NES Mini is back in production

Pages 1 2 NEXT

ORIGINAL STORY 10.10am: The much sought after NES mini is back in production, Nintendo has just announced.

Nintendo Japan made the announcement minutes ago. We're clarifying with Nintendo here in the UK whether more stock will reach these shores.

The announcement was made via Nintendo's Japanese Twitter account. According to our own translation, it reads:

"Nintendo has decided to restart production of the Famicom Mini in 2018. We will announce sale dates at a later time."

UPDATE 10.50am: Nintendo UK has now confirmed the NES mini will return to shops here next summer. Not only that, but an increase in production of SNES mini will see the microconsole on sale through Christmas and into 2018.

"We're happy to confirm that we'll continue to ship stock of the Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo Entertainment System to Europe in 2018," a Nintendo spokesperson told Eurogamer. "In addition, next summer we'll also bring the Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System back to Europe. More information will be shared in the future."

According to Business Wire, sales of the NES mini will also resume in North America, where it will return to sale next summer.

Nintendo will of course be selling the SNES mini too - and recently said not to buy the microconsole at an inflated price from eBay as it had increased its production to meet high demand.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-09-12-nintendo-announces-nes-mini-is-back-in-production

double post.

Well, that should make a lot of people happy, I guess.

DefunctTheory:

i doubt it. people will just keep whinging about the so called "artificial scarcity" that they think should never have happened in the first place regardless of Nintendo taking steps to fix the problem now.

they'll just use "too little too late" or something along those lines as their excuse for not buying one now.

Yeah, I'm going to wait and see just how effective a measure this is. Remember when they said the SNES mini wouldn't have the same supply problems?

*cough* but to fill the mold, Nintendo's artificial scarcity is a bullshit strategy that should never have happened in the first place and it's too little too late for them to build up goodwill with me now.

(Note: I was never going to buy one of these anyway, I just find news about Nintendo amusing)

TrulyBritish:

(Note: I was never going to buy one of these anyway, I just find news about Nintendo amusing)

I suspect the reason they can 'get away' with this is because there isn't a lot of overlap between people who get upset about dumb corporate strategies and people willing to buy decade old games for the quintilionth time on a drug store level glorified cable nest maker.

Yoshi178:

DefunctTheory:

i doubt it. people will just keep whinging about the so called "artificial scarcity" that they think should never have happened in the first place regardless of Nintendo taking steps to fix the problem now.

they'll just use "too little too late" or something along those lines as their excuse for not buying one now.

Yeah, God forbid that people end up being frustrated with Nintendo not being able to meet demand for years.

And I'm not holding my breath on things being any better this time around.

erttheking:

Yoshi178:

DefunctTheory:

Yeah, God forbid that people end up being frustrated with Nintendo not being able to meet demand for years.

And I'm not holding my breath on things being any better this time around.

how dare they do you want and will not only keep releasing SNES mini's into 2018, but they're bringing back the NES Mini too that you complained about them stopping production on originally

So, 2019 will be the year when people can actually buy an SNES Classic?

I really doubt that they'd pass on the chance to pull an artificial scarcity tactic on the SNES. Even if they say they're making more, they're still counting on "unprecedented demand" (whatever that means) to keep it out of people's hands but in their minds... so that those on the fence buy next round.

I don't care too much about the NES (I may be old, but I was stuck on an Atari at the time, and the NES was a retro system by the time I finally got one) so I'm probably still going to pass.

I do want the SNES, though. It was a somewhat old system by the time I finally got one back in the day, but I've still got plenty of good memories from that system.

Though I just find it funny and sad that the similar Sega flashback system is so much more widely available but a much worse product due to poor emulation (well, assuming that the SNES Classic's emulation is on par with the NES Classic.) I'd definitely want a Genesis Classic... if it were any good.

TrulyBritish:
Yeah, I'm going to wait and see just how effective a measure this is. Remember when they said the SNES mini wouldn't have the same supply problems?

*cough* but to fill the mold, Nintendo's artificial scarcity is a bullshit strategy that should never have happened in the first place and it's too little too late for them to build up goodwill with me now.

This kinda proves the point about manufactured scarcity, creating demand for a novelty product by dosifying supply.

gsilver:

Though I just find it funny and sad that the similar Sega flashback system is so much more widely available but a much worse product due to poor emulation

it's almost as if things tend to sit on the shelf and become more available when no one wants the product.

Yoshi178:
Snip

Read what I said. I didn't say it was bad they were doing this. I said that things weren't going to be any better this time. Because Nintendo said that the SNES Classic would be better than the NES Classic, and that turned out to be a load of crap. So I have very little faith in Nintendo to handle this properly. Faith in Nintendo has been shot to hell for a lot of people, not everyone is as diehard loyal to the company as you are.

DefunctTheory:

TrulyBritish:

I suspect the reason they can 'get away' with this is because there isn't a lot of overlap between people who get upset about dumb corporate strategies and people willing to buy decade old games for the quintilionth time on a drug store level glorified cable nest maker.

It's kind of sad to think that this bullshit will probably pay out for Nintendo (provided that they haven't only just decided to make more due to all the angry feedback), but considering people seem to still be falling for Publisher Hype and preordering I can't say I have much faith in gamers as a consumer base.

Johnny Novgorod:

TrulyBritish:

This kinda proves the point about manufactured scarcity, creating demand for a novelty product by dosifying supply.

At least it makes a bit more sense now, seeing as they're actually producing more to sell now.

erttheking:

Yoshi178:
Snip

Read what I said. I didn't say it was bad they were doing this. I said that things weren't going to be any better this time. Because Nintendo said that the SNES Classic would be better than the NES Classic, and that turned out to be a load of crap. So I have very little faith in Nintendo to handle this properly.

how do you know it's a load of crap? the SNES mini hasn't even released yet.

you know for a fact that that because the SNES mini first shipment preorders sold out pretty much immediately it automatically means Nintendo was full of crap and didn't produce more SNES mini units for launch than they did with the NES mini do you? initial sales numbers of the snes mini will tell us if they were "full of crap" in that department or not. just because you missed out on preordering one of the systems in the first shipment does not mean Nintendo was giving us a "load of crap".

and Nintendo has given us a much more clear expectation this time on how long these systems will be produced for ad have already extended that production time frame even before the system launches. that's already much better than they handled the NES mini launch last year.

Yoshi178:
Snip

*Looks at the absolute clusterfuck that has been trying to pre-order a SNES Classic* Call it a hunch.

Uh, yeah, pretty much. When someone says things are going to be different from the first time, and then things start looking exactly like the first time, faith is not strong.

I'll believe it when I see it.

erttheking:

Yoshi178:
Snip

*Looks at the absolute clusterfuck that has been trying to pre-order a SNES Classic* Call it a hunch.

Uh, yeah, pretty much. When someone says things are going to be different from the first time, and then things start looking exactly like the first time, faith is not strong.

I'll believe it when I see it.

alot of people want to get their hands on a popular item out of fear it will become a rarity. holy crap.

can't imagine why there would ever be a "clusterfuck", as you say, of people scrambling to get their preorder's in.

literally happens whenever anything popular comes out PS4 released. there was a "clusterfuck". PS4 Pro released. "clusterfuck. PS VR released "clusterfuck".

pre orders selling out fast isn't in anyway a Nintendo exclusive thing.

DefunctTheory:

Not really. Just a clever angle to keep themselves looking relevant. They deliberately underproduce to make it look like they're doing really well. and to make people feel they have to rush and buy one nao!

Honestly, it's rather sad that people keep falling for this.

Yoshi178:
literally happens whenever anything popular comes out PS4 released. there was a "clusterfuck". PS4 Pro released. "clusterfuck. PS VR released "clusterfuck".

Really?

The standard PS4 maybe, and that was only in the first few months of its release. The Pro and PS VR were readily available on launch. The NES Classic is still unavailable, with the only reassurance that they're bringing out a new batch next summer. And obviously the SNES Classic is going down the same path.

Even the Switch, which is very popular right now, is easy to grab on store shelves. This is Nintendo either being woefully ignorant, incredibly incompetent, or downright sleazy.

My other SNES classic is a Raspberry Pi.

RaikuFA:

good for you. some of us actually like to support game developers so they can you know, keep making games we like.

Casual Shinji:

Yoshi178:

Really?

The standard PS4 maybe, and that was only in the first few months of its release. The Pro and PS VR were readily available on launch. The NES Classic is still unavailable, with the only reassurance that they're bringing out a new batch next summer. And obviously the SNES Classic is going down the same path.

Even the Switch, which is very popular right now, is easy to grab on store shelves. This is Nintendo either being woefully ignorant, incredibly incompetent, or downright sleazy.

yeah when literally 3000 japanese people line up at one single store to hopefully be one of the lucky few to get one of the 105 Switch consoles they had in stock at store, then you know for sure that Switch couldn't possibly be popular and the stock shortage is based entirely around "artificial scarcity".

Yoshi178:

There's a significant difference between a major console release that will eventually catch up to demand, and a 'console' being marketed as a gaming platform and sold as a collectible.

Yoshi178:

yeah when literally 3000 japanese people line up at one single store to hopefully be one of the lucky few to get one of the 105 Switch consoles they had in stock at store, then you know for sure that Switch couldn't possibly be popular and the stock shortage is based entirely around "artificial scarcity".

It's not a conspiracy, it's basic manufacturing - Over-investing in manufacturing early on may meet initial demands, but then you're burning money later on when demand falls. Under-investing early on means some people get screwed out early, but eventually everyone will get their piece and everything will be ok.

And that's to say nothing about risk management. It's better for a company to under-produce early than it is to over produce and end up with a massive stockpile with no customers, in the case where they over-estimate their sales.

Yoshi178:

Uhm, I said the Switch is popular, probably as if not more popular than the NES/SNES Classic, yet its shortage problems are pretty much gone. I go to any major retailers and I can pick up a Switch right now. Guess what I can't pick up despite Nintendo apparently doing everything they can to meet demand?

DefunctTheory:

Yoshi178:

There's a significant difference between a major console release that will eventually catch up to demand, and a 'console' being marketed as a gaming platform and sold as a collectible.

Yoshi178:

It's not a conspiracy, it's basic manufacturing - Over-investing in manufacturing early on may meet initial demands, but then you're burning money later on when demand falls. Under-investing early on means some people get screwed out early, but eventually everyone will get their piece and everything will be ok.

And that's to say nothing about risk management. It's better for a company to under-produce early than it is to over produce and end up with a massive stockpile with no customers, in the case where they over-estimate their sales.

the artificial scarcity might be true, and i emphasize the word MIGHT, be true. but only to some extent.

having literally 3000 people line up at one store hoping to get one your consoles isn't anything that any company would or should ever expect to happen. no that just means you've made a good product and that it's bloody popular.

Yoshi178:

RaikuFA:

good for you. some of us actually like to support game developers so they can you know, keep making games we like.

I would too if I could buy it. But as long as this artificial scarcity keeps happening I'm gonna just go for the more convenient option.

Plus I own about 2/3rd of the games on the damn thing.

Yoshi178:

RaikuFA:

Just playing devils advocate here, but what happens if you want a product and are willing to pay for a product but can't get it due to, say, it not being available for you to buy as they're immediately sold out?

I'm going to use a non Nintendo example here, but I like the music of the JAM project. Unfortunately for me (unless this has changed since I last checked), I can't buy their music here in the UK (I've just looked, and in order to buy, say, the intro song to One Punch Man I'd have to import a cd from Japan for ?12 (for one song!)). How then do I reasonably support an artist I like?

So they're planning on doing another run of 12 of the things?

Avnger:
So they're planning on doing another run of 12 of the things?

That's giving them too much credit. They'll make 1 and hide it with clues to its location whole making a documentary about it. Call it "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad Mario".

Casual Shinji:

Yoshi178:

Uhm, I said the Switch is popular, probably as if not more popular than the NES/SNES Classic, yet its shortage problems are pretty much gone. I go to any major retailers and I can pick up a Switch right now. Guess what I can't pick up despite Nintendo apparently doing everything they can to meet demand?

I'm glad it's doing better where you live, because the Switch situation is still fucked in the USA. I had to pre-order a bundle from Gamestop in order to get my hands on one of the bleeding things.

erttheking:
I'm glad it's doing better where you live, because the Switch situation is still fucked in the USA. I had to pre-order a bundle from Gamestop in order to get my hands on one of the bleeding things.

That might be because both America and Japan has a more crazed, sleeping-infront-of-the-store mentality when it comes to the newest games. Over here in the Netherlands we don't have lines infront of stores ever.

erttheking:

Casual Shinji:

Yoshi178:

Really? I got a bunch at my local Walmart.

I thought part of the point of preordering was so that the company would have a way to gauge what the interest in the product was and manufacturer enough to meet that demand.

So what is the point in limiting preorders? Surely that just creates false data on how popular an item could be.

When the NES Mini is back on shelves, if it stays at a decent price, I'm going to grab one. The NES was the first gaming machine that I bought with my own money, so it holds a special place in my gaming history.

votemarvel:
what is the point in limiting preorders?

probably because consumers would be even more pissed off if they put a pre order in, only to have it cancelled later if the supplier can't meet the demand.

then you'd get a mob of angry people giving the retailers shit too.

Yoshi178:

votemarvel:

probably because consumers would be even more pissed off if they put a pre order in, only to have it cancelled later if the supplier can't meet the demand.

But the point of the preorders is to know how many you should make surely?

Say for example 100000 people pre-order a NES Classic, Nintendo know to make at least that many.

votemarvel:

Yoshi178:

votemarvel:

But the point of the preorders is to know how many you should make surely?

Say for example 100000 people pre-order a NES Classic, Nintendo know to make at least that many.

no the point of preorders is to ensure yourself a copy of a game on release.

from the game developers point of view, yeah, the point is help Developers know how much demand for their product there is. and that's the keyword there, to pont is to HELP the developers work out the demand for their product. it's not like the company makes a game and then goes "ok guys! here's the announcement a billion have now people pre ordered so we're going to magically pump out a billion copies in 5 minutes!"

videogame production does take awhile and they can only produce so many copies of the software or consoles at any one time. shocking i know.

preorders help the developers know if there's lots of demand for the product, and also how much stock they should allocate to each different region and individual retail stores.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here