Bethesda Reveals Quake - Champions as PC Exclusive

Bethesda Reveals Quake - Champions as PC Exclusive

In the same vein as this year's Doom reboot, it looks like an old-school style Quake reboot is in the works.

Bethesda has kicked off its E3 press conference with a bang, revealing a completely new title: Quake - Champions, with a CGI trailer. From the looks of things, this Quake reboot is taking things back old-school style, in the same vein that this year's Doom reboot did. Check it out to the right.

In its press conference, Bethesda said that the game would be an arena-style PC exclusive. Rather than the traditional Quake gameplay of picking up guns throughout the level, players will choose specific "Champions" to play as, who each have specific weapons and abilities (a-la Overwatch). There will, of course, be no limit on framerates for the game, as it is designed to be incredibly fast-paced like the Quake arena shooters of old.

There will be more information revealed on the title at this year's Quakecon. No release date information was provided.

Source: Bethesda

...So... Quake III: Arena: MOBA edition? I can get behind that.

The class system sounds kind of horrible. I was bored with the overwatch class system the same day it launched, since it's so repetative and frustrating being limited to one weapon.
They're messing with something that ain't broken in order to compete with Overwatch? Bad ideas all around.

Id be more impressed if it was single player. We could use a modern version of quake 1.

Pass. Major pass.

Tired of "heroes" and "champions". Just fucking stop.

Worgen:
Id be more impressed if it was single player. We could use a modern version of quake 1.

Was that a pun? Because it looks like a pun.

It looks fine for a cinematic teaser. But it is QUake. It need the gameplay. Then I'll show interest. BUt as to this, where is teh B-Cell thread?

I'd love a singleplayer remake of the more gothic oriented Quake before it went all techbase on us. (I am aware that big chunks of the first Quake were techbase as well, but that game was all over the place.)

Quake Multiplayer - I am out. They can keep their BS.

And update to the first Quake however - gosh the Shambler should look really terriying in today's graphics.

Wrex Brogan:

If that's the case you should take a look at Lawbreakers. That might tickle your fancy.

So they're repeating the mistake of Doom's multiplayer and trying to make it into something else.

Genius, genius I tell you!

I expect it will have the same problem as Doom, people will pick it up, go this isn't Quake and immediately go back to playing Overwatch/Counter Strike/Siege/Call of Duty/Battlefield.

They had me at arena style shooter but they lost me at class based. For good. If I want to play a class based game I'll play Team Fortress 2 or I'll get into Overwatch. I expected only one thing from Quake and it seems they can't even do that right.

Gutting Quake so you can follow the Overwatch train?
Great.
Wonderful.
Fuck.

The trailer looks awful. As if it was made by complete amateurs.
The movement look so floaty, the guns look so weak, music and sounds are beyond redemption. Even if it wasn't Team Fortress 4 I wouldn't be interested in this.

I had been predicting that we'd see a revival of old school style shooters, as first we saw a wolfenstein game, followed by a doom game, and with a new unreal around the corner I was betting we'd see a new quake as well. I'm glad to know my intuition skills are better than I thought, but I am sick to death of class based multiplayer shooters. Don't get me wrong, I'm in love with overwatch at the moment, and I loved TF2, but I want more single player shooters that are good, but if I can't have that, at least don't shoehorn in a class system just to hop on the band wagon. Please, give me my arena shooters where I have to get to the weapons I want rather than just giving me a weapon or two that I'm stuck with. This is why I got out of shooters, because the class system, unless down so over the top, is a boring system. Please, for once, listen to your fanbase. You've done great things with wolfenstein and doom in the last few years, please learn from them and understand why we are happy with what they are.

Games take years to finish. They most likely looked at the market a few years back and thought "hey these class based team arena shooters are taking off, we should get in on this!".

Even though it's over-saturated at this point, they cant turn back now.

Would be much more on board if it was done by LITERALLY any company other than Bethesda

Maybe I'm entirely wrong, but, it feels like everyone's jumping in the multiplayer arena matches, after Overwatch.

Rather than the traditional Quake gameplay of picking up guns throughout the level, players will choose specific "Champions" to play as, who each have specific weapons and abil---

ANNNND I lost interest.

It's probably going to be in some sort of version of their crappy gambryo engine, and a rip-off of overwatch. The multi-player in Doom 2016 was bad enough that it nearly killed off interest in the main game.

Quake 3 arena was neraly perfection. People want colorful stylized arena shooters again. Everyone is sick to death of dark and gritty "realistic" shooters.

ShakerSilver:
Gutting Quake so you can follow the Overwatch train?
Great.
Wonderful.
Fuck.

Don't forget Bethesda had some class based TF2 style thing in development already before Overwatch was even announced and they axed it, presumably because nobody fucking cared.

But now the Overwatch hype train is running at full steam, so they'll jump on and fuck an old franchise up in the process. Presumably this time round people will actually care, if only because of the Quake name. And they'll be gone quickly when they realize its Overwatch with a skin.

Bravo Bethesda. At least we get a remastered version of Skyrim which looks like the original running the shittiest ENB to be found on Nexus mods.

In the same vein as this year's Doom reboot, it looks like an old-school style Quake reboot is in the works.

YESSSSSSSSS! I was always more of a Quake guy then a Doom guy, maybe because Doom 1&2 had that pseudo-3D nonsense going about, maybe because the Railgun was FUCKIN' SWEET... whatever.

Bethesda has kicked off its E3 press conference with a bang, revealing a completely new title: Quake - Champions, with a CGI trailer. From the looks of things, this Quake reboot is taking things back old-school style, in the same vein that this year's Doom reboot did. Check it out to the right.

Huh, I don't see any actual gameplay in that trailer, it's all pre-rendered, but still-

In its press conference, Bethesda said that the game would be an arena-style PC exclusive. Rather than the traditional Quake gameplay of picking up guns throughout the level, players will choose specific "Champions" to play as, who each have specific weapons and abilities (a-la Overwatch).

Oh goddamnit. And no single-player. So it has basically nothing in similar with the Quake games except name recognition. DOG.DAMNIT.

Fuck... if they could do a Quake V in the same vein of Doom 4, that would be awesome.

Devin Barker:
Would be much more on board if it was done by LITERALLY any company other than Bethesda

Well, its being developed by id, Bethesda is just publishing it, and Bethesda as a publisher has been pretty hands off, so its up to id to make it good or not, though the concept annoys me to begin with.

If Bethesda the developer were making it, Id be on board...cause it would be a gothic open-world action shooter RPG, like Fallout 4, but with more monsters.

Flathole:

Oh goddamnit. And no single-player. So it has basically nothing in similar with the Quake games except name recognition. DOG.DAMNIT.

To be fair, Quake 3 was basically multiplayer focused with nothing but a bot-style "campaign" for single player so... you're kinda inaccurate in your assessment. Also Q3 was EXTREMELY popular, still is actually...

Imperioratorex Caprae:

To be fair, Quake 3 was basically multiplayer focused with nothing but a bot-style "campaign" for single player so... you're kinda inaccurate in your assessment. Also Q3 was EXTREMELY popular, still is actually...

Touche'. I've only played Q1 and Q2, also played the demo for Q4 but it was kind of bad.

Still, a class-based shooter? I mean... will there be low-mobility classes and dedicated healers? c'mon Bethesda, people play Quake to RAILGUN and ROCK IT LAWN CHAIR, just... come on...

Looks like they're trying to cover their bases and get into the class based shooter, which seems a little silly, honestly considering Quake's speedy arena roots. I wonder what they plan to bring to the table which will make the game worth the price of admission on release.

Um...remember Quake 1? That was a strange game, in retrospect. Might it have been interesting to revisit the odd game that seemed to mash fantasy horror and sci-fi together and make something new from that?

Eh, I thought it was cool. They probably moved over to extraterrestrial threats because lovecraftian monstrosities made Quake too similar to Doom.

Headsprouter:
They probably moved over to extraterrestrial threats because lovecraftian monstrosities made Quake too similar to Doom.

It was a fluke, actually. Quake 2 only received the "Quake" name because the developers couldn't decide on one and/or the names they wanted were already taken. This, being a sequel to a game that was meant to be full-fledged fantasy, but was converted into an FPS.

As I've said else, Quake is downright schizophrenic when you look at it as a series.

Hawki:

As I've said else, Quake is downright schizophrenic when you look at it as a series.

Schizophrenic, and owes its existence almost entirely to id's need of a franchise to showcase their new tech.

Wrex Brogan:

Honestly? I'm on board with this new Quake. I'm even down to seeing what they do with this pseudo-class-based setup.

As long as they include some kind of option to play in the classic arena-style gameplay, I'm fine with id experimenting in whatever way they want.

Consider me curious and cautiously optimistic.

Saelune:

Devin Barker:

Well, its being developed by id, Bethesda is just publishing it, and Bethesda as a publisher has been pretty hands off, so its up to id to make it good or not, though the concept annoys me to begin with.

If Bethesda the developer were making it, Id be on board...cause it would be a gothic open-world action shooter RPG, like Fallout 4, but with more monsters.

Actually Fallout is one of my problems with Bethesda, its just an ES reskin. I dont need to play the same game over and over with a new hat on it. While in this case it is not a reskin it is still exactly like several other games that are already out and I dont see what this can add to the mix to make it at all interesting.

Devin Barker:

Saelune:

Devin Barker:

Actually Fallout is one of my problems with Bethesda, its just an ES reskin. I dont need to play the same game over and over with a new hat on it. While in this case it is not a reskin it is still exactly like several other games that are already out and I dont see what this can add to the mix to make it at all interesting.

*shrugs* I -love- the Bethesda style, and like the Dynasty Warriors style, I often wish for different settings or worlds to get such a paintjob.

Holy shit, guys. It's a bloody teaser trailer and all I see is "whine whine WHINE! Competing with Overwatch lost me FOREVURZ!"

Jeez.

I remember the old Quake games (the good and the bad. And Quake 4.). Considering how enormously popular the Quake Arena games were back in the day, I'm not surprised that they're apparently going for the same idea here (and what is Quake Arena the grandfather of, children? All of our multiplayer shooters today? That's right!). As it's a pre-rendered trailer, this video, while nice to watch, doesn't really tell us much beyond "this is what some of our characters will look like." While I'm quite interested, I'm gonna withhold judgement and see what else they tell us at Quakecon. We'll see where it goes.

Calm. Down.

Gearran:

I remember the old Quake games (the good and the bad. And Quake 4.).

While I'm quite interested, I'm gonna withhold judgement and see what else they tell us at Quakecon. We'll see where it goes.

I mean, if we're being realistic with ourselves, we should just come to terms with the fact that id doesn't really show off their big stuff until Quakecon. Sure, they may tease a few things here and there, but it's not until Quakecon that they roll out the 'real' reveals.

And frankly, that's as it should be.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here