Call of Duty: WWII Confirmed

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Call of Duty: WWII Confirmed

codwwii

Activision has officially announced Call of Duty: WWII.

Last month several Call of Duty: WWII images were leaked. While the pictures certainly appeared to be plausible, and sources confirmed that they were legitimate, there was no official word from Activision until today.

Activision officially confirmed today that the next game in the Call of Duty franchise will, in fact, be set during World War II.

The confirmation is just that - a confirmation. No details were provided - the full reveal will take place during a livestream at 10am PT on Wednesday, April 26.

Activision recently announced that it has plans to create a Marvel-like cinematic universe based on the Call of Duty franchise. The plan appears to be to create a universe inspired by the games, instead of using the plots from any of the games. The first film could hit theaters as early as next year.

Hopefully they have a better name than "World War 2" because that is just a silly name.

The series is just dead to me now. Maybe five years down the line I'll find this in a bargain bin and play the singleplayer.

Setting alone won't do the trick. They need to do a complete gameplay and business model overhaul. Nothing less will suffice.

They already confirmed this in February when they announced that they're returning to their roots.

Also, what's the next-next one gonna be?

Call of Duty WWII 2?
WWII Black Ops?
WWII Warfare?

Ten years later when people are sick of WWII games again they will go back towards Modern Warfare type stuff.

Vietnam war, Korean war... anything. Just anything else.

The Vietnam War lasted 9. Fricking. Years.

Please drop world war 2

ObsidianJones:

Please drop world war 2

I believe they did Vietnam is one of the Black Ops ones.

iconoclast xvii:

ObsidianJones:

Please drop world war 2

I believe they did Vietnam is one of the Black Ops ones.

I remember, but was it general war? It was clandestine stuff, right? Not the all out war effort

Ugh, man, the series only got cool when it went scifi. I mean it could still be fun, but... meh.

Worgen:
Ugh, man, the series only got cool when it went scifi. I mean it could still be fun, but... meh.

Most of the fans seem to disagree with that and want more Modern Warfare instead. Or at least near-futuristic, if the backwards compatibilty of Black Ops 2 is anything to go by (spiked up to 100.000 players on the XBox One when it was playable on there)

I certainly hope they don't fully abandon the futuristic setting.

Bindal:

Worgen:

Most of the fans seem to disagree with that and want more Modern Warfare instead. Or at least near-futuristic, if the backwards compatibilty of Black Ops 2 is anything to go by (spiked up to 100.000 players on the XBox One when it was playable on there)

I certainly hope they don't fully abandon the futuristic setting.

I doubt its most fans but there are certainly a loud as hell minority. Really though I think its more series fatigue. A new one each year for the last like what, 10 years? 11? Cod wants to be a big multi game but constantly having to buy a new one each year gets to people. Plus they pretty much achieved twitch perfection with blops2's multi. I liked the multi in advanced warfare more but blops2 did feel fantastic multi and it probably worked better on consoles too.

Im just disappointed that futuristic never caught on. I just think that futuristic settings are much more interesting, at least from a design perspective... maybe i'll make a thread about that....

Anyway, WW2 is cool, I guess, and even though from my perspective, I've played enough WW2 games in my lifetime, but considering CoD's young demographic, a lot of those players have probably never played a WW2 CoD, considering that the last one came out in 2008, so I can't really fault them at all.

Will be nice to see a current gen-WW2 game, though.

I am just wondering the scope of the campaign?

Is gonna have Western and Eastern Front Europe?

Along with The Pacific Theater and mabye North Africa/Italy?

Anti-American Eagle:
World at War 2 would make more sense as a title at this point. WW2 or World War 2 just sounds weird with well... five of them that come to mind that I own being set during the second world war not including expansion packs.

they couldn't have just done world at war 2 could they? they had to full retard

In for the campaign. Love the setting, love CoD1&2, love the guns, the factions, everything. Sledgehammer did great with Advanced Warfare, too. Here's hoping it's banging.

No-one gives a fuck about the Vietnam/Korean wars outside of 'Mumaricans. They've toyed with the idea of a 'Nam focused game at a time before, and that was the conclusion they came to after market research. Can't say I'm not glad, I'd rather have some variety with Brits and Russians, than another round of yanks wanking about.

MC1980:

No-one gives a fuck about the Vietnam/Korean wars outside of 'Mumaricans.

As someone who can't go into the history section of the library without quickly spotting a plenthora of books on the Vietnam War, I respectfully disagree.

Samtemdo8:

Well, look at how the CoD games have progressed over time. We started off with the ability to play British, American, and Soviet forces. By the 'second era' of CoD, that was reduced to British and American (Modern Warfare), or Soviet and American (World at War). Nowadays, we have single protagonists of all-white, all-male, all-American protagonists.

Somehow I'm skeptical that a WWII game is going to change that, or if it does, it won't go beyond the 'greatest hits' of WWII that we've seen a million times. :(

I'm disappointed. I was hoping they'd up Battlefield being in WWI by doing the American Civil War or the Napoleonic Wars.

Followed by Call of Duty World War 2 2

aaaaaaaand it's looking like it's US only for the campaign

fan-fucking-tastic, mumarica saves the world, 'WWII' aight

it's going to be 'innovative' band of brothers shite, right

fuck off

and they have 1920s tommy guns with fucking drum mags, in 1944 for fuck's sake, they changed that shit early on in service, drum mags were nice, but were a bit unwieldy in cases, got easily damaged and rattled, so they went with straight mags instead, among other less obvious changes

Samtemdo8:

Along with The Pacific Theater and mabye North Africa/Italy?

Plot twist: you play as the Nazis.

Joke. Activision doesn't have the cohones to pull that off.

Souplex:
I'm disappointed. I was hoping they'd up Battlefield being in WWI by doing the American Civil War or the Napoleonic Wars.

They can't do that due to the lack of any sort of automatic weaponry in those eras. Battlefield got away with World War I by including a lot of prototype and limited production weapons and making light machine guns far more common on the battlefield than they actually were. Doing American Civil War or Napoleonic would massively slow down the pace of the game as you'd be restricted to single shot weapons that take half a minute to reload. For the Civil War you would have revolvers, but after your six shots you are also looking at a half minute+ reload time due to the lack of any real ejection system and/or not having access to metallic cartridges.

Bottom line is World War I is the earliest you can set a military shooter and still have a palatable weapon selection, and even that requires a bit of stretching. Anything set before that isn't going to fly unless they want to go for the alternate history steampunk route.

MC1980:
aaaaaaaand it's looking like it's US only for the campaign

Source? I mean, I can believe that, but I'd like to know for sure.

MC1980:
No-one gives a fuck about the Vietnam/Korean wars outside of 'Mumaricans. They've toyed with the idea of a 'Nam focused game at a time before, and that was the conclusion they came to after market research. Can't say I'm not glad, I'd rather have some variety with Brits and Russians, than another round of yanks wanking about.

No one cares about the Korean war outside of Americans? You'd better tell Kim Jong-Un; he seems to feel strongly about it. It's good to realize that Americans aren't the only people in the world, but going from that to "Americans and Europeans are the only people in the world" isn't really an improvement.

ObsidianJones:

Ho declared independence in 1945. Saigon fell in 1975. Even if you're somehow posting from Mars, that's the longest nine years I've ever heard of.

If they are going to do WWII, they NEED to not just do the Western Europe shit AGAIN. Seriously, we have North Africa, the Pacific Islands, and other things all over the damn world.

Real talk, have the Italians EVER been in any of these WWII games? I can't remember a single one where the Italian army was even really acknowledged let alone involved in the fighting. The Italians basically only exist to be liberated by the Yanks (And sometimes Brits, never Canadians or Aussies though because they don't exist according to WWII media). Imagine if they did a tutorial level set during the Italian invasion of Ethiopia.

Recusant:

Ho declared independence in 1945. Saigon fell in 1975. Even if you're somehow posting from Mars, that's the longest nine years I've ever heard of.

You're combining the First Indochina War with the Second Incochina War (a.k.a. the Vietnam War). They're generally regarded as two separate conflicts.

demoman_chaos:

Real talk, have the Italians EVER been in any of these WWII games? I can't remember a single one where the Italian army was even really acknowledged let alone involved in the fighting. The Italians basically only exist to be liberated by the Yanks (And sometimes Brits, never Canadians or Aussies though because they don't exist according to WWII media). Imagine if they did a tutorial level set during the Italian invasion of Ethiopia.

"These WWII games" as in Call of Duty? Then, IIRC, no. In WWII games in general? Yeah, the Italians have been in a few ones, such as Medal of Honour: Breakthrough/Airborne, Battlefield 1942: The Road to Rome, and Sniper Elite 4.

Also, let's be fair, Australia and Canada were hardly heavy players in WWII, and I say that as an Australian. Canada has featured though, in Call of Duty 3 and in a single mission in Battlefield 1942 (the Caen one). Australia, to my knowledge, hasn't. Partly because Australia wasn't really a major player outside it a base of operations in the Pacific, partly because you can't really separate Australia from either British operations (Tobruk, El Alemain, Singapore), or American ones in the Pacific. Maybe Kokoda, but I think that's it.

Hawki:

Recusant:

You're combining the First Indochina War with the Second Incochina War (a.k.a. the Vietnam War). They're generally regarded as two separate conflicts.

demoman_chaos:

"These WWII games" as in Call of Duty? Then, IIRC, no. In WWII games in general? Yeah, the Italians have been in a few ones, such as Medal of Honour: Breakthrough/Airborne, Battlefield 1942: The Road to Rome, and Sniper Elite 4.

Also, let's be fair, Australia and Canada were hardly heavy players in WWII, and I say that as an Australian. Canada has featured though, in Call of Duty 3 and in a single mission in Battlefield 1942 (the Caen one). Australia, to my knowledge, hasn't. Partly because Australia wasn't really a major player outside it a base of operations in the Pacific, partly because you can't really separate Australia from either British operations (Tobruk, El Alemain, Singapore), or American ones in the Pacific. Maybe Kokoda, but I think that's it.

Australia was in Medal of Honor: Rising Sun if I recall.

Recusant:

A bit egotistical, but if a new game comes I feel most designers will focus on American's involvement, as I believe they will see that as the main customer demographic. Their main campaign is what I was referring to.

meowchef:
Australia was in Medal of Honor: Rising Sun if I recall.

It isn't. I played it this year.

It does score some diversity brownie points though - you play a US marine who later joins the OSS (so, nothing out of the ordinary there), but you're helped by a British agent, a Nisei spy, team up with the Chindits on some missions, and help an Indian fighter pilot on one mission.

ObsidianJones:

Recusant:

A bit egotistical, but if a new game comes I feel most designers will focus on American's involvement, as I believe they will see that as the main customer demographic. Their main campaign is what I was referring to.

Well, sure. But that's my point: the United States has existed for less than 250 years; even if you include the pre-independence colonial days, you only have so many wars to work with. Activision, of course, is probably not going to bother using wars that had no American involvement, but there's great potential in them nonetheless.

Hawki:

Recusant:

Tell that to the Vietnamese. Like pretty much all wars, it was a grand clusterfuck of the highest order, with several sides fighting multiple enemies for often vague and confusing reasons. There may have been little Western involvement for a while, but that doesn't make it any less of a war- it wasn't until Saigon fell that the country was united, after all.

Souplex:

You mean Darkest of Days 2?

Honestly, that might be interesting. Though probably even dumber then the first game was.

"You need to be careful not the change history, so don't shoot certain people. Also, here's a futuristic assault rifle. Show those confederates a thing or two".

Also, can we please not visit Stalingrad and D-Day in this one? Yeah, they're cinematic, but CoD has done Stalingrad in 3 separate games at this point and D-Day in 2. WW2 took place, you know, all over the world. How about some of the lesser known theaters?

Now im already tired of WW2 games again.

That's an adventurous leap you're performing there, nothing quite like leaving your comfort zone to explore new and exciting settings, right? Stunning ground breaking material. Inspirational. Daring. Can't wait to unravel the mystery behind this conflict.

I guess I'm in the minortiy but WWII could actual bring me back to the franchise. I love media that portrays that war.

They could have at least tried on the title though. They copied Battlefield 1 and somehow it's still worse.

Apparently, it won't have a zombies mode - because Treyarch might release a 8 maps megamappack of remastered zombiemaps for Black Ops 3.
Not sure if those are actually related or if either is true but if both are, I wouldn't be surprised about the relation.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here