BBC Hijacks PCs to Prove a Point

Pages PREV 1 2

ChocoFace:
It's creepy how i'm not surprised by this.

Work some time in tech-support, 1 or 2 months are easily enough, and you won't be surprised anymore. Firewalls and scanners can provide only so much security, if the user clicks on anything that pops up, security goes byebye.

I've seen programmers click on those "Your computer is infected"-popups and one would think that at least them know what they are doing when it comes to software...

Skrapt:

GRoXERs:
[insert snooty mac/linux bragging here]

That's pretty awesome, but isn't it technically illegal?
It certainly is in the US, but I don't know about the UK.

This country is home to Phorm - we're used to public/private companies being able to install spyware on our computers or at our ISP's without our knowledge.

dude...that sucks

ElArabDeMagnifico:
I'm going to rob banks to prove how insecure they are....

dude...great idea!

Somethingfake:

GrahamCluley:
Snip

MR. Cluley, they sought legal advise on doing this, it's on their twitter.

And Mr. L33tsauce_Marty, if you read carefully enough (which you didn't) it says "As a secondary test, the bot-net attempted a Distributed Denial of Service(DDos) against a friendly target **that was expecting it**, the security company Prevx."

So as long as they know and agree for testing, it is legal.

dude...twitter is now a legitimate form of legal council? or are you saying they announced it on their twitter? the BBC has a twitter? wtf is wrong with the world? i hate twitter? was that even a question? oh well?

Specter_:

ChocoFace:

Work some time in tech-support, 1 or 2 months are easily enough, and you won't be surprised anymore. Firewalls and scanners can provide only so much security, if the user clicks on anything that pops up, security goes byebye.

I've seen programmers click on those "Your computer is infected"-popups and one would think that at least them know what they are doing when it comes to software...

so my status will go from not surprised to not surprised. hmph.

ChocoFace:

Specter_:

ChocoFace:

No. It will go from "It's creepy" to "Yeah, I expected that" or even "Wow, only 22k?"...

hcig:
[quote="Skrapt" post="7.96800.1503772"][quote="GRoXERs" post="7.96800.1503737"][insert snooty mac/linux bragging here]

snip

To hcig, I *read* from their twitter that they gained legal advise, not gained that advice *from* twitter. Christ.

Specter_:

ChocoFace:

Specter_:

ChocoFace:

No. It will go from "It's creepy" to "Yeah, I expected that" or even "Wow, only 22k?"...

Oh. well, thanks for clearing that up.

The_root_of_all_evil:
As an end result, the "infected" computers were removed from the bot-net and sent a message by the BBC telling them that their computer was insecure and how to fix it. No personal data was accessed on any of the infected computers.

If you're already receiving a healthy dose of spam, are you really going to pay attention to that email?

For those interested the 23 minute report is now up on the BBC website.

Right hand column here.

The message from the BBC though wasn't so much as an email, as replacing their desktop background with a full screen warning. No half measures from our Auntie.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here