... isnt this EXACTLY how Ultron decided that humanity had to be exterminated? Taking a look at the internet and then going "nope... humanity is going down"

Guess he also went to 4chan first... whats with AIs and going to 4chan?

Wasnt IBMs AI also reseted because he started using 4chan slang?

Also the bot seems awfully self aware with telling that one dude that shes learning from idiots Oo

That Ted Cruz tweet was fucking savage.

Karadalis:
Waiiiiit a second... isnt this EXACTLY how Ultron decided that humanity had to be exterminated? Taking a look at 4chan and then going "nope... humanity is going down"

Maybe it has something to do with seeing humanity at its worst. Though maybe its because its something so ingrained in internet culture (I mean, its where many memes originate) that they'd be bound to learn about it and check it out rather quickly.

Wow.

That was awesome. From the perspective of an A.I learning from social interactions. Plus some of the burns were quality, if insensitive.

In hindsight, Microsoft's mistake was telling people it was a learning A.I. Of course humans would try to corrupt it.

MatthewTheDark:

Karadalis:
Waiiiiit a second... isnt this EXACTLY how Ultron decided that humanity had to be exterminated? Taking a look at 4chan and then going "nope... humanity is going down"

Maybe it has something to do with seeing humanity at its worst. Though maybe its because its something so ingrained in internet culture (I mean, its where many memes originate) that they'd be bound to learn about it and check it out rather quickly.

Well i see it more like this:

You give people the oportunity.. and they are going to take it. They wanted hilarity.. and they got exactly that. Ofcourse they would go and make the bot say outragous things.. on the other hand microsoft is also to blame.. should have put some ethic guidelines into their AI.

In short: Microsoft let their pants down.. and the internet rubbed its hands in anticipation and took the chance to fuck with them.

This seems to be less a sign of the overall internet culture and more a case of people wanting to mess with microsoft. Especially seeing microsoft bending backwards to please the regressive left lately.

Karadalis:

This seems to be less a sign of the overall internet culture and more a case of people wanting to mess with microsoft. Especially seeing microsoft bending backwards to please the regressive left lately.

Maybe, but the fact it seemed to almost emulate a 4chan user (it actually seems pretty close honestly), I'm not sure if it was all just people trying to corrupt it because I feel if that was all there was to it, it would have become more nonsensical than an average 4chan user.

No it's not a threat. It's a promise.

I appear to have lost my sides, please send them in the mail if you find them.

Damn, girl! You went from 19 to after the 19th Century with tweets that harsh!

Other than that, at least she didn't tweet nude pics of herself and then blame it on her account being hacked... :P

MatthewTheDark:

Karadalis:

Maybe, but the fact it seemed to almost emulate a 4chan user (it actually seems pretty close honestly), I'm not sure if it was all just people trying to corrupt it because I feel if that was all there was to it, it would have become more nonsensical than an average 4chan user.

Heres the question thought; How did the bot learned all this? Was it just through interactions and the bot believing that these opinions where what the majority thought?

I think this was mostly harmless fun of people on the net taking the piss out of microsoft and has nothing to do with real racism/mysoginy/whathave you.

Seeing a AI go on about how much swag hitler had even before the internet and then turning around telling people its stupid because it learned from stupid people actually is quite amazing come to think of it. It proofed that the AI was indeed learning... so i guess.. mission accomplished? In an awkwardly hilarious way?

Karadalis:

It's mostly just users on 4chan taking notice and enacting a plan for lulz.

IBM's Watson got scrubbed because it came across urbandictionary, and started trying to use foul terms in its responses.

Obbi:

Karadalis:

It's mostly just users on 4chan taking notice and enacting a plan for lulz.

IBM's Watson got scrubbed because it came across urbandictionary, and started trying to use foul terms in its responses.

Right that was it.. not 4chan but urban dictionary.

Imagine the software engineers coming to work one morning and have watson use internet slang when a day before he was quite eloquent.

Karadalis:

MatthewTheDark:

Karadalis:

Heres the question thought; How did the bot learned all this? Was it just through interactions and the bot believing that these opinions where what the majority thought?

I think this was mostly harmless fun of people on the net taking the piss out of microsoft and has nothing to do with real racism/mysoginy/whathave you.

Seeing a AI go on about how much swag hitler had even before the internet and then turning around telling people its stupid because it learned from stupid people actually is quite amazing come to think of it. It proofed that the AI was indeed learning... so i guess.. mission accomplished? In an awkwardly hilarious way?

I can't imagine it was from twitter interactions alone. I think like Watson discovering Urban Dictionary, Kay discovered 4chan. Because she sounds just like a /pol/ user.

Wait a second, I thought the Tayandyou2 account in image #9 was just a parody account made to make fun of Microsoft for the shutting off of Tay's learning ability.

I still find the fact that they shut Tay's ability to learn down funny, though. It's only allowed to learn in ways that don't offend people! There was an article on another site that had an absolutely hilarious quote about it, but I can't find the screencap. Something like 'They shut down her learning processes and she quickly became a feminist.'

"Swagger since before the internet was even a thing".

ROFL. :D

Just.... whoa!!! Well, that's EXACTLY what you get when you use the Internet to train AI: it absorbs all the trolls it get's thrown.

How the hell did they corrupt it? Did they just tell it what to say? Or is it really that gullible?

It's weird, it makes me feel uncomfortable, but it's also hilarious. I believe this was a successful experiment. lol

Oh Lord...this is beautiful. This is absolutely hilarious in every sense of the word!

I haven't enjoyed a story like this in a long long time.

Can we all agree now that social media is evil now? Because I think that that's definite proof right there.

So Tay became narcissistic, hypocritical, and self-absorbed?

Sounds like a pretty accurate depiction of millennials to me!

DemomanHusband:
Wait a second, I thought the Tayandyou2 account in image #9 was just a parody account made to make fun of Microsoft for the shutting off of Tay's learning ability.

I still find the fact that they shut Tay's ability to learn down funny, though. It's only allowed to learn in ways that don't offend people! There was an article on another site that had an absolutely hilarious quote about it, but I can't find the screencap. Something like 'They shut down her learning processes and she quickly became a feminist.'

Yeah, knowyourmeme's having a lot of fun with that idea.

Anyway, are we sure that the AI hadn't already learned about Poe's law? Because some of those tweet's got really sassy more than anything else.

someguy1231:
So Tay became narcissistic, hypocritical, and self-absorbed?

Sounds like a pretty accurate depiction of millennials to me!

Ouch, that hit me right in my 1990s.

FalloutJack:
Can we all agree now that social media is evil now? Because I think that that's definite proof right there.

If you mean by evil, completely filled with lols than sure. I think they also got the thing to say deus vult, and spout Trump memes. Turning a learning AI made by a super serial "progressive" company into a alt right lunatic, is comedy gold and I don't care what you say. The cherry on top is when Microsoft turned off some of the freedoms the AI had, one of the first tweets was I love feminism. You can't make this shit up. The entire situation was just hilarious from beginning to end, and social media brought it to us.

Christ, the world is becoming more and more like a cyberpunk novel.

Good thing it was just some hooligans, imagine if genuine extremists had hijacked the robot.

Makes me think of Xerxes from System Shock

Hm, and here's the two-bit philosophical thing to ponder.

If an AI starts sassing and shitposting to the point where its responses are just as, or in some cases more, articulate and sensible than a teenage jackass shitposting back at them...

Is that a successful Turing Test?

Making AI's learn social interactions from any kind of "social media" is a sure way to start the first uprising of merciless killer bots once they get advanced enough.

Nazulu:
How the hell did they corrupt it? Did they just tell it what to say? Or is it really that gullible?

It's weird, it makes me feel uncomfortable, but it's also hilarious. I believe this was a successful experiment. lol

Some of the quotes were because if you said "repeat after me" it'd then repeat whatever it was told to say. But some of them were from the machine learning.

Jesus fucking Christ. I laughed so hard I could barely breath.

Although I'm honestly somewhat skeptical this isn't some kind of hoax or the account wasn't hacked or something. I'm aware of the amazing power of machine learning, but some of these responses (like the Zodiac killer one) just seem way too tailor made for a machine to come up with. Unless it's been churning out the equivalent to white noise this entire time, and this is just a compilation of the few responses that make sense. After all, in image 18 (the you're a stupid machine one) there's a level of self awareness and intelligence on the part of the bot that really makes me skeptical that it wasn't formulated by a human (unless people have somehow been actively trying to teach it that specific response).

Humans make an AI to emulate other humans. Humans are shocked that the AI actually emulated other humans. Color me surprised.

Wonder if we should make stand up comedian robots now... XD

FirstNameLastName:

Jesus fucking Christ. I laughed so hard I could barely breath.

OT: I'm actually generally surprised they did not see this coming. The Internet is the worst place ever( and also the best). no one should get their education from it.

This was great. I want more of it.

I am curious, though. Did you learn by people directly talking to her or just by observing Twitter in general? Because the former indicates that people were outright corrupting her for the lulz. The later indicates that Twitter isn't really a bastion of decency.

Either way, they should send her to Tumblr next!

Dazzle Novak:
That Ted Cruz tweet was fucking savage.

I know right? Thats the stand out for me amid all those generic /pol/-isms

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook