Fallout: New Vegas Cosplayer Walks Through Town in Costume, Police are Called

Fallout: New Vegas Cosplayer Walks Through Town in Costume, Police are Called

One Canadian Fallout: New Vegas cosplayer ended up being confronted by the police after his costume alarmed some people last week.

When you're going to get your Fallout: New Vegas costume altered, it's probably best not to wear it as you walk to the tailor. That's what one Canadian cosplayer found out last week.

According to CBC News, the unnamed cosplayer was walking through the city of Grand Prairie in Alberta, Canada dressed in a long cost, gas mask, helmet, armor, and a bullet belt. He was also carrying a New California Republic flag. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police received a number of calls from citizens who were worried that the man was wearing a bomb strapped to his back.

As you can imagine, this prompted a rapid police response, with at least eight officers responding. Photos show them in cover with rifles in hand. RCMP Cpl. Shawn Graham said, "He was observed going into a business, so the RCMP members were able to safely remove the staff members from the business."

The business the man entered was Lynn's Alterations, where he was having work done on the costume he was wearing. After contacting the owner and asking if he could see any wires on the individual, police asked the owner to exit the business by the back door. They then made contact with the cosplayer, and after talking with him, "were able to determine that he was wearing a costume and there was no threat to the public." The man was taken into custody and then released without any charge being filed.

The silver tubes that some callers had mistaken for bombs were actually Pringles potato chip cans that were painted silver.

Graham said, "We have to believe everything is real until proven otherwise. In the end you've got a good feeling after going, 'OK, there wasn't a bomb, there was no intent to do anything criminal, it's just someone with their costume.'" He also offered a warning to other cosplayers, saying, "There's a time and a place for it," such as conventions and other events, but "Wandering around downtown [is] maybe not the place to do it."

I... yeah, that's kinda... unsurprising. The whole 'trench coat and gas-mask' thing really should've been a good tip-off for the guy to go 'hang on, I should wear something that lets people know I'm just a cosplayer and not some Anarchist fire-bomber or something'. A fluro-vest or a little sign with 'COSPLAY/COSTUME' printed on it goes a long way to stop police strike teams being called on you.

you cant do that sort of thing these days without getting that sort of response.. my serious response out of the way..

intimidating annexed candian civilians in the uniform of a desert ranger -500 karma

now im wondering what the response would of been if he was wearing power armour cosplay

As much as I'm for freedom of expression... Yeah, this was done for a response. If he just wanted the costume altered, he could have easily brought it in a duffel bag. Or not wear the mask. Or even hell, don't carry the flag while wearing the costume.

Now, I don't think this was done for such a ballistic response, but when you aim to elict emoitions, you seldom know if you're going to get the emotions you hoped for

Well...that's unfortunate. Credit where credit is due though, that is a pretty damn good cosplay.

If he honestly couldn't see people having a problem with a guy walking down the street apparently wearing a gas mask, armour, long coat and a bullet belt, well, what can I say but to call him an idiot?
It's not even like he was even at a convention at the time...

Well I guess that the fascist fashion police does really exist indeed.

Is it too mean to say it's a good thing he wasn't here in 'Merica or he might have just been shot? :D

#PoliticalHumor #DarkHumor #SorryNotSorry :P

Mountie: "There's a time and place for everything! But not now."

TrulyBritish:
If he honestly couldn't see people having a problem with a guy walking down the street apparently wearing a gas mask, armour, long coat and a bullet belt, well, what can I say but to call him an idiot?

Well, actual suicide bombers/terrorist don't call this much attention to themselves. If they did, it would be much easier to catch them.

I understand why civilians were concerned, but the whole thing is beyond ridiculous. It's clearly amateur hour with the RMCP. God help you Canadians if an actual terrorist group decides they want to hurt you. Hopefully, they will wear bright red shirts that say "TERRORIST" on it, so the RMCP know what to look for.

I think we're all ignoring one crucial detail. LOOK AT THAT MANS SWAGGER. Clearly the swagger of evil!

Wrex Brogan:
I... yeah, that's kinda... unsurprising. The whole 'trench coat and gas-mask' thing really should've been a good tip-off for the guy to go 'hang on, I should wear something that lets people know I'm just a cosplayer and not some Anarchist fire-bomber or something'. A fluro-vest or a little sign with 'COSPLAY/COSTUME' printed on it goes a long way to stop police strike teams being called on you.

Too much a new vegas man to not point this out but yo its a duster cause this was an outfit designed for desert operations

tippy2k2:
Is it too mean to say it's a good thing he wasn't here in 'Merica or he might have just been shot? :D

Skin tone might alter the precise response...

But yeah, bit of a muppet to stroll around like that and not expect a response of some kind.

Redvenge:

TrulyBritish:

Well, actual suicide bombers/terrorist don't call this much attention to themselves. If they did, it would be much easier to catch them.

I understand why civilians were concerned, but the whole thing is beyond ridiculous. It's clearly amateur hour with the RMCP. God help you Canadians if an actual terrorist group decides they want to hurt you. Hopefully, they will wear bright red shirts that say "TERRORIST" on it, so the RMCP know what to look for.

To be fair, people unaware of FNV seeing that getup might feel a little scared or at least unnerved... and on the other hand of your argument it only takes one person to cosplay-suicide bomb for it to be a thing. I mean I absolutely agree with you that suicide bombers or mass shooters and terrorists alike usually do not call attention to themselves prior to the incident, but at some point someone will end up dressing up in something outlandish to do such a thing, law of averages and all. I can see why a police force would err on the side of caution, and all.

Imperioratorex Caprae:

Redvenge:

TrulyBritish:

To be fair, people unaware of FNV seeing that getup might feel a little scared or at least unnerved... and on the other hand of your argument it only takes one person to cosplay-suicide bomb for it to be a thing. I mean I absolutely agree with you that suicide bombers or mass shooters and terrorists alike usually do not call attention to themselves prior to the incident, but at some point someone will end up dressing up in something outlandish to do such a thing, law of averages and all. I can see why a police force would err on the side of caution, and all.

There already was the shooting at a movie theater by a guy dressed as the Joker in 2012.

OT: Going out dressed like this outside of a convention is going to cause questions, particularly with something that looks like a gas mask and body armor. This guy is an idiot.

LostCrusader:

There already was the shooting at a movie theater by a guy dressed as the Joker in 2012.

OT: Going out dressed like this outside of a convention is going to cause questions, particularly with something that looks like a gas mask and body armor. This guy is an idiot.

y'know, I don't think he was dressed as the Joker, just claiming to be the Joker... with orange hair... IIRC he was dressed in tactical gear.

Imperioratorex Caprae:
I mean I absolutely agree with you that suicide bombers or mass shooters and terrorists alike usually do not call attention to themselves prior to the incident, but at some point someone will end up dressing up in something outlandish to do such a thing, law of averages and all. I can see why a police force would err on the side of caution, and all.

Looking at world wide statistics, terrorists and suicide bombers are men, over the age of 16 and wear unassuming clothing and backpacks. So, if we are going to check our brains at the door (and we are speaking about LAW ENFORCEMENT, not joe shmoe civilian), then we should be arresting every male over the age of 16 who wears a backpack... because they are statistically more likely to be a terrorist than a dude in a funny outfit.

The whole "it only takes one" is stupid. This is the product of living in fear and shutting our brains off. Nothing more. If Law Enforcement is going to put the problem on the civilian, rather than improving it's backwards methodology, then Canada is totally f*cked.

Redvenge:

Imperioratorex Caprae:
I mean I absolutely agree with you that suicide bombers or mass shooters and terrorists alike usually do not call attention to themselves prior to the incident, but at some point someone will end up dressing up in something outlandish to do such a thing, law of averages and all. I can see why a police force would err on the side of caution, and all.

Looking at world wide statistics, terrorists and suicide bombers are men, over the age of 16 and wear unassuming clothing and backpacks. So, if we are going to check our brains at the door (and we are speaking about LAW ENFORCEMENT, not joe shmoe civilian), then we should be arresting every male over the age of 16 who wears a backpack... because they are statistically more likely to be a terrorist than a dude in a funny outfit.

The whole "it only takes one" is stupid. This is the product of living in fear and shutting our brains off. Nothing more. If Law Enforcement is going to put the problem on the civilian, rather than improving it's backwards methodology, then Canada is totally f*cked.

From a law enforcement point of view, if they get calls from concerned citizens they have to investigate. As the story has stated, they did exactly that, and no untoward detention or harassment has occurred. No tasers, no forceful takedowns, just a standard "ensure the person of interest isn't actually carrying bombs" and release. To be honest, it wasn't exactly the costume so much as the cylinders that looked like pipebombs. That honestly is enough of a concerning feature to warrant the exact response, and maybe more. I'd say they excercised a LOT of restraint, possibly because they figured onsite that the situation wasn't nearly as bad as the call made it out to be after seeing the possible "threat" in person.
I can see there being something here to get up in arms about if there was more violence or severe detention involved rather than what actually occurred and I'll even go so far as to say it probably isn't exactly a smart idea to parade around in a gas mask wearing what could easily be taken for bombs on one's body no matter the actual source of the costume, especially if there isn't a convention going on and it ain't Halloween. And the excuse of taking said costume to a place to get it fitted or whatever is no excuse for wearing it when it could have been transported.
Its not like we're talking about a dude in Boba Fett armor or a Stormtrooper getup. As much as we as gamers would say we can recognize a Fallout New Vegas getup, the average person isn't going to get it. And again, reiterating the whole "things that look like bombs" angle, its very fucking stupid to do.

I'm no expert, but I think a lone Desert Ranger could take on the RCMP.

It makes me sad that the Mounties don't wear the red jackets, jodhpurs and rangers caps anymore, if only because I find the imagery of a squad of people dressed up like Dudley Do-Right being called in to take on a cosplayer hilarious.

Imperioratorex Caprae:

Redvenge:

Imperioratorex Caprae:

From a law enforcement point of view, if they get calls from concerned citizens they have to investigate. As the story has stated, they did exactly that, and no untoward detention or harassment has occurred. No tasers, no forceful takedowns, just a standard "ensure the person of interest isn't actually carrying bombs" and release. To be honest, it wasn't exactly the costume so much as the cylinders that looked like pipebombs. That honestly is enough of a concerning feature to warrant the exact response, and maybe more. I'd say they excercised a LOT of restraint, possibly because they figured onsite that the situation wasn't nearly as bad as the call made it out to be after seeing the possible "threat" in person.
I can see there being something here to get up in arms about if there was more violence or severe detention involved rather than what actually occurred and I'll even go so far as to say it probably isn't exactly a smart idea to parade around in a gas mask wearing what could easily be taken for bombs on one's body no matter the actual source of the costume, especially if there isn't a convention going on and it ain't Halloween. And the excuse of taking said costume to a place to get it fitted or whatever is no excuse for wearing it when it could have been transported.
Its not like we're talking about a dude in Boba Fett armor or a Stormtrooper getup. As much as we as gamers would say we can recognize a Fallout New Vegas getup, the average person isn't going to get it. And again, reiterating the whole "things that look like bombs" angle, its very fucking stupid to do.

/agree

This is probably the brightest bit of news I've seen in a while.

For ONCE the cops react appropriately without overreacting. They get a call which they have to take seriously, then they get everyone out of the building instead of running in guns blazing, then they release the guy without arresting him or putting him in jail for 10 years.

In this day and age, those cops deserve a medal!

This incident is somehow similar another to the one I've read in the local newspaper later year.

Instead of a Fallout cosplayer, it was just Mortal Kombat cosplayers for Charity. This is the UK by the way and those cosplayers lived in those terrance houses so it wasn't so suprising the local over there didn't know what they were dressing up as.

Scarim Coral:
This incident is somehow similar another to the one I've read in the local newspaper later year.

Instead of a Fallout cosplayer, it was just Mortal Kombat cosplayers for Charity. This is the UK by the way and those cosplayers lived in those terrance houses so it wasn't so suprising the local over there didn't know what they were dressing up as.

Go on then, you got me interested - what did they dressed up as? I mean, if it was, say, Goro and Quan Chi, doubt people would really take that as a threat (even though they should), and women characters like Kitana or Jade could definitely be mistaken for "something else" but not in a dangerous manner. However, I suppose something like Kabal might be seen as a problem.

DoPo:

Scarim Coral:

Go on then, you got me interested - what did they dressed up as? I mean, if it was, say, Goro and Quan Chi, doubt people would really take that as a threat (even though they should), and women characters like Kitana or Jade could definitely be mistaken for "something else" but not in a dangerous manner. However, I suppose something like Kabal might be seen as a problem.

Oh sorry, I can't believed I forgot to mention that. Well be dissapointed, all I can remember was that there were three of them and one of them was Sub Zero. They didn't dress up fancy or detail like since this was for charity so no, it wasn't the larger or detail Mortal Kombat characters you're thinking of.

Not reacting at maximum speed, with appropriate threat evaluation on the spot, after the initial call is made.

Violence is not prevented or stopped promptly.

Public Condemnation of Police

This situation:

Reacting at maximum speed, with appropriate threat evaluation on the spot, after the initial call is made.

No violence, minor inconvenience/shock to the innocent suspect identified. Situation defused.

Public Blame: A)The Caller, B)The Innocent Suspect, C) The Police, or D) All of the Above

I sympathize with the police on this one. They're typically praised more for shooting the maniac than not shooting the innocent. Someone saw something they thought was a threat, the police showed up and did their job by being prepared for the worst but not assuming they knew everything on the ground without a report from their own people.

This cosplayer admittedly should have traveled with his helmet off or been more discrete but he wasn't doing anything wrong besides being tactless about his appearance and his surroundings. Nothing, reported here at least, indicates he was attempting to intimidate or carelessly waving a prop weapon around. Being out for fun in your costume I get but wear something over the tactical armor detailing and don't wear the helmet. There's not a cosplay parade going on and New Vegas armor isn't as synonymous with 'innocent nerd' as other costumes, like Stormtrooper armor.

The callers, quick on the draw on the 911 dial, no doubt didn't get a detailed look. Use of a mask confirmed worst fears at a distance. They thought they were doing the right thing and obviously didn't know it was just a costume. Can't blame them here too much either. I got in shit with a store owner and a few costumers for wearing a ski-mask in -40C while waiting for a friend when I was a teenager.[1]

I know when I get my Vet Ranger costume together, I'm sure as Hell not walking everywhere in it and probably never alone unless I'm in surroundings where it seems appropriate. Even then I could anticipate a quick glance from an officer. The guy made a mistake. You can take liberties with costumes when you're 10 and 150cm tall, not as an adult.

So yeah. A dude, in a costume I someday want to have myself, walked downtown in a mask and people mistook details of his suit as explosives. They called for protection, the police reacted but got information before resorting to force. The guy realized what was happening, surrendered peacefully (because of course you would!) and relieved everyone by not being what they feared. A second mistake on his part, or on the officers' side, could have ended in tragedy.

Good on the RCMP for handling it like they did.

tippy2k2:

#PoliticalHumor #DarkHumor #SorryNotSorry :P

Honestly, probably. I know media here focuses only on the mistakes of police down South and almost never on their right decisions. People owning firearms is much more common with your folks, so much so that an American officer may very well have just gone straight for the shot if the situation was more confused.

Imperioratorex Caprae:
On Point

I'm a bit biased because this is legitimately an outfit I've wanted a high-quality version of for years so I already put thought into how/when to wear it. I think being aware of the public's interpretation of your costume is something to consider if its connected directly with armament. That said, I'm not going to be completely afraid to wear it either. The fact this story happened is going to stick with me when I eventually do get the full cosplay up and running.

[1] Yeah it was dumb but people see the worst in you when they can't see a face.

Dammit! Unit 43 to base, scrub Operation Annex Mooseland. Repeat, scrub Operation Annex Mooseland. An operative jumped the gun.

tippy2k2:

Eh, you get USAliens wandering round in public with semi-automatic weapons clearly visible, just so they can provoke confrontations with police and films themselves saying "I have a right to do this" at people.

skywolfblue:
For ONCE the cops react appropriately without overreacting. They get a call which they have to take seriously, then they get everyone out of the building instead of running in guns blazing, then they release the guy without arresting him or putting him in jail for 10 years.

In this day and age, those cops deserve a medal!

Is that unusual for Canadian police, though?

Eh, it's dumb to not realize this may easily cause alarm and so it's a really poor choice on his part

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here