Last Night's Live Performance of the Doom Soundtrack Was the Highlight of the Game Awards

Last Night's Live Performance of the Doom Soundtrack Was the Highlight of the Game Awards

The best part of last night's Game Awards wasn't the trailers - it was the live performance of part of Doom's soundtrack.

Last night at The Game Awards, we saw all sorts of new game footage revealed, including gameplay from both Mass Effect: Andromeda and Zelda: Breath of the Wild. But as exciting as all of that might have been, the best moment of the night didn't involve any new games or gameplay at all.

Instead, it was id Software composer Mick Gordon's live performance of three songs from the Doom soundtrack. Doom had just won awards for both best soundtrack and best sound design, and when Gordon took the stage, he showed why. Take a look:

Doom was one of my favorites games of 2016, and the soundtrack added a lot to it. It's pretty cool to see it performed live.

The Slayer is looking up, and he approves.

Is there a awards show or such for games that actually has a presence, prestige and survivability?

But still, it's a really good string.

I like Mick Gordon. He did an interview with PC Gamer that was fun to read. Apparently he was told by Id when they hired him "no metal" for the new Doom soundtrack because they thought it would be cheesy. They went in an industrial techno direction but then kept adding more and more metal because it sounded so good.

If that was the highlights, I am glad I didn't watch this as, to be honest, that sound pretty meh...

Fuck yes is that Periphery's drummer I see there?? A large part of my love for that band is solely based on what massive gamers they all are.

That Quake 2 tribute in the middle there absolutely made the whole thing for me though I must admit.

Blitsie:
Fuck yes is that Periphery's drummer I see there?? A large part of my love for that band is solely based on what massive gamers they all are.

That Quake 2 tribute in the middle there absolutely made the whole thing for me though I must admit.

After the Decent into Cerberon bit I now want him to do a collaboration with Sonic Mayhem now.

All in all if he brought that on tour i would definitely go see it

I dunno guys, it wasn't all bad. Boogie2988 won the year's most trending gamer award beating out legends like Jacksepticeye, Angry Joe and some other guy I didn't even hear of.

It did have some pretty hype reveals though. Mass Effect Andromeda looks like what would have happened if No Man's Sky were actually good. It appeared there was some actual difficulty to LOZ: Breath of the Wild.

Still no Half-Life 3

Bindal:
If that was the highlights, I am glad I didn't watch this as, to be honest, that sound pretty meh...

Live performances never sound quite right played back, I suspect given the crowd's reaction it sounded pretty awesome at the time.

Most certainly better than that awkward as all Hell Sonic rock abomination earlier in the year.

"Live"

Yeah, sure

A 30 year old desperately trying to live out his rock and roll fantasies prancing about like a cringe inducing eight year old playing air guitar

That was so pre recorded it hurt, and I watched the live stream.

'Live' performance of Doom music. No 'At Doom's Gate'.

TsunamiWombat:
"Live"

Yeah, sure

A 30 year old desperately trying to live out his rock and roll fantasies prancing about like a cringe inducing eight year old playing air guitar

Yeah, the drum was live, but he was only hitting the regular drum beat and the track has ridiculous amounts of triggered e-drumming through it, that just made it sound out of place.

I'm 50/50 on whether he was actually playing the guitar part, but if so, it was buried under the pre-record in the audio mixing. And he definitely didn't play the solo lead bit when it came up, he was still doing the rhythm bit up on the bass strings.

TsunamiWombat:
"Live"

Yeah, sure

fix-the-spade:

Bindal:

Live performances never sound quite right played back, I suspect given the crowd's reaction it sounded pretty awesome at the time.

I didn't mean the audio quality, but the songs themselves. They were not very good in general.

TsunamiWombat:
"Live"

Yeah, sure

At least it was better than Black Beatles...they literally had a drummer, yet the song has no drum line at all :D

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here