Namco Building Life-Sized Gundam

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Namco Building Life-Sized Gundam

The Japanese are getting their Statue of Liberty: a life-sized, 59-foot tall upright Gundam.

Over in Japan, they take their Gundam seriously, and when the franchise celebrates its 30th anniversary later this year, a new movie or anime series just ain't gonna cut it. No, the only proper celebration is erecting a life-sized, 59-foot-tall Gundam statue in Tokyo this July.

Built from fiberglass-reinforced plastic on top of a steel frame, the statue will be up for only two months in Shiokaze Park. It'll be a sight to see in broad daylight, but even moreso at night: fifty points on the statue will shoot out light and another fourteen points will emit mist for maximum coolness.

This isn't the first time a gigantic Gundam statue has been built in Japan, but it's the largest scale project yet. So far, there's been a 33-foot-tall statue and a 23-foot-tall one, as well as another life-size one, but that one apparently couldn't stand upright and was built lying on its back.

Bandai Namco is designing the statue so that it can be disassembled easily, according to Anime News Network. Which, of course, means that it can be reassembled easily, when the galactic space wars inevitably begin.

[Via Kotaku]

Aww man. This is awesome, but why couldn't it be the Nu Gundam?

Hmm...this is an awesome waste of money, but it's still an expensive awesome waste of money.

CantFaketheFunk:

Because they're celebrating the classics, dude! And I think those new-fangled Gundams with ten-million swords and angel wings would be too complicated to build anyway.

Keane Ng:

CantFaketheFunk:

Because they're celebrating the classics, dude! And I think those new-fangled Gundams with ten-million swords and angel wings would be too complicated to build anyway.

Hey, the Nu was from Char's Counterattack, piloted by the same guy who did the first Gundam. It's also by far my favorite design in the franchise.

C'mon, just look at it!

...ok, maybe they would have to leave the Fin Funnels off.

It's things like this that make me want to hop on the next plane to Tokyo.

And then I remember the faecal headgear.

I'm pretty sure this is in Revelations...

I must go to Japan!!

In summary....YEEEESSSS!!!

what wonderful way to waste talent. I full encourage this.

That would be like Canada making giant statues of Nickelback.

CantFaketheFunk:

Keane Ng:

CantFaketheFunk:

Hey, the Nu was from Char's Counterattack, piloted by the same guy who did the first Gundam. It's also by far my favorite design in the franchise.

C'mon, just look at it!

That's probably my favorite Gundam Design from the UC series, though I do have a soft spot for the Victory Gundam and the very oddly designed Turn A Gundam.

Does anyone know if they plan to make it pilotable? The thing would go from awesome to absolutely epic if they did.

PedroSteckecilo:

That's probably my favorite Gundam Design from the UC series, though I do have a soft spot for the Victory Gundam and the very oddly designed Turn A Gundam.

If we're talking just Gundams, then I agree. But my favorite UC design overall is the Kampfer. For AUs... I like the Turn A, absolutely freakin' LOVE the Freedom (not Strike Freedom, the regular one) and I like the 00, Exia, and Dynames.

Only in Japan.

CantFaketheFunk:

Keane Ng:

CantFaketheFunk:

C'mon, just look at it!

That's way cooler than the one they're building.

Keane Ng:

CantFaketheFunk:

But why are they using the Ver. Ka redesign instead of the original design?

Griever18:

More like Bob and Doug McKenzie.

CantFaketheFunk:

PedroSteckecilo:

If we're talking just Gundams, then I agree. But my favorite UC design overall is the Kampfer. For AUs... I like the Turn A, absolutely freakin' LOVE the Freedom (not Strike Freedom, the regular one) and I like the 00, Exia, and Dynames.

For non-Gundams in the series I like Amuro's first Mobile Suit from "Chars Counter Attack", the one that transforms. But I was a Macross Nerd first, so I love transformable giant robots. I'm also currently working my way through Gundam Z and there's something I just love about the Rik Dias's in that series. I also really love the Federation Standard Mobile Suits from Chars', can't recall what they're called either.

I've read in a different article that it has some sort of "Interactive Gundam Crisis attraction"
This thing is crazy, shame its only up for a few months.

This is the other article

It was only a matter of time, they are building their robot army and are preparing to launch an attack!

PedroSteckecilo:

CantFaketheFunk:

PedroSteckecilo:

For non-Gundams in the series I like Amuro's first Mobile Suit from "Chars Counter Attack", the one that transforms. But I was a Macross Nerd first, so I love transformable giant robots. I'm also currently working my way through Gundam Z and there's something I just love about the Rik Dias's in that series. I also really love the Federation Standard Mobile Suits from Chars', can't recall what they're called either.

Are they GM IIIs, or are those in another one? It's been forever. I could never get into Macross, sadly :(

PedroSteckecilo:

CantFaketheFunk:

PedroSteckecilo:

The Jegan, an awesome upgrade for the GM if you ask me. I think there are a ton of awesome looking mobile suits that they could make a statue of, but it makes sense for it to be the original. My favorite UC mobile suits would be either Nu or Sazabi, probably Sazabi because of my slant towards Char, although Kampfer and Gerbera Tetra are sweet too. Favorite non-UC would be either 00-Raiser or Cherudim (shield bits ftw).

CantFaketheFunk:
Are they GM IIIs, or are those in another one? It's been forever. I could never get into Macross, sadly :(

GM III's are also in CCA, but you don't see them for any long period of time. The Jegan is the standard MS for Londo Bell though, so you see them in droves.

Well it is unfortunate that I have no way of affording to go see it! DAMMIT!

KSarty:

The Jegan, an awesome upgrade for the GM if you ask me. I think there are a ton of awesome looking mobile suits that they could make a statue of, but it makes sense for it to be the original. My favorite UC mobile suits would be either Nu or Sazabi, probably Sazabi because of my slant towards Char, although Kampfer and Gerbera Tetra are sweet too. Favorite non-UC would be either 00-Raiser or Cherudim (shield bits ftw).

I'm sorry, but as awesome as the shield bits are, I can't get over the damn thing's feet.

I dunno. There's something about the Freedom in HiMAT mode with wings fully spread that is just gorgeous to me. For all SEED had issues (and let us not speak of Strike Freedom), I love the Freedom to DEATH. And I love my MG Freedom :D

CantFaketheFunk:

KSarty:

I'm sorry, but as awesome as the shield bits are, I can't get over the damn thing's feet.

I dunno. There's something about the Freedom in HiMAT mode with wings fully spread that is just gorgeous to me. For all SEED had issues (and let us not speak of Strike Freedom), I love the Freedom to DEATH. And I love my MG Freedom :D

Personally I wasn't a big fan of SEED, but some of the MS designs really are pretty cool. What makes Cherudim so awesome for me is not so much its appearance, but its abilities. Sniper rifle/SMG, dual pistols/blades, shield bits, and an onboard Haro. Whats not to love?

Would it be just a statue?

I think this would be just a good chunk of money wasted.

iJosh:
Would it be just a statue?

I think this would be just a good chunk of money wasted.

A Gundam statue with working lights and mist machines. Thats the coolest statue ever.

Oh god, It would be pretty cool to see then.

Griever18:

well at least the statues would have more talent

KSarty:

Personally I wasn't a big fan of SEED, but some of the MS designs really are pretty cool. What makes Cherudim so awesome for me is not so much its appearance, but its abilities. Sniper rifle/SMG, dual pistols/blades, shield bits, and an onboard Haro. Whats not to love?

SEED was okay, but I do love its mecha. And Mwu la Flaga.

...ok, yeah, I pretty much watched SEED just for the Strike, Freedom, and Mwu.

Cherudim does have awesome armaments. I just hate its feet :(

Somethingfake:
It was only a matter of time, they are building their robot army and are preparing to launch an attack!

To arms people, their Mecha army will destroy us all unless we join forces.
I will begin preparation of Operation Mecha Crab.

</drool>

Keane Ng:

CantFaketheFunk:

While Hi-Nu happens to be my favorite, followed by Nu, and then the Crossbone variants Keane is right, it's all about the classics, the first Gundam, the trademark image of said mobile suit, and so it has to be that one...

But Fin Funnels = Win, all the same

Why would you want to celebrate Gundam? Honestly...

The Gardener:
Why would you want to celebrate Gundam? Honestly...

Because in Japan, Gundam is a big as Star Wars. Also it would be funny if they put a mock cockpit inside and charged people to have there picture taken inside the cockpit.

Jman1236:
Because in Japan, Gundam is a big as Star Wars. Also it would be funny if they put a mock cockpit inside and charged people to have there picture taken inside the cockpit.

This...has got to be...the best idea....EVAR!

goes to make travel arrangements

interesting idea....

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook