Did you find this helpful?
Yes
48.8% (1202)
48.8% (1202)
No
3.7% (92)
3.7% (92)
Never put up irrelevant options, it's stupid and means that you won't get the results you created the poll for.
45.5% (1122)
45.5% (1122)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
The Banhammer and You: A User's Guide to the Forums

Pages PREV 1 . . . 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 . . . 24 NEXT

swashbucler1:
Max got banned :'(

So he has. He had quite the hissy fit.

I've been wondering why I haven't seen him around the forums recently, when he's usually in every other thread. Thanks for the tip.

Diagonal Horizontality:

Firia:
I reported his original post every time he replied to me. Apperently, this is either not a violation of forum etiquette, or mods don't care. :( I know I was offended reading his post, and string of replies. The impact on the guy that he was originally replying to was probably tremendously negative.

Thoughts?

It takes two separate users pressing the report button for a post to appear on the moderation queue, so it's quite possible that no one else reported and the moderators didn't see it. That said, this really isn't the best place to discuss user specific moderation and your questions would be better asked via PM to one of the Red Guards.

But it is a good point that he's made. The report button is your friend, people.

Justice is but a click away. It takes two to go through, so it requires more than one good samariton to unleash GREAT JUSTICE across the Escapist.

Ultrajoe:

Firia:

I reported his original post every time he replied to me. Apperently, this is either not a violation of forum etiquette, or mods don't care. :( I know I was offended reading his post, and string of replies. The impact on the guy that he was originally replying to was probably tremendously negative.

While this isn't the place to discuss individual cases of Moderation, your report was indeed seen and the user was given a strongly worded warning. These are not visible to other users but go on an offenders ban history and can influence future moderation. This was probably chosen because of the users low post count, allowing for the chance he had not read the rules or understood what kind of place this community strives to be.

In many cases of items going 'ignored', it was probably a case of a warning being used.

I send myself warnings to remind myself to go grocery shopping. Handy, eh?

That does make me feel better about things. :)

SadisticDarkling:
Portal Maniac; Oh man, 10,000 posts?
Is their an ultimate badge of ultimatness for that haha :D

10,000 isn't much. Check out Neonbob

OT: Some of the more well known users are gradually getting banned, kinda scary!

LordCuthberton:
Some of the more well known users are gradually getting banned, kinda scary!

Meh, well-known users have always been getting banned. Eggo, Richard Groovy Pants, Darth Mobius, Indigo_Dingo and TheNecroswanson are all good examples of this. This is nothing new to the forums, and I stopped being shocked at bannings months ago because of it.

Besides, as scary as it may seem, it does make sense that the well-established users get banned eventually if they break the rules, regardless of popularity. We just notice their bans and are shocked more by them because they're well-established members of the community, so having them disappear does seem shocking. That's one of the things I like about the moderators on this site in comparison with other forums I know of, though; they're just as leniant with the well-known users as they are with the not so well-known.

Ultrajoe:

That's a really nifty idea. If Hell freezes over and I become a moderator, I may need to try that trick out to remind me to do College work.

EDIT: And thus, I glance across the frozen wasteland that I used to recognise as Hell, and I wonder to myself: Was it worth it? The cost of Hell freezing over just for me to become a moderator was a high one, but alas, one we must live with. For now, at least.

Zombie_Fish:

LordCuthberton:
Some of the more well known users are gradually getting banned, kinda scary!

Meh, well-known users have always been getting banned. Eggo, Richard Groovy Pants, Darth Mobius, Indigo_Dingo and TheNecroswanson are all good examples of this. This is nothing new to the forums, and I stopped being shocked at bannings months ago because of it.

Besides, as scary as it may seem, it does make sense that the well-established users get banned eventually if they break the rules, regardless of popularity. We just notice their bans and are shocked more by them because they're well-established members of the community, so having them disappear does seem shocking. That's one of the things I like about the moderators on this site in comparison with other forums I know of, though; they're just as leniant with the well-known users as they are with the not so well-known.

Ultrajoe:

That's a really nifty idea. If Hell freezes over and I become a moderator, I may need to try that trick out to remind me to do College work.

Send yourself a second class letter before the due date. Then marvel in you're great idea. Or ask someone to send you a reminder/text. Then, if they forget, kill them.

very helpful thx :)
I only have one question however:
If I have a youtube-channel and i want to ask the community to make a nice banner for my channel. (I also post a link too mu channel) Will that count as a advert threat?

sebar nl:
very helpful thx :)
I only have one question however:
If I have a youtube-channel and i want to ask the community to make a nice banner for my channel. (I also post a link too mu channel) Will that count as a advert threat?

It won't, but you may draw the ire of a few members. I think the best way to do that would be posting a request either in this thread, or this group. That way you'll reach the people you want to without the hassle of a moderation grey area.

Um, sorry if this has already been asked, but I couldn't find a way to search a specific topic. Anywho, it mentions in Tier 2 that people can be banned or suspended for creating multiple accounts to circumvent a different ban or suspension. That got me wondering: If they keep doing it, how do you get them to stop for good? Wouldn't someone banned simply create another account until you track it down as well? Or do you just simply implement an IP ban?

videocrazy:
Um, sorry if this has already been asked, but I couldn't find a way to search a specific topic.

In the top right side of this page (but before the poll) You'll see
" Messages (0) My Profile/Settings Search Forums "

It should be just above the top post on this page. Hope I helped.

videocrazy:
Or do you just simply implement an IP ban?

If someone (EDIT:) gets banned, the mods will ban the user's IP address as well as the user. This isn't entirely foolproof obviously (proxies etc.), but it does help prevent a lot of banned users from coming back via a second account.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.164475 locked image thread.

It's been said before that the majority of threads are drive-by-opinion/poll type threads- and they are. How are image driven threads less meaningful? I could understand if this forum focused mainly on discussions- but it doesn't. There aren't many real discussions taking place- so what's the harm in an image thread?

Truly helpfull, thanks for posting ^^

I still think we need some sort of addendum for misleading thread titles. There was a thread in gaming discussion that was titled something like "I dumped my girlfriend for video games", and the first words in the OP were along the lines of "No, I didn't really, but..."

It's a cheap and annoying tactic to garner views in a thread, and I don't think it is necessary.

chronobreak:
I still think we need some sort of addendum for misleading thread titles. There was a thread in gaming discussion that was titled something like "I dumped my girlfriend for video games", and the first words in the OP were along the lines of "No, I didn't really, but..."

It's a cheap and annoying tactic to garner views in a thread, and I don't think it is necessary.

Your suggestion was duly noted, I'm just lazy...

Anyway: 15/1/10: Added long overdue note on Misleading Thread Titles in the Locked/Deleted Threads subtopic. Thanks to Chronobreak for pointing it out.

Lord Krunk:
Your suggestion was duly noted, I'm just lazy...

Anyway: 15/1/10: Added long overdue note on Misleading Thread Titles in the Locked/Deleted Threads subtopic. Thanks to Chronobreak for pointing it out.

Thou art verily a Lord of the art of Krunk.

I quite enjoyed that the ban example stemmed from a Transformers 2 debate.

Somehow, that seems appropriate.

i hope i don't get baned i like posting

Thanks for the tip. I'll try to stay within the rules.

Flickering Star:
Thanks for the tip. I'll try to stay within the rules.

Dr.Hax:

Dr.Hax:

Welcome to the forums. And for you, all

.......*falls out of chair laughing ass off*

Helpful, filed under common sense.

Good job Lord Krunk, closest thing I got to moderator wrath I got was a locked thread, I don't know why it got locked, but by looking in the list, I think it would go under Controversial. Is that right?

Lord Krunk:
Snip for attention.

Just to let you know, Varchld has been made the new member of the Red Guard/ 'IRC king and overlord'.

Zombie_Fish:

Lord Krunk:
Snip for attention.

Just to let you know, Varchld has been made the new member of the Red Guard/ 'IRC king and overlord'.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll put it in once I've finished a subtopic about Plagairism, after seeing this little gem.

It's quite surprising, considering the amount of reviews he's done/been congratulated for, and how many people on this forum are really internet-savvy, I would have thought he'd be nabbed sooner.

Anyway, a lesson for anyone trying to pass off other peoples' stuff as your own;

1) Shame on you.
2) Don't do it.

So, I saw something quite strange.
A user has been banned, but it doesn't give a reason under any of his posts.

No "This user was banned for:"
It's just not there.
Any ideas?

Berethond:

It's just not there.
Any ideas?

Usually that happens if the thread is gone for good.

Aura Guardian:

Berethond:

It's just not there.
Any ideas?

Does it?
I thought it just kept the link, but the link just 404'd.

Berethond:

Aura Guardian:

Berethond:

It's just not there.
Any ideas?

Does it?
I thought it just kept the link, but the link just 404'd.

When a thread is long gone(from what I noticed), the link is gone too.

Simalacrum:
its the Escapists edition of the Wasteland survival guide! :D

oh by the way, one thing i've noticed is that people who put the first posts on Yahtzee's video - related threads (the official "thread to go with the video" stuff) tend to be on probabtion or suspended... yet when I check why they've been put on probabtion/suspension (maybe even ban?), a lot of the time the posts are completely innocent... they just happen to be some of the first posts on a yahtzee-video thread.

does anyone know why this is? just a curiosity

I'm afraid to say that it's people that have become aggravated that they couldn't be in the first five or ten to post on his video, and therefore try to get the others that DID post in the 5 or 10 to get banned, sometimes using false evidence I have heard.

Berethond:
A user has been banned, but it doesn't give a reason under any of his posts

I know why, I was talking to this person before it happened
-sigh-
Suspension jumping. NuclearPenguin got bored and tried making a secondary account while suspended, which is rule for banning it would seem.

TheNumber1Zero:

Berethond:
A user has been banned, but it doesn't give a reason under any of his posts

-sigh-
Suspension jumping. NuclearPenguin got bored and tried making a secondary account while suspended, which is rule for banning it would seem.

It is.
But I have just been informed that his banning has been downgraded to a two-weeker.
(You probably already know...)

TheNumber1Zero:
-sigh-

I don't think it was "bored", as much as "sad/depressed/lonely".

It turns out he was (maybe is?) going through alot of shit right now, and wanted to be with some of his friends during it.

IdealistCommi:

TheNumber1Zero:
-sigh-

I don't think it was "bored", as much as "sad/depressed/lonely".

It turns out he was (maybe is?) going through alot of shit right now, and wanted to be with some of his friends during it.

I know that much, he told me about it, good news is that he got revived. I'm actually listening to him talk to namless now.

TheNumber1Zero:
I know that much, he told me about it, good news is that he got revived. I'm actually listening to him talk to namless now.

Good, good. Just when you said "bored" I thought you were under false information.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 . . . 24 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here