New God of War Starring Aged Kratos Shown Off at Sony's E3 Presser

Pages 1 2 NEXT

New God of War Starring Aged Kratos Shown Off at Sony's E3 Presser

god-of-war-320

There's a new God of War game coming to PS4, and Sony showed off a first trailer at E3 today.

The newest title in the God of War series is unsurprisingly titled God of War. Although its existence has been rumored for some time, we got our first look at the gameplay tonight at Sony's E3 presser.

It features an older Kratos sporting a full beard and wielding an axe as he talks with his young son. He takes the boy hunting, and they wind up fighting a troll along the way. While the visuals are noticeably better than those in previous God of War titles, the mechanics look very familiar. The over-the-shoulder camera and the attack combos return, and Kratos is still a badass, even in his older years.

There's no mention of a release date, but it's definitely good to see that the God of War rumors were accurate. That said, most of the previous God of War games released in March, so it wouldn't be surprising if we saw it in stores next spring.

Kratos is the bad guy, when the hell are you going to be playing as someone else to kill his ass?

Worgen:
Kratos is the bad guy, when the hell are you going to be playing as someone else to kill his ass?

Kratos was a bad guy, and in the first game he actually had a pretty reasonable character arc.

Then God of War 2 and 3 set about ruining any potential the series might had had left. Kratos became a cartoonish caricature. He had almost no rhyme or reason to anything he did in either sequel, and there was literally no reason to play other than to get to the next big setpiece.

Still not sure if this is a reboot or a sequel, but I'm all for bringing things back down a notch. If we forget the second and third games happened (or better yet, start from scratch) there's probably some cool things you could do. Definitely get more of a Naughty Dog vibe from this game than the older ones. Hopefully they go more down that route this time.

This game looks awesome.
But I'm runnin' into the same "call it something else" problem I'm havin' with Prey, just remove the Kratos tattoo and call it something else and let me remember it as that game that's *like* God Of War; then again, once he gets to the god-killin' I'd probably call it a rip-off, I don't know what I want.

Anyway.

Game looks really cool, looks like they're really startin' from basics here and I like Kratos not being a complete dick anymore, the way he stops himself after his son first misses the deer, "ONLY FIRE-... only fire when I tell you to fire." He's a wee tad calmer, I like that. Oh he's still a bad dude but at least now he channels that into things that deserve it, that's pretty good by me.

I most likely am wrong, but I'm having this weird, strange feeling that Kratos will die and you'll play the kid.

Re-humanizing Kratos from MURDER MURDER SEX MURDER is probably a step in the right direction.

I wonder if it'll be open world-y, from the whole 'Discovered X' and 'Knowledge Gained; tracking' XP, I'd assume they're at least aiming to make it feel big.

You kinda saw him being an actual human being in Chains of Olympus with his daughter, but that was resolved rather quickly.

The kid has lightning powers, so I'm a little curious to know who he sexed up for his kid to have said powers.

I have a lot of questions, but hopefully they will be answered when the game comes out. Pretty stoked about it. :D

It is the same Kratos as before, he still has Spartan Rage as an ability. Which makes me wonder what he got up to since dragging himself away at the end of GOW3. Must have decided crapping on the Greek Pantheon was boring and went north to deal with the Norse gods.

Also, that camera angle was pretty terrible for a fighting game.

Fiz_The_Toaster:
You kinda saw him being an actual human being in Chains of Olympus with his daughter, but that was resolved rather quickly.

The kid has lightning powers, so I'm a little curious to know who he sexed up for his kid to have said powers.

I have a lot of questions, but hopefully they will be answered when the game comes out. Pretty stoked about it. :D

He probably has those from Zeus.

I'm not so sure about the camera angle. This feels very muh like The Last Of Us and not really like God of War. But I'm stoked.

Just one question remains, will I need the PS4 Neo to get the full experience or won't it have PS4 Neo enhancements.

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Kratos is the son of Zeus, so the kids power comes form his grandad unless of course he's one of many bastard childs of Zeus and Kratos merely adopted him so despite the father figure role maybe its technically a matter of him being a much younger brother. Interesting set up either way.

I have never played God of War, but that... doesn't look like God of War. Looked more similar to Demon Souls than anything else, what with the poking OF bosses' testicles with sharp things. It's not a problem, just an observation from an outsider.

The story looks more interesting though. I can't wait to see what figures of Norse mythology we'll be eviscerating.

So... Kratos is a brunette, huh.

Looks good and Kratos seems to have some maturity to him. I wonder if all the combat is going to be this close-quarters, or if it's just the early tutorial and it'll zoom out and revert back to the old camera angle we're used to. I do like that you can seemingly brawl with your fists.

The combat looks way slower though, so here's hoping they can make it equally satisfying as the button mashing of the previous games.

The Last of Us' influence is also very apparent. The kid didn't seem annoying from this small tidbit of gaming though, so that's a good start.

Y'know what stood out for me? Kratos calling for his kid to stay calm, plan and think. Really shoulda taken that advice to heart yourself Kratos, might've saved you a lot of trouble.

Also, seems like some Skyrim leaked into God of War there.

Cowabungaa:
Y'know what stood out for me? Kratos calling for his kid to stay calm, plan and think. Really shoulda taken that advice to heart yourself Kratos, might've saved you a lot of trouble.

Thanks Cowabungaa. This needed to be said.

I've not played any god of war games before (wanted to but never got round to it, this trailer sets this next game up well so I'm definitely buying it when it comes out so I can play this one) but aren't they supposed to be set in ancient Greece? This seems to be set during the Viking age what with the trolls and the mention of Valhalla, the horn Kratos is wearing, runes and climate. It seems odd that Kratos would go from Ancient Greece, which I had to double check Wikipedia to find that it's a period of time covering the 8th to the 6th Centuries BC, to the viking age which was a time period covering the 8th to the 11th Centuries AD. That's quite a gap so do we think its a reboot in a new environment to help shake things up or is it a continuation of the previous games, I heard Kratos did literally become a god at one point so I could see him being immortal but this raises the question of why he does not appear to have any god-like powers. He's clearly strong but Is he holding back so that his son can get learn to kill trolls as well as animals? Also what's with the axes, they probably aren't items he'd have brought with him from Greece so is there some sort of story between his (presumed) dead partner? It looks magical, was she some sort of mystic or has Kratos had a run in with the Norse gods before now and would that be where he got the axe from?

johnnyLupine:

Cowabungaa:

Thanks Cowabungaa. This needed to be said.

I've not played any god of war games before (wanted to but never got round to it, this trailer sets this next game up well so I'm definitely buying it when it comes out so I can play this one) but aren't they supposed to be set in ancient Greece? This seems to be set during the Viking age what with the trolls and the mention of Valhalla, the horn Kratos is wearing, runes and climate. It seems odd that Kratos would go from Ancient Greece, which I had to double check Wikipedia to find that it's a period of time covering the 8th to the 6th Centuries BC, to the viking age which was a time period covering the 8th to the 11th Centuries AD. That's quite a gap so do we think its a reboot in a new environment to help shake things up or is it a continuation of the previous games, I heard Kratos did literally become a god at one point so I could see him being immortal but this raises the question of why he does not appear to have any god-like powers. He's clearly strong (but that's not out of the ordinary for mortal heroes to have this sort of power), Is he holding back so that his son can get learn to kill trolls as well as animals? Also what's with the axes, they probably aren't items he'd have brought with him from Greece so is there some sort of story between his (presumed) dead partner? It looks magical, was she some sort of mystic or has Kratos had a run in with the Norse gods before now and would that be where he got the axe from?

Sorry about that incorrect editing of the last post

Do you know what, never mind. It looks like the edit button is just not working. Have all of the posts, everyone.

Mestraal:
Re-humanizing Kratos from MURDER MURDER SEX MURDER is probably a step in the right direction.

I wonder if it'll be open world-y, from the whole 'Discovered X' and 'Knowledge Gained; tracking' XP, I'd assume they're at least aiming to make it feel big.

It's not god of war without the sex part :(

...But than again is Norse/Germanic culture and mythology known for its "Sexuality?"

Really wish they'd done more with the title than that. A simple '4' may not be glamorous, but it's much less confusing.

Cowabungaa:

I think that might've been intentional though. It's an older Kratos who's maybe trying to teach this kid based on his own mistakes. You can see somekind of rage meter filling up when the kid misses that first shot, showing Kratos losing his temper somewhat before regaining himself.

Kratos is a father now? The man who destroyed the world after a temper tantrum is raising someone? Is he be going to teach his kid to burn the school down when his teacher tells him to behave?

If the boy has thunder powers then perhaps he's Thor which would make this exiled Kratos....Odin! Or its just a kid with thunder powers.

Is it me or am I seeing some open world bits?

Kratos watched Duck Dynasty one day and said:
"Those are some kickass beards."

I might be remembering this wrong, but didn't Kratos kill himself by impaling himself on his blades to release hope into the world? And wasn't the world proper fucked at the end of GoW3, with all plantlife dead, no solar deity to move the sun across the heavens and everything except Olympus flooded by the sea?

Seems the world recovered quite handily from some seriously cataclysmic events, which, by the way, Kratos caused himself.

Interesting. Sort of seems like 'God of War' meets 'Skyrim'. And were those skills I saw the game have?

Anyway, color me intrigued, thoigh I must admit it's hilarious to hear Kratos say 'You need to be patient and think! Have a plan!' since that's literally the complete opposite of his approach to all problems.

Okay, first of all: the gameplay doesn't look like God of War at all. Maybe it's the camera angle which is, well, total shite (always hated over-the-shoulder camera for being terrible), maybe it's the way combat goes, but still. All of the Skyrim stuff with open world doesn't help at all.
Second of all: I kinda feel it would be better as a reboot. I mean, you didn't even bother to make up a new bloody name (a trend that needs to die a horrible, horrible death).
Third of all: how in the heck did he crawl from Olympus all the way over to Scandinavia?

I like the way the story seems to be trending, but damn is it odd seeing a franchise other than Final Fantasy completely change its combat system. It might be needed though considering the stupid tie-in titles they pumped out probably made people weary of the original play style.

Might go back and play the first two again once I'm done with Okami HD and Overwatch splurging - though I was never particularly good at the games. I could never really find the right rhythm of fighting and dodging.

Cowabungaa:

Wait, so this is literally starring someone else who just happens to be called Kratos? Cause Kratos doesn't plan, he doesn't stay calm or think, he just murders civilians for health or puzzles or because they didn't fuck him.

Worgen:

Cowabungaa:

Wait, so this is literally starring someone else who just happens to be called Kratos? Cause Kratos doesn't plan, he doesn't stay calm or think, he just murders civilians for health or puzzles or because they didn't fuck him.

I think that's the point. He's teaching his son to be a better man than he was. And from the way things looked in the trailer I'm betting that the kid is actually the main character. and that you'll switch to him ala Raiden in MGS2 or Jake Marston.

What I'd like to see, is him having a redemption arc from his previous incarnation. Since it's got that Norse vibe going on, if they actually spark off Ragnarok, I'd like to see him working on the side of the Norse pantheon, to try and stop Ragnarok. That way he can still be the "god of war", and fight Fenrir, and Loki, and all the Frost Giants and etc. We can have the godlike scale of battle, without him having to be a jackass and kill gods who didn't really do anything wrong (at least to him).

Winnosh:

Worgen:

Cowabungaa:

I think that's the point. He's teaching his son to be a better man than he was. And from the way things looked in the trailer I'm betting that the kid is actually the main character. and that you'll switch to him ala Raiden in MGS2 or Jake Marston.

I'd still be much much more interested if you played someone else trying to kill his ass. Didn't he pretty much ruin the world by the end of gow3? Someone is going to want revenge for that.

Extra-Ordinary:
This game looks awesome.
But I'm runnin' into the same "call it something else" problem I'm havin' with Prey, just remove the Kratos tattoo and call it something else and let me remember it as that game that's *like* God Of War; then again, once he gets to the god-killin' I'd probably call it a rip-off, I don't know what I want.

Anyway.

Game looks really cool, looks like they're really startin' from basics here and I like Kratos not being a complete dick anymore, the way he stops himself after his son first misses the deer, "ONLY FIRE-... only fire when I tell you to fire." He's a wee tad calmer, I like that. Oh he's still a bad dude but at least now he channels that into things that deserve it, that's pretty good by me.

what are they changing about prey?

The over-the-shoulder camera and the attack combos return

I don't know why this says "return". God of War has never had an over-the-shoulder camera.

Samtemdo8:

Mestraal:

It's not god of war without the sex part :(

...But than again is Norse/Germanic culture and mythology known for its "Sexuality?"

Well, there is the whole thing with Freyja and Freyr potentially being incest babies who also slept with each other (and were also vaguely the goddess and god of sexuality for their genders, respectively).

LaughingAtlas:

Really wish they'd done more with the title than that. A simple '4' may not be glamorous, but it's much less confusing.

Yeah, this whole "let's just release a new game with exactly the same name" thing is starting to get really frustrating. Sonic the Hedgehog, Twisted Metal, Syndicate, Devil May Cry, SimCity, Tomb Raider, Shadow Warrior, Killer Instinct, Strider, Thief, Star Wars Battlefront, Ratchet & Clank, DOOM, Prey... guys, get some bloody originality.

Hades:
Kratos is a father now? The man who destroyed the world after a temper tantrum is raising someone? Is he be going to teach his kid to burn the school down when his teacher tells him to behave?

Technically, his temper tantrum was caused because he was a father in the first place.

Chimpzy:
I might be remembering this wrong, but didn't Kratos kill himself by impaling himself on his blades to release hope into the world? And wasn't the world proper fucked at the end of GoW3, with all plantlife dead, no solar deity to move the sun across the heavens and everything except Olympus flooded by the sea?

Seems the world recovered quite handily from some seriously cataclysmic events, which, by the way, Kratos caused himself.

Well, not exactly. After the credits there's a scene that shows where Kratos was left to die, but he's not there anymore and there's a trail of blood leading off the edge of the platform. Also, while the cataclysmic events following the death of Olympus are pretty bad, it's worth bearing in mind that Greece is hardly the whole world (EDIT: especially when taking the reality of a living Greek pantheon into account would probably mean that other pantheons also exist within the in-game universe), and the release of Hope to the world is... well, a pretty big change too, surely.

I got a funny feeling Kratos is raising one of the Norse gods in this. That would be a very interesting tie in.

Hummm, I seem to recall Santa Monica Studio saying that Kratos' story was done when GoW 3 was released. Whoops, apparently it's not. And I'm not sure how I feel about that. I feel like I'm one of the very few people who kind of appreciated God of War 3's story elements, and I think the ending was especially unusual in how Kratos ends up admitting to the monster he has become, and dies a lonely and miserable death. To this day Kratos is considered perhaps the most evil and irredeemable protagonist in video game history, and IMO this kind of waters that down. He was a complete and utter monster that didn't deserve redemption, and I would have way preferred continuing the series with a new main character and setting.

Though I could perhaps get interested if they put some special spin on it. This clearly is the same Kratos as before, as signified by the massive scar on his abdomen, but perhaps he's not entirely the same as before. Perhaps the old Kratos died in the sense that he lost his memory, his identity, or a part of those, and ended up just a wanderer. Or perhaps he's still haunted by visions of slaughter from an unknown past, and is trying to make right by it. I couldn't see the same Kratos from God of War 3 trying to redeem himself without some kind of identity change.

Also, when the hell are we going to see anything in video games based on Egyptian mythology? Or fuck, anything else but the same old Norse stuff. We've already seen Skyrim and Thor, do we really need more of that?

shrekfan246:

Well, not exactly. After the credits there's a scene that shows where Kratos was left to die, but he's not there anymore and there's a trail of blood leading off the edge of the platform.

I always preferred to think that wasn't a hint at Kratos being alive, but rather a way of bringing the series full circle, to the nearly first words we hear in the series: "And Kratos cast himself from the highest mountain in all of Greece". Hardly a mountain in Greece higher than Olympus itself, right?

Anyone else think Kratos is abit of a deadbeat husband if he let his wife do all the hunting unless it was something she enjoyed?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here