Not feeling the Vanguard love in ME2

I really enjoyed the class in the first game, it felt like a more aggressive version of the Adept, especially when you unlocked the ability to wear medium armour.

But for some reason I just can't get into playing as the class in Mass Effect 2. Charge is fun for a while but I can't help but feel that powers wise the class has been nerfed since the first game. I find myself playing less aggressively than before.

Any gameplay tips to get me to enjoy the class?

I don't play a lot of vanguard (don't even play a lot of biotic honestly, prefer my Shepard/Ryder to be the man with the hardware rather than the man with the magic), but one of my friends swears by it and the impression I get from him is that charge is pretty much the linchpin of the class. You engage the enemy, lose some shields, charge to regain those shields and reposition, repeat. With plenty of shotgun and melee in between.

Another thing I sometimes hear is that Mass Effect 2 as a whole is unfair on biotics. Allegedly the tough enemies who are vulnerable to biotics are in a minority compared to the rest. For this reason adept is considered a suboptimal class in ME2. So maybe if you're playing your vanguard like an aggressive adept, you could be suffering in the same way?

Well, that's my two cents as a proud infiltrator/soldier.

votemarvel:
I really enjoyed the class in the first game, it felt like a more aggressive version of the Adept, especially when you unlocked the ability to wear medium armour.

But for some reason I just can't get into playing as the class in Mass Effect 2. Charge is fun for a while but I can't help but feel that powers wise the class has been nerfed since the first game. I find myself playing less aggressively than before.

Any gameplay tips to get me to enjoy the class?

The main difference bizarrely between the two was that Singularity was given exclusively to Adepts and taken out of the bonus ability list. Singularity + Carnage was a great combination in ME1 but in the "streamlining" process, they took away unique builds in exchange for focused shooter action. The main new feature in ME2 and ME3 was the combo business and the global cooldown. What it means is you need to weave your companions' abilities into your gameplay. Personally, I use Miranda a lot for her teamwide damage bonus as well as abilities slam (primer) and warp (powerful detonator).

As a Vanguard, you have Charge (detonator), Shockwave (detonator) and Pull (primer). So you need to use these abilities in concert with your teammates and shotgun. For example, you can use Miranda's slam and your charge, her slam and your shockwave, your pull and her warp and so on. Your Charge, when ranked up, will also have modifiers to ability damage or shotgun damage, the latter of which combines with an ammo power to boost damage further. A third companion can also bring some further abilities to the mix and each squad mate has their own cooldown.

So core Vanguard gameplay is essentially ammo ability + shotgun and mixing up charge, pull and shockwave with companion abilities to proc detonations and shoot things in the face from up close after charging. As a vanguard, you'll spend less time in cover and never really be out of ammo but you have to kill fast and keep moving. I don't recommend playing on harder than Veteran however, not because of "difficulty" but because the awful game design that nerfs biotics due to all enemies gaining extra protections and thus being rendered immune to CC effects from charge, pull, slam and so on.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here