My friend is having issues connecting to my game sessions

Edit: Is there information I need to add here or something? I've asked 3 different places and no one has even suggested anything yet. No one is obligated, but I've been trying all week to figure this out myself.

Myself and two friends are trying to play games together.

We had two choices, Borderlands 2 and Dying Light, both on PC.

My one friend, my brother, is in the same house as me. The other lives a little away.

When trying Borderlands 2, we can all connect fine, but the friend who lives away is teleporting all over the map, and her inputs aren't showing up accurately from my perspective.

The same issue when we tried Dying Light. When she did something on her session, I wouldn't see it happen until seconds later or I just see her teleport around.

Wondering if her internet itself was the issue, I asked her to do a speedtest.

We both have the same provider so I figured they would be similar. And they were.

Multiple tests show she had 70-90Mbps download, 5-7Mbps upload.

She disabled firewall, antivirus, restarted the games, Steam, logged off anything that might be using data, and the results were the same for both games.

My brother has zero issues, since we are in the same house.

Overwatch however works just fine, with both of us getting no connection issues.

The results are similar when she is the host of the game. If I connect to her in Borderlands 2, I will be the one teleporting around and having input issues.

I've also tried pinging each other computers with command prompt, and average ping is 25ms, with a max of 32ms, it really does just seem to be games that she cannot connect to me well with

It seems also that my friend can connect to my brother's PC (which is on the same network as mine) and have no issues. However when I join the session, then she gets issues again.

DeliveryGodNoah:
It seems also that my friend can connect to my brother's PC (which is on the same network as mine) and have no issues. However when I join the session, then she gets issues again.

Sounds like contention (lack of bandwidth).

What technology are you using in your home network? (WiFi or LAN?)

Some WiFi routers only go as fast as the slowest connection. A 802.11g or lower device could slow the network to under 2 Mbps real world speed.

When joining the game are you connecting to the home IP of your brothers PC (192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x)? (rather than via the routers internet IP)

TechNoFear:

DeliveryGodNoah:

Sounds like contention (lack of bandwidth).

What technology are you using in your home network? (WiFi or LAN?)

Some WiFi routers only go as fast as the slowest connection. A 802.11g or lower device could slow the network to under 2 Mbps real world speed.

When joining the game are you connecting to the home IP of your brothers PC (192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x)? (rather than via the routers internet IP)

My brother and I are both using LAN connection (I'm right beside the router plugged in, and we have a long wire routed through the wall to reach his computer in another room)

As for the connection, I'm not sure how to check that.

However, would that explain why when my friend connects to me exclusively, she still has a slow connection?

LAN should not suffer contention, unless your router is very, very old.

Does the lag only happen when the 3rd player joins?
[PC is fast enough to host with 1 client but not fast enough to host the game with 2 clients.]

Have you checked NAT and port forwarding? (as your friend can join I don't think port forwarding is the issue)

Check these links for info;

http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/84959/what-ports-do-i-need-open-to-host-a-game

https://gearboxsoftware.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205280130-General-Networking-Troubleshooting

BTW I have not played Borderlands 2 but Dying Light is a great coop game that does not require a dedicated / local sever (so should not suffer this issue).

EDIT: You could try a VPN;

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/pc/how-to-create-a-vpn-for-faster-gaming-1055032/2#articleContent

Well, honestly this seems to be a recent issue, as we've all played the game before with no issues (using the same internet we have today).

And as far as I know, my friend has also used the same internet, but since it's technically not her internet (the people that live with her pay for it, but let her use it) I don't think they'd appreciate her poking around with it too much, but I'll see what I can get out of her.

Also, if she hosts the game and I join (JUST me) I lag instead.

DeliveryGodNoah:
Well, honestly this seems to be a recent issue, as we've all played the game before with no issues (using the same internet we have today).

Have you checked the route? (use 'tracert' is like 'ping', check your friend, Steam and any game authentication / lobby servers)

It might be you are being routed incorrectly or some router 'between' you is dropping packets.
Not a big chance but it could fit the symptoms.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here