Did you find this helpful?
Yes
48.8% (1202)
48.8% (1202)
No
3.7% (91)
3.7% (91)
Never put up irrelevant options, it's stupid and means that you won't get the results you created the poll for.
45.6% (1122)
45.6% (1122)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
The Banhammer and You: A User's Guide to the Forums

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . . . 24 NEXT

Hey, um ive got a thread with 1233 views, and no badge? i know my views dont count, but I havent viewed it 233 times ???

megapenguinx:
A thing I wonder (and still slightly bothers me) is when I was suspended for asking a (really stupid question on my part) in the WarCry forums, after I appealed it I was still suspended over there but not here. From my understanding, any mod wrath gained in those forums is just the same as any here at the Escapist. I kind of find it strange I was not suspended from here as well.

The WarCry forums aren't the Escapist forums. Different rules, different topics, different mods and a different community. As far as I know, a probation/suspension over there won't affect you over here and vice-versa.

Of course, I could be wrong.

Chiddy:
Hey, um ive got a thread with 1233 views, and no badge? i know my views dont count, but I havent viewed it 233 times ???

As far as I know (again), badges are released at particular times. This sounds more likely to be a glitch though; ask a staff member to get a bit more info.

Chiddy:

Badges are given at 10am (can't remember the time zone though) the next day. So if it's from today you should be getting it tomorrow. If it's been a few days, yeah you might want to ask someone.

I still want to know what the exact definition of a troll is. Because people have reffered to me as that before, but I just thought I was being opinionated.

KingPiccolOwned:
I still want to know what the exact definition of a troll is. Because people have reffered to me as that before, but I just thought I was being opinionated.

Google says

"
One who purposely and deliberately (that purpose usually being self-amusement) starts an argument in a manner which attacks others on a forum without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by his or her peers. He will spark of such an argument via the use of ad hominem attacks (i.e. 'you're nothing but a fanboy' is a popular phrase) with no substance or relevence to back them up as well as straw man arguments, which he uses to simply avoid addressing the essence of the issue.
"

berethond:
Google says

"
One who purposely and deliberately (that purpose usually being self-amusement) starts an argument in a manner which attacks others on a forum without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by his or her peers. He will spark of such an argument via the use of ad hominem attacks (i.e. 'you're nothing but a fanboy' is a popular phrase) with no substance or relevence to back them up as well as straw man arguments, which he uses to simply avoid addressing the essence of the issue.
"

Well I don't think I did that, as I recall I was expressing my genuine opinions on the subject, not necessarily with the intention of starting any manner of argument. Although I guess that those kind of responses kind of come with the territory of questioning the quality of turn based gameplay, and the Final Fantasy series.

KingPiccolOwned:
Well I don't think I did that, as I recall I was expressing my genuine opinions on the subject, not necessarily with the intention of starting any manner of argument. Although I guess that those kind of responses kind of come with the territory of questioning the quality of turn based gameplay, and the Final Fantasy series.

Maybe, maybe not.
People tend to assume a lot, on the Internet.

megapenguinx:

Chiddy:

Badges are given at 10am (can't remember the time zone though) the next day. So if it's from today you should be getting it tomorrow. If it's been a few days, yeah you might want to ask someone.

its all good, thx if someone saw this or other posts and fixed it :P

Very helpful, great format and good grammar.

Hey just wondering if you were planing on adding a section that would explain how many posts you need for a certain title, i've looked around the forums and cant seem to find a thread on it???

Chiddy:
Hey just wondering if you were planing on adding a section that would explain how many posts you need for a certain title, i've looked around the forums and cant seem to find a thread on it???

Hmm, I've forgotten how many posts it takes to achieve certain titles. I'll do a bit of research, but how it will fit in with a thread about Bans, I don't know.

Lord Krunk:

Chiddy:

Hmm, I've forgotten how many posts it takes to achieve certain titles. I'll do a bit of research, but how it will fit in with a thread about Bans, I don't know.

Short answer: it won't. However, to be helpful, here's a few I know:

Anonymous Source: 0-25 posts.
Paperboy: 25-50 posts.
Copy Clerk: 50-100 posts.
Beat Writer: 100-200 posts.
Muckraker: 200-300 posts.
Press Junketeer: 300-500 posts.
Infamous Scribbler: 500-750 posts.
Pulitzer Laureate: 750-1000 posts.
Gone Gonzo: 1000+ posts.
Master Archivest: 5000+ posts.
Wordsmith Extraordinaire: 10,000+ posts. Only Indigo Dingo has achieved this, to my knowledge.

scotth266:

Lord Krunk:

Chiddy:

Short answer: it won't. However, to be helpful, here's a few I know:

Anonymous Source: 0-25 posts.
Paperboy: 25-50 posts.
Copy Clerk: 50-100 posts.
Beat Writer: 100-200 posts.
Muckraker: 200-300 posts.
Press Junketeer: 300-500 posts.
Infamous Scribbler: 500-750 posts.
Pulitzer Laureate: 750-1000 posts.
Gone Gonzo: 1000+ posts.
Master Archivest: 5000+ posts.
Wordsmith Extraordinaire: 10,000+ posts. Only Indigo Dingo has achieved this, to my knowledge.

Thanks i thought it was relevant because underneath the ban hammer information there is info on the badges, i thought this was similar to titles, in comparison to awards and stuff like that

Lord Krunk:
Lots of stuff

Just an update for you, there is an additional level of moderation under probation. Official warnings can be issued that send PMs and stay listed in a user's ban history. They don't show publicly though, and don't affect the badges. But they do impact what future penalties will be.

Virgil:

Lord Krunk:
Lots of stuff

Just an update for you, there is an additional level of moderation under probation. Official warnings can be issued that send PMs and stay listed in a user's ban history. They don't show publicly though, and don't affect the badges. But they do impact what future penalties will be.

Oh yes, I'd forgotten about those completely. Thanks for the heads-up, I'll update as soon as I can.

Incredibly useful, accurate, and informative.

I've got a question. I was just looking around for some kind of post regarding windows 7 not being shipped with IE in europe because of marketing laws or something. Anyways i noticed someone got a permanant ban for the post "lol what".

Is that because the post was so horrific that moderators had to change it before they got banned, or did they get banned for that specific post, and if so why?

McMo0^:
I've got a question. I was just looking around for some kind of post regarding windows 7 not being shipped with IE in europe because of marketing laws or something. Anyways i noticed someone got a permanant ban for the post "lol what".

Is that because the post was so horrific that moderators had to change it before they got banned, or did they get banned for that specific post, and if so why?

No, he was banned because his history was full of inflammatory remarks and insults, as well as a general lack of respect.
(NOTE: I am not a mod, but this is how I understand it to be.)

berethond:

McMo0^:

No, he was banned because his history was full of inflammatory remarks and insults, as well as a general lack of respect.

That was Eggo, right? Yeah, I believe it was more of a "straw that broke the camel's back" type deal.

thebobmaster:

berethond:

McMo0^:

That was Eggo, right? Yeah, I believe it was more of a "straw that broke the camel's back" type deal.

It wasn't Eggo that time, but Eggo was banned for posting "lol what" on another thread about Microsoft, as well as his history of flaming.

We don't like using "Lol what" solely making up posts anyway, as it adds nothing to the discussion, but those posters have usually had a history of mod wrath, and that makes up why they were banned as well.

Zombie_Fish:

thebobmaster:

berethond:

McMo0^:

It wasn't Eggo that time, but Eggo was banned for posting "lol what" on another thread about Microsoft, as well as his history of flaming.

We don't like using "Lol what" solely making up posts anyway, as it adds nothing to the discussion, but those posters have usually had a history of mod wrath, and that makes up why they were banned as well.

Maybe it was Pyronox he was talking about, he got banned for the same reason as Eggo, and with the same words.

Mind you, the thread wasn't about Windows 7 either.

Lord Krunk:

Zombie_Fish:

thebobmaster:

berethond:

McMo0^:

Maybe it was Pyronox he was talking about, he got banned for the same reason as Eggo, and with the same words.

Mind you, the thread wasn't about Windows 7 either.

Being the sad person that I am I have looked in the forums for what has to be about half an hour and can't find anyone banned for a thread about Windows 7 and IE, yet alone for posting "lol what" in it, so I'm going to go for the closest one and say Eggo, despite my thoughts before.

SimuLord:

Like most of the Internet, the Escapist falls into the trap of politically correct bigotry---it is perfectly fine to rip Acceptable Targets,

I'm not sure you can say that in light of the fact that one of the most (in)famous members on here just got banned for a post expressing bigotry towards Christians.

SimuLord:
Like most of the Internet, the Escapist falls into the trap of politically correct bigotry---it is perfectly fine to rip Acceptable Targets, but go after a pet liberal cause (with a "kitchen/sammich" joke or anything that's racist toward any race other than white people) and you're up a creek.

Dunno about that. I recently told off a whole bunch of people who were posting torture fantasies about the most acceptable of "Acceptable Targets" -- sex offenders.

On a large open forum, though, you do have to pick your battles. Attack language has become so embedded in the basic communication style of the Internet that we can't possibly hope to remove or "punish" all of it.

Plainly put, I personally prioritize racist and sexist language over the other kinds of mudslinging because the discourse on gaming forums really is overwhelmingly controlled by cisgendered heterosexual white men. I'm not as worried about, say, political language, because I do at least see a "healthy" back-and-forth going on: there's roughly equal hate for Fox News and "political correctness", which is what passes for a balance between "liberal" and "conservative" ideology on the Internet. (And, let's be honest here, people here still get away with a massive quantity of ridiculous bigotry just by using "I" statements instead of racial slurs.)

The message I really want to send is that no personal attacks or group attacks are truly safe. If you make an ass out of yourself, you're always a potential target for "moderator wrath", regardless of whom you happen to be attacking. The only way to really win this game is not to be an ass.

-- Alex

scotth266:

MoonPenguin also has, I think he/she is somewhere in the vicinity of 12,000 posts.

Virgil:

Are records of those messages deleted after a period of time, or are they permanent? Or is there at least some kind of time-stamp to prevent members who've been around for a while getting harsher penalties based on indiscretions from years back?

pigeon_of_doom:

Virgil:

Are records of those messages deleted after a period of time, or are they permanent? Or is there at least some kind of time-stamp to prevent members who've been around for a while getting harsher penalties based on indiscretions from years back?

Yes, they have dates on them.

traceur_:

MoonPenguin also has, I think he/she is somewhere in the vicinity of 12,000 posts.

Not that a post count is a benefit here.
It doesn't even guarantee 'fame'. It used to, but now the community is too big for that to work.

Anarchemitis:

traceur_:

It doesn't even guarantee 'fame'. It used to, but now the community is too big for that to work.

I don't recognize users by their post count: I recognize them by their avatars.

Which is why it sucks when people change them all the time... I can't keep track of some users and wind up thinking that it's someone new (Max especially, dude changes his avatar more often than most people change clothes these days) until I look at their name.

scotth266:

Anarchemitis:

traceur_:

Which is why it sucks when people change them all the time... I can't keep track of some users and wind up thinking that it's someone new (Max especially, dude changes his avatar more often than most people change clothes these days) until I look at their name.

Same here. When I changed my original avatar (a silhouette of Beat from JSRF, had it for 6 months), a lot of people complained. I haven't gone back to using it yet.

this thread is very help full thanks :)

EDIT : also i got put on probation for calling ultrajoe a dickhead >.<, bit unfair in my opinion

Blackadder51:

EDIT : also i got put on probation for calling ultrajoe a dickhead >.<, bit unfair in my opinion

Hardly.
One word post that are off-topic and inflamatory tend to be frowned upon.

Lord Krunk:

scotth266:

Anarchemitis:

traceur_:

Same here. When I changed my original avatar (a silhouette of Beat from JSRF, had it for 6 months), a lot of people complained. I haven't gone back to using it yet.

Well, it's easier to remember a picture than a number. Especially if a lot of those numbers are very similar.

But I do that as well. It usually takes me a while to notice when Max changes his avatar, and also when The_Oracle changed his, I didn't notice that for a few days I think. Mostly because it was no longer the oracle.

The result being I usually try to avoid changing my avatar.

Blackadder51:

Have you talked to the mods about that? All I know is that one word posts are frowned upon, as well as insulting posts, but I can see why you would instantly think that after seeing his post. Try PM'ing a mod about it if you care that much about it.

Blackadder51:

Have you talked to the mods about that? All I know is that one word posts are frowned upon, as well as insulting posts, but I can see why you would instantly think that after seeing his post. Try PM'ing a mod about it if you care that much about it.[/quote]

Yeh i have put i have got no response..

Blackadder51:

Zombie_Fish:

Blackadder51:

Have you talked to the mods about that? All I know is that one word posts are frowned upon, as well as insulting posts, but I can see why you would instantly think that after seeing his post. Try PM'ing a mod about it if you care that much about it.

Yeh i have put i have got no response..

Well just wait then. Mods aren't on 24/7 and unless it's completely irrational whatsoever they will give reasoning for it. You'll probably get a response from them sometime tomorrow, tonight possibly.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . . . 24 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here