The Vanquish PC Port is Real and Releasing Later this Month

The Vanquish PC Port is Real and Releasing Later this Month

vanquish-320

Sega has been teasing a PC port for Vanquish for a while now, and it looks like it's going to be out this month.

If you've been paying attention to Sega of late, you've probably seen them teasing something Vanquish-related. Since we just saw a PC port of Bayonetta, fans are hoping to get to play the third person shooter on their PCs as well. If you're one of them, here's some good news. Not only is the PC port of Vanquish real, it's coming out this month.

The announcement came this morning on the official Sega Twitter account, culminating a couple of days of teaser photos. If you already own the PC Port of Bayonetta, you'll be able to grab the PC version of Vanquish for 25 percent off, but only until launch.

The third-person shooter from Platinum Games was originally released on PS3 and Xbox 360 in 2010, receiving praise for its gameplay and criticism for its short length. In a statement, Sega executive John Clark said that the company has seen a "positive response" to its recent PC ports, and that gamers should keep an eye on Sega for more. "There's more to come from Sega in this space, so stay tuned for further announcements," he said.

The PC port of Vanquish is launching on May 25. You can find it on Steam.

Thank you SegaEU.

If Segasuddenly release a Yakuza collection for PC...Damn. (And now it's not so far fetched! Maybe even coinciding with the western release of Yakuza Kiwami)

Huh. I did not remember the game looking that ugly.

Yeesh.

surft:
If Segasuddenly release a Yakuza collection for PC...Damn. (And now it's not so far fetched! Maybe even coinciding with the western release of Yakuza Kiwami)

I would say thousand times yes, but the team behind yakuza is probably far less familiar with pc development than platinum.

Zhukov:

Yeesh.

You damn kids today, I remember what ugly games looked like. Go back to the ps1 days if you want to see ugly.

Now if only Capcom would give us a pc port of Asura's Wrath...

Worgen:

Zhukov:

Yeesh.

You damn kids today, I remember what ugly games looked like. Go back to the ps1 days if you want to see ugly.

Back then, they looked like they were in the middle of looking at the Ark of the Covenant.

Hmmm, let's see what they're asking for it. €20? That's decent. I'd be willing to put that down.

Valkyria Chronicles, Bayonetta, now Vanquish. Seems Sega likes giving their lesser successes a second chance on PC.

surft:

A large part of this is due to Platinum and their desire to do these ports. SegaEU no longer has its go to porting studio that did Valkyria, so they either have to ask the Japanese devs to port it, or hire a new porting studio. And going by how much SegaEU was downsized, they probably don't have the means to do the latter. The Valkyria porting team was incredibly small and cost efficient, so they were able to fund that.

By chance, Platinum currently has an excess of manpower, so they were free to focus on ports of their old games. Plus, they wanted to do them, so SegaEU managed to work out a deal. No such thing applies to the other parts of Sega. The best we can hope for is that these Platinum ports do well, and that can help convince Sega Japan to port some of their own titles to PC.

Sadly, every time Japan decided to port to PC, they either port poorly selling games, or games nobody wanted. Around '11-'12 they ported over stuff like Binary Domain, Sonic Generations, Jet Grind Radio, Sonic Adventure 2, House of the Dead Overkill, Vikings Battle For Asgard, Castle of Illusion, NIGHTS, Dreamcast Collection. It coincided with their initiative to port old games to new consoles. Most of those sold quite poorly, Generations was the only game to do notably well. This killed that effort.

Then SegaEU did a port of Valkyria with a smaller team, which did well. So Japan decided to port Sonic Lost World over, which sold like complete garbage, since it was a 2 year old port of a terrible game everyone knew was bad. Guess they thought it would do well, since Generations did too. So Japan decided to abstain from porting once more.

We'll see where this current run of ports will get us. SegaEU wants ports to happen, but by mandate they have to focus on their successful PC ventures first, and ports of Japanese games amount to little more than a passion project.

I loved the game, on the PS3, I hope ya'll playing it on the PC don't get too shitty a version.

Because, well, SEGA.

So... Sonic's on, Platinum is doing great things... Could Virtua Fighter PLEASE release on Steam? PLEASE?!

surft:

I'd rather have the Kiwamis tbh. We're getting Kiwami 1 this year and Yakuza 0 was successful enough outside of Japan. Sega said they want all the numbered Yakuza games on PS4 so its likely Yakuza 2 Kiwami is coming.

Sega EU has been doing well the the PC ports too.

Tanis:
I loved the game, on the PS3, I hope ya'll playing it on the PC don't get too shitty a version.

Because, well, SEGA.

They're PC ports are actually top notch tbh. Bayonetta is awesome and so was Valyria Chronicles. Binary Domain was a great port too. Back in 2015 Sega said they were shifting to be more digital friendly and started dropping lots of PC ports.

Even opened up the entire Sega Genesis Collection to mods via the Steam Workshop.

Pickapok:
Now if only Capcom would give us a pc port of Asura's Wrath...

There are alot of games Capcom should port to PC, and two in particular deserve it above all others.

The people complaining about the length didn't understand the game - like people complaining about Bulletstorm.

Yes you can play through it once in 4-6 hours, but it's not a standard FPS. It's all about perfecting your kickass moves till you're a killing machine racking up combos like mad. NG++++ is where it's at.

Might pick this up. I missed the boat on the original release, but I have enough confidence in Platinum's ability to make a stylish as hell spectacle.

Ayyyyyy finally! What with all the hints it really did seem to be just a matter of time but even so, that was quick. Really glad to hear this. I had a blast with the game on my 360 and it will only benefit from the bump in resolution and frame rate. Really looking forward to this one. I'm installing Bayonetta as I type this so fingers crossed it's as good as other Platinum games.

Also, "UNLOCKED RESOLUTION" "UNLOCKED FRAMERATE"
Just take me now Platinum. You know what I like.

Zhukov:

Yeesh.

What do you mean by ugly? The fidelity, the color, what?

Because even looking at original gameplay footage it looks alright for a 2010 release.

DeliveryGodNoah:

Zhukov:

Yeesh.

What do you mean by ugly? The fidelity, the color, what?

Because even looking at original gameplay footage it looks alright for a 2010 release.

All of it.

The designs, the colour scheme, the textures, the effects... everything.

Weresquirrel:
Might pick this up. I missed the boat on the original release, but I have enough confidence in Platinum's ability to make a stylish as hell spectacle.

DO IT! You're primary method of rapid transit is sliding along the ground, because you have ROCKETS attached to your HIPS.

ROCKET. HIPS.

Also it's wonderfully cheesey and arcadey all throughout and has a kickass soundtrack (at least for the purposes of the game). It's tough, but with a low (ish) skill floor and a high skill ceiling. Just like most of Platinum's games.

Protip: weapon upgrades hold over between deaths, and they only upgrade if you have full ammo when you find one on the ground, or if you find an upgrade power up. If you get stuck on the last boss you can use this to your advantage because a fully upgraded rocket launcher will mess him up, and there's a couple laying around you can reliably get to before he kills you.
... or maybe not. I haven't played it in years. I just remember that being a thing.

Quazimofo:

Weresquirrel:

DO IT! You're primary method of rapid transit is sliding along the ground, because you have ROCKETS attached to your HIPS.

ROCKET. HIPS.

Also it's wonderfully cheesey and arcadey all throughout and has a kickass soundtrack (at least for the purposes of the game). It's tough, but with a low (ish) skill floor and a high skill ceiling. Just like most of Platinum's games.

Protip: weapon upgrades hold over between deaths, and they only upgrade if you have full ammo when you find one on the ground, or if you find an upgrade power up. If you get stuck on the last boss you can use this to your advantage because a fully upgraded rocket launcher will mess him up, and there's a couple laying around you can reliably get to before he kills you.
... or maybe not. I haven't played it in years. I just remember that being a thing.

Don't forget about the Rocket Sliding. A game where you can pummel robots or kick flip them in the air. For people on the fence, don't miss out on the best cover shooter ever made. I got mine on sale for $39.99, a month after launch, and don't regret anything.

CoCage:

Quazimofo:

Weresquirrel:
snip

What's Lewis Carroll's favorite treat?

a Snicker Snack

Yeah dude, I bought it, played it until the disk broke, bought another copy years later, and am buying it on PC even if I wind up never playing it. These guys earned my money.

Excellent news ! One of the best PS360 gen TPS. Hopefully they make a Vanquish 2 later on PC / PS4 / ONE.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here