Did you find this helpful?
Yes
48.8% (1202)
48.8% (1202)
No
3.7% (92)
3.7% (92)
Never put up irrelevant options, it's stupid and means that you won't get the results you created the poll for.
45.5% (1122)
45.5% (1122)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
The Banhammer and You: A User's Guide to the Forums

Pages PREV 1 . . . 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 NEXT

madwarper:
I have a question about flagging posts for moderation.

Let's say, I come across a post that's a textbook example of a low-content post, so I flag it. The next day, that thread is still on the forum's front page, so I check to see if a warning had been issued and no visible action had been taken against the post. Seeing as how this is an obvious, clear-cut low-content post, I flag it again, check on it later and again nothing has happened. And, this continues, with the same result and now the post is a week old.

What exactly should be/have been my course of action?

PM a moderator with a link to the post and ask why nothing was done about it.

Assuming that length of time has passed, of course. Don't do that the next day or something.

BTW: Your report will only work once for each post. Any further reports by you would be ignored for that post.

Quick question... do warnings count as a form of mod wrath, and do they nullify getting the Matrix badges? Does the post count towards them reset after you get a warning, can you still get those badges?

TopazFusion:
Snip

Don't know if to suggest this here or not, but figured I might as well, since it's public and people can read it: We've been having a lot of people lately (at least three people in just as many weeks) think that it is a-okey to throw generalizing insults about people who believe in a political system, a specific religion, etc, because 'as long as they do not target anyone specific, they aren't breaking the rules'.
Obviously they have been warned. But I've re-read the CoC again, and even though 'Don't offend' 'Be respectful' and 'Don't be a dick' seems to cover this, maybe it should be more explicitly spelled out?

TopazFusion:

Johnny Novgorod:
Quick question... do warnings count as a form of mod wrath, and do they nullify getting the Matrix badges? Does the post count towards them reset after you get a warning, can you still get those badges?

Warnings don't count against you for getting those badges.

Only probation and suspensions disqualify you from getting them. (And it's a permanent disqualification, even if you get a completely clean healthbar again at a later date due to amnesty. If a previous probation or suspension exists on your record, the system won't issue you any more of those Matrix badges.)

Speaking of Neo badges, how do you know if you're eligible for one? Many people have congratulated me on getting one, but not only do I not have one, I don't think I'm eligible for one.

thesilentman:

TopazFusion:

Johnny Novgorod:

Only probation and suspensions disqualify you from getting them. (And it's a permanent disqualification, even if you get a completely clean healthbar again at a later date due to amnesty. If a previous probation or suspension exists on your record, the system won't issue you any more of those Matrix badges.)

Speaking of Neo badges, how do you know if you're eligible for one? Many people have congratulated me on getting one, but not only do I not have one, I don't think I'm eligible for one.

To obtain the Neo Badge I believe that a user has to be a member of the site for six months, have 5000 posts, and not receive a probation or suspension.

I don't know if this is an appropriate question to ask...but here goes:

Normally when somebody gets banned or suspended, on their posts it would say where the post that got them banned/suspended is located.

However there are some users that are banned/suspended that doesn't say anything at all.
It's nothing major. I am just really curious as to why that is.

Dragonbums:
I don't know if this is an appropriate question to ask...but here goes:

Normally when somebody gets banned or suspended, on their posts it would say where the post that got them banned/suspended is located.

However there are some users that are banned/suspended that doesn't say anything at all.
It's nothing major. I am just really curious as to why that is.

Sometimes it'll be because they're Banjumping using an alt account. Or they've been banned for sending harassing PMs to other users.

Sometimes it'll be because they're Banjumping using an alt account. Or they've been banned for sending harassing PMs to other users.

What Sky said.

If someone is suspended/banned for *a post*, it will have a link to that post.

However, it's quite possible for someone to be suspended/banned for something else (banjumping, usergroup mischief, PM harassment, etc), and in those cases there won't be a "User was banned for" link on their posts (for obvious reasons, since their suspension/ban is not tied to a specific post).

That makes sense now.

Thank you :)

Bat Vader:

thesilentman:

TopazFusion:

To obtain the Neo Badge I believe that a user has to be a member of the site for six months, have 5000 posts, and not receive a probation or suspension.

Are you sure? I've only ever had two warnings, yet I've never received that badge. Having never had a probation or suspension, being around for donkey's years and having nearly 9000 posts I'd have thought I'd be eligible by your measure.

TopazFusion:

TheRightToArmBears:
Are you sure? I've only ever had two warnings, yet I've never received that badge. Having never had a probation or suspension, being around for donkey's years and having nearly 9000 posts I'd have thought I'd be eligible by your measure.

That would be because a probation exists on your moderation history. It dates from 2009, loooong before the forum health meters were implemented.

Unfortunately, the badge system doesn't care how long ago it happened. - If a probation or suspension exists on your record (even if it no longer appears on your forum health meter), it won't issue you any of those 'good behavior' badges (unless you already have them, in which case you get to keep any badges you already have).

Huh, I remember it being a warning, I guess the system's different and things (and my memory is not to be trusted). Ah well, 'tis naught but a badge, I'm not too bothered about it.

TheRightToArmBears:

Huh, I remember it being a warning, I guess the system's different and things (and my memory is not to be trusted). Ah well, 'tis naught but a badge, I'm not too bothered about it.

You could PM Nasrin and ask her about it. The good behavior badges were created for a reason: They encourage decent behavior. If you're the victim of a quirk in the system while having never been a real baddie then you deserve your good behavior badges.

Or you could have been are really, really naughty poster back then... <_<

I updated the Mod list here and in the Mod FAQ again.

I really need to remember to do that more often...

sky14kemea:

I should say thank you for doing that over the years. Given that I haven't been around, I feel like I've been neglecting this thread.

Lord Krunk:

sky14kemea:

I should say thank you for doing that over the years. Given that I haven't been around, I feel like I've been neglecting this thread.

Don't worry about it. I consider it part of my job. =P

It's just nice to know that you're still around, really. :D

SimuLord:
I learned a long time ago (thankfully through others' rather than my own experience) that if someone makes a tasteless racist or sexist joke, it is perfectly OK to laugh at it, but to quote the post and let someone know you laughed at it? Verboten.

Like most of the Internet, the Escapist falls into the trap of politically correct bigotry---it is perfectly fine to rip Acceptable Targets, but go after a pet liberal cause (with a "kitchen/sammich" joke or anything that's racist toward any race other than white people) and you're up a creek.

It's not as bad as some sites (I once got a three-day suspension from GameFAQs for---I am not making this up---stating I planned to vote Republican), but it is still ultimately a tilted playing field that makes it a lot less shocking that sites like Conservapedia and Metapedia exist.

Hope this doesn't count as thread necro what cha ma call it but the thread is stickied sooo,
I'm gonna be completely honest. I don't see it a learning. I see it as ,"if your going to be kicked out you should choose what for." Ultimately someone some where is going to go a step to far, something will personally rub you the wrong way,
and being human ultimately it will be handled poorly.

So your real strength sir? Don't sell yourself cheaply. Don't let every little thing set you into orbit. (Why yes I am partially talking to myself).

I haven't really butted heads with posters here so much as content providers. It use to be Ben yahtzee, because a critic ultimately is suppose to be a device to be helpful.
He's not. Humorous, but not helpful. Not remotely helpful. I've made my peace to laugh and move on when i watch his videos.
I've been forced to have a sense of humor. Key word forced. But I concede ultimately it's for the best.
My current problem? Movie Bob.
I think I found it so easy to to let Ben stand as he is, Yahtzee is a black hat so to speak and he wears it proudly. It suits him, it's who he is.
Bob thinks he's a good guy. Seeing as how I'm now on probation for the next 6 months,I do not posses the means by which to respectfully disagree and I just have to lump it now. For 6 months.
So yeah I give myself 3 weeks before I'm suspended.

I was 1 of 3 posters who descented on his recent review, Which i found Elysuim personally offensive to me and my people to know Matt Daemon is suppose to save a future representation of the Mexican people. It bothered me to see "Bob" (omits any and all Adjectives I'd like to use for the next 6 months) gave this movie not only a positive review but talked about as if it was a must see.

I didn't handle it well. I don't apologize. I don't see in asking for a lift on the probation because I could see being right back in here 2-3 weeks tops.

Ultimately I really, really, really should just just stop watching..... but i'm kinda drawn back to it, like i'm drawn back to a half dozen other troll jobs around the net. "maybe it'll be different today? Maybe this week?" but it won't be. and like a chump i go back.

It's not some big giant convoluted troll scheme on my part.
I critic Jim Sterling on a regular basis, but i also think Jimme's the bee's knees. Yes he's terribly redundant, maybe that's his strength.

So why do i respect him over the first two? He hates the right stuff LOL. I can over look, nay, accept and embrace the big goofy basturd cause he's a giant cannon at most things wrong with gaming (I say this with the ought most respect).
when I watch bob's stuff he begs his fellow nerd to broaden their minds, widen their acceptance, and than he does a Boston stomp all over a bunch of things I enjoy.

A smarter poster would walk away. I'm not. For me I think it's sort of a bummer Bob's the lone voice on movies on the sight.
Ebert had siskel (Roper to me was a bright eyed groupie), there's no one to conflict with Bob. He is the escapist's voice on movies. I love movies. I routinely hit the escapist. Again not looking for a pass, not saying the mods are out of line for doing what they do,
Maybe I'm just acknowledging my impending fate. So when i do get suspended the person will go "welp that's a shame."
vs "One more troll."

Magog1:
snip

How exactly are we out of line? If you'd said that comment to a user on the forums you still would've been punished.

Yes, Bob is the only voice on movies here, and it's a shame that we can't have an opposing view side by side. You always have the option of not watching his videos, though.

sky14kemea:

Magog1:
snip

How exactly are we out of line? If you'd said that comment to a user on the forums you still would've been punished.

Yes, Bob is the only voice on movies here, and it's a shame that we can't have an opposing view side by side. You always have the option of not watching his videos, though.

...Im deeply confused by this post. I got done saying i don't think your out of line. I don't get what you meant by posting snip. And I suggested escapist possbly getting an oppoising view in that post. An official one. Someone they could hire. Thus the ebert and Sis. example.......

I'd like to thank what ever part of the moderating staff lifted my suspension. (Honestly didn't realize it till now cause i kept checking the pm box for a reply).

I feel in debited, after being so bummed to have found an ear with in the moderation staff. Thank you. Despite the suspension having not to do with Bob review's a symbol of gratitude I will be keeping my sorry ass the hell out of any forums on this sight about him. ^^.

And really thanks guys for hearing me, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.
I really did mean the million years dungeon post in good clean fun (After all it was over a double post, and I'm sure I've pulled that boney myself several times,in several places).

Now if you pardon me I have to go kiss Jim sterlings ass, I like today's show.

Magog1:
I'd like to thank what ever part of the moderating staff lifted my suspension. (Honestly didn't realize it till now cause i kept checking the pm box for a reply).

Just a heads up for the future (or for anyone reading this), but the appeal responses go to your email, not your Escapist inbox. Check that (and your spam folder).

Marter:

Magog1:

Just a heads up for the future (or for anyone reading this), but the appeal responses go to your email, not your Escapist inbox. Check that (and your spam folder).

Just double checked, no dice, the last thing from this sight was a pass word reset. But hay the matters resolved. God be willing I'm going to be doing doing my best to not need the appeals process.

Out of interest, how long do warnings take to scroll off our health bar? I seem to have accumulated three now, for very trivial offenses, and they're really pissing me off.

How much longer do I need to wait before they disappear?

TopazFusion:
It takes 6 consecutive months of good behavior, for 1 warning to be removed. In other words, 1 warning will will be removed, 6 months after you last got a warning.
If you get hit with another warning before the 6 months is up, it resets the 6 month timer, unfortunately.

Well, I'm sure you guys would know better than I, but it certainly seems like bloody ages ago.

Actually, having just checked my inbox, one was January 14th 2013 and the other March 5th 201313. So if I'm counting that correctly (six months from 05/03/13 = roughly 05/08/13?) I should have dropped one warning a week or two before receiving one today.

TopazFusion:
Also, it's worth mentioning, if you disagree with any warning you've been issued, you can dispute it using the appeals form...
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/contact/subject/forums

Be sure to include an email address, as appeal replies are sent to that email address, and NOT to your Escapist inbox.

I saw the link, considered it, decided it was pointless. Another user created an account with no avatar or badges, posted only in the one extremely flamebait-y thread they created around a pointless topic and threw in a few implied insults to other gamers, and it seems I and a few others got slapped with warnings for pointing out the obvious troll. A thread you yourself closed down for, presumably, being a blatant attempt to troll.

However, if the rule is "Thou Shalt Not Call A Troll A Troll Even When Patently Obvious", then I'm guilty of breaking it. I might not be entirely in agreement with the rule, but it is still the rule, so there's not a lot of point in appealing when I'm clearly in the wrong. It just irks me to have warnings on my account, since I generally try not to be an arsehole :-P

TopazFusion:
March to August is only 5 months, not 6. :(

Buggeration.

TopazFusion:
I'll admit it can be infuriating at times.
But calling another forum user a troll is against the rules, no matter how accurate you might actually be in the context. =/

So, and please note I'm not trying to rules-lawyer here, I'm just curious, why is it unacceptable to call a troll a troll but acceptable to point out when someone is being blatantly racist, sexist etc?

SonicWaffle:

TopazFusion:
March to August is only 5 months, not 6. :(

Buggeration.

TopazFusion:
I'll admit it can be infuriating at times.
But calling another forum user a troll is against the rules, no matter how accurate you might actually be in the context. =/

So, and please note I'm not trying to rules-lawyer here, I'm just curious, why is it unacceptable to call a troll a troll but acceptable to point out when someone is being blatantly racist, sexist etc?

Late to the party, but I only occasionally come back here to do housekeeping.

It's because of the logical fallacy. Before an argument can be dismissed, it should at least be addressed first - even if said argument is fallacious. Like TopazFusion said above, it's a common practice in online communities for arguments to be lazily deflected as trolling, and more often than not, it isn't.

If I'm watching an old ZP or Jimquisition-video, and find the subject so interesting that I want to reply to the thread that belongs to the video, does that count as necroing a really old thread that awards me a big fat warning/suspension/ban, depending on my current standing? Or does it depend on if I actually add something to the discussion?

Sometimes I feel really put off from posting on The Escapist. I see a lot of people getting bans or suspensions and I still don't get why the necroing rule is in place, I just don't see the down side to old threads being bumped up by someone who has something to add to the conversation. I'm ok with following rules but sometimes it's hard to tell when you can or can't post in a particular thread.

EDIT: That's it I'm fed up with this site and so I'm going to make a suggestion. if you guys don't want people posting in old threads. LOCK THEM. I'm a mod on The Light Castle Remix so trust me everyone else I know the certain powers that moderators have (I won't post them, I'm certain that's a rule too, is complaining about rules a rule? I'm certain it is, -100 points from Gyffrindor!)

SERIOUSLY. Just lock the threads. There is literally no point in keeping a thread open if you're going to pass out warnings to people for posting in them so either get rid of the rule or lock the threads. Otherwise it looks like you're just keeping them open to trick people and for clarity how long is too long? Seriously, I'm actually asking.

It's annoying since when I want to be talking with other people, I'm actually checking the time and date like Freddy Kruger's taken up a job as a meter maid.

So I can no longer post in user groups as it says I've been permanently forum banned. But the only thing I really post about is for updates for Escapism UK. I don't know if updating a thread every week or so counts or if ths is just an error. But as I need to post in the user group to organise and update people this seriously handicaps me.

I assume this is just an error, since I can post here. I've sent a message via the submission function, any chance this could be looked into. I thought I'd try posting here since it appears to be an error in how the system is recognising bans and behaviour.

funnydude6556:
EDIT: That's it I'm fed up with this site and so I'm going to make a suggestion. if you guys don't want people posting in old threads. LOCK THEM.

SERIOUSLY. Just lock the threads. There is literally no point in keeping a thread open if you're going to pass out warnings to people for posting in them so either get rid of the rule or lock the threads. Otherwise it looks like you're just keeping them open to trick people

Don't worry, you're not the first to make this suggestion.

And I agree. Old threads are left open like land mines for people to trip on.

IceForce:

funnydude6556:
EDIT: That's it I'm fed up with this site and so I'm going to make a suggestion. if you guys don't want people posting in old threads. LOCK THEM.

SERIOUSLY. Just lock the threads. There is literally no point in keeping a thread open if you're going to pass out warnings to people for posting in them so either get rid of the rule or lock the threads. Otherwise it looks like you're just keeping them open to trick people

Don't worry, you're not the first to make this suggestion.

And I agree. Old threads are left open like land mines for people to trip on.

Exactly. I'm fine with rules, I make a point of making sure not to break the rules but I don't think it's my fault if I don't happen to notice that it's been more then 30 days since the last post. I can't make new threads and it seems like it'd be a lot easier if maybe The Escapist found a way to be notified of when a thread has been inactive for more then 30 days so they can lock it.

There's this kickstarter I want to promote, is it okay for me to create a thread about it if I'm not related to it (except for being a backer)?

How does one go about closing an account?

TopazFusion:

Zachary Amaranth:
How does one go about closing an account?

Use this. Tell them you want a requested ban.

Well, that makes sense. I submit a form to the people who have ignored everything I've sent their way, the very reason I've got issues with this site. Christ, I think I'm going to be sick. I'm serious. The thought of having to deal with the exact same people who have left me twisting on issues of harassment has left me shaking. I've dealt with death threats since Gamergate started, but this, this is what gets to me.

I give up.

Just signed up and read the rules.

Why are there rules against discussing pornography and pedophilia on this site?
I can obviously understand not posting porn or questionable things of that nature. But not being able to discuss it seems a bit... excessive.

Though I'm a new poster, so I don't really know why.

PetitDemon:
Just signed up and read the rules.

Why are there rules against discussing pornography and pedophilia on this site?
I can obviously understand not posting porn or questionable things of that nature. But not being able to discuss it seems a bit... excessive.

Though I'm a new poster, so I don't really know why.

According to the Code of Conduct the forums are meant to be PG-13, it may be slightly hard to believe with the content of some of the videos here but there you go. I guess the staff think those two subjects are a little too far over the line to allow, that and the latter caused a spate of flame wars on this site before discussion was banned.

Wow, you really could have fooled me about PG-13 with some of the things that Yahtzee an Jim Sterling say and do.

But I can definitely at least understand with the pedophilia thing. It's a pretty sensitive subject.
And in some cases, pornography, too.

Thanks for helping me learn.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook