Nintendo Says it is Making "Significantly More" SNES Classics than NES Classics

Nintendo Says it is Making "Significantly More" SNES Classics than NES Classics

snes-classic-320

You may have a better chance of getting your hands on the SNES Classic Edition, as Nintendo says it is making "Significantly More" units this time around.

Earlier today, Nintendo announced that it would be producing the SNES Classic Edition, a throwback console that packs in 21 classic SNES titles. But just as the entire internet was getting excited about that announcement, it was also remembering the stock issues that plagued the NES Classic before it was finally discontinued in April. Nintendo is hoping to avoid similar shortages this time around, as it has told Polygon that it plans to produce "significantly more" units of the SNES Classic than it did the NES Classic.

In a statement, Nintendo said, "We aren't providing specific numbers, but we will produce significantly more units of Super NES Classic Edition than we did of NES Classic Edition." Unfortunately, it may not continue the production run very long. In the same statement, the company said, that it plans to continue production of the SNES Classic "from Sept. 29 until the end of calendar year 2017." While that doesn't mean that Nintendo couldn't make more consoles past that point, it did say that, "At this time, we have nothing to announce regarding any possible shipments beyond this year."

The SNES Classic Edition launches on September 29. It doesn't appear to be on Amazon in the US just yet, but you can bet that it will be a hot commodity once it becomes available.

And I own Valve.

RaikuFA:
And I own Valve.

Half Life 3 confirmed?

I'll only believe Nintendo on Snes Classic if preorders last more than a week.

ffronw:

The SNES Classic Edition launches on September 29. It doesn't appear to be on Amazon in the US just yet, but you can bet that it will be a hot commodity once it becomes available.

Translation
Scalpers.
Scalpers everywhere!

Saltyk:

RaikuFA:
And I own Valve.

Half Life 3 confirmed?

WHAT THE FUCK IS A 3?

RaikuFA:

Saltyk:

RaikuFA:
And I own Valve.

Half Life 3 confirmed?

WHAT THE FUCK IS A 3?

Well played, sir. I got a good laugh out of that.

"I'll never hit you again, honey, I swear! That ain't the real me! I was drunk/had a bad day at work."

I still believe that the Classic NES is just a myth, as I have yet to see one, or even meet someone who owns one. We shall see if this SNES is any different.

I'll believe that when I see it.

That said, I'm going to snag my preorder as soon as it's available, just in case.

So that means they're making, like, ten of them, then?

shrekfan246:

Nah they,re pulling out all the stops this time. They're gonna make a whole dozen this time.

Randomosity:

shrekfan246:

Nah they,re pulling out all the stops this time. They're gonna make a whole dozen this time.

Shit, I don't know how they'll be able to afford that sort of expense.

Oh Christ. That image reminds me that America got the ugly SNES.

Oh ok, so every other retail store might get a single product instead of just every third one like last time?

Each store will get 7, instead of 5.

"We aren't providing specific numbers, but we will produce significantly more units of Super NES Classic Edition than we did of NES Classic Edition."

Has there ever been a more bullshit statement from Nintendo than that? Like, we won't tell you exactly but take our word for it, we'll defo make more of them this time even though the production run will be like three months.

If I were an Amazon scalper, I'd have a hard-on the size of the Washington Monument right about now. The dozens of NES Classics that these jackasses appearently bought up are sitting pretty at three to four and a half bills these days. Imagine what these things will fetch.

Fuck Nintendo.

Oh, what is it they say in England?

"Pull the other one. It's got bells on."

Nintendo, you're about as trustworthy as King Backstab of Backstabbington County, during the International Pickpocket Festival.

Oh good, so retailers in my town will get two units every THIRD day instead of every fourth. Yep, that'll totally meet the demands of the 20+ people lining up daily before the stores open.

Loop Stricken:
Oh Christ. That image reminds me that America got the ugly SNES.

Yeah, the Famicom/Euro design is far better.
Maybe it's again market based and the EU and Japan get the good design again.

already out of stock for pre-ordering in the UK, so going to be a great time for the one person who ordered the 5 allocated to the UK.

going to be shit for regular people, here's to not getting one, just like I didn't get a Mini-Nes Oh well maybe I'll have more luck with N64-Mini, not bloody likely though.

Sniper Team 4:
I still believe that the Classic NES is just a myth, as I have yet to see one, or even meet someone who owns one. We shall see if this SNES is any different.

I have seen one for sale in a used games shop. For ?115. Which is considerably more than the cost of buying an NES with a stack of games... in the same shop.

"Nintendo apologizes for it's lack of stock for the SNES Classic, but says it has learned an important lesson. Nintendo says it is producing significantly more of [new nintendo item] to meet demand."

Oddly, it looks like online retailers in the US are still not taking preorders yet.

Which is odd, considering they are in the UK.

A 100% increase would be a significant number. It also still wouldn't be nearly enough.

Snes Classic is already sold out on Amazon while I wasn't looking.
https://www.amazon.com/Super-NES-Classic/dp/B0721GGGS9/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1498593994&sr=8-5&keywords=snes+classic
Thanks Nintendo, you're really convincing me to not give you my money.

Jacked Assassin:
Snes Classic is already sold out on Amazon while I wasn't looking.
https://www.amazon.com/Super-NES-Classic/dp/B0721GGGS9/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1498593994&sr=8-5&keywords=snes+classic
Thanks Nintendo, you're really convincing me to not give you my money.

It's not sold out yet. Various sites are saying that U.S. pre-orders have not gone live yet, and that there have been no confirmed date/time release for U.S. pre-orders.

Same thing with Best Buy's site: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nintendo-entertainment-system-snes-classic-edition/5919830.p?skuId=5919830&ref=199&loc=oelFIBIMgTk&acampID=1&siteID=oelFIBIMgTk-Oj9iMo_OL.Q4Z4AikO5qrw

Meanwhile, retro hardware dealers continue to chuckle as they get paid for actual SNES consoles, or combination console and other multigame devices that are third-party, but work just as well. I could probably head downtown and find one, myself.

FalloutJack:
Meanwhile, retro hardware dealers continue to chuckle as they get paid for actual SNES consoles, or combination console and other multigame devices that are third-party, but work just as well. I could probably head downtown and find one, myself.

Assuming that Nintendo actually keeps pace with sales and you can actually find an SNES Classic in a store, you'd be out a ton of money. SMRPG: Legend of the Seven Stars by itself will set you back 60 bucks. Not to mention the twenty other games it's coming with, many of which you won't find for cheaper than 20 bucks individually and the console itself setting you back 30 to 40 bucks. Honestly, assuming that Nintendo doesn't keep pace and you have to buy one off a scalper for 300 bucks, you'd probably break even price wise if you wanted to get at least half the games on that list. Maybe you'd even come out ahead. Collecting old games is an expensive hobby.

That's also not getting into the problem that a lot of these old cartridges are reaching the end of their usable lives. My Link to the Past cartridge doesn't hold save files anymore because the battery inside it is dead and I don't have the confidence to fix that problem without accidentally breaking the fucking thing.

I mean... you do you. But if your only goal is to play these old games instead of actually collecting and maintaining them, you'd likely be getting a much better deal if you manage to get your hands on the SNES Classic.

Kajin:
Snip

Funny, I go to places and this stuff is usually low in price. Are you sure you're not thinking of Ebay, or an anime convention? Old conoles don't sell as high, commonly, because they're old AND those who got them may not get rid of them, so you have to get what you can, and demanding high will make your customer keep walking.

FalloutJack:

Kajin:
Snip

Funny, I go to places and this stuff is usually low in price. Are you sure you're not thinking of Ebay, or an anime convention? Old conoles don't sell as high, commonly, because they're old AND those who got them may not get rid of them, so you have to get what you can, and demanding high will make your customer keep walking.

I'm going off what I can recall. Most SNES cartridges at the local retro store I go to sell between 5, 8, 12 and 20 depending on how rare and popular they are. I wouldn't expect to find a Mario game there for cheaper than 20. I just checked my collection and the price tag I was too lazy to tear off put DK2 at 20 bucks. The original might be less or it might be more, I don't know. Checking more price tags... I was wrong about SMRPG, I only paid 50 bucks to get it. Still cheaper than ebay, but if you find it anywhere for much cheaper than that I'd be pretty surprised. Yoshi's Island I bought for 25 bucks.

I ripped the price tags off the rest of them so I can't check, but yeah. Maybe you're just super lucky and the retro stores you went to could charge prices less than half that? I mean I live in a rural area so it's possible I was just getting price gouged by what was quite possibly the only retro store in a fifty mile radius... But even discounting the SNES system, if you wanted to buy all 20 of the games the SNES Classic is coming with and you somehow managed to get them all for 5 bucks each, you'd still be 20 bucks in the hole compared to what you'd be paying if you just bought the blasted SNES Classic. Assuming that Nintendo actually keeps pace with sales, of course, but that's something we won't know until it actually hits the shelves.

Kajin:
Snip

I think it may be more to do with region than me being super-lucky. I mean, I DO enjoy some good fortune from time to time, but there are a few factors here that are more important than circumstance. First, it probably is something about the region. I'm a city boy. There's more competition and more business. Second, if the demand for the product is low, it will not be high-priced ever. In fact, Nintendo's device will actually drive down the price so that dealers can compete. Business is business. Third, Nintendo chooses what is going to be on their compilation machine. We got people complaining about there being no Chrono Trigger, or including something they don't want. I have a few compilation GAMES for my systems. I get the idea. Still, if I were to buy a SNES on the cheap, I would then proceed to get only what I want for it. The value of the Classic is only as strong as the desire for what's in it. I could win out on pick-and-mix alone.

I can actually cite you a good parallel to the situation. I use to have a Gameboy, along with a number of games, Game Genie, an attachable speaker, and even a Tote for it all. After a while, I sold it to pay for other gaming goodness. Years later, I happened upon a vendor at a convention, selling Gameboy Color and some games. I'd been kinda' wanting to play some Tetris, so quick-and-easy purchase, even threw in some batteries. The battery life of a GBC is much better than my old one. Why did I do it? Felt the need for Tetris. Then, I had a look around town later on and found that Gameboy games are dirt cheap around here. Mind you, alot of them were games I wouldn't even bother with, but I found a few. As something to just kill time, it's an easy investment.

FalloutJack:
-snip-

Fair enough. Going from my own experiences trying to maintain a collection and how many games on the SNES Classic I'd actually want to play, 80 bucks would be a damn bargain to me. I might actually get it, even though I already have all the games I want on it, just so I don't have to worry about my nephew destroying my old SNES cartridges, since he loves playing these old games whenever I look after him.

Different people have different requirements, definitely. If you don't want most of the games on it and you can get the games you do want for cheaper then yeah I agree you'd be better off finding older cartridges. I've never been to a convention, but if they really sell old games as cheaply as you're saying it might be worth the expedition into civilization.

Kajin:

FalloutJack:
-snip-

Fair enough. Going from my own experiences trying to maintain a collection and how many games on the SNES Classic I'd actually want to play, 80 bucks would be a damn bargain to me. I might actually get it, even though I already have all the games I want on it, just so I don't have to worry about my nephew destroying my old SNES cartridges, since he loves playing these old games whenever I look after him.

Different people have different requirements, definitely. If you don't want most of the games on it and you can get the games you do want for cheaper then yeah I agree you'd be better off finding older cartridges. I've never been to a convention, but if they really sell old games as cheaply as you're saying it might be worth the expedition into civilization.

Oh, uhhh...make no mistake. The one convention with the cheap-ass Gameboys was a stroke of luck. It was a convention that had a retro vibe to it. You will find that pricing is potluck in such places, sometimes. I'm mainly emphasizing the stores that secure old stuff and sell regularly, day-to-day.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here