Get High, Shortchange Your Gamerscore

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Get High, Shortchange Your Gamerscore

It used to be the prevalent anti-drug message was that you'd either overdose or end up in jail, but it appears that the current administration is taking aim at something a little less serious: Gamerscores.

In a new anti-marijuana push, the anti-drug site Above the Influence cites pot as a detriment to gaming ability, blaming the drug for inhibiting reaction time, memory and perception. The site cautions that getting high will do nothing but hurt your ability to pull off headshots or slay magical dragons.

The site also includes two Second Life caliber videos detailing a pair of videogame characters injured as a result of their teammate's altered state. A pink haired, pink eyed anime ninja from the video: "I used to have a good time with Lyle. We made a good team. He had skill. He had swiftness. Well, he used to, anyway. Then our last fight, Lyle decided to get high. And it was simply: sayonara skill, sayonara swiftness." So not only will you be ruining your personal kill/death ratio, but you'll also be letting down your guild members and clan teammates.

The site describes THC's effect on perception thusly: "Smoking pot affects alertness, concentration, perception coordination and reaction time - many of the skills required for winning a battleground, defeating an opponent, beating games in addition to safe driving and other tasks." The addition of driving at the end of the list seems a bit ridiculous - it seems logical that if you shouldn't be playing GRID while high, you shouldn't be driving in real life, either. The site makes an effort to target both individual and multiplayer games as well, so even if you're just playing through the story mode, you apparently could be doing it more effectively.

It seems pretty ridiculous that lung cancer, big fines, and criminal charges are taking a backseat to hindering someone's ability to get onto a leaderboard or score some rare gear for their avatar, but I imagine it's a direct consequence that's a lot more tangible for a 15-year-old. Of course when that same 15 year old sees "RenegadeTHC" at the top of the 50 Cent: Blood on the Sandleaderboard, he might have to think twice.

Source: Above the Influence

Hahaha.... no.

This is 100% false, I know when I'm high I'm better. When I'm on shrooms I am immortal at any video game. I think it has to do with being so focused into the game but I dunno.

Oh, that is rich... Gah, let the potheads have their pot, they aren't hurting anyone.

This is just a scare tactic for MLG clans. You guys have got nothing to worry about.

But what about games like Noby Noby Boy, who's existence is predicated upon pot?

Quite funny, but quite false. A friend of mine plays better when high, quite an odd phenomena.

KaZZaP:
This is 100% false, I know when I'm high I'm better. When I'm on shrooms I am immortal at any video game. I think it has to do with being so focused into the game but I dunno.

Maybe you so high you think you are...

black lincon:
Quite funny, but quite false. A friend of mine plays better when high, quite an odd phenomena.

Well getting high can relax you but after a while it causes a slew of problem so I geuss it keep him calm but O dought he can keep the performance up forever.

I sent them an E-mail telling them to cease and diciest before I jam my foot up their uneducated asses.

apparently gamers have not been listening to those adds...

Bah. Games are more fun when high. You play games to have fun. Ergo, pot makes gaming better.
Or so I'm told.

Marijuana killed my father. And raped my mother. Then it pawned my DVD player for weed money.

It may miss the more serious issues but hey as long as it gets the message across.

Gregorus Prime:
Marijuana killed my father. And raped my mother. Then it pawned my DVD player for weed money.

And then you trained hard and set out to find the devious bastard!
And, with the words "I am Inigo Montoya, you killed my father. Prepare to die!", you smoked it.

Har har har smoked.

Goldbling:
I sent them an E-mail telling them to cease and diciest before I jam my foot up their uneducated asses.

If the anti-videogame media has taught me anything, it's that that never works. In fact, it tends to have the opposite effect.

Anyway, obvious falsehood to anyone with a working brain aside, this is actually fairly smart. It won't work, but they're beginning to catch on to the fact that if you want someone not to do drugs, you have to show them how it affects things that are important to them and, more importantly, tangible.

Gregorus Prime:

No Greg, Marijuana IS your father!

Bored Tomatoe:
Oh, that is rich... Gah, let the potheads have their pot, they aren't hurting anyone.

As sxephil on Youtube famously said: "I'm more worried about alcohol at parties then pot. Because I have never had to say "look out for Steve, man, he's had a few too many bong hits and now he may take a shot at you." In fact, it's usually more like 'look out for Steve, man, he may eat all your Cheerios and sleep on your couch."

Also, as a guy who has played on an all-baked Left4Dead Versus team and won by several thousand points, I can safely say that weed hardly kills your ability to play.

Gormourn:
Hahaha.... no.

Hahaha...no...too.

What a joke, I'm WAY better when I've had my herbal remedies.

This is your gamerscore:

THIS is your gamerscore on drugs:

That's just so low... I wonder if anyone buys it.
Now that I think of it, not such a bad tactic (even if it's incredible cheap), imagine people marketing products that promote your gaming ability; almost like selling diet products.

I mean if you really want to get high then just choose games that go along, or aren't hardcore.
Noby Noby anyone?

HomeAliveIn45:
This is your gamerscore:

THIS is your gamerscore on drugs:

I notice their rep actually went up when they were caught cheating.
lol?

GRoXERs:
I notice their rep actually went up when they were caught cheating.
lol?

Also, he went underground.

This list would disagree
http://www.thelastboss.com/post.phtml?pk=2298

Its a little old - you also need to add Super Stardust HD, Noby Noby Boy, Flower, and LittleBigPlanet

i know that when im high playing video games is way more fun..playing F.E.A.R 2 high is great.

It works for Mario, why can't it work for me?

When I play COD4 past midnight there are a lot of people who are playing it while high. But they usually don't care about there score and are just amazed if they get more than 2 kills.

.... Man WHAT?

Bored Tomatoe:

We're helping people, rather than getting drunk and causing street problems, your just staying in your home, happy and relaxed.

An interesting idea, and certainly something new. It's good for them; creativity is the key.

But they should have read their stereotypes first: Most gamers are arrogant. Now, arrogant stoner gamers? Yeah, you're not going to get a word into them.
Pretty much what we're seeing on this thread at the moment.

"I lost my job... I lost my wife... I lost my house... I lost my level 9 runesword of ice damage with +17 water resistance... Drugs, they'll ruin your life...That sword took fucking ages."

black lincon:

A friend of mine does, too. I assume it has something to do with being relaxed.

Whatever quality of Weed that guy is on...I want some just so I can get Videogame Charecters to come to life....

Does it strike anyone else that anyone on Drugs that wants treatment would feel negative when they here the words "Above the influence"

Above the influence: Don't get High,Get on the High horse

"With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking that just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know."

RockWhore:
"With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking that just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know."

Very relevent HST ref right there :)

One thing companies such as "Above the Influence" needs to learn is either have a message with some back up...(hmm fast food clogs your insides) or you just have a message that is equal to what some stoned 13 year old Wikipedia changing pokemon player could churn out.

Brotherofwill:
That's just so low... I wonder if anyone buys it.
Now that I think of it, not such a bad tactic (even if it's incredible cheap), imagine people marketing products that promote your gaming ability; almost like selling diet products.

I mean if you really want to get high then just choose games that go along, or aren't hardcore.
Noby Noby anyone?

I've always imagined that something like that would sell. Food products or minor exercise items and stuff like that. The slogan could be something like "Overclock your body"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here