Backers Have Pledged $500 Million to Games on Kickstarter

Backers Have Pledged $500 Million to Games on Kickstarter

kickstarter

2.2 million people have pledged more than half a billion dollars to game-related Kickstarter campaigns.

In a post yesterday, Kickstarter's David Gallagher revealed that more than $500 million has been pledged to about 8,000 game-related Kickstarter campaigns from more about 2.2 million backers.

"Sometime last night, one of you went and did it - pushed us over the line, hauled us up to a huge milestone: $500 million pledged to games on Kickstarter," the post reads. "That's half a billion dollars pledged to a wild array of mobile games, party games, artsy games, silly games, FPSes, and MMORPGs."

Interestingly tabletop games made up the bulk of that, with $265 million pledged. Video games have seen $186 million, while "other" (hardware maybe?) makes up $49 million.

The post also outlines some tidbits from some successful Kickstarter campaigns. For example, of the 758 Cards Against Humanity backers, 440 have contributed to a combined 4,474 additional projects. About half of the 219,389 backers who supported Exploding Kittens were new to Kickstarter, and many have since gone on to back projects like Joking Hazard, Yooka-Laylee, Bloodstained, the Dark Souls board game, Million Dollars, But..., Awful Fantasy, and Chronicles of Elyria.

"Overall, more than 2 million people have backed Games projects on Kickstarter, successfully funding nearly 8,000 projects. And more games backers sign up every day," the post concludes. "We're grateful to have a growing community that loves games and loves to show their support for the people who make them. Here's to the next $500 million!"

And, of course, there's an accompanying infographic.

And how many of those were actually finished?

They need to make a site for all the unfinished/abandoned Kickstarter projects. Perhaps RIPstarter?

Quitstarter?

I am curious how much ultimately goes to finished projects.

OMG - a simulation game where you peruse fake Kickstarter pages and invest your hard earned cash. You get points for how cool a finished project you invested in is. You get more points the more you invested. If the project is too cool, it may not get finished since the dev has no realistic sense of what is possible in a given period of time.

RaikuFA:

A pretty significant number. Darkest Dungeon, Wasteland 2, Hyper Light Drifter, Oh My God There's An Axe In My Head!, Above and Below, Superhot, and Pillars of Eternity all pop to mind, most of which I've had a good amount of fun with. Plus, Obduction and Torment: Tides of Numenara have release dates.

Things seem to be going pretty well for most of the projects I was interested in.

And outside of Kickstarter, we still have some success stories, like Prison Architect.

People need to be less quick to fuss.

lacktheknack:

RaikuFA:

A pretty significant number. Darkest Dungeon, Wasteland 2, Hyper Light Drifter, Oh My God There's An Axe In My Head!, Above and Below, Superhot, and Pillars of Eternity all pop to mind, most of which I've had a good amount of fun with. Plus, Obduction and Torment: Tides of Numenara have release dates.

Things seem to be going pretty well for most of the projects I was interested in.

And outside of Kickstarter, we still have some success stories, like Prison Architect.

I was trying to be funny. I sucked at it.

RaikuFA:

Oh. Sorry. :(

lacktheknack:

RaikuFA:

Oh. Sorry. :(

Its ok. Not every joke is golden.

RaikuFA:

The answer is most of them.

The real surprise is how many of them have turned out to be good. Sure there have been a bunch of failures, but that comes with the territory of funding unmade games.

I find it interesting that tabletop has made more than videogames. I expect Games Workshop's strangle hold on table top makes it hard to create and distribute a large scale production table top game, but a smaller run can easily be funded on Kickstarter.

fix-the-spade:

I find it interesting that tabletop has made more than videogames. I expect Games Workshop's strangle hold on table top makes it hard to create and distribute a large scale production table top game, but a smaller run can easily be funded on Kickstarter.

That and tabletop games require a higher pledge amount if you actually want to get something back. I had a look back at the projects I've pledged for and the average amount you would need to pledge to get a digital game key is about $20 USD. The average board game project starts at around $50 USD and only goes up (The base version of the Dark Souls board game was 80 Pounds).

lacktheknack:

RaikuFA:

You also forgot the Shadowrun trilogy (Shadowrun Returns, Shadowrun Dragonfall, and Shadowrun Hong Kong). Harebrained Schemes delivered all three games as promised (and on time too).

And yet we still can't get a decent FPS Warhammer 40k game!
Thanks Obama!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here