Did you find this helpful?
Yes
48.8% (1202)
48.8% (1202)
No
3.7% (91)
3.7% (91)
Never put up irrelevant options, it's stupid and means that you won't get the results you created the poll for.
45.6% (1123)
45.6% (1123)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
The Banhammer and You: A User's Guide to the Forums

Pages PREV 1 . . . 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 NEXT

DigitalSushi:
edit: oh and like Gilhelmi stated, while being a Mod seems glamorous, I assure you it is not.

Really, it sounds like very glamorous work to me but even if it's not it's hard work that we are glad you guys do.

staika:

DigitalSushi:
edit: oh and like Gilhelmi stated, while being a Mod seems glamorous, I assure you it is not.

Really, it sounds like very glamorous work to me but even if it's not it's hard work that we are glad you guys do.

Does being a mod have it's benefits? Yes and we thank the staff for those benefits very much.

Is it lots of work, very tiresome and stressful to do nonetheless? Hell yeah, it's why me and at least two other mods quit to put more time towards our studying.

Zombie_Fish:

staika:

DigitalSushi:

Does being a mod have it's benefits? Yes and we thank the staff for those benefits very much.

Is it lots of work, very tiresome and stressful to do nonetheless? Hell yeah, it's why me and at least two other mods quit to put more time towards our studying.

You couldn't hack it, you quitter!
Not that I'm bitter all my Mods in Arm that were asked at the same time as me have all quit or anything.

Only messing peeps, I have huge respect for Zombie_Fish (for he wields a rocket propelled chainsaw), but he is right in that you should prioritise your education over wanting to become a moderator.

I actually think people who want to be mods make bad mods, why do you want that position? for power? recognition? no no no, that isn't what a moderator is (the clue is in the name), you should help, not hinder.

You are not here for yourself, you are here for others because its a community, whether your a moderator or not, help out other users and make their time here and your time here more fun, because if it was just you... then there wouldn't be a community.

This is helpful for me considering this is my first post!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/528.353344-Stop-Kony-2012-good-cause-but-Im-not-sold-on-the-charity#14022256

Does this strike anyone else as very, very odd? We've got 5 people who registered today or yesterday, and whose only posts are on the same thread, and who all have very similar names. Might wanna check this out.

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but I can't find an answer anywhere. I just registered today and wanted to post a thread (something friendly, I promise) but it keeps preventing me claiming a "Captcha error" even though there is no Captcha window. Is this a probationary period or something to discourage trolls and spammers? Or am I just one of the unlucky ones for whom the forum decides to get all screwy for whatever reason? It's really nothing more than an inconvenience, I just want to know if there's a simple explanation that I just overlooked by mistake.

DrVornoff:
I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but I can't find an answer anywhere. I just registered today and wanted to post a thread (something friendly, I promise) but it keeps preventing me claiming a "Captcha error" even though there is no Captcha window. Is this a probationary period or something to discourage trolls and spammers? Or am I just one of the unlucky ones for whom the forum decides to get all screwy for whatever reason? It's really nothing more than an inconvenience, I just want to know if there's a simple explanation that I just overlooked by mistake.

The Tech Team recently fixed an issue we were having for a day or so (don't quote me on the time frame), hopefully you should be able to create your thread now.

Their is no probationary period.

I've been visiting the Escapist for years, watching videos, reading articles, and being tantalized by the forum topics listed on the home page. Finally, having joined for the smart gaming discussions I see here, I read the Forum Guide, then found the OP's thread, and I knew I was right about being someplace smart.

Kudos to the Escapist for the best written, most clearly delineated set of forum rules and procedures I've yet seen, as well as to Lord Krunk for his equally well written guidance and exposition here.

I look ever more forward to my time here.

Hey Evryone

this was/is a very helpful thread, it explained a few things in detail that some other forums i frequent, have not done, and no i'm not going to namedrop

Its pretty hilarious how the first guy to comment even after reading the op is now banned.
Thanks anyway I found this pretty helpful.

Great thread.

Stagnant:
Yeah, am I the only person who is a more than a little pissed off that essentially direct threats of violence (lethal violence, at that) towards another user got off scot-free, but calling a public figure who said something actually treasonous a "pig-fucker" got someone a suspension? Because that? That's bullshit. Who do I ask about this? -.-

In case it's not obvious, I'm kinda pissed.

Brett Dumain basically said "Yeah, get my gun, if you talk like that around me, I will shoot you". He's not only neither suspended nor banned, I don't even think he got a warning from the post where he said this. Vornoff called a public figure who advocated open treason a "pig-fucker" and got suspended for it. Is calling Hitler a "pig-fucker" no longer okay? Should I shy away from referring to Stalin as a "gigantic douchefag"? But no, threats of violence (which, for the record, I could probably charge him for), they're just fine!

What the fuck, guys?

Stagnant:

Stagnant:
Yeah, am I the only person who is a more than a little pissed off that essentially direct threats of violence (lethal violence, at that) towards another user got off scot-free, but calling a public figure who said something actually treasonous a "pig-fucker" got someone a suspension? Because that? That's bullshit. Who do I ask about this? -.-

In case it's not obvious, I'm kinda pissed.

Brett Dumain basically said "Yeah, get my gun, if you talk like that around me, I will shoot you". He's not only neither suspended nor banned, I don't even think he got a warning from the post where he said this. Vornoff called a public figure who advocated open treason a "pig-fucker" and got suspended for it. Is calling Hitler a "pig-fucker" no longer okay? Should I shy away from referring to Stalin as a "gigantic douchefag"? But no, threats of violence (which, for the record, I could probably charge him for), they're just fine!

What the fuck, guys?

Was the violent threat reported? They can't moderate something they aren't aware of. The mods can't read every post to see if it matches the standards for the board.

Some constructive criticism: I think the way some otherwise decent posters are banned after losing it in a discussion is rather unfair. Just today, Woodsey got banned over a heated argument. You can't expect members to be saints and not make mistakes sometimes. Isn't there supposed to be some sort of amnesty after a certain period? It's not as if this guy was an agitator looking to cause trouble. I'm not saying veterans should be exempt from the rules - of course not - but I think people get banned all too often for what equates to a slip of the tongue. It's not so much a problem with the rules - I think they're pretty fair - so much as with the way they're enforced.

MammothBlade:
Snoopy snip

I'd say it's rather hard for a tongue to slip if you have the opportunity to check said tongue before posting it on the forums. That said, a bit of leeway is important. Too strict moderation leads to Redditism, and too lazy moderation invokes 4chan Syndrome. I presume us to be a bit on the stricter side, but not dangerously so.

Stupid question but are sockpuppet accounts allowed for roleplay (in the RP subforum obviously)?

If I may, a quick word on the quote button.

Having it at the top of the postbit is a terrible idea. It means that, if you want to quote a post you just read, you have to scroll back up to the beginning of the post. This is annoying, especially in R&P, where posts can be quite long. A "top of post" button at the bottom of the postbit somewhere, or just moving the quote button back to where it used to be before the redesign, would be a serious usability increase. ^^

Excuse me, but I was recently issued two warnings for the same post. Not only that, but the post was a joke.

I did not know that "jokes" were not allowed, and that I would be doubly punished for making one. I would request that the guide be changed to reflect this, so that other users will not fall into such an insidious trap.

So, I mean, not that I'm a duplicate user or anything. No, totally new. I don't resemble another user at this site at all and any similarities are completely coincidental.

But what is the policy on duplicate accounts? It would be an easy way to escape warnings so I'm sure it's a bannable offense or something. Oh wait, I just now see someone posting about "sockpuppet" accounts, so I'm not the only one talking about this.

What do you do however, if you know your username, but forgot both your password and email? It appears you cannot recover your password if you forgot your email. Is it okay then to make a duplicate account?

EstrogenicMuscle:
But what is the policy on duplicate accounts? It would be an easy way to escape warnings so I'm sure it's a bannable offense or something. Oh wait, I just now see someone posting about "sockpuppet" accounts, so I'm not the only one talking about this.

What do you do however, if you know your username, but forgot both your password and email? It appears you cannot recover your password if you forgot your email. Is it okay then to make a duplicate account?

Duplicate accounts are fine given the right circumstances. As long as you aren't using them to get around suspensions/ bans or to cheat in competitions (such as using a duplicate account to enter competitions multiple times) then they are usually okay.

As an example of this, I have a second account for testing the conditions to get certain badges. I never post on the forums with it, I never enter any official competitions with it and have never even used it on any quizzes, I have only ever used it for testing certain badges (mainly content badges and The Red Button). In that case, the second account was fine and was given the thumbs up from the community manager.

As for having forgotten your password and email address, duplicate accounts isn't the only option. There are other ways of contacting the staff, namely through the contact form, which you can use to help the staff try and recover your account.

Out of curiosity is there any way to get rid of a warning? Does it go away in X amount of time?

I've had one for a few months now for posting "Borderlands 2" in response to the thread "What was the last game you pre-ordered?" and after I was told repeatedly that my post was bad, and that I should feel bad about my complete error in judgement for making said "garbage" post I am left with a warning and I can't even edit the post to not make it "garbage."

Mostly I am just left in awe that after all my years here, I incurred mod wrath by posting ON TOPIC and then not even allowed to add "because I really liked Borderlands 1 and can't wait to play the sequel" which would have satisfied them apparently.

The attitude I received when I submitted my "wtf" ticket was also unwarranted. I wasn't flaming, I didn't yell "FIRST" etc. I was completely on topic, yet I was told essentially "strike one, next time gets you permabanned"

Maybe I'm blind and didn't see it after rereading the first post here, but any help other than "deal with it" would be appreciated. <(^_^<)

Thanks! I just posted in the what's your S.P.E.C.I.A.L. thread in off topic, and honestly I'm tired of wondering whether or not posting in those kinds of threads will result in a similar warning lol.

i.e. threads that aren't actually discussion threads so much as..I guess "fun" threads. Because posting what I had preordered in a "preorder curiosity" thread got a warning that takes 6 months to absolve, I can only wonder what posting in that thread might do ._.

Mostly kidding...

KoudelkaMorgan:

The attitude I received when I submitted my "wtf" ticket was also unwarranted. I wasn't flaming, I didn't yell "FIRST" etc. I was completely on topic, yet I was told essentially "strike one, next time gets you permabanned"

Maybe I'm blind and didn't see it after rereading the first post here, but any help other than "deal with it" would be appreciated. <(^_^<)

Did you really get a message saying your next strike would be a perma-ban? That's definitely not true at any rate. :/

In regards to your warning (Yes I went and checked. =P) That does fall under Low Content, so it's just bad luck that you didn't have time to go change it before a Mod saw.

Like Topaz said, it should disappear within 6 months.

I find it incredibly funny that there have been Spambots on this post.

As long as words like 'Pony' and 'republican' aren't censored (Yes, some cites actually do that), I got no complaints.

And here's a third line of text so it's not low content.

And I baked a 4th line just for you. Yes, you. ;)

I have a quick question. I was planning on sometime soon posting a thread, but I'm not sure now whether or not it would count as advertisement. The thread would be posted in the game discussion forum of the kickstarter(that hasn't started yet) for Unforgotten Quest, a game made by the same guy that did Unforgotten Realms on here a few years back. The journalists for this site basically did the same thing with the kickstarters for the Oculus Rift and Ouya, so that's what makes me think it wouldn't be too bad if I made a thread as such, since it wouldn't necessarily be off topic in a gaming forum, and would just be to support an Indie Developer. Though, I still wanted to run it by the mods first to see if I would be allowed to do as such, or if it would be breaking the rules.

Hey sky, I have a question. My friend Shadowstar38 seems to have been perma-banned and I was just wondering why as there doesn't seem to be a link to him breaking the rules. I'm not pleading anything but I'm just curious if you have any idea why he got banned. Thanks.

Yokillernick:
Hey sky, I have a question. My friend Shadowstar38 seems to have been perma-banned and I was just wondering why as there doesn't seem to be a link to him breaking the rules. I'm not pleading anything but I'm just curious if you have any idea why he got banned. Thanks.

He created an alternate account, while under a suspension, whose intent it was to troll the forums.

The alternate and original are therefore both banned.

Marter:

Yokillernick:

He created an alternate account, while under a suspension, whose intent it was to troll the forums.

The alternate and original are therefore both banned.

Well, well. Still thanks for checking it just seemed really weird. And now I wait for his RPs to die down before I 'commandeer' them *insert evil laugh*. Thank you again.

I'm not sure where to post this without seeming silly but there're a couple of badges I seem to be lacking despite meeting the requirements... the Chatty badge for 100+ posts and all the forum-wandering badges... It's been quite some time now, so it's not like I'm being impatient about it, was just wondering what am I doing wrong or at least could somebody please direct me to the proper thread/forum?

Johnny Novgorod:
I'm not sure where to post this without seeming silly but there're a couple of badges I seem to be lacking despite meeting the requirements... the Chatty badge for 100+ posts and all the forum-wandering badges... It's been quite some time now, so it's not like I'm being impatient about it, was just wondering what am I doing wrong or at least could somebody please direct me to the proper thread/forum?

You can direct your question to the tech team

It seems to happen sometimes[1], you won't get badges for awhile, especially with ones you earn through forum actions :)

[1] I got the forum inferno badge while back I don't even know what thread it was for

Lucem712:

Johnny Novgorod:

You can direct your question to the tech team

It seems to happen sometimes[1], you won't get badges for awhile, especially with ones you earn through forum actions :)

Thanks! On with my much ado about nothing quest.

[1] I got the forum inferno badge while back I don't even know what thread it was for

Cactus Frankie:

Warning Details
Post: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/18.397620.16250003
Reason: Please do not insult moderators or Staff. If you don\'t like the site, leave.

Fuck you. I will relentlessly insult anyone who is a rape apologist or white knights a rape apologist. If you think your status as the moderator of an Internet forum (lol, what an accomplishment, your parents must be so proud) makes you part of some special class of people whose bullshit can't be called out, you are mistaken. You are also mistaken if you think these warnings are going to intimidate anyone older than 10.

Did you just make a racist/sexist remark or post something that may offend someone, even if it wasn't intended towards the rest of the community? Well, you might be in the running to receive one Grade A probation, courtesy of our friends the Mods!

But who moderates the moderators? Looks like they're free to be as offensive as they want to.

The staff moderate the moderators. If you have a problem with a moderation decision then that's what the appeal system is for.

From the code of conduct;

Have Respect for Others
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but no one is entitled to attack others for sharing, or not sharing, that opinion. If you can't communicate without using combative, aggressive, or demeaning language, then please keep those comments to yourself, or be shown the door.

If you don't like someone's opinion then that's fine. It doesn't give you the right to insult them because of it.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here