You Now Need to Give Valve Your Telphone Number to Play DoTA 2

Pages 1 2 NEXT

You Now Need to Give Valve Your Telphone Number to Play DoTA 2

dota 2 reborn 02

An update to DoTA 2's ranked mode requires all players provide a unique telephone number to play.

A change has just rolled out for Valve's DoTA 2 that requires all players who wish to partake in the game's ranked mode to provide the developer with a unique telephone number. The goal is to reduce the amount of people using "Smurf" accounts - new accounts created in order to play games at a lower rank than the player's skill level, as well as provide "additional security" to the game.

"Players using multiple accounts create a negative matchmaking experience at all skill brackets, so our goal is to add just enough friction to this process that the number of players doing this will be noticeably reduced," said Valve. "Having more players using their primary accounts will have a positive effect on both Ranked and Unranked Matchmaking."

Players will be given a two-week grace period starting from today to register a number, allowing them to continue to play ranked games. Additionally, If a phone number is removed from an account after registration and replaced with a new number, there will be a three month waiting period before the old number is able to be registered to another account. Online services that provide phone numbers are not allowed.

The update also brings back Solo Queue to the game, allowing players to queue for ranked matchmaking all by their lonesome. Players queuing in solo queue can also choose to be matched only with other solo queue players.

Finally, Ranked Matchmaking will no longer be available in South Africa, India, and Dubai. "While there are some players that used these servers for Ranked, the low populations made them prime targets for various Ranked Matchmaking abuses. For the time being, players in these regions will need to join Ranked Matchmaking queues in one of the other nearby supported servers," said Valve.

Source: Valve

Fuck off with the "security" BS. Bad enough the market is locked out for people who dont two-step verify. I just want to trade my cards in peace dammit.

As for this...good thing I dont play Dota 2...or MOBAs in general.

I mean it's DotA 2 so it wont die from this. But god damn if I played the game I wouldnt now.

You know what would've been easier than this though Valve?

Ban Russia, Korea and China from playing outside their region.

Yeah, it sounds bigoted as fuck. But you know what? The data bears it out - these three regions are the root cause of massive problems for the other regions (some estimates put it at 90% of all cheating, real money scams and botting come from these three regions - with the cheating being the big thing of Russia, the botting from China and CN/KR sharing the same for real money scams). They're so problematic for League, DotA 2 and other games that players from NA/LAN/EU/OC/JP actively ban or block players from these regions if possible and dodge/leave matchmade games when they get people from these regions.

Paragon Fury:

Yeah, it sounds bigoted as fuck. But you know what? The data bears it out - these three regions are the root cause of massive problems for the other regions (some estimates put it at 90% of all cheating, real money scams and botting come from these three regions - with the cheating being the big thing of Russia, the botting from China and CN/KR sharing the same for real money scams). They're so problematic for League, DotA 2 and other games that players from NA/LAN/EU/OC/JP actively ban or block players from these regions if possible and dodge/leave matchmade games when they get people from these regions.

I can understand Russia and China, but Korea? I thought they just took MMOs way too seriously and had a hard on for hating Japan.

Paragon Fury:

Leave it to Valve to ignore the simple and effective solutions. Matchmaking for Team Fortress 2 is terrible. You'll get thrown into games nowhere near where you live. On the other side of the nation, on the other side of your continent, or on the other side of the planet -- I've been thrown into all of it. Why they can't just assign you only to Virginia servers if you live on the east coast I'll never know.

And I still can't trade with anyone reasonably because I don't have a smartphone.

Zontar:

Paragon Fury:

I can understand Russia and China, but Korea? I thought they just took MMOs way too seriously and had a hard on for hating Japan.

Korea is actually really bad. Cheating in video games there is bad enough where there's actually laws against it. The main reason it's so prevalent is their cyber Cafe's where people go to game. They don't need to worry about being banned because it isn't their own, home computer.

I seriously hope this doesn't end up setting a precedent for this sort of thing.

MHR:
And I still can't trade with anyone reasonably because I don't have a smartphone.

To add insult to injury: Valve claimed they would work on a way for people without smartphone to trade properly.
About three to four years ago by now.

Guess they don't care about people without smartphones.

Aeshi:
I seriously hope this doesn't end up setting a precedent for this sort of thing.

Well, if the playerbase suddenly drops by about 90% (total or just ranked matchmaking), it'll send a message to everyone else. Maybe not to Valve because it's Valve, but others.

Where did this crap begin where apps demand access to your phone contacts if you download a game and often just to view something, you must enter your email and number? Fuck right off with that.

Bindal:

Now I am curious as to how many Dota2 players there are that don't have smartphones.

Um, am I the only one not bothered by this? I mean, maybe it's because I don't play Dota or Lol or any of the other ones, but I'm not really seeing the big problem here? Especially when the only other situation I'm seeing being offered by the comments is too ban certain countries from playing outside their region.

As I know from experience how smurfs can completely screw over the competetive games such as this, I'd say this is fairly reasonable. And considering that you already give Valve your phone number whenever making a purchase on Steam, people are without a doubt overreacting.

TrulyBritish:
Um, am I the only one not bothered by this? I mean, maybe it's because I don't play Dota or Lol or any of the other ones, but I'm not really seeing the big problem here? Especially when the only other situation I'm seeing being offered by the comments is too ban certain countries from playing outside their region.

Pretty sure almost everyone would prefer it even without it blocking new alt accounts.

Petter Jonsson:
As I know from experience how smurfs can completely screw over the competetive games such as this, I'd say this is fairly reasonable. And considering that you already give Valve your phone number whenever making a purchase on Steam, people are without a doubt overreacting.

It's one thing to give it in order to perform a digital purchase of content, it's a totally different thing to do it just to play a game. Hell, people are still spooked about the former due to the screw-up during Christmas a while back.

I can't help noticing there is no mention of actually verifying the phone number. Is there anything to stop people just picking a random number?

None of you really give a shit. You're just crying outrage because it's some kind of hobby for you people. You'll all forget about it pretty quickly.

It's not even a bad change. It isn't a discrimination charged change like Paragonfury's dumb suggestion. And it'll help reduce toxicity, with anoniminity being reduced with accounts tied to phone numbers. It also makes permabans far more effective. A huge hurdle in free to play games.

Putting a phone number down isn't intrusive to anyone who isn't a culprit of cheating or smurfing in Dota. Which is essentially the point. They're not suddenly going to spam your inbox or spy on you because they know your number.

Paragon Fury:

90% of cheaters may be from 3 regions. But that doesn't mean that 90% of people in those regions are cheaters. Nor would Valve want to alienate and lose the extremely large playerbase in those regions by pooling them with all of the cheaters.

Your suggestion doesn't solve the problem. It just stops it from affecting you specifically.

Petter Jonsson:

I never had to enter any phone number anywhere when buying games on Steam.

About time. Hope this will impact smurfing.

Bindal:

Petter Jonsson:

You have to enter it along with the other credentials and personal info.

Kibeth41:
None of you really give a shit. You're just crying outrage because it's some kind of hobby for you people. You'll all forget about it pretty quickly.

I'll forget about it as an active subject, but I'm probably not playing Dota 2 ever again.

It's not even a bad change. It isn't a discrimination charged change like Paragonfury's dumb suggestion. And it'll help reduce toxicity, with anoniminity being reduced with accounts tied to phone numbers.

I'm pretty sure that a good chunk of the "toxicity" comes from the usage of Cyka Blyat.

Putting a phone number down isn't intrusive to anyone who isn't a culprit of cheating or smurfing in Dota.

Others feel differently.

Which is essentially the point. They're not suddenly going to spam your inbox or spy on you because they know your number.

Probably not, but it is more information to be lost in the even of a breach. Not even counting the time they screwed up themselves.

Nor would Valve want to alienate and lose the extremely large playerbase in those regions by pooling them with all of the cheaters.

Instead they'll just alienate everybody that doesn't want to fork over their phone number and drive them to League.

Your suggestion doesn't solve the problem. It just stops it from affecting you specifically.

...You saying that is kind of admitting the problem comes specifically from certain regions.

I stopped playing Dota years ago, but if I didn't I certainly would have dropped the game now. I don't like giving my info everywhere. There is absolutely no need for a video game developer to know my private phone number and them knowing it doesn't come at any really benefit for me. Just more information for them to sell and abuse.

Petter Jonsson:

Bindal:

Petter Jonsson:

No, I don't. Never had.
I charge my Steam Wallet via Steam Cards I buy in a store.
And when I buy games on Steam, I just select "use funds from my Steam Wallet".
That's literally all I have to do to pay.
I would need to enter all that stuff you are talking about if I would pay via credit card. Which I don't. And never will.

inb4 you can't purchase games on Steam without giving them your phone number (and I refuse to give it to them).

This should help with the smurfing problem people are having recently. Lots of people have been making a lot of noise regarding that recently. Or perhaps that's just a few really loud people, I'm not sure, hah! Perhaps it'll help reducing the toxicity as well. And the same patch is supposed to do something against the bots as well (tho i've never run into any bots, or at least didn't notice them, haha!). So i guess we'll see how this goes. I'll be hoping for the best.

Bindal:

Petter Jonsson:

Bindal:

No, I don't. Never had.
I would need to enter all that stuff you are talking about if I would pay via credit card. Which I don't. And never will.

If you'd written it in your first comment it would've been more clear as to why you don't have to, now I know.
A lot of people do, however, pay directly with their credit cards, and the fact remains; Valve already has a boatload of phone numbers belonging to Steam users for verification purposes, this is not a new thing.

Petter Jonsson:

Bindal:

Petter Jonsson:

No, I don't. Never had.

If you'd written it in your first comment it would've been more clear as to why you don't have to, now I know.
A lot of people do, however, pay directly with their credit cards, and the fact remains; Valve already has a boatload of phone numbers belonging to Steam users for verification purposes, this is not a new thing.

Must be a US-only-thing then because most people I know live in Europe and pay via PayPal, Steamcards or PaySafeCards (last ones are functionally the same as Steamcards).

Also, why should I have written that I don't use credit cards? You should just not have presumed that everyone uses them, instead, when there are other methods available. And all non-credit-card-payments don't require anything else.

Saelune:
Fuck off with the "security" BS. Bad enough the market is locked out for people who dont two-step verify. I just want to trade my cards in peace dammit.

As for this...good thing I dont play Dota 2...or MOBAs in general.

Oh thius isn't about security. It's about keeping smurfers outta ranked.

Bindal:

MHR:

To add insult to injury: Valve claimed they would work on a way for people without smartphone to trade properly.

Then explain how I am able to use the Authenticator WITHOUT a smartphone. Simple, it will run on any iOS or Android device whether it's a phone or not. The only thing you need a phone for is the one-time text message with the code to activate the Steam app on the device of your choice. Even an old, dumb, flip phone can do that.

They could have just made the game not free to play anymore. There's plenty of players already, in fact it's got one of the largest player bases on Steam currently. So just put a price tag on it.

MHR:

Yeah, this sort of thing is getting absurd. For me it had gotten to the point where I had to buy a cheap second, second hand smart phone just to deal with all this bullshit so it doesn't get lost and some random stranger has access to my life on the internet.

J.McMillen:

Bindal:

MHR:

Then explain how I am able to use the Authenticator WITHOUT a smartphone. Simple, it will run on any iOS or Android device whether it's a phone or not. The only thing you need a phone for is the one-time text message with the code to activate the Steam app on the device of your choice. Even an old, dumb, flip phone can do that.

Valve mentioned a complete non iOS/Android approach - which still needs to accept that they are a phone to some degree.
While your solution is nothing Valve came up with to begin with, it's just a side effect how things work with the default.

In other words: Valve fixed fuck all in three years despite claiming that they would try to do so (which is no surprise, actually)

Adam Jensen:
They could have just made the game not free to play anymore. There's plenty of players already, in fact it's got one of the largest player bases on Steam currently. So just put a price tag on it.

The reason it has that large playerbase is the fact it's F2P. Making it paid would cause the playercount to drop immensely because quite a lot people would just not want to pay for it, period.

The article title is very misleading; you do not need a phone number to play the game at all, you need a phone number to play the Ranked Matchmaking, which is a small subset of the available options. This kind of misleading title is really quite unprofessional and strikes me as either clickbait or not fully understanding what the update did. Either way, I kinda expect better.

The update is fine. People need to stop overreacting. There are more people in the world with phones than people seem to think. Anyone saying that this is "going too far" or that they refuse to give their "information" to Valve need to chill; it's just a phone number, they're not asking for your social security or whatever. You give them your fucking credit card info when you purchase games.

Bindal:

Valve mentioned a complete non iOS/Android approach - which still needs to accept that they are a phone to some degree.
While your solution is nothing Valve came up with to begin with, it's just a side effect how things work with the default.

In other words: Valve fixed fuck all in three years despite claiming that they would try to do so (which is no surprise, actually)

Mentioned, not promised. Also, maybe they decided that putting both pieces of software on the same machine (Steam & Authenticator) would still make someone vulnerable to a hack that allows remote access to the PC. If someone remotely gained control of your desktop they would have access to both programs and could easily gift and authenticate your inventory to a shell account then quickly traded off or sold on the market to unsuspecting buyers.

Two factor security only truly works when two separate devices are used.

J.McMillen:

Bindal:

Mentioned, not promised. Also, maybe they decided that putting both pieces of software on the same machine (Steam & Authenticator) would still make someone vulnerable to a hack that allows remote access to the PC. If someone remotely gained control of your desktop they would have access to both programs and could easily gift and authenticate your inventory to a shell account then quickly traded off or sold on the market to unsuspecting buyers.

Two factor security only truly works when two separate devices are used.

That's a highly unrealistic scenario and we both know it. Anyone that would go that far out of the way to do that wouldn't bother just taking a few peoples random steam inventory items...

EquestrianGeneral:
The article title is very misleading; you do not need a phone number to play the game at all, you need a phone number to play the Ranked Matchmaking, which is a small subset of the available options.

That is mentioned in the article and it's probably presumed that most people play ranked matchmaking to begin with.

Kibeth41:
None of you really give a shit. You're just crying outrage because it's some kind of hobby for you people. You'll all forget about it pretty quickly..

Hi. I'd like to welcome you to The Escapist.

EquestrianGeneral:
The article title is very misleading; you do not need a phone number to play the game at all, you need a phone number to play the Ranked Matchmaking, which is a small subset of the available options. This kind of misleading title is really quite unprofessional and strikes me as either clickbait or not fully understanding what the update did. Either way, I kinda expect better.

I take it you're not familiar with Steven Bogus Bogos?

Yeah, this sort of thing is par for the fucking course with him. Anything to stir up a shitstorm of a 'nontroversy'.

Seriously, Steven, is it worth it? I assume you're paid by views but is the money good enough to counterbalance the damage you're doing to what remains of your reputation? Come on, brother. You can be better than that.

Adam Jensen:

Holy christ, do you have any idea of the hissy fit the internet would throw if they did that? Especially with the item market present in the game?

Look at how up in arms people are in this thread over the simple act of requiring a phone number for ranked play[1]. Hell, remember the tantrum people threw when TF2 went free to play? Imagine the tantrum people would throw over Dota 2 suddenly going premium...

[1] Not play in general, RANKED. That means only a small subset of Dota 2's player base is required to give a phone number to play a small subset of Dota 2's vast array of play options. And even then, it's a subset in desperate need of a system to cut down on smurf accounts. Something that requiring a phone number immediately remedies.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here