Konami Announces Metal Gear Survive

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Konami Announces Metal Gear Survive

Konami has announced its first post-Hideo Kojima Metal Gear title, which will be "a new addition to the Metal Gear Solid V experience."

Konami has announced Metal Gear Survive, a co-op stealth game that picks up after the events of Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, "to an alternate timeline caused by unexplained wormholes forming in the sky." Metal Gear Survive will be the first full Metal Gear to release from a post-Hideo Kojima Konami, and will pit up to four players against "living biological threats." (zombies)

From the press release:

"In a struggle to stay alive on this harsh terrain filled with deadly creatures, soldiers who were previously on Motherbase now must work cooperatively in order to survive. Metal Gear Survive continues the pedigree of Metal Gear Solid V's highly praised gameplay design, with a unique blend of stealth and co-op play mechanics. Players can strategically manage massive threats with the help of four-player online cooperative play. New weaponry will also be introduced to combat charging creatures and lethal environments as well."

"We are delighted to announce another exciting addition to the Metal Gear franchise," said Tomotada Tashiro, European President for Konami Digital Entertainment B.V., in a press release. "Metal Gear Survive will offer a fresh take on the series' famed stealth elements but within a unique co-op setting that is designed for a truly engrossing multi-player experience."

Metal Gear Survive is slated to release on PS4, Xbox One, and PC in 2017.

Yay, finally we can play as randomguy in zombieland online, just what I was missing in my metal gear experience.

I'm not even a fan of MGS and have barely touched the series... and I can still tell this zombie survival shit isn't anywhere close to MGS.

Soooo, it's Metal Gear without anyone we know, and now it's Resident Evil when zombies were overdone at least three years ago. Wheeee?

I really hope that the entire game is just based inside the slowly dying mind of a MSF soldier after Mother Base blew up.
While I kinda dig the creepy visuals, I can't help but feel that a spy game where you play as a surviving MSF soldier on the run from XOF while Big Boss was in a coma would have been better.

The thing everyone wanted.

Diablo1099:
I really hope that the entire game is just based inside the slowly dying mind of a MSF soldier after Mother Base blew up.

Your hopes are too high. The entire game is probably base inside a Pachinko Machine.

so basically after all that stink over how console games are worthless Konami makes a Metal Gear cash-in. They have to be one of the worst-run companies in Japan.

Fuck you Konami im not buying it and I hope you die

This is like one of those cheap Christmas cracker toys, where no matter how poor you expect the surprise to be, it is always somehow worse. And then the joke that can hardly even be called a joke falls out, written by some entity that hasn't even got to the bad pun level of comedy. The entity possibly a conservative Macaw heavily intoxicated on paint stripper fumes.

They say stoop Konami says how low

Hmm. Looks pretty cool. Neat premise. Will probably check it out. Would be even cooler if they tied it together some how.

Ok...so Konami's direction for the franchise is basically Nazi Zombies?

Ugh.

I thought Konami quit making video games.

Or did I just miss something completely?

So someone at Konami got into a fight with someone from Capcom?

Why? I'm just at a loss for words. This doesn't seem like a good idea in the slightest. Glowing horns? Sure it had that MSG wtf factor, but seems to translate to Zombie as far as everyone is concerned. This sounds like that Alone in the Dark co-op that came out some time ago. Anyone remember that one? I try to forget it and I hate myself for referencing it. While in most cases a co-op gives a game replay-ability (thank you auto correct) this one looks like L4D set in some kind of wasteland. Resident evil online anyone? (Now there's a reference, yuck) You know if Konami had released a first person stealth game in the same vein of Thief or perhaps Dues Ex I might have forgiven them. Heck maybe a FPS multiplayer set in MSG maps/levels would be serviceable. But no, they're aiming low. From the other replies it seems they'll hit their mark; low returns.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Ahhhh, thanks Konami, I needed a laugh.

SlumlordThanatos:

They quit spending money on games. Cheap cash-ins reusing a fuckton of assets ala PES and this? Still game.

SlumlordThanatos:

Supposedly the pachinko scene isn't doing as well as they were hoping, while their gaming divison is still making cash, so they're working their way back into it.

Lizzy Finnegan:
snip

Well done on keeping a straight face throughout that article.

Really, Konami? You make a new Metal Gear Solid game, only for it to be an over-used zombie-killing game? Why not make a new IP? Oh wait, you love money too much and want to get it from stupid people.

#fuckonami

Areloch:

SlumlordThanatos:

Supposedly the pachinko scene isn't doing as well as they were hoping, while their gaming divison is still making cash, so they're working their way back into it.

Who knew that raking money out of gambling games would eventually reach a stage where you cant get money out of people anymore? It's like some people realised that the games weren't worth it and the rest ran out of money because of that's the point of gambling. Emptying people's wallets.

Does anyone remember the last time somebody tried to mix zombies with stealth and more than one character gameplay? No, thank goodness you managed to get Amy out of your memory, because I wish I did.

I want to laugh, but it's been proven that many people will just buy anything if it has a popular fucking name. I bet some of you here will pre-order it ;-)

I wonder if they are torturing their new team to?

So Konami decided to shit out a zombie survival game. Then, realized it might not sell and slapped on the Metal Gear name hoping that would help move some copies.

Now, I'm wondering what Kojima is saying about this. Do you think he's laughing or crying?

O-Oh... Oh god no...

Konami, all you had to do was remake MGS3 again. You had the assets. You have the Fox Engine. This isn't going to tide fans over until that, this just pisses them off. The secondhand embarrassment is strong here.

I like the idea and am definitely going to pre-order it.

I refuse to fucking acknowledge this.

MGS2 was prescient, comparable to Nostradamus in how it foresaw the world of today.

MGS3 was a masterpiece and a true work of art akin to a Kurosawa epic or a Shakesperean tragedy.

What a joke. As a long time fan of the MGS series I'm glad that MGSV was the final installment, it's just too bad that it couldn't be completed to it's full potential but atleast it was memorable.
I can only hope that this mess is quickly swept under the rug and forgotten about.

The one good thing I can say about the trailer is that it was nice and short. If it was a Kojima piece, we'd have had 13 minutes of credits before the little bit of action lol.

trunkage:

Areloch:

SlumlordThanatos:

Who knew that raking money out of gambling games would eventually reach a stage where you cant get money out of people anymore? It's like some people realised that the games weren't worth it and the rest ran out of money because of that's the point of gambling. Emptying people's wallets.

Hope the game flops and hope it means the end of this shitty company then I can dream of Kojima or a better company buying MGS and the rest of the IP's.

You deserve death Fuckonami we don't want you, give your IP to someone who actually wont fucking waste it

CaptainMarvelous:
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Ahhhh, thanks Konami, I needed a laugh.

Ha...hahahaha....ahahahahahahahahahahaha!
I came into this thread to do the exact same thing. Glad I'm not alone in my first response.

Everyone is going about this the wrong way. By all these remarks Konami will notice its lack off popularity (or maybe not lol), but still maybe try something else or less budget.

What we all should do is create a hype train and pre order it just to cancel pre orders the day before launch. Come on lets do it!!!

Wait a minute, how do 4 people play the one pachinko machine?

benvorbeck:
Everyone is going about this the wrong way. By all these remarks Konami will notice its lack off popularity (or maybe not lol), but still maybe try something else or less budget.

What we all should do is create a hype train and pre order it just to cancel pre orders the day before launch. Come on lets do it!!!

We have found our leader.

Also, can't wait for this to make the FucKonami news.

Saltyk:
So Konami decided to shit out a zombie survival game. Then, realized it might not sell and slapped on the Metal Gear name hoping that would help move some copies.

Nope, I'm sure they just wanted to make some quick cash, so it's the other way round. They have all the Assets from MGS V, they have the name, what game can we quickly make and call it a day? Zombies (no need to hire a team to develop something with depth and story), Co-op (make a few maps, gameplay is just repeatedly doing the same thing on the maps, add a level up feature) and call it an alternate reality.

Easy to hire new staff bc this type of game has been done to death. And I'm sure the statistics the suits we're shown said it'll sell like hot cakes.

Saltyk:

Now, I'm wondering what Kojima is saying about this. Do you think he's laughing or crying?

He'll be sitting there quietly minding his own business, and when they release to underwhelming reviews, he'll be laughing while he drinks is cup of Konami tears.
Especially when his own game releases, which I so hope for him will be great, just so he can print out good reviews and wipe the Konami execs tears with them.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here