CD Projekt Might Make Another Game in the World of The WItcher but Not Witcher 4

CD Projekt Might Make Another Game in the World of The WItcher but Not Witcher 4

witcher-3-ciri-320

CD Projekt says that it might make another game in the world of The Witcher, but "a trilogy can't have a fourth part."

Yesterday, CD Projekt held its yearly financial meeting, where the news came out that The Witcher games have sold over 25 million copies. At that same meeting, once all the announcements were done, the company held a brief Q&A session. As you can imagine, the topic of another Witcher game come up.

In response, CDP President Adam Kicinski said, "The Witcher was designed as a trilogy and a trilogy can not have the fourth part, can it?" That seems to put an end to the idea that we'll see another game starring Geralt of Rivia. However, he didn't completely slam the door on revisiting the world.

"We like this world a lot," Kicinski said. "We invested 15 years of our lives in it and a lot of money. So we'll think about [it]." So while there may not be much of a chance of playing as Geralt, it is possible that we'll see another game in the same setting. It could be a game where we get to play as Triss or Yennifer, and see where they came from and what their stories are like. The continued adventures of Ciri would also be a possibility. It could also be a new story set in the universe, much like Bioware did with Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Whatever CD Projekt decides to do, you can rest assured that if it involves The Witcher, people will be willing to give it a look. You can see the exchange mentioned above in the video below, at around the 41:50 mark.

VR Dwarven Dice Poker 2018, you heard it here first folks.

Technically isn't this already true sense we have Gwent game?

I wouldn't be upset by this in the slightest.

I would still want it to be about a witcher. I'd love a prequel set before Geralt was born and you get to pick to be a witcher from one of the other schools and explore the world during a time where witchers were more common. As awesome as The Witcher trilogy is, ultimately it's a continuation of the books rather than a fully original take on the setting and story. That's why I'd like to see a prequel.

I love CDPR. They have the wisdom to let a franchise die while it's in its prime. If they do another game in the Witcher universe, I'd really like it to be about characters and locations we haven't seen yet. Maybe the early days following the conjunction of the spheres.

If we must revisit known characters, then Ciri would be a good choice.

Imre Csete:
VR Dwarven Dice Poker 2018, you heard it here first folks.

The world isn't ready for that.

I'm kinda sick of the cast of the trilogy, so I say kick 'em out. Let me make my own Witcher, let me choose my school, and just give me a big old world to monster hunt in.

Elfgore:
I'm kinda sick of the cast of the trilogy, so I say kick 'em out. Let me make my own Witcher, let me choose my school, and just give me a big old world to monster hunt in.

That would be pretty cool, one where you make your own character. They wouldn't even have to be a witcher, they could proob come up with something.

IF they do, just please, not an MMO...

This is old news.

Ugh, custom characters are so overrated. In the very unlikely event that you're able to make a decent looking character after the half hour in the crappy creator and it happens to look good outside of the menu, you're still going to be playing with a character who has less personality than the pre-defined character and who will probably look bizarre when their face is being expressive. The developers have far better tools with which to design characters. Custom characters also have less interesting stories.

I don't wanna play as any of the previous characters, though. I want an original character. In the many years from now when another big Witcher game comes out.

id love to explore the world with other custom characters.. another witcher, a merc, bounter hunter

the only problem with predefined characters is you may end up with a total twat that turns off some people.. ala geralt, and having my own allows it to become more immersive

A game set in that world where you can actually make your own character would be amazing. Letting us delve into the fighting styles of many of the human enemies we've seen, like heavy armor and a shield, bows, true magic and so on.

Still waiting on Cyberpunk 2077...

*twiddles thumbs*

I'd like to see Ciri travelling to the world of the Aen Elle.

A whole new world for us to explore through Ciri's eyes would definitely be worth playing.

Please make it Dandelion's Quest just to stir the pot. Have ballad composition mechanics and running from danger at every turn.

I didn't like Ciri very much. Her gameplay contradicted the game. Enclosed, linear paths, auto healing and no weapon durability or inventory. Her teleporting dodge made the combat too simplistic. I also found her top too loose.

Maybe Ciri's adventures across the multiverse? If they tightened up the combat a bit, it could work.

Ive got it folks, you can lock the thread after this:

One on one fighting game in the style of mortal kombat!

Thank you, the pleasure is all mine.

bjj hero:
Ive got it folks, you can lock the thread after this:

One on one fighting game in the style of mortal kombat!

Thank you, the pleasure is all mine.

What a waste of an amazing game world that would be. The Witcher series is all about the lore, fighting games don't care about lore and are all about the mechanics.

I'd like another big open world like TW3, but as this guy said,

Adam Jensen:
a prequel set before Geralt was born and you get to pick to be a witcher from one of the other schools and explore the world during a time where witchers were more common.

I happen to know of at least two trilogies consisting of five books.

Dandelion's Quest - stealth game and after each mission you hear a poem written by him in which he says how he valiantly fought his opponents and killed them all.

a trilogy cant have 4 parts? ha! tell that to the author of Eragon. hell brent weeks, author of the lightbringer "trilogy" is working on the fifth book now. dudes an inspiration, setting records on how many books can be in a trilogy

Ezekiel:
I didn't like Ciri very much. Her gameplay contradicted the game. Enclosed, linear paths, auto healing and no weapon durability or inventory. Her teleporting dodge made the combat too simplistic.

Her mechanics and levels weren't meant to carry a whole game, they were meant to allow you to experience her story through a character that's mechanically different enough to feel like you're really playing as someone else, but not so complicated that you need to learn a whole second character.

There was no point in giving her a need for healing items or item damage, because you weren't supposed to spend any significant time on that character. If they made a full Ciri game she'd have all the same complexity as Geralt I'm sure.

Personally I really hope that isn't where they are going with it, because the biggest weakness of the Witcher games from my perspective is not being able to make your own character and exploring the full range of fighting styles you encounter in that world.

Aetrion:

Ezekiel:
I didn't like Ciri very much. Her gameplay contradicted the game. Enclosed, linear paths, auto healing and no weapon durability or inventory. Her teleporting dodge made the combat too simplistic.

Her mechanics and levels weren't meant to carry a whole game, they were meant to allow you to experience her story through a character that's mechanically different enough to feel like you're really playing as someone else, but not so complicated that you need to learn a whole second character.

There was no point in giving her a need for healing items or item damage, because you weren't supposed to spend any significant time on that character. If they made a full Ciri game she'd have all the same complexity as Geralt I'm sure.

Personally I really hope that isn't where they are going with it, because the biggest weakness of the Witcher games from my perspective is not being able to make your own character and exploring the full range of fighting styles you encounter in that world.

But her gameplay was shallow. There are better ways to do it, like showing her flashbacks as shortened cutscenes or narrated pictures. It might have made her eventual reunion with Geralt more meaningful for the player. Even if you make a full fledged game about her, she has that overpowered teleportation dodge. I'd rather dodge like a witcher, using a sprint button. Dodge and sprint are typically mapped to the same button in games, because it makes sense.

Character creation blows. It's frustratingly crummy and makes for an uninteresting, lifeless, ugly protagonist.

Link XL1:
a trilogy cant have 4 parts? ha! tell that to the author of Eragon. hell brent weeks, author of the lightbringer "trilogy" is working on the fifth book now. dudes an inspiration, setting records on how many books can be in a trilogy

I believe it's more that a fourth game would make the audience tired of Geralt.

90sgamer:
I love CDPR. They have the wisdom to let a franchise die while it's in its prime.

I'd say more to quit while they're ahead is more accurate. The franchise "dying" sounds more like they made a shit game that killed any potential sequel.

Elfgore:

I agree, the cast were great (except Geralt), but staying past their time makes any character an annoying piece of shit you want to just die already. And I have yet to find a protagonist better than anything I could make, and forcing me to put up with more pseudo-OCs isn't going to fix that.

I'm open to a 4th Witcher game. I like TW3, but I feel like its a tad overrated. Sorry, but the game really had somewhat lackluster combat, and its main story was just looking for Ciri for the whole second half. The sidequest and DLC were great though. I hope they can refine the story telling and combat more for Cyberpunk 2077.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here