A New Sonic Game Will Launch in 2017

Pages 1 2 NEXT

A New Sonic Game Will Launch in 2017

sonic 2017

We have no details on the new Sonic game, announced during a 25th anniversary celebration of the blue hedgehog.

Sonic fans are in for a treat (or more disappointment) next year, as Sonic Team boss Takashi Iizuka has revealed a new title starring the blue hedgehog will release in 2017. The game was confirmed at a special 25th anniversary event in Tokyo this week, although we weren't given any additional details. Iizuka instead told us to tune into another Sonic birthday party, this time on July 22 in San Deigo, for more info.

"We at Sonic Team are developing a completely new game," Iizuka said earlier this week. "The most important thing is not the fact that the series survived for 25 years, but how many games [were] developed. Our goal [is to] add something new and overcome any potential hardships."

There is actually a Sonic game due out this year: Sonic Boom: Fire and Ice for the 3DS, based on the Sonic Boom anime. The last "real" Sonic game was the episodic Sonic 4, released back in 2010/12.

Here's hoping that this new game, especially considering the 25th anniversary, takes Sonic back to his roots!

Source: Gematsu

Maybe THIS one will be good. HAHHAHHAHHAHAHAHAA!

There will also be a sonic game in 2018, 2019, 2020...

I mean, has the franchise missed a year? Yeah, most of them are spinoffs and rehashes, but at this point the entirety of the franchise is spinoffs and rehashes, nothing else. Saying the Wii games are any less Sonic than Unleashed seems a bit preposterous.

LIVE FROM SONIC PARTY IN SAN DIEGO-
*explosive diarrhea noises*

Steven Bogos:
The last "real" Sonic game was the episodic Sonic 4, released back in 2010/12.

Um, no, the last "Segaverse" Sonic game was Lost World, released in 2013.

Anyway, last Sonic game I played was Unleashed, and the last one I completed was Rush Adventure, but hey, I can hope. At the very least, Sonic Boom gave us the cartoon series, which was quite enjoyable.

Snark incoming in T-Minus 3, 2... *looks at previous posts* Whoops, looks like it's already started.

Steven Bogos:

The last "real" Sonic game was the episodic Sonic 4, released back in 2010/12.

Generations in 2011, Lost World in 2013?

Colours and Generations were both pretty good and fairly well received. Lost World was okay, mostly and so was Unleashed. Not particularly good, but enjoyable and fairly polished (or did 2006 just trash my standards?) I dunno about the 3DS Sonic Boom game but the handheld Sonics have all generally been pretty solid.

I'd say there's a good chance this could be decent. Sonic is more inconsistent than exclusively terrible, in my opinion.

Can't we give up the ghost Sega? Boom is still going to be in peoples minds...

"The most important thing is not the fact that the series survived for 25 years, but how many games [were] developed. Our goal [is to] add something new and overcome any potential hardships."

Jesus, he makes Inafune look like JFK. I mean, can... can you actually set the bar any lower?

As one of five people on the internet who still likes Sonic games, I wonder if this is going to be more Sonic Generations or more Lost World/Boom.

Honestly, they had a really good thing going with the formula they created in Unleashed, and it's heartbreaking to see them ditch it after Generations, which was a great game that could've set the standard for the franchise for the past five years. Instead, they decided they needed to throw everything out and try reinventing the wheel.

To be optimistic for once, I'm at least happy they didn't rush the game to be out for the 25th Anniversary year. Remember 10 years ago when firing the QA team and rushing out a 15 year milestone game on a brand new console turned out to be a bad idea?

Now, back to the pessimism. So what gimmick game mechanic are the going to force into this game? Every 3D Sonic has had some extra thing or two added to the core mechanic of high speed platforming. They still haven't figured out what makes a 3D Sonic game work (or they have but feel they need to add extra things that weigh down what people play a Sonic game for.)

Look at what the 3d games have done:
Multiple character/gameplay types and serious stories in the Adventure series,
Team formations in Heroes,
Another (though this time very annoying) playable hedgehog character, Mach Speed sections, and back to a "serious" story in Sonic '06,
Werehog night levels in Unleashed,
Wisp powers in Colors,
Oodles of nostalgia in Generations,
And finally the parkour mechanic and not-Mario Galaxy inspired little planetoids (and definitely not Sonic Extreme inspired winding paths between those planetiods /sarcasm) in Lost Word.

It would be great if Sonic Team went with one more Sonic Adventure type game, but in this one, they bring in (but not overuse) the boost mechanic from Rush/Unleashed/Colors, keep Tails in his free running/flying of Adventure 1 and also keep Knuckles' treasure hunting (preferably without SA2's crappy radar limitations). (And maybe make a separate E102-Gamma/mech shooting game at a later date, or have that be a large DLC side mission.) Those three things are just about all the extras I think a 3D Sonic game would need to have enough variety and length for a full game. (I guess they could also split up the characters' stories and make it episodic. That's never hurt a Sonic game before. Mountains of sarcasm there.)

Really, I'll sit back and watch to see how this one plays out. Even as a fan of the old school 2D titles, I haven't been impressed enough to buy any game in the Sonic franchise, since Sonic Advance 1, at even half of the launch price. For now, I'll just enjoy the dreaded Sonic-cycle from outside its influence.

Redlin5:

Red Button Entertainment, my dude.
It's been almost two years, I thought this was common knowledge by now. Huh, weird.

-------------------------------

This is cool news. It seems like forever since Sonic Team's last go around. Should be good. They've had a pretty good groove going with the only discrepancy being Lost World's lack of focus. I just hope they don't try to meme it up too much during localization. Aaron Webber is a gahdamn genius, but it'd run its course too hard in a main-stay game.

Redlin5:

Sonic Team wasn't involved in either Boom game. Sega shares some of the responsibility for pushing the game(s) out early, but ST itself is in the clear.

The best thing to come from Sonic in over a decade has been the Sonic twitter account.

Just fucking make Sonic Adventure 3. Hell, if it has a decent enough Chao Garden, Id play it. Or just make a stand alone Chao Garden game.

DONT try to be a PS2 platformer like Sonic Boom tried to be.

Well, I still like the only one who liked Sonic Lost World. Maybe if I try to get back to the game and try to beat it, I might see why people hate it. Hell, I might also return to that copy of Sonic Colors I have lying around too.

Just hope that the next game is on the level with that, Colors, and Generations though.

I feel like going into the streets wearing a signe saying "The end is nigh" while reading from the book of revelations

Steven Bogos:
Iizuka said earlier this week. "The most important thing is not the fact that the series survived for 25 years, but how many games [were] developed. Our goal [is to] add something new and overcome any potential hardships."

My Problem with recent Sonic Releases in a nutshell.
Maybe Quantity shouldn't be something to brag about, if half of them are simply bad.

Just keep it simple and release a good "Sonic"-Game before trying to add something new with every Iteration.
Sonic unleashed had great Sonic levels and was actually pretty damn decent, but half of the game was a shoddy God of War Clone.
And give developers the time to actually finish the game.

But I enjoyed Sonic Adventure 2, which apparently was a broken mess, so what do I know.

ScrabbitRabbit:
Generations in 2011

Well, Sonic Generations[1] was arguably more a 'best of' than an entirely new game. Takings the best parts of both old 2d and new(ish) 3d Sonic, adding some refinement and a new lick of paint.

Which is completely fine, by the way.

[1] Coincidentally, also an anniversary game

I think I understand Sega's strategy. They're basically acting as a court jester, or a modern troll.

I mean, they keep making these games... people will invest money in this piece of entertainment. The entertainment, of course, is not the game itself, but all the drama, the fursuits, and the terrified PR reps trying to sell "a good sonic game, no really!"

There is actually a Sonic game due out this year: Sonic Boom: Fire and Ice for the 3DS, based on the Sonic Boom anime.

Come on. If that isn't grade-A entertainment, I dunno what is.

RJ 17:
The best thing to come from Sonic in over a decade has been the Sonic twitter account.

I love that Twitter account. The Sonic Boom show is pretty good too.

And if you guys want a good 2D Sonic game try out Freedom Planet.

If they can make a good game like Generations, I would be on board. Though Generations had a few flaws (and I hated the Final Boss level) it was still a overall enjoyable experience, and I like both play styles.

I'd also take a Sonic Maker game. Ever since Mario Maker came out, my friends and I have all agreed that a Sonic Maker game would be awesome.

Lol Sonic Team actually admits to them favouring quantity over quality, hilarious XD

Oh well, this will be shite.

Chimpzy:

ScrabbitRabbit:
Generations in 2011

Well, Sonic Generations[1] was arguably more a 'best of' than an entirely new game. Takings the best parts of both old 2d and new(ish) 3d Sonic, adding some refinement and a new lick of paint.

Which is completely fine, by the way.

Well actually considering how levels are fairly loosely (visuals and one or two gameplay moments for each stage) based off their old counterparts, save for Rooftop Run and Planet Wisp (and even then the classic variations for those were all-new).

[1] Coincidentally, also an anniversary game

I wonder how many straws will it take for many people to break the camel's back on the Sonic series. From the horrible spin-off titles from the early days, to Sega deciding to ditch the rest of their IPs so Sonic could live (including Jet Set Radio, Final Fight, that werewolf one, Alex Kidd, Nights, etc.) to the fact that Bayonetta 2 was almost cancelled because of Sonic and Alien Colonial Marines. Add to that Sonic 06' and Sonic Boom not killing this franchise or showing that Sega has learned anything and you cannot deny the contempt from the public is somewhat justified.

AND according to IGN Sega wants to turn Sonic into an entertainment Icon?! Say what you want about franchises like Mario or CoD getting stale over the course of the years, but at the very least the quality of their releases somewhat makes up for it, hence why they are icons in the casual and core markets of gaming.

Okay let's run this through the Bullshit detector.

"We at Sonic Team are developing a completely new game," Iizuka said earlier this week.

Beep Beep. It is an installment ina franchise so is not completely new.

"The most important thing is not the fact that the series survived for 25 years, but how many games [were] developed.

BeepbeepBedeep. A better point of note would be how many of those games were actually 'good'.

Our goal [is to] add something new and overcome any potential hardships.

*WARNINGWARNINGWARNING*
To add something new? The biggest problem with sonic for the past decade or more is that they keep adding something new and the new stuff seldom works well.

The sonioc franchise has only survived this long because the player base keep hoping there will be another 'good one'. Sadly, not gonna happen. Sonic's entire gimmick was speed. It was a tool to show off the speed of the Genesis. That has no longer been an issue and in 3d space that speed is some what off a detriment.

Lets just hope we have more of a Sonic Generations and less Sonic Boom.

Lets just hope we have more of a Sonic Generations and less Sonic Boom.

AWE YEAH!

Can't wait to see the game grumps play it !

Where are the Chao gardens? Without them to quite literally beat the evil into your money making pets, I can't muster any enthusiasm for Sonic these days. Sonic franchise is kind of like the gaming equivalent of the Liberal Democrats; unnecessary, unfocused and consistently disappointing to people, yet somehow still going on with no clear purpose or reason other than blind stubbornness and support it gets from people I am not particularly certain even exist,
Oops, compliment sandwich forgot to add the closing bread; Sonic Adventure 2 was the best use of 3D Sonic, go with that but better, don't be scared...I know you may have a drunken, layabout Sega funding you, but rise above the shame! Take back what's rightfully yours! Like all the creative directors that are evidently absent from recent reincarnations.

In a shock reveal, it turns out they've just made a reskin of Superhot

Here's hoping they don't shit themselves inside out again.

"Special 25th anniversary event"

Isn't it more like a memorial at this point?

blank0000:
AWE YEAH!

Can't wait to see the game grumps play it !

At this point, Team Sonic could probably turn their situation upside-down overnight by looking into some kind of partnership with the Game Grumps rather than try and recapture past glories.

Hairless Mammoth:

It would be great if Sonic Team went with one more Sonic Adventure type game, but in this one, they bring in (but not overuse) the boost mechanic from Rush/Unleashed/Colors, keep Tails in his free running/flying of Adventure 1 and also keep Knuckles' treasure hunting (preferably without SA2's crappy radar limitations).

Honestly, I'd rather just have Knuckles be a playable character in the same way he was in the original Genesis games. It encourages better level design because different characters have different ways of getting around and potentially different limitations (Tails' speed, Knuckles' jump height) without bogging the development down by requiring multiple gameplay styles and completely different stages set in the same themed zones, while still keeping the same general fun gameplay loop.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here