Linksys 2200 on the way... your home wifi thoughts

My Asus wifi range extender exploded recently, leaving me with little coverage in my home addition.

I managed to get the Linksys ac2200 for $99 in a pre-black Friday sale. ITMT, reviews I checked read that it is slow compared to other routers (ones that actually cost $200 non sale price?) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjBXzQXSeAk

Your own thoughts? What do you have? What do you want?

Course, had I the cash..

Damn, which of the RP ASUS wall nipples did you have? I always thought they had too much of an unsafe Apple design for how hot they can get.

Do bear in mind that the maximum wireless speed you can achieve greatly depends on the antennas and wireless cards fitted into your network clients. And that maximum speed will further be reduced by walls, furniture and a possible cornucopia of radiation white noise you might have little to no control over. So don't sweat it if you can't throw all the money at the most expensive thing you might, on average, only make around 20% use of.

As to what I want... all depends on the situation of the installation in question. On most sites, I swear Linksys offers the most bang for my buck. But that might be nostalgia skewing my rationale. Or the fact that other people cough up the money. A lot of the aftermarket antennas are a bit of a scam, but no biggie. Haven't lately had any issue with Netgear routers either.

I myself have eventually switched to all ASUS. No specific reason. I currently don't have any reason or justification to abandon ASUS, as everything just tends to work - be that stock firmware or aftermarket solutions. The hardware is fine, the software is stable and, as of now, pretty secure, as well. I can't seem to be able to buy replacement antennas for them anywhere, so some of them got the glue or sticky tape treatment. Function and performance > looks.

For the wireless part, I prefer a stable signal to a fast, wonky one. Like that 5GHz signal that is really, really fast but only hangs around when nobody is moving or the dog ran three circles during full moon.

Truth be told, though, I use nothing but wired connections for all computers and consoles. In our home, wireless really only gets used by phones, tablets and the magic of sending music to the ASUS wall nipples around the house.

Headdrivehardscrew:
Damn, which of the RP ASUS wall nipples did you have? I always thought they had too much of an unsafe Apple design for how hot they can get.

Do bear in mind that the maximum wireless speed you can achieve greatly depends on the antennas and wireless cards fitted into your network clients. And that maximum speed will further be reduced by walls, furniture and a possible cornucopia of radiation white noise you might have little to no control over. So don't sweat it if you can't throw all the money at the most expensive thing you might, on average, only make around 20% use of.

As to what I want... all depends on the situation of the installation in question. On most sites, I swear Linksys offers the most bang for my buck. But that might be nostalgia skewing my rationale. Or the fact that other people cough up the money. A lot of the aftermarket antennas are a bit of a scam, but no biggie. Haven't lately had any issue with Netgear routers either.

I myself have eventually switched to all ASUS. No specific reason. I currently don't have any reason or justification to abandon ASUS, as everything just tends to work - be that stock firmware or aftermarket solutions. The hardware is fine, the software is stable and, as of now, pretty secure, as well. I can't seem to be able to buy replacement antennas for them anywhere, so some of them got the glue or sticky tape treatment. Function and performance > looks.

For the wireless part, I prefer a stable signal to a fast, wonky one. Like that 5GHz signal that is really, really fast but only hangs around when nobody is moving or the dog ran three circles during full moon.

Truth be told, though, I use nothing but wired connections for all computers and consoles. In our home, wireless really only gets used by phones, tablets and the magic of sending music to the ASUS wall nipples around the house.

Whatever I had, it must have been ancient. I can't find a pic but it cost $200 way back when and looked like this (though I think this a router. Again, mine was a poorly working extender) image

The 5 Ghz signal from the Linksys I just got reaches my Xbox in the addition with a pretty steady 66% signal, even with moving cats. It is doing the trick. I have a 48" split ranch. 1st floor living, finished basement. The the thing is in the basement at one end. The signal is reaching the other end, and to the other side is the addition with the Xbox about 36" away. So, I'm stunned at how well this thing is working.

Other than the extender, I love ASUS and buy a ton of their stuff (though in electronics, I must not show brand loyalty. Things change radically in 5 year and even less for some things). And things can swing in the other direction too. I swore never an Acer again. I got a laptop, great specs at incredible price and went for it. For 2 years now, it has been a champ.

I wish my house was wired. I'd have to knock down a bunch of walls to make it happen now. I'm jealous! Happily I live in the middle of nowhere. I'm not stepping on anyone and versa vica

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here