iPod Explodes, Melts Kid's Underwear

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

iPod Explodes, Melts Kid's Underwear

An Ohio mother is suing Apple for gross negligence after her son's iPod Touch exploded in his pocket, setting his pants on fire and melting through his underwear, leading to second-degree burns and severe emotional trauma.

iPod Touch owners, be sure you've got a fire extinguisher handy at all times when you've got your hardware in your pocket. You never know when it might explode. A boy in Cincinnati, Ohio, learned that the hard way recently, when his iPod suddenly blew up in his pocket. According to the complaint his mom filed, upon feeling a burning sensation, the poor kid "immediately ran to the bathroom and took off his burning pants with the assistance of a friend," whereupon he found that the fire had spread and burned through his pocket and "melted through his nylon/spandex underwear, burning his leg."

Immediately afterward, the kid was taken to the doctor, where his burns were classified as second degree.

"He continues to suffer from both physical and mental conditions which will cause him to suffer pain, mental distress, emotional distress, and otherwise for the rest of his life," the lawsuit reads. Normally I would scoff at these kinds of claims, but you gotta figure the next day at school all the other kids were calling him all sorts of horrible stuff. And what of the friend who had to take his pants off? There's gotta be some psychological fallout there - that friendship's never going to be the same.

The mom is suing Apple and the employees of the Apple Store where they bought the iPod for gross negligence and recklessness, claiming that they should have warned them about the possibility of the iPod exploding and melting underwear. They're asking for at least $75,000 in compensation plus another 75 grand for punitive damages and fees.

[Via Ars Technica]

I want to laugh, but I'm really not sure if I should.

The kid was wearing spandex?

Also, why should the Apple store be suffering for this! They didn't make the product.

Still, slightly amusing, and no harm done. Besides, a scar like that could have a cool story behind it - though it seems to me that 75 grand is a bit steep.

Is... Is this funny? I'm not sure.

I want to laugh because it's another hilarious lawsuit.

But kid got scarrrrr'd.

"He continues to suffer from both physical and mental conditions which will cause him to suffer pain..."

Kid: AH MA GOD EXPLODING IPOD'S TOUCH CRAWLING OVER THE WALLS!! MOM!!! HEEEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPPP!!!!

I know its not fun to laugh...:(

... took off his burning pants with the assistance of a friend

[/insert gay joke]

What's with all the exploding Ipods, cellphones and everything? Meh, at least it's amusing.

The mother is being rather melodramatic, but at least this lawsuit is justified. It's a nice break from the related stupid and ridiculous suits that occur every other day.

Mental trauma that will stay for the rest of his life?

Again my theory of kids being pussies nowadays continues, back in the day that would have made for an awesome playground story.

Good thing that wasn't a Nokia N-gage, that beast would have ripped half his leg off

How does an iPod Touch explode?

Brotherofwill:

Again my theory of kids being pussies nowadays continues, back in the day that would have made for an awesome playground story.

Good thing that wasn't a Nokia N-gage, that beast would have ripped half his leg off

Dude. Seriously. If this would happen to you, wouldn't YOU want to get free shit from the company when they are getting sued? Just mental trauma would probably give you a few thousand, or a few hundred thousand bucks.

And you could act like it just to keep up the lie sometimes =P
I bet their lawyer advised it. Hell, I'd do it if that happened to me, free money is free.

LOL, was in a pool or something???

Kogarian:
How does an iPod Touch explode?

I blame terrorists! haha.

... I have no idea. Maybe it just overheated or something. I doubt it can actually "explode", it's highly unlikely that it contains any or a sufficient amount of highly volatile materials.

... I hope. OR WE'RE ALL DOOMED!

"they should have warned them about the possibility of the iPod exploding and melting underwear", wow k, thats pretty specific, I guess they could sell a short books worth of "possible" occurances. Like for example, "do not eat your iPod, doing so may cause choking".

Gormourn:

Brotherofwill:

Dude. Seriously. If this would happen to you, wouldn't YOU want to get free shit from the company when they are getting sued? Just mental trauma would probably give you a few thousand, or a few hundred thousand bucks.

And you could act like it just to keep up the lie sometimes =P
I bet their lawyer advised it. Hell, I'd do it if that happened to me, free money is free.

Well, this is the closest the little bummer could ever be to getting an awesome pirate peg leg, so he should have atleast honoured the moment.

Stephen Colbert was right!

He was talking about the iphone, but I think this is close enough...

If other places where burned that may be the true trauma.

Keane Ng:

iPod Touch owners, be sure you've got a fire extinguisher handy at all times when you've got your hardware in your pocket. You never know when it might explode.

Yes I do. Never. I own an iPod Touch, and I am more than confident that it will not explode at random in my pocket. This kid was doing something weird with it; mabybe it was an app, maybe he got it hot, maybe he did something to the hardrive.
Did you know that if you leave a PSP in the sun for too long, it will explode like a hand grenade? Same thing happened here. This kid found the thing that will make an iPod Touch explode. By accident, I'm sure, but he did.

I just know.

Go ahead and laugh, just not to the kid's face.

Oh dear, I was planning to get one soon as well as a new PSP. Well, guess I'll stick with the PSP as the mp3 player for a while.

Keane Ng:

The mom is suing Apple and the employees of the Apple Store where they bought the iPod for gross negligence and recklessness, claiming that they should have warned them about the possibility of the iPod exploding and melting underwear. They're asking for at least $75,000 in compensation plus another 75 grand for punitive damages and fees.

Apple, yeah, I can understand that. But the Apple store employees?! Unless Apple main knew about the problem and informed them, and then trained them to make sure they knew, that one will be hard to make stick.

Citrus Insanity:
The mother is being rather melodramatic, but at least this lawsuit is justified. It's a nice break from the related stupid and ridiculous suits that occur every other day.

Indeed. Although I don't think she's been melodramatic - after all, the mobile phone set fire to her son! Its not like he strapped himself and she's reacting like this. He could easily have been killed. And to that, the kid's probably not going to trust technology again, or at least, not easily. And in this modern world, thats a big handy cap.

Keane Ng:

[b]An Ohio mother... [snip]

One of my BIG bugbears this, suing the staff of the store?

People, when done wrong by a company, quit finding the first guy on the store floor and blaming him, for one , it wasn't his fault, and for two, there's WAY more cash and satisfaction to be had aiming higher.

When I was working in a store, it just got on my tits, the whole 'this is broken, how dare you deliberately sell me broken stuff' thing. We didn't , you just got unlucky, if you want to sue go ahead, but leave the little guy out of it. 75,000 is unnoticable to Apple, but it's lifebreaking to regular joe who just wants to do his job and take home a pretty average check each month. I guess I just don't trust judges to make a sensible decision is all.

Doug:

Indeed. Although I don't think she's been melodramatic - after all, the mobile phone set fire to her son! Its not like he strapped himself and she's reacting like this. He could easily have been killed. And to that, the kid's probably not going to trust technology again, or at least, not easily. And in this modern world, thats a big handy cap.

True, but unless it can be proved to be Apples fault, it really should just be chalked up as an unfortuante accident. I mean, really, this whole "Sue every time anything happens to me" attitude has got to stop.

And to that, the kid's probably not going to trust technology again, or at least, not easily. And in this modern world, thats a big handy cap.

Than this kid is an idiot. I'm 13 and would never stop trusting technolagy because one appliance blew up. Don't say "you wouldn't be this logical if it happened to you" I had cancer and still think it's retarded to avoid everything someone says may cause cancer and am pretty sure I wouldn't avoid whatever caused my cancer if I knew what it was.

Either this kid is so sensitive I don't think he should be sueing for mental trauma period (it's like a mentally unstable person sueing you because your dog gave him suicidal thoughts and than the dog bit him. Sure he could sue for the dog biting him but having you accomadate for this person's mental unstability is ridiculous) or he's not traumatized.

I'm fine with everything but the claims of mental trauma and sueing the wrong people. they should be sueing apple not that one store.

Man, I can sort of understand how he could be scarred, both literally and otherwise. I mean, something exploded next to his manly bits. Not cool.

Nimbus:

Doug:

True, but unless it can be proved to be Apples fault, it really should just be chalked up as an unfortuante accident. I mean, really, this whole "Sue every time anything happens to me" attitude has got to stop.

Well, Apple sold it was a product that was safe to use. I'm not sure what American law is like, but over here, there is the basic 'Fit for purpose' law - so, under that, unless the kid was tinkering around with the insides of it before it exploded, it is there fault for releasing a dangerous faulty product.

And again, it set fire to her son - its not like the case of "A bee stung me on your property, I shall SUE!"

SomeBritishDude:
I want to laugh, but I'm really not sure if I should.

I know >.<

Gormourn:
... took off his burning pants with the assistance of a friend

[/insert gay joke]

What's with all the exploding Ipods, cellphones and everything? Meh, at least it's amusing.

If you didn't catch the update, the "cellphone" was actually a home-made gun.

I laughed out loud.. really hard upon reading this. Maybe it's 'cause I'm a bit drunk right now but I'm pretty sure it's still funny

Ago Iterum:
Is... Is this funny? I'm not sure.

I want to laugh because it's another hilarious lawsuit.

But kid got scarrrrr'd.

I laughed if it makes you feel better.
And for once I can understand a lawsuit if a company sells you something that explodes, possibly rendering you incapable of "doing it" ever again. Maybe not for the money they are asking for but the kid does deserve some kind of compensation...

Maybe another iPod touch lol.

MaxTheReaper:
Man, I can sort of understand how he could be scarred, both literally and otherwise. I mean, something exploded next to his manly bits. Not cool.

Doesn't sound bad enough for mental trauma to me.

Keane Ng:
And what of the friend who had to take his pants off? There's gotta be some psychological fallout there - that friendship's never going to be the same.

I doubt that their friendship will be anything but stronger because of it. That's the kind of inside story you talk about about over beers when you're 40.

Still, Apple should be liable for any medical costs, including any cosmetic surgery that might be needed to get rid of any burn marks that may be present, and they should refund 100% of the cost of the phone, as well as the cost of the plan they were on. I also think they should have to pay for a brand new phone plan the family decided to get, regardless of the provider.

I'm skeptical about the whole punitive damages for psychological disorders part, however. How old is this kid? If he has an iPhone, I'm guessing older than 16. I know if my phone exploded in my pocket, and I was around that age, I'd be fucking pissed, but I wouldn't be flinching at the sight of a touch-screen phone. Maybe if he was 15 or under. Maybe. But then, what parent would get a kid that young a phone like that anyway?

Even then, wouldn't him developing an aversion to Apple products be a good thing? ;P

And what's this crap about suing the employees? When the employee is on the clock, they represent the company, and unless they put C4 in the kid's phone, I don't see how they're liable. Especially if they weren't informed or instructed to warn of a possible threat of burns. Though she's probably using the common tactic of naming everyone possible as defendants before the investigation, and seeing what sticks.

Yeah, he tells that to his mum to continue to hiding in the closet.

While we're at it, why doesn't the mother just blame the person who bought the iPod for the boy in the first place?

Only suing for 150k? Wow thats not too bad. Most people would go for millions.

JRCB:
While we're at it, why doesn't the mother just blame the person who bought the iPod for the boy in the first place.

I doubt anyone would have predicted that a mobile phone would literally set fire to clothing given thats a pretty serious lapse of health and safety for a commerical product.

Although I agree with you about the store - thats just daft.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here