Dan Takahashi of Venture Beat incompetently plays Cuphead for almost half an hour

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Proof why the most vocal anti gamergate hates the industry, because they suck at games like these and want everything to be walking sims and cinematic shooters that hold their hand all the way from start to finish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=848Y1Uu5Htk

He also made a pathetic damage control post about his incompetence at the game as well.

Really makes you think.

It makes me think, sure. But about how trivial this is as a criticism of someone.

I mean really... "He is bad at a random game and thats why his opinions are invalid"?

Saelune:
It makes me think, sure. But about how trivial this is as a criticism of someone.

I mean really... "He is bad at a random game and thats why his opinions are invalid"?

He cant even do the basic gameplay mechanics right. Plus VB was part of the media blitz directed at Gamergate so that is another strike made against him.

gyrobot:

Saelune:

He cant even do the basic gameplay mechanics right. Plus VB was part of the media blitz directed at Gamergate so that is another strike made against him.

I was too busy not caring about a lover's spat to pay attention to who is on what side of a lover's spat that somehow got painted under gaming.

Couldn't make it past him repeatedly failing to jump over an obstacle despite the game's explicitly telling him how to, in literal black-on-white writing.

Jesus.

Dean Takahahahahahahashi! No fan of gameplay in his games, that one. It's not inclusive of people who don't like games. The Industry must change, and his pals just happen to have a used change that would be ideal.

Games Fuckin' Journalism: sucks at games, sucks at journalism. Hmmm, I feel like I missed something.

....Who?

I'm sorry, you're going in all fire and thunder and you haven't bothered explaining who this guy is or why he matters to those of us to haven't been religiously following the GG debacle long after it stopped being relevant. Also you failed to mention why anyone should care. Guy isn't super good at games. Big fucking deal. I'm in a group of gamers who aren't really that good even though they've played all their lives. Because they play it to, you know, have fun. But I guess they're teh dreaded ess jay double-us for not being super hardcore people who play XCOM 2 on legendary ironman mode.

I mean he sucks at games...how does this prove fucking anything?

And everyone who's talking about how they aren't good at games, how many of you have beaten The Answer in Persona 3? Because I have, and I doubt many of you have, and you know what that proves? FUCKING NOTHING!

I hate Gamergate, and I finished S.T.A.L.K.E.R on Misery mod.

So where do we go with that?

Saelune:

Not to mention this notion that our politics dictates our actual skill at games.

I'll accept shit from GamerGaters about my supposed lack of skill when they can beat, say, Bayou Billy on NES without a cheat. Which I have.

Smithnikov:

Yeah, another question, me loving Dark Souls and despising GG. Am I a figment of someone else's imagination?

erttheking:

Smithnikov:

Yeah, another question, me loving Dark Souls and despising GG. Am I a figment of someone else's imagination?

I mean, it's either that, or GamerGate is wrong here, and it can't possibly be the latter, can it?

I'm also surprised that S.T.A.L.K.E.R is now a walking sim/cinematic shooter, since I like it.

erttheking:

And everyone who's talking about how they aren't good at games, how many of you have beaten The Answer in Persona 3? Because I have, and I doubt many of you have, and you know what that proves? FUCKING NOTHING!

Well, NORMALLY it wouoldn't prove anything, but now that GamerGate is apparently putting forth the idea that those of us who are against them suck at games, it does take on some meaning..

Maybe the OP needs to flesh things out a little. I'm not going to go watch a youtube video without proper explaination. Particularly when it's one of those "aha, GamerGate was right all along and people who dislike us don't really play games" types of openings. Or at least I think that was the gist of it.

The Logic Brigade strikes again, I see. Facts galore.

Everyone knows that the only people who get to have views and opinions are ones that could play flawless games of Halo CE CTF on 300 ping.

Funny video though, I'll give you that.

jademunky:
I'm not going to go watch a youtube video without proper explaination. Particularly when it's one of those "aha, GamerGate was right all along and people who dislike us don't really play games" types of openings. Or at least I think that was the gist of it.

The video is literally just 26 minutes of someone being kinda rubbish at a 2D platformer.

Apparently that someone wasn't a fan of GG, so this is being taken as proof of them being wrong about everything.

Seriously, there's no hidden gotcha here. That's all there is to it.

Mind-blowing, is it not?

Zhukov:

jademunky:
I'm not going to go watch a youtube video without proper explaination. Particularly when it's one of those "aha, GamerGate was right all along and people who dislike us don't really play games" types of openings. Or at least I think that was the gist of it.

The video is literally just 26 minutes of someone being kinda rubbish at a 2D platformer.

Apparently that someone wasn't a fan of GG, so this is being taken as proof of them being wrong about everything.

Seriously, there's no hidden gotcha here. That's all there is to it.

Mind-blowing, is it not?

Yeah that is about what I expected.

OP, is it really reasonable to expect us to devote a half-hour of our time to this?

OMG THANK YOU OP!
THANKS TO THIS VIDEO ALL THOSE THREATS OF RAPE BY THE G.G. BASEMENT DWELLERS HAVE MADE THEM AN HERO TO ME!
/s

GamerGate is well dead bruh.

If this thread isn't satire then I feel supremely bad for the OP that they are still carrying on about GG approximately four years after it stopped being relevant to anybody of any importance. You couldn't have found a hobby in all that time?

Talk about going beyond polishing the brass on the Titanic. The boat has hit the bottom and the OP is still chilling in his cabin, insisting everything is cool.

...'k?

So the dude plays like a casual. Which means his review is probably geared toward casuals. Which is fine, because casuals are both chill and have money to spend on games.

Only thing this makes me think of is all the games and betas I've been in where the hardcore crowd writes long and elaborate mathematical proofs about why making a game with mass-market appeal is the death of gaming.

Like, chill brah. I've got a gaming YouTube and I still occasionally die to the first goomba in Super Mario Bros. Sometimed you just don't gel with a game. Sometimes, on some days you just don't gel with any game. And if you suck at every game but still like them enough to review them and your reviews find an audience? Good on you.

Smithnikov:

Not to mention this notion that our politics dictates our actual skill at games.

I'll accept shit from GamerGaters about my supposed lack of skill when they can beat, say, Bayou Billy on NES without a cheat. Which I have.

I think the concern here is more like "getting paid to authoritatively opine on games should mean you're at least marginally acquainted with playing the damn things".

altnameJag:
...'k?

So the dude plays like a casual.

Not really. He plays like someone who just picked up a joystick for the first time in their life... which wouldn't really be a big problem if it wasn't for the fact this is supposed to be his job.

???

I think even people terrible at games deserve to have opinions about them. They just should carry weight that is proportional to their skill, because how much of an expert you are at something affects how much credibility you have when talking about it in all other facets of life so it's about time it started doing that here too.

I don't even care about the gamergate stuff, what's most disturbing here is that people even care what this guy who needs 3 minutes to jump and airdash mid air to get over a block has to say about gaming, when I know moderately smart 4 year olds who could figure this out sooner. And no, expecting basic game literacy and competence isn't elitism. You are not an elite by being competent on a basic level, you're just average, so at best it's averagism.

I'm surprised about the amount of people defending this guy here. If you're being paid to review/criticise games you should at least be able to pass a tutorial without struggling this much, it's pathetic. Should I take some game journalist seriously when it looks like they haven't picked up a controller in their entire life? I might as well ask my mom what she thinks about the games I'm interested in.

BabyfartsMcgeezaks:
I'm surprised about the amount of people defending this guy here. If you're being paid to review/criticise games you should at least be able to pass a tutorial without struggling this much, it's pathetic. Should I take some game journalist seriously when it looks like they haven't picked up a controller in their entire life? I might as well ask my mom what she thinks about the games I'm interested in.

Your mom, due to residing with you for at least some part of your life, has likely been exposed to more games than some of these people from the sound of it, so that wouldn't be the worst thing you could do.

Effing Foetuses of Jesus, is this the kind of petty, illogical confirmation bias you peeps are surviving on nowadays? Never even heard of this insignificant. Didn't realise it was so bad for you, it's kinda sad though. Oh well. Good luck with all that I guess.

Dreiko:
I think even people terrible at games deserve to have opinions about them. They just should carry weight that is proportional to their skill, because how much of an expert you are at something affects how much credibility you have when talking about it in all other facets of life so it's about time it started doing that here too.

I don't even care about the gamergate stuff, what's most disturbing here is that people even care what this guy who needs 3 minutes to jump and airdash mid air to get over a block has to say about gaming, when I know moderately smart 4 year olds who could figure this out sooner. And no, expecting basic game literacy and competence isn't elitism. You are not an elite by being competent on a basic level, you're just average, so at best it's averagism.

So my opinion of Persona 3 matters more than that of those who couldn't beat the ultra difficult The Anwser epilogue?

erttheking:

Dreiko:

So my opinion of Persona 3 matters more than that of those who couldn't beat the ultra difficult The Anwser epilogue?

Literally no one said the guy has to be able to beat every game on the hardest difficulty to have valid opinions about video games, stop exaggerating. Is it really too much to ask from game journalists to be able to play games without having to endure 10 death screens a minute?

Dreiko:

BabyfartsMcgeezaks:

Your mom, due to residing with you for at least some part of your life, has likely been exposed to more games than some of these people from the sound of it, so that wouldn't be the worst thing you could do.

Hah yeah I suppose you're right about that.

BabyfartsMcgeezaks:
Snip

He said that your opinion on gaming should carry weight proportional to your skill. Those were his exact words. By his logic, since I was able to defeat the very difficult The Answer, something a lot of Persona players can't do or just don't bother trying to do, my opinion on Persona 3 carries more weight than their opinions. Because "how much of an expert you are at something affects how much credibility you have when talking about it."

I mean he was the one who brought it up and didn't suggest that there was a cut off point, a roof you could hit where beyond that point, it didn't make how skilled you were.

Also, I didn't say anyone was claiming you had to beat a game on the hardest difficulty to have a valid opinion, no strawman arguments please. I was following his logic that, if you're better at games you have more weight behind your opinion, and I was asking if, following his logic, my opinion on Persona 3 has more weight.

erttheking:

BabyfartsMcgeezaks:
Snip

He said that your opinion on gaming should carry weight proportional to your skill. Those were his exact words. By his logic, since I was able to defeat the very difficult The Answer, something a lot of Persona players can't do or just don't bother trying to do, my opinion on Persona 3 carries more weight than their opinions. Because "how much of an expert you are at something affects how much credibility you have when talking about it."

I mean he was the one who brought it up and didn't suggest that there was a cut off point, a roof you could hit where beyond that point, it didn't make how skilled you were.

Also, I didn't say anyone was claiming you had to beat a game on the hardest difficulty to have a valid opinion, no strawman arguments please. I was following his logic that, if you're better at games you have more weight behind your opinion, and I was asking if, following his logic, my opinion on Persona 3 has more weight.

It does to an extent though but it's obviously not all that matters. I'd rather listen to this guys opinion about Doom for an example

Than this guy who can't seem to be able to move and shoot at the same time

BabyfartsMcgeezaks:
Snip

You're dodging the points I'm making just so you can rail on people who can't play games very well. Please answer the question I asked. The position Drieko proposed, the one I was criticizing and the criticism you replied to, was that your opinion holds more weight if you're better at a game. He didn't say "to some extent." There's no cut off point. So is my opinion of Persona 3 more important because I can beat The Answer?

Ogoid:

I think the concern here is more like "getting paid to authoritatively opine on games should mean you're at least marginally acquainted with playing the damn things".

Except that wasn't what the OP said.

Proof why the most vocal anti gamergate hates the industry, because they suck at games like these and want everything to be walking sims and cinematic shooters that hold their hand all the way from start to finish

To which I say to them "Eat Shit, I've been doing this since before you were a gleam in your daddy's eye. That King Kong chest thumping might intimidate some tumblr SJW teenager, but you messing with Grognards now."

BabyfartsMcgeezaks:

I'm not defending the guy in question. I'm simply questioning this notion that those of us who were anti-GamerGate were only anti-GamerGate because we suck at games, when plenty of us probably have more gaming chops in our pinky fingers than guys like RooshV and Milo have in their whole damn bodies.

Ogoid:

Smithnikov:

The only place where he is remotely authoritative is in your head. No one is telling you to heed his opinions (much less to take them as gospel).

Dreiko:
I know moderately smart 4 year olds who could figure this out sooner.

Pics or didn't happen.

erttheking:

BabyfartsMcgeezaks:
Snip

You're dodging the points I'm making just so you can rail on people who can't play games very well. Please answer the question I asked. The position Drieko proposed, the one I was criticizing and the criticism you replied to, was that your opinion holds more weight if you're better at a game. He didn't say "to some extent." There's no cut off point. So is my opinion of Persona 3 more important because I can beat The Answer?

He said that skill carries weight and affects your credibility, which they do. That you should take it into consideration when you read someone's opinion about a game, if no one did there wouldn't be such a ruckus about that video or polygons video about Doom.

I can't really answer that question because I know nothing about Persona, but to me it wouldn't be much more important just because you beat a boss. On the other hand, I'd rather listen to what a professional CSGO player has to say about CSGO than some guy who only plays matchmaking.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here