Valkyria Revolution

I finished the game and want to talk about it. while I don't think it fully deserved the ass pounding it got review-wise it was more mediocre than a good game. I think that in a late part of making it they realized the whole real time thing is not working and just made it Dynasty Warriors esque which makes the gameplay a grind and the bosses nightmarish.
Plot wise it has an interesting moral dillema but feels under utilized, the scenes between missions take far too long and the squadmates don't really engage you. The music and graphics are really good, but the Valkyrias' boob size is ludicrous and just silly.

Did someone else play it?

"The ass pounding it got review-wise" in this case being... a 55 average and a 5.8 user average.

That sounds like the reception a pretty mediocre game would receive to me.

I haven't played it, though. I still need to play Chronicles and its sequels, and the differences in Revolution never particularly caught my attention.

shrekfan246:
"The ass pounding it got review-wise" in this case being... a 55 average and a 5.8 user average.

That sounds like the reception a pretty mediocre game would receive to me.

I haven't played it, though. I still need to play Chronicles and its sequels, and the differences in Revolution never particularly caught my attention.

I always view 7 as the game industry standard for mediocre, below it is trash tier.

7 is unoffensive, but playable, seeds to greatness.

6 is some nagging issues, hidden gem possible, add +1 to +3 if niche.

5 is some moderate issues, could have been great but barely passing for okay.

4 and below is varying shades of shit. From 'cleaner going out than expected' to 'o gawd my ass is a brown volcano..help'.

Tanis:

4 and below is varying shades of shit. From 'cleaner going out than expected' to 'o gawd my ass is a brown volcano..help'.

That sounds arbitrary as fuck.

inu-kun:
... but the Valkyrias' boob size is ludicrous and just silly.

Stop trying to censor games with your virtue signalling.

You clearly weren't the target audience. Let the developers make the game they want to make.

inu-kun:
I always view 7 as the game industry standard for mediocre, below it is trash tier.

You can view it as whatever you like, that doesn't make it true.

When you actually read the reviews that people write, generally speaking 7 is in line with games that are pretty decent and will be mostly enjoyable to people who may have a passing interest in the title. Most games that are tedious, boring, or outright broken will not get anything near that level, at least as an average.

People then taking that and transposing it as the games being "mediocre" is the entire reason that websites like IGN have come under fire for rarely ever using numbers between 4 and 7 and for modifying their review system so that they have all sorts of ridiculous 7.4 and 8.6 scores floating around. Gamers need to stop losing their minds over any game that gets less than an 8, so that we can actually go back to using the full range of numbers and have some actually productive discussions about the merits of a game's quality for once, rather than useless pissing matches over how critics have no credibility because some niche game "only" got a 6.7 or whatever.

Gaming criticism isn't the same thing as a school's grading system. People really should stop treating it like one.

Zhukov:

inu-kun:

You clearly weren't the target audience. Let the developers make the game they want to make.

Never thought I'd see the day where Inu would turn full SJW, would you?

Why DOES Inu Kun hate male sexuality?

Smithnikov:

Zhukov:

inu-kun:

Sorry to stop the circle jerk here, but it's a design criticism not dissimilar from "Kingdom Hearts has too many belts", if I'd went like "other people" here I'd be screaming of how over sexualized she is and how it's terrible for women somehow.

Plus I prefer smaller boobs...

inu-kun:
Dynasty Warriors esque

Ouch, that descriptions pretty blows away any and all interest I had in this game. Musou games are really not my bag.

the Valkyrias' boob size is ludicrous and just silly.

Ah, they doubled down on the Selvaria style torpedo tits then?

inu-kun:
Sorry to stop the circle jerk here, but it's a design criticism not dissimilar from "Kingdom Hearts has too many belts", if I'd went like "other people" here I'd be screaming of how over sexualized she is and how it's terrible for women somehow.

Oh, oh, so now one can object to sexualized character designs on aesthetic grounds without being a raging puritan.

Where was this nuanced distinction in the past, hm?

I think you need to stop trying to impose your minority views on developers. Big boobs are more popular. You can't expect them to cater to your fringe fetish for small tits. It's just market forces bro.

Zhukov:
I think you need to stop trying to impose your minority views on developers. Big boobs are more popular. You can't expect them to cater to your fringe fetish for small tits. It's just market forces bro.

You mean the game doesn't have a loli imouto who'd really like to get all over her Onii-Sama?

For shame, Media Vision, that stuff is all the rage nowadays, innit?

I thought this game was shit. I bought this game, despite the reviews, thinking I could have a fun time with it as Valkyria Chronicles is one of my favourite games of all time. It quickly became evident of how wrong I was.

Now don't get me wrong, the combat, when fighting normal enemies was pretty fun. The problem comes when it comes to fighting bosses who take pretty much now damage from normal attacks and will only take damage from your specials. That was annoying to find out and it was something that wore on my more quickly than anything else. By the time I died to the first Valkyria and realised I'd have to do the whole level again, I was done. This was just the icing on the cake. The cut scenes are so fucking long, I actually waited 30 minutes for something other than cut scenes to happen one time. The characters are horrible, not one likable one between them.

Who asked for this? I certainly didn't. When I heard of a proper Valkyria sequel and not one on a handheld console, I was pretty excited. I was hoping for Valkyria Chronicles with improved game play. That's all I wanted. I'm a simple man, fuck it, give me Uncharted 32: Drakes Bus Pass where the combat is him going around hitting young people with his cane, then I'd be perfectly happy. You do not need to reinvent the wheel to make people happy.

And finally, who the Hell at Sega thought this game was good enough to release? Thanks to this game, I doubt we'll see another Valkyria game and if there is, I doubt it will come out of Japan.

And now I've gone and made myself angry.

I lost most interest in this game when they revealed they weren't reusing the same style as the previous games and Raita wasn't the character designer. I'm still somewhat curious to try out the game, but not until it's much lower in price.

And I'm gonna repeat the general sentiment of "What the fuck are Sega doing?" The first game had its flaws, and while some were fixed in the sequels they still introduced others (going portable and downgrading the graphics was particularly annoying). This series has so much potential but Sega keep squandering it.

inu-kun:

Left wingers like us aren't allowed that privilege, remember? If we don't care for a design choice in that vein, we're imposing our feminist agenda, ect...

Lufia Erim:

Tanis:

As arbitrary as expecting every game that a bunch of strangers rate below 7 to be trash.

Lufia Erim:

Tanis:

Isn't that pretty much EVERY review system?

#/5 or #/10 or ###/100 or ?/E or ?/J or $%^&@/($^&>

All reviews are 'arbitrary as fuck' outside of that sites'/reviewers' system.

CaitSeith:

Lufia Erim:

Tanis:

As arbitrary as expecting every game that a bunch of strangers rate below 7 to be trash.

Tanis:

Lufia Erim:

Tanis:

Isn't that pretty much EVERY review system?

#/5 or #/10 or ###/100 or ?/E or ?/J or $%^&@/($^&>

All reviews are 'arbitrary as fuck' outside of that sites'/reviewers' system.

Ugh i sometimes forget how "internet cool" and "enlightened" escapists forums memebers like to pretend to be. It really says something when they sre the only ones left on this dying island.

I guarantee. They if i tell people, three different games are rated 4, 6 and 8 respectively, they will at all have a someone general idea of the quality of those three games. I I'm pretty sure their opinions won't be too far appart. Ratings don't date from yesterday, well all know what the general idea behind them are.

Now if mr.Special snowflake will enjoy the game is an entirely different matter, and thats what the words in the review are for. People like different things. But the quality of a game stays the same regardless of who plays it. A 4 doesn't magically turn into a 8 because, mr. Snowflake prefers to play as a female protagonist. And a 6 doesn't turn into a 2 because mr.Snowflake doesn't like Real time strategy.

I mean realistically. But again gamers like to do everything backwards.

Didn't play it, is the story still as anime cliche riddled and "why racism is bad" as depicted by Sesame Street as the first one?

Lufia Erim:
three different games are rated 4, 6 and 8 respectively

Rated by who? Because there doesn't exist a standard procedure for rating games, the same game can (and has had) scores of 4, 6 and 8 at the same time (and it isn't due Mr.StrawmanSnowflake). I ain't saying scores aren't worth considering. I'm saying that they are too arbitrary to consider them a definitive measurement of quality (be it quality of games or quality of reviews)

inu-kun:

Smithnikov:

Zhukov:

Funny, I've seen barely any of that lately. I didn't bring it up when I was talking about how fucking stupid sexy Shelob is. Do you have any recent examples?

erttheking:

inu-kun:

Smithnikov:

Funny, I've seen barely any of that lately. I didn't bring it up when I was talking about how fucking stupid sexy Shelob is. Do you have any recent examples?

*sigh*, Why the insistence of recent example? I don't think I even commented on your thread. The whole insistence of a certain group here of diverting the topic to politics and ignore anything actually said is bad enough already.

God, all the potential with Valkyria Chronicles franchise and they keep fucking it up so badly. How hard is it to stick to the same style as the first one?

God bless Raita though.

Whitbane:
God, all the potential with Valkyria Chronicles franchise and they keep fucking it up so badly. How hard is it to stick to the same style as the first one?

Its certainly true that sticking to the tried and true formula can make a game fun and engaging, even if they do weird, stereotypical things with the story, as Valkyria Chronicles GX... er... I mean, VC2, can attest. I'd hoped the return to console games would mean a return to form... I passed on this one when it was revealed to be a musou-like... I love musou games, but I gotta be in the right mood to play one.

inu-kun:

erttheking:

inu-kun:

*sigh*, Why the insistence of recent example? I don't think I even commented on your thread. The whole insistence of a certain group here of diverting the topic to politics and ignore anything actually said is bad enough already.

Because I'm really struggling to remember the last time anyone said anything like that. I know you didn't comment, but it doesn't take a neurosurgeon to realize that I'm considered to be part of the "other people" here, and I don't like being accused of things I didn't do. That's the only reason I replied to that post. You'll notice I left a proper post on the game itself, asking if the story was just as pathetic as the first game's story. So yeah, I'm not diverting the topic, hell im replying to what you brought up, I'm still waiting for a reply to that post.

Valkyria Chronicles still pissed me off. I quite liked the whole "definitely not WW2" thing they had going on, and I could look past the weird weapons, or massive tanks or whatever, but I lost a lot of interest when suddenly there were ancient ruins of a bygone civilisation, and magical girls.

Cant the Japanese keep something straightforward for once?

Zhukov:

inu-kun:

Oh, oh, so now one can object to sexualized character designs on aesthetic grounds without being a raging puritan.

It's only acceptable to criticise breasts if you come from a certain... ideology. You know, the left is always and forever wrong, so even when the right agrees with left, they are still wrong.

Smithnikov:
Left wingers like us aren't allowed that privilege, remember? If we don't care for a design choice in that vein, we're imposing our feminist agenda, ect...

Currently in a Australia, we are doing a vote/non vote for same sex marriage. Today, a person on the right was talking about how we just need a civil debate, stating that the left were all delicate flowers and couldn't handle people have ideas different from them. Then he commented how disgusting and vile the comments from the left were and finished off reiterating that he was disappointed that there wasn't much civil debate. He literally cant see that insulting people might be related to the civil debate thing.

Sorry that didn't have much to do with what you were saying, just needed to get it off my chest.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here