Netflix Announces a Castlevania TV Series

Netflix Announces a Castlevania TV Series

castlevania3_thumb_1280w

Simon Belmont is making his way to a TV near you later this year.

Buried in the regular announcement of Netflix original series debut dates was a rather interesting tidbit: a Castlevania TV show. That's right, Simon Belmont, Dracula, and all of their buddies will be gracing your TV screen later this year.

Adi Shankar (Dredd) confirmed on Facebook he would be co-running the series, and acclaimed writer Warren Ellis (Transmetropolitan, Iron Man) has reportedly written the first season.

According to Netflix's official description of the series, Castlevania will focus on the game franchise's Belmont clan, as it follows "the last surviving member of the disgraced Belmont clan, trying to save Eastern Europe from extinction at the hand of Vlad Dracula Tepe himself."

"This is very much Castlevania done in the vein of Game of Thrones," Shankar said of the project in an interview with IGN. He said that the show would be a loose adaptation of the plot of Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse.

For those worried that the show will be toned down for younger audiences, Shankar assured us that it is "going to be R-rated as f***."

"This is going to be the best f*****g video game adaptation we've had to date," he added. Given the quality of most video game adaptions, that wouldn't be too huge of a feat...

Source: IGN

I look forward to seeing how they will screw this up.

Well, they seem to be coming at it from the right angle at least. Dracula's Curse had the most diverse cast of the early games to develop, and even now seems more impactful on the series than the original, with Curse of Darkness basically being a direct story sequel to it along with being the game that introduced Alucard.

Who knows? It might just be the best thing to happen to Castlevania since Order of Ecclesia.

Funny, I believe this is also animated production by Frederator Projections right?

Because I saw that announced before, it's just that being on Netflix is what's news to me. Either way, I'll just wait on photos or a trailer of it before passing judgement.

Netflix shows trend towards good/decent, with many greats... but we're talking FucKonami...

clearly accurate plot synopsis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brs6-uQMfGU

Well Netflix originals do tend to be rather good, Konami proved with Silent Hills that all the stars can align in their favor and they can still find a way to fuck it up. Cautiously optimistic that they're kept far enough away from this to get something good out of this.

Steven Bogos:
For those worried that the show will be toned down for younger audiences, Shankar assured us that it is "going to be R-rated as f***."

Ooooh. "Erotic Violence"?

I think Konami has made more than a bit of a hash of Castlevania at this point, plot included.

But, then again, Warren Ellis. I have fond memories of his run of "G.I. Joe: Resolute" (Cobra commander sneering "Normally, this is the part in the plan where the wheels come off!" sticks in my mind), and I've liked a lot of his work in comics and in fiction. I think he might just have a chance of cobbling a lackluster franchise into something worth seeing. Particularly if Konami is willing to take a hands-off approach and let people who actually know what they're doing and care handle it.

Color me cautiously interested.

I am half hoping that this series takes place entirely as a side scrolling platformer.

Marvel on Netflix is like...one of the best things ever. I also am not some Castlevania superfan. So...it will have to be -really- bad for me to hate it. I am optimistic for this.

During the 5th episode will they go back to the 1st one to get something using new abilities they've unlocked?

Is 1999 going to be mentioned? Or explained?

Who I am kidding? Netflix doesn't have enough Budget to do justice to 1999 even if they were allowed to resolve it.

"Castlevania on Netflix."

Ohh, kind of interested.

"Castlevania done in the vein of Game of Thrones"

Oops, nevermind.

May as well have just said, "hey, we wanna make a grimdark 'mature' series with bewbs and sex stuff that also has swords and blood and junk... who's that video game publisher that hates its own IP?"

As an aside, I do hope I'm wrong. If I like this Castlevania show I'll come back here and say I was wrong. But the good writing of the source material and the story is the strength of HBO's A Game of Thrones... and these guys are adapting a KONAMI product. As much as I liked Castlevania 3... ASoIaF level writing really isn't exactly what Castlevania is known for.

Kyrian007:

Oops, nevermind.

Oh, I skimmed over that part. Yeah, I'm not interested anymore, if the fact that it's We-do-not-care-about-our-franchises-anymore-Konami that is behind this didn't raise enough red lights.

Seriously, looking over the synopsis of Dracula's curse makes me think a monster-of-the-week based show would be the best adaptation, where the team of heroes have one problem to deal with each week while gradually revealing the overarching plot and the backstories of the heroes/the villain until they finally can confront him in the finale. It would also be an (somewhat)accurate depiction of a Castlevania game, aside from not by necessity taking place in one castle.

But okay, maybe they meant Game of Thrones as in "it's clearly successful so we want to remind you of that". Which would be highly cynical, but one never knows...

IGN:

The first season of a Castlevania animated series[---]

"[The series is] going to be R-rated as f***," Shankar said of the series' level of violence

...and I full-stop lost all interest. Animated? No.

Bedinsis:

Kyrian007:

Oops, nevermind.

Oh, I skimmed over that part. Yeah, I'm not interested anymore, if the fact that it's We-do-not-care-about-our-franchises-anymore-Konami that is behind this didn't raise enough red lights.

Seriously, looking over the synopsis of Dracula's curse makes me think a monster-of-the-week based show would be the best adaptation, where the team of heroes have one problem to deal with each week while gradually revealing the overarching plot and the backstories of the heroes/the villain until they finally can confront him in the finale. It would also be an (somewhat)accurate depiction of a Castlevania game, aside from not by necessity taking place in one castle.

But okay, maybe they meant Game of Thrones as in "it's clearly successful so we want to remind you of that". Which would be highly cynical, but one never knows...

IGN:

The first season of a Castlevania animated series[---]

"[The series is] going to be R-rated as f***," Shankar said of the series' level of violence

...and I full-stop lost all interest. Animated? No.

You WANT a Live Action Castlevania movie?

Do you not know how fuckin gaudy that would be? This in Live Action?

I mean people criticized the Warcraft movie for being live action, what with the Orc designs and designs of costumes and sets, but you want Castle-fuckin-vania to be live action?

Kyrian007:

Ohh, kind of interested.

Oops, nevermind.

May as well have just said, "hey, we wanna make a grimdark 'mature' series with bewbs and sex stuff that also has swords and blood and junk... who's that video game publisher that hates its own IP?"

...Castlevania has always had a grimdark vibe to it, and it showed off bewbs before. (Looks at Succubus concept art)

Samtemdo8:

You WANT a Live Action Castlevania movie?

The article said nothing of a movie, they spoke of a TV series.

Samtemdo8:

Do you not know how fuckin gaudy that would be?

I never thought of it in terms of what Castlevania the game series looks like, I assumed they would tone down the aesthetics. Or just keep the barest of minimum in order to call it an adaptation, given that Castlevania already is a video game adaptation of classic horror movies. But if the are going to use excessive violence as a selling point and still use animation I assume that it will be mature in a way that teenagers and younger think mature is. Excessive use of things they "know" they are not supposed to see, at the detriment of everything else.

Ya know, Castlevania would have made a great 80's/90's animated adventure cartoon.

so is this going to be like Captain N?

Steven Bogos:

"This is very much Castlevania done in the vein of Game of Thrones,"

So what you have is a game of thrones knock off with a few castlevania names and references.
Geez.

Well, at least it sounds like they're not going to shit all over it by setting it in present day...that was my biggest concern when reading this headline.

Actually sounds pretty interesting, hopefully they'll be able to handle it with some taste.

Steven Bogos:

And, like that, they've lost me.

TheMigrantSoldier:
Actually sounds pretty interesting, hopefully they'll be able to handle it with some taste.

Steven Bogos:

What do you want from a Castlevania tv series?

erttheking:
Well Netflix originals do tend to be rather good, Konami proved with Silent Hills that all the stars can align in their favor and they can still find a way to fuck it up. Cautiously optimistic that they're kept far enough away from this to get something good out of this.

Because it was too expensive to be worth it.

Well, it's probably going to be good.

Problem is, I know nothing about the Castelvania franchise.

I hope they've got an editor with a strong hand for Ellis.

Man can go way off the rails if left to his own devices.

Samtemdo8:

erttheking:

That's a generous way to say "Konami lost their fucking minds and threw a spiteful temper tantrum."

Well I already know what I want for the opening credits theme song.

Serious talk. I don't fucking know about this. I'll file it under L for I will consider it later. If it looks like it won't be a complete turn i will watch an episode as a trial and it's good I'll keep at it. I'm already smelling low quality fromage and it hasn't even been filmed yet.

Samtemdo8:

TheMigrantSoldier:

Steven Bogos:

A bit of lightheartedness and camp, coupled with a serious plot. I wouldn't want it to be Berserk or Game of Thrones levels of dark.

TheMigrantSoldier:

Samtemdo8:

TheMigrantSoldier:

A bit of lightheartedness and camp, coupled with a serious plot. I wouldn't want it to be Berserk or Game of Thrones levels of dark.

Here here. We're talking a game series that had it's roots in a guy killing vampires with a whip. Some dark elements sure but we are also talking pretty fucking camp.

TheMigrantSoldier:

Samtemdo8:

TheMigrantSoldier:

Basically the opposite of what they are trying to do.

And I dislike it, Let Castlevania become as grimdark as Dark Souls, Beserk, and Game of Thrones because that is awesome.

erttheking:

Samtemdo8:

erttheking:

That's a generous way to say "Konami lost their fucking minds and threw a spiteful temper tantrum."

Well here is the reason Silent Hills was too expensive an endeavor for Konami to handle:

1. Kojima, notorious for being very hard to work with.

2. Gulliermo Del Toro, a Hollywood Celebrity, and notorious for presenting things that will not have universal mainstream value.

3. Norman Reedus, another Hollywood Celebrity of Walking Dead fame, any actor of that level is now expensive.

4. A brand new game engine built from scratch.

5. They want to make a Surival Horror in the most un-mainstream proven way as possible.

6. And lastly Konami was never as big and rich as western developers like EA and Ubisoft.

Samtemdo8:

Kyrian007:

Ohh, kind of interested.

Oops, nevermind.

...Castlevania has always had a grimdark vibe to it, and it showed off bewbs before. (Looks at Succubus concept art)

And that's exactly the big problem I was getting at. I'm very afraid that that's exactly why they chose Castlevania. Not because they have a really great Castlevania story they want to tell, But because there's a grim and gritty IP that the owners don't really care about. So they can just crap out broody grimdark stuff that emoey teenagers eat up regardless of quality because they are obsessed with seeming "mature." The nudity... same reason. That's not to say that dark stuff can't be good, and I really enjoy it when it is. Hell, when I was a teenager I was in that goth (it wasn't emo yet) demographic. But I grew up... I realized that Spawn wasn't actually very good, it was mostly just pandering to my demographic.

The big problem? This has all the signs of a project that is shooting at reaching a demographic, as opposed to having the goal of creating an excellent show. It could be as dark and brooding and miserable as it wants and be really good... if it is written well. A Game of Thrones is starting with a template of a well written book series. It can be pretty dark at times, but there is a reason and time for its seriousness... and its lighter moments. Castlevania... isn't starting at the same jumping off point. Its starting with a story written by an 8-bit era Konami, who chose a Gothic Horror setting because of its iconic monsters that they could use as enemies. As opposed to choosing it to (like the best gothic horror writers did) explore fear and terror and what triggers it in any individual and humankind as a species.

Kyrian007:

Samtemdo8:

Kyrian007:

Ohh, kind of interested.

Oops, nevermind.

And that's exactly the big problem I was getting at. I'm very afraid that that's exactly why they chose Castlevania. Not because they have a really great Castlevania story they want to tell, But because there's a grim and gritty IP that the owners don't really care about. So they can just crap out broody grimdark stuff that emoey teenagers eat up regardless of quality because they are obsessed with seeming "mature." The nudity... same reason. That's not to say that dark stuff can't be good, and I really enjoy it when it is. Hell, when I was a teenager I was in that goth (it wasn't emo yet) demographic. But I grew up... I realized that Spawn wasn't actually very good, it was mostly just pandering to my demographic.

The big problem? This has all the signs of a project that is shooting at reaching a demographic, as opposed to having the goal of creating an excellent show. It could be as dark and brooding and miserable as it wants and be really good... if it is written well. A Game of Thrones is starting with a template of a well written book series. It can be pretty dark at times, but there is a reason and time for its seriousness... and its lighter moments. Castlevania... isn't starting at the same jumping off point. Its starting with a story written by an 8-bit era Konami, who chose a Gothic Horror setting because of its iconic monsters that they could use as enemies. As opposed to choosing it to (like the best gothic horror writers did) explore fear and terror and what triggers it in any individual and humankind as a species.

For all I know the movie is gonna be pretty much like the Devil May Cry and Bayonetta animated series:

Or even more clear, its gonna be like the Lords of Shadow game:

But jeez the reaction people gets for Castlevania of all games. Also its kinda painting a broad brush to say Emoey Teenagers will eat it up regardless of quality.

Samtemdo8:

NOT GRIMDARK. Gothic touches.

I refuse to let the infection of 'grimdark' go beyond a reasonably good RPG turned into a bad tabletop game because of said infection.

People need to be the vaccination of the bad ideas others have had...

OT: Tentatively thrilled? But the whole apeing of GoT really killed it for me. Can't we just have an action tv series with self-contained intrigue?

The whole point of the battle between the Belmonts and Drac is a personal recurring skirmish with overwhelming darkness that plays out for generations. It's about confronting the evil at the heart of the world and the eternal vigilance required. It's not taking a holistic anatomy tour of all evil, everywhere.

It doesn't need a cast of 7 million and span continents.

The money you save on not doing a myriad of set pieces and a swollen cast, can you just refrain it to a handful, with gorgeous scenery and aesthetics and some high intensity monster hunting?

Think Ash vs. The Evil Dead.

Core group, some recurring, big bad character arcs, minimal lateral expansion on the effects William's curse has wrought on all humanity, they merely focus on him and his relationship to evil... and the show is awesome for it.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here