Danger Zone Turns Burnout 3's Crash Mode into a Full Game When it Launches May 30

Danger Zone Turns Burnout 3's Crash Mode into a Full Game When it Launches May 30

If you loved Burnout 3's Crash Mode, you should keep an eye on Three Fields Entertainment's Danger Zone when it releases later this month.

Three Fields Entertainment is a developer founded by the same folks who founded Criterion, so it shouldn't be a surprise that its newest game is inspired by Burnout 3. That game had a "Crash Mode" that rewarded you for causing crashes, with bigger crashes giving bigger rewards. That's the premise for Danger Zone.

Three Fields says that "The Danger Zone is a virtual Crash Testing Facility where players step into the shoes of a Crash Test driver and are challenged to survive a variety of spectacular crash testing scenarios."

The game will include a single player mode with 20 unique crash testing scenarios, as well as connected leaderboards so you can compete with your friends for crash-testing supremacy. Fiona Sperry, Three Fields' founder and CEO, said in a press release, "Danger Zone takes what made the Crash Mode featured in 2004's Burnout 3: Takedown so popular and transforms it into an all-new car-crashing, arcade-style game. We look forward to engaging those same fans by delivering an entirely new and extremely fun experience."

Danger Zone will be out on PC and PS4 on May 30.

Burnout 3 is one of my all-time favorite game. Crash mode was fun, but it got boring after a while. With Burnout 3, you can play other modes along with crash mode. I don't know that a game with just this one mode would be worth getting.

Didn't have a chance to play Takedown....but I did have a chance to play Revenge, and that was - outside of Mario Kart - my favorite racing game ever. The crash mode...good lord, my and my friends would spend HOURS playing that for the increasing level of challenge (to the point where you had to destroy every vehicle on the map) and for the pure "OMG THAT WAS FUCKING AWESOME!!!!" factor.

The thing I loved about it is that it was a puzzle game. You had to survey the environment and determine what was the best way to cause as much destruction as you could. It's because of that puzzle factor that I think this game could do well. Some might say "so this is a game based on a minigame that was in a quasi-battle racing game? How could this expect to succeed?" That's certainly an understandable viewpoint, however look at Portal (and even Portal 2): it's purely a puzzle game. Once you've completed all the puzzles you know the solutions, so there really is no point in owning the game beyond that.

Similarly, in this game once you've mastered the "optimum crash", you've effectively solved the puzzle. Even so, however, once you've done that you'll still be able to mess around and try other things with your physics defying car (assuming the use mechanics similar to that in Revenge and - I'm assuming - Takedown in that you can, for example, have your car nose-grind uphill for three blocks before making a 90 degree turn to start making the people at that intersection's cross-street start crashing).

Burnout 3 was perhaps my favourite original Xbox title, shame they've decided with this not to develop a One version.

*shrugs*

Oh well.

Sorry but this looks rubbish, the reason why the crash mode worked in Burnout was because it was a singular feature a polished and tasty cherry on a rather sweet and well made cake, remove the cake and while you may have a tasty polished cherry but the reality is NOONE is buying just the cherry and that's why this looks rubbish.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here