Not keen on this secret of mana remake

This was one of my favourites as a child, so I was quite excited to hear it was being remade, but I just watched some footage... I'm not sold on what I've seen.

The voice acting is spoiling it for me - the voices are all wrong and poorly acted. Also why have they put American slang in the dialogue now? Urgh! Actually, I'm not that keen on the visuals either - it looks like a shoddy mobile game. The music seems fine though and the gameplay looks untouched.

Think I'll stick to the original.

Not keen isn't too bad. I despise it, along with all the other ports they've done of old bit art games into whatever that atrocious mess they've cobbled together for phone remakes/crappy PC ports.

I mean, I can understand updating the graphics. I'm not some old fart who demands everything stay in it's 'perfect' pixel version with no attempts to update it. But seriously, it looks terrible.

I'm playing it in Japanese so the voice issue will be remedied.

I never played the original but I was always aware of it, it just was one of those things that skipped my radar. Now I finally will give the series a go.

As long as grinding is fixed I'll still enjoy it. Never got to play the original.

The original was amazing. I beat it with my friends a good 5 times, bouncing between 2 and 3 player. Theres been nothing quite like it since.

bjj hero:
The original was amazing. I beat it with my friends a good 5 times, bouncing between 2 and 3 player. Theres been nothing quite like it since.

Are you going to bother with this remake?

dscross:

bjj hero:

Im not as keen now. It will not be the same as a single player game and now Im older Id struggle to run through it local co op. We all have lives and families now.

Which platforms will it be on?

bjj hero:

dscross:

bjj hero:

Im not as keen now. It will not be the same as a single player game and now Im older Id struggle to run through it local co op. We all have lives and families now.

Which platforms will it be on?

PS4, Vita and PC. PC might add online through mods.

It looks absolutely terrible. Indeed like a phone game. The original still looks way better.

RaikuFA:

Ive recently lost access to my pc but am thinking about getting a ps4. Well see.

People still own vitas?

stroopwafel:
It looks absolutely terrible. Indeed like a phone game. The original still looks way better.

Bbbut mobull gamez r teh fewchure!!!!

RaikuFA:
As long as grinding is fixed I'll still enjoy it. Never got to play the original.

WOrd! The grinding in that game was atrocious.
ANd yeah OP, that's the problem with voices in silent protagonists. The text allows you to imagine and reality is never as good as imagination.

Looks like a cheap 3DS remake, this saddens me greatly given the originals stature. Would be nice to get the sequel proper in the West.

RaikuFA:

Help me understand this post. As long as [something that never deterred me because I never played it] is fixed I'll enjoy it?

Eh, my tastes have changed vastly since it first came out, it's not something I would have bothered with no matter how well they did it. However, I now know what to get my sister for her next birthday, unless she buys it first.

MonsterCrit:
WOrd! The grinding in that game was atrocious.

I had no concept of grinding before playing Secret of Mana. I got to the Spiky Tiger and got beaten again and again and again and again...so much rage. I had no idea I was too low a level and had to go and kill loads of boring ass shit for xp.

bjj hero:

RaikuFA:

Ive recently lost access to my pc but am thinking about getting a ps4. Well see.

People still own vitas?

In Japan that thing is still going strong.

bjj hero:
People still own vitas?

I still get a lot of use out of mine, but then I'm a horrible JRPG nerd.

I'm mixed on this remake, honestly. On the one hand, cool to see a full-3D remake of a classic 2D game. On the other hand, if they don't actually finish the damn game this time (there was an article on this very site detailing how more than half of the intended game ended up being cut due to cartridge space limits, and yeah, when I played it, it definitely felt really unfinished), I probably won't bother.

RaikuFA:

bjj hero:

RaikuFA:

People still own vitas?

In Japan that thing is still going strong.

Everyday is an education.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here