Getting more RAM a good idea?
It Can't Hurt
50% (1)
50% (1)
Other
50% (1)
50% (1)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Was playing Batman Arkham Knight on PC when I was interrupted by an "out of memory resources" text

I was playing Batman Arkham Knight on PC when I was interrupted by an "out of memory resources" text.

I have an I7-930 with 12 Gig of DDR3 1600 RAM and an RX 480 with 8 Gig of DDR5. When I did a Task Manager in Windows 7 64 bit, it read that almost all of the RAM was cached and nothing available.

I was able to pick up another 12 Gig of DDR3 1333 (motherboard says it can handle 1600 in one channel but the 2nd must be in 1333) for about $56. I'm looking forward to trying it, but am amazed with all that RAM I ran into that message (cached is still a usable resource, no?). I thought most games cannot make use of 4 Gig, let alone 12. I did have FRAPS running. Maybe that made the PC angry? I also read that Batman AK on PC is buggy. Might have nothing to do with my rig.

Your thoughts?

12 Gigs should be more than enough for most games. Not that more isn't always good. ^^
(Win XP 32bits couldn't handle more than 4 GB RAM but anything after that 64-bit can.)
FRAPS might not have been the best idea though.
Just don't buy buggy 'ports is all. ,)

Vendor-Lazarus:
12 Gigs should be more than enough for most games. Not that more isn't always good. ^^
(Win XP 32bits couldn't handle more than 4 GB RAM but anything after that 64-bit can.)
FRAPS might not have been the best idea though.
Just don't buy buggy 'ports is all. ,)

Good advice. I'd read that there have been a lot of fixes to this port. Maybe not enough.

Be interesting to see if I note any performance increase with the extra 12 Gig.

Arkham Knight is a bit of a resources hog, but I was able to play through it's latest update (I think a few months after it was re-released on Steam) with both 8GB and 12GB configurations. Not sure the speed exactly, but DDR3 so most likely 1333.

I'd say it can't hurt, can always do with more RAM and if the price is not insane then just go for it. I'm looking to upgrade as well, but since I'm on socket 1155 and 12GB of DDR3, probably better off holding until I get a new mobo/CPU setup.

JohnnyDelRay:
Arkham Knight is a bit of a resources hog, but I was able to play through it's latest update (I think a few months after it was re-released on Steam) with both 8GB and 12GB configurations. Not sure the speed exactly, but DDR3 so most likely 1333.

I'd say it can't hurt, can always do with more RAM and if the price is not insane then just go for it. I'm looking to upgrade as well, but since I'm on socket 1155 and 12GB of DDR3, probably better off holding until I get a new mobo/CPU setup.

New mobo/CPU in the future. For now, got the RAM. Let's see how it works. (thinking SSD and new OS too. It is Win 7 64bit and I'm thinking I need 10 to do the Xbox One buy a game, play on Xb1 or PC with it. Forza and Gears 4 supposedly will do it.

Please, let us know when you can how you go with this. In case any of us get this issue as well, also in case you still get the "out of memory resources" bug again.

I'd proceed with caution with the whole buying Win 10. I just bit the bullet two weeks ago for Horizon 3, and that's been a never-ending nightmare. I haven't heard great things about Quantum Break at launch either, but it seems they've got things under control now. Either way, it's still not utilizing all the cores that well, and memory leaks abound. Depends though, are you talking about Forza Apex or Horizon 3? I'm also still waiting for wheel support to be implemented properly, hope that gets sorted out soon.

I wouldn't mind Gears 4 as well down the track, but I'll hang back a bit on that one given my experience thus far.

I would increase swap file space. I used to get that message too before I bumped it up. I used to be able to keep it at 500 megs and be fine but no games are coming out that want more so I had to bump it up to stop those messages.

Worgen:
I would increase swap file space. I used to get that message too before I bumped it up. I used to be able to keep it at 500 megs and be fine but no games are coming out that want more so I had to bump it up to stop those messages.

That's usually done automatically by the operating system....I personally wouldn't go tweaking the virtual memory settings unless you know what you are doing as it can cause more issues.

so so sorry for the bump, did not notice until the last minute

JohnnyDelRay:
Please, let us know when you can how you go with this. In case any of us get this issue as well, also in case you still get the "out of memory resources" bug again.

I'd proceed with caution with the whole buying Win 10. I just bit the bullet two weeks ago for Horizon 3, and that's been a never-ending nightmare. I haven't heard great things about Quantum Break at launch either, but it seems they've got things under control now. Either way, it's still not utilizing all the cores that well, and memory leaks abound. Depends though, are you talking about Forza Apex or Horizon 3? I'm also still waiting for wheel support to be implemented properly, hope that gets sorted out soon.

I wouldn't mind Gears 4 as well down the track, but I'll hang back a bit on that one given my experience thus far.

Tried Batman with the extra RAM and it ran at about 10 FPS and I quit. I'll try again soon.
Got Forza Horizen 3 Play Anywhere. Worked great on my PC with 39" LED TV. Played even better on my XB1 on a 55" LED. Aaaaandd now it won't work on the PC anymore. Dunno why. I get a picture of the game as if it wants to start and it just stays there.
Gears is gorgeous and fun. Got stuck, gotta watch some youtube walkthroughs to get to what's next.
Quantum Break is great fun for me, very cinematic.
Ubisoft is giving games away this weekend and I put about 3 hours into Assassin's Creed 3 even though I've already played it on PS3! Looks amazing on PC. I have 4 on PS4.... I"m thinking of getting that ASAP for PC just to check out the visuals.

Hope you are getting a lot of holiday deals.

Gorfias:

JohnnyDelRay:
snip

Tried Batman with the extra RAM and it ran at about 10 FPS and I quit. I'll try again soon.
Got Forza Horizen 3 Play Anywhere. Worked great on my PC with 39" LED TV. Played even better on my XB1 on a 55" LED. Aaaaandd now it won't work on the PC anymore. Dunno why. I get a picture of the game as if it wants to start and it just stays there.
Gears is gorgeous and fun. Got stuck, gotta watch some youtube walkthroughs to get to what's next.
Quantum Break is great fun for me, very cinematic.
Ubisoft is giving games away this weekend and I put about 3 hours into Assassin's Creed 3 even though I've already played it on PS3! Looks amazing on PC. I have 4 on PS4.... I"m thinking of getting that ASAP for PC just to check out the visuals.

Hope you are getting a lot of holiday deals.

Thanks for the follow-up on this mate. I decided to bite the bullet, I'm going to get an Xbox One S this holiday season. I'm on a plane to the USofA today so I will try to get a deal maybe on Boxing Day (missed an excellent short time deal on bestbuy where I could've gotten a free controller, dang). I was hesitating so long because there's actually more exclusives on PS4 that I want to play, but that'll come eventually I guess.

So yeah, it'll be good to see how Horizon 3 goes at 30fps. I've seen a lot of youtubers play it with wheels seemingly without the input lag that I get when locked at 30fps on Windows, which is my prime concern. But as long as it's bug/stutter free I'll be happy. I'll be hitting up Gears 4, Halo 5 and maybe Forza Motorsport 6 as well. I'd still prefer to play Quantum Break on Windows, so now that it's on Steam I'll see how that performs first, seemed to have some issues at the start but should be ironed out relatively by now.

Hope you find some sweet deals too! Ubi 30 event has been pretty cool, I got nearly all of them so far.

JohnnyDelRay:

Thanks for the follow-up on this mate. I decided to bite the bullet, I'm going to get an Xbox One S this holiday season. I'm on a plane to the USofA today so I will try to get a deal maybe on Boxing Day (missed an excellent short time deal on bestbuy where I could've gotten a free controller, dang). I was hesitating so long because there's actually more exclusives on PS4 that I want to play, but that'll come eventually I guess.

So yeah, it'll be good to see how Horizon 3 goes at 30fps. I've seen a lot of youtubers play it with wheels seemingly without the input lag that I get when locked at 30fps on Windows, which is my prime concern. But as long as it's bug/stutter free I'll be happy. I'll be hitting up Gears 4, Halo 5 and maybe Forza Motorsport 6 as well. I'd still prefer to play Quantum Break on Windows, so now that it's on Steam I'll see how that performs first, seemed to have some issues at the start but should be ironed out relatively by now.

Hope you find some sweet deals too! Ubi 30 event has been pretty cool, I got nearly all of them so far.

Will you be here for Xmas (only a week or so off). Should be more deals.

One of the best things about the Xbox: Games for it and PS4 take up a massive amount of space. Xbox allows you to use your internal hard drive and as it fills up, add a USB 3.0 external. I have a 3Tb attached to mine.

I'm waiting for the Scorpio to attach to a 4K TV but if you have one already, the S has an UHD disc player in it too. Very fun platform.

Gorfias:
I was playing Batman Arkham Knight on PC when I was interrupted by an "out of memory resources" text.

I have an I7-930 with 12 Gig of DDR3 1600 RAM and an RX 480 with 8 Gig of DDR5. When I did a Task Manager in Windows 7 64 bit, it read that almost all of the RAM was cached and nothing available.

I was able to pick up another 12 Gig of DDR3 1333 (motherboard says it can handle 1600 in one channel but the 2nd must be in 1333) for about $56. I'm looking forward to trying it, but am amazed with all that RAM I ran into that message (cached is still a usable resource, no?). I thought most games cannot make use of 4 Gig, let alone 12. I did have FRAPS running. Maybe that made the PC angry? I also read that Batman AK on PC is buggy. Might have nothing to do with my rig.

Your thoughts?

You could always try Large Address Aware: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/large-address-aware.112556/ , but I'm not sure if it would actually do anything with Win 10. At worst it would do nothing at all, so you wouldn't have anything to lose.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here