The 2016 Steam Summer Sale Has Begun

The 2016 Steam Summer Sale Has Begun

steam-summer-sale-320

The Steam Summer Sale has begun, and wallets everywhere are crying out in fear.

If you've been putting off buying another game on Steam until the Summer Sale kicks off, your time has come. We've known this sale was coming since PayPal leaked the date. From today through 1 PM ET July 4, you can get deals all over the Steam store.

These are typically the two best weeks of the year to be a PC gamer, as you can get a ton of great games for anywhere from 15 to 90 percent off. However, there will not be any flash sales or specials aside from the deals that are available now. There will be featured specials, but the percentages will not change.

Head over to the Steam store and check out all the deals, and try not to send too much money. You'll thank me later. If you need to see the effect of a Steam sale, just check out this YouTube video from user Clint Beastwood. It's pretty spot-on.

I've been trying to get things from my wishlist to my cart for about 90 minutes now. Are the servers non-responsive for you as well? One would think Valve has prepared their shopping servers after all these years...

And sadly nothing I really want is on enough of a sale to be an instant buy for me, which means I get to agonize over paying a bit more than I want to for them.

HA!, take that all my hard earned money... now to resist surfing deals at work...

Not impressed at all, there are a few games at the lowest price I have seen, but most have actually been on sale at a lower price, and the ones that are at an all time low I own already almost universally.

I have about 40 games on my wish list and none of them are more then 50% off. That isn't a horrid price, but it still means most are at least $10 at this point...Axiom Verge is the only one I'm likely to snag (been hoping for a bit more of a discount on that, but I hear it's very worth the price).

I hesitate due to having about 500 games in my steam library, with almost 400 unplayed (never even opened)...so buying more seems a bit silly. I especially figured I would hold off on buying more till the summer sale....but the prices do not seem that low, especially since they won't drop more for flash sales etc.

I may go without buying any for the first time, or just buying Axiom now (maybe...honestly it'll probably be on sale for less later somewhere...and i'm in no rush).

Hmm, Dust: An Elysian Tale is only 3 bucks. I remember thinking about getting that a while back, but being kind of put off by the overly cutesy characters. Might have to pick it up now that it's so cheap.

B...bu...but no flash deals. T_T

I'm kind of underwhelmed to be honest.

I know the canned response is, "It's because you already own the games you want from previous Steam sales", but that doesn't really hold up because a lot of games have come out since then that I could be buying at a reduced price. It's not like I ever bought really old games on Steam.

Also, the elimination of the flash sales and community chosen deals means I have no real reason to come back to the sales page every day. I can't imagine that'll be good for sales. On the other hand, maybe their deals have been too good in the past and Valve is hoping that people will continue to expand their game collection just to keep everything in one place.

Pretty underwhelming yet again, I was a fool to pass up some Humble Bundles, thinking the Summer Sale will deliver a better price and without the unwanted stuff. -.-

Xerosch:
One would think Valve has prepared their shopping servers after all these years...

They don't have to, Valve pretty much mastered complacency by this point.

I miss Flash deals. The Steam sales used to be so much more fun. Now we get okay discounts with no reason to check back to the store. 8 Hours was more than long enough to come back and check for a deal before you missed it. I know it's mostly because refunds are a thing now but I'm still disappointed. I've never used the refund function so maybe I'm just more choosy than most.

Man, this sale would be great if anything actually got added to the cart. I even added funds to my steam accounts just for this, and now I can't even get anything!

I-I'll have you someday, Fallout 3 Game of the Year... You may not be good, and you may not run well on this Spyware OS known as Windows 10, but that cannot keep us apart!

In all seriousness, it's rather surprising how dull this sale is. Some jumping sandwiches on the storefront and trading cards for looking at lists of games you should totally buy. Unless Valve has something fun planned (which let's be honest, they don't.) they really aren't going to get much buzz from this year's summer sale. Hopefully they're just saving up their power for Christmas.

Metadigital:
I'm kind of underwhelmed to be honest.

I know the canned response is, "It's because you already own the games you want from previous Steam sales", but that doesn't really hold up because a lot of games have come out since then that I could be buying at a reduced price. It's not like I ever bought really old games on Steam.

Also, the elimination of the flash sales and community chosen deals means I have no real reason to come back to the sales page every day. I can't imagine that'll be good for sales. On the other hand, maybe their deals have been too good in the past and Valve is hoping that people will continue to expand their game collection just to keep everything in one place.

With the refund thing they added, they couldn't have flash sales anymore. It would mean they would have to deal with a bunch of returns from people who bought the game before it was on flash sale.

I dunno which I anticipate more: the actual sales or the creatively sarcastic videos that pop up with every sale.

Wow, good thing I didn't buy that newly release bartender game (I still have abit of cash in my wallet from my bro present). Now if only it stop lagging at the moment (I know ALOT of people are on it at the moment).

Also I really need to played DeadStar demo soon due to my newfound hatred for competitive games!

I'm $186.68 down in the first three hours. How is everyone else holding on?

Hello Steam Sale, my old friend.
You've come to strip me down again.
Because those bargains so fleeting.
Will leave my wallet in weeping.
From the depths of my pockets I can hear,
Or so I fear,
Only the Sound of Silence.

Hmm. Probably get Fallout, maybe doom. I wish the CAD wasn't so low right now, 80 bucks base price for a new game blows.

RedDeadFred:
Hmm, Dust: An Elysian Tale is only 3 bucks. I remember thinking about getting that a while back, but being kind of put off by the overly cutesy characters. Might have to pick it up now that it's so cheap.

If you don't mind some outside input, I'd definitely recommend it. It's a bit cutesy at times, but the story is surprisingly serious in tone, and the gameplay itself is solid. Easily worth $15-20 bucks in my opinion, never mind 3.

Ended up getting axiom verge, farcry 4, adventures of teddy and dungeonmans, super chibi knight, YS VI and hero defense haunted isles...about $50 for all that. Thought about getting GTA 4...but it's discount just isn't enough and I have too much of a backlog for those kinds of games right now.

Most of those games where at least 50% off...and a few more then that. Not the best deals, and all i'm gonna get for the whole sale, but it's something.

By far the best Steam Sale video I've ever seen. Bravo.

What I might get? Eh, I don't know. Not much probably. I'm currently eyeing the Jackbox Party Pack because I'll be visiting my parents' place for a week/week-and-a-half so that might be a fun way to spend some evenings. Otherwise I'm pretty occupied with The Witcher 3 and Overwatch.

HahaHA! Jokes on you! I've spend on my money on Humble Bundles!! Sure, I owe them about 45 grillz in Paypal cash, but at least my wallet is safe from the SSS... *phone rings* Hello? What do you mean my paycheck will arrive before [American] Independence Day? *hangs up* Well, shit... Where did my wallet go? :p

Other than that, I have my list in check... I'm a bit surprised that it's smaller than my [last two] Humble Bundle purchases...

Worgen:
With the refund thing they added, they couldn't have flash sales anymore. It would mean they would have to deal with a bunch of returns from people who bought the game before it was on flash sale.

I'm not really sure that's the reason. I mean, worst-case scenario is that you effectively increase the flash sale length to "official flash sale length + refund policy length", and honestly, even that's not that bad. Sure, some percentage of people will be checking the website regularly and save a couple bucks here and there -- but then that means some percentage of people will be checking the website regularly, which is probably an overall plus.

Besides, a lot of online retailers will have a sort of "least price guarantee" for pre-orders: pre-order it at one price, and if the price drops before release, you only get charged the lesser price. I don't see how this would be all that different. Just treat purchases early in the sale as pre-orders in the event of a flash sale.

Ultimately, Valve could bypass the issue entirely with a policy stating that if you refund a game, you can't buy that game again for some period of time. Actually, I'd be a bit surprised to learn they don't have a policy like that already in place to prevent refund scamming. As long as that period was longer than 8 hours or however long a flash sale takes, refunds to hit flash sales wouldn't be a problem.

I suspect Valve just thought they were leaving too much money on the table with flash sales. Why give someone a game at 75% off if most people will still buy it at 66%?

The_Great_Galendo:

Worgen:

I'm not really sure that's the reason. I mean, worst-case scenario is that you effectively increase the flash sale length to "official flash sale length + refund policy length", and honestly, even that's not that bad. Sure, some percentage of people will be checking the website regularly and save a couple bucks here and there -- but then that means some percentage of people will be checking the website regularly, which is probably an overall plus.

Besides, a lot of online retailers will have a sort of "least price guarantee" for pre-orders: pre-order it at one price, and if the price drops before release, you only get charged the lesser price. I don't see how this would be all that different. Just treat purchases early in the sale as pre-orders in the event of a flash sale.

Ultimately, Valve could bypass the issue entirely with a policy stating that if you refund a game, you can't buy that game again for some period of time. Actually, I'd be a bit surprised to learn they don't have a policy like that already in place to prevent refund scamming. As long as that period was longer than 8 hours or however long a flash sale takes, refunds to hit flash sales wouldn't be a problem.

I suspect Valve just thought they were leaving too much money on the table with flash sales. Why give someone a game at 75% off if most people will still buy it at 66%?

That sounds like a lot of effort when you could just make the sales last the full length of the sale and not bother with flash sales. I miss them too since there are some games I really want to be a bit cheaper. However it just doesn't make sense to do flash sales anymore.

I've been quite underwhelmed so far.

Square Enix are being particularly poor with their discounts. Several of their games are not discounted at all, and most of them are bloody remakes and ports!

Well since my copy of Fable: the Lost Chapters has gone walkabout, I decided to see if Anniversary was on sale. Lo and behold, 85% off. $12 for the full game and all DLC instead of nearly $60.

I'll take it :)

Honestly, I don't see why they don't add some sort of price-matching bit to the refund policy. Say, if a game goes on sale /more on sale when you're still qualified for a refund, you can request the difference in steam wallet credit. It's a shame when I see games that went 75% off for daily/flash sales a year ago (Assassin's Creed 1 and 2, for example) that are now just gonna sit at 50% the whole sale. And not cuz the base price lowered either, I bought them two years ago for $5 each, now they're $10 apiece.

Ever since the refund policy stuff has just been less on sale than it was before, -and- we don't get any fun sale events either.

Scarim Coral:
Wow, good thing I didn't buy that newly release bartender game (I still have abit of cash in my wallet from my bro present). Now if only it stop lagging at the moment (I know ALOT of people are on it at the moment).

Also I really need to played DeadStar demo soon due to my newfound hatred for competitive games!

You talking about Valhalla? Cuz if so dood, it's beyond worth the full price. If you get around to it, make sure you play the Demo and Prologue first, as they're both events prior to the main game, and the demo especially has important plot stuff.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here