Never Enough "FUCK YOUS" For Bethesda

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

In order to get a mode that was a free update to FO4 you need to shell out at least $15 to get the intentionally dickishly priced Survival Mode for Skyrim. The 800 "credit" price point was not an accident, they couldn't have accidentally made it just 50 points above what the cheapest pack of microtransaction motherfuckery gets you. So you are going to have to fork over 1/4 of the original price of the game to get what was a free update in FO4. They put the two Doom items for FO4 (Armor and BFG) at the same price point and for the very same reason.

So Fuckthesda is committing suicide and I'll be glad to see them die honestly.

I'm not even surprised. The video game industry is run by used car salesmen and ambulance chasing lawyers.

It's horse armor all over again.

Eh, they'll be a mod that does it better for free soon, if there isn't one already.

Well Bethesda sure are making it easy for me to maintain my boycott of their stuff.

Download Campfire, Frostfall, iNeed: food water and sleep, and two mods that are very likely out there for lower carrying capacity and no health regen and you have the same thing. All for free. Heck, if you want more challenge you can add Wildcat to that for better and more challenging combat.

I'm wondering how successful this creation club actually is. No matter what they call it, it's literally paid mods. Not only that, but it's paid mods for mods you could already get for free from nexus. Are people actually buying this stuff? Are people really that stupid?

Just get that survival mod, something about frost or cold.
Ah, Frostfall. Almost 3 million downloads, and it won't cost you a penny.

sanquin:
Are people actually buying this stuff? Are people really that stupid?

I imagine there are, Bethesda is one of those companies that has built up a fairly rabid fanbase. I mean, this is probably putting a lot of faith in Bethesda, but I imagine the Creation Club would have been pulled by now if it wasn't getting anything.

OT: You know how you expect someone to do something but then they surprise you by going a step further? This is one of those times. Really trying to get the money from people's wallets.

Wait, Skyrim and FO4 have microtransactions now?

One thing I couldn't help but remember when I watched this video. Butthesda gives you 100 free points, don't they? So this can cost the low tier of 8 bucks, but still, fuck em. This whole situation is garbage. It's ensured that I will never install FO4 or skyrim ever again.

And people give me shit for hating on Bethesda. THIS is why. The Stockholm Syndrome is real.

gigastar:
Wait, Skyrim and FO4 have microtransactions now?

Only if you want to pay for mods, yeah.
As that's what this all is, it's just paid mods under a different skin and name.

You see now why I fucking hate corporations. You say they're committing suicide, but you know people are going to buy it and that's why these fuckwad companies can get away with this shit.

They said they wouldn't just replicate things that modders have already done, but it seems like that is basically all that they have done. That and a joke about horse armor that really seems to betray a lack of self awareness.

Yeah fuck Bethesda for this! Fallout had it! And where are my guns in Skyrim? Huh? Fallout had those too! And I wanna summon Deathclaws, gimme Deathclaws in Skyrim Bethesda, cause Fallout had it. And traditional leveling systems, and voice acting, and an MMO that never came out..

Bethesda; thinking we're stupid enough to pay for an inferior mod when we can get a superior one, and have been for years, for free.

Edit to Console Users: Damn, this has gotta feel like a slap in the face, but all the more reason to come join the mustard race, jah? :)

So a for profit company doing things to increase profits...

In other news... a baseball player plays baseball!

...Bethesda, what are you doing.

Yes, please offer what iNeeds and a few other mods already offer for 15 freakin' bucks, and see how most smart people will stick to the free mods that are probably way better anyway.

All we need now is for the board of directors to scratch their heads and go "I don't get it! We offer them the same thing that mods do in a nice safe environment and they won't pay for it! Those mods are now literally cutting into our profits! Shut them down! ...Oh my god why are people suddenly furious at us? We're giving them what they want! It's not our fault they just want everything for free! ...Oh, people aren't buying our games anymore? I guess that means there's no market for RPGs anymore, let's go remake fallout shelter a hundred times and tap into the mobile market!" and the train will have ridden off the rails and into the canyon. :(

Kerg3927:

Skyrim unmodded offers hundreds of hours more game than most games that dont even have modding.

Id rather they work on TESVI than modding Skyrim. Should be more people complaining that they arent adding survival to Oblivion or Morrowind...or Arena.

Jesus fucking Christ Bethesda. Are you even trying anymore? What the fuck is this horseshit?

Paid mods are bullshit. Their paid mods are even more bullshit.

Im getting Metro LL Ranger mode PTSD all over again.

Bethesda haven't made a good game since Oblivion, anyway.

Smithnikov:
Bethesda; thinking we're stupid enough to pay for an inferior mod when we can get a superior one, and have been for years, for free.

Edit to Console Users: Damn, this has gotta feel like a slap in the face, but all the more reason to come join the mustard race, jah? :)

The crazy thing is that they're right.

Kerg3927:

It's not an issue of them charging money for something. It's an issue of them charging money for something that was available for free in another one of their games. ...also available for free in this game by modders.

Canadamus Prime:

Smithnikov:

Kerg3927:

It's not an issue of them charging money for something. It's an issue of them charging money for something that was available for free in another one of their games. ...also available for free in this game by modders.

I'm not seeing the big deal here, either. To me a whole new game mode is something that I can see having some development costs that they would want to recoup. The fact that some people would be dumb enough to buy it when there are other better free mods shouldn't be held against Bethesda

This ain't the same as horse armor

So, 15 bucks to turn Skyrim into Fallout: New Vegas?

Or, I could...

Seriously though, Bethesda, bite me. The pricing is ridiculous, what you're selling is absurd, and the whole system you've made is garbage.

And the fact it's probably working out for you is infuriating.

.... Bethesda stop, the hell are you guys doing?? ... No, Bethesda- no bad company! BAD! You're making EA actually look good in comparison! Stop being greedy as hell by charging money for a mod when we can collect superior mods that do the same thing for free! STOP IT MAN!!

The shocking thing about this is that people are still playing Skyrim. I was thinking about buying that re-release/remaster/whatever that came out awhile back, but it had been so long since I'd played the original that it's likely I wouldn't notice the difference anyway. I can't seem to care any less about paid mods. It's actually easier for me to not buy something than it is for me to buy it so paid mods actually end up saving me time.

I guess there's not much that I get worked up about anymore, though.

Not quite OT, but just in case anyone wants it...

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/26956/?

It won't restore your .exe to pre creation club, but it will back up whatever you have now automatically, so if you do accidentally autopatch Bethesda's new round of bullshit, you won't have to wait for a new version of F4SE to come out and then hope it doesn't bork half your mods, you can just revert back to your old exe.

DrownedAmmet:

Canadamus Prime:

Smithnikov:

Kerg3927:

I'm not seeing the big deal here, either. To me a whole new game mode is something that I can see having some development costs that they would want to recoup. The fact that some people would be dumb enough to buy it when there are other better free mods shouldn't be held against Bethesda

This ain't the same as horse armor

I do see the big deal. It is a dick move to charge for a game mode that they made available for free in another title. However it doesn't do any good to get pissed about it if you're going to buy it anyway.

I know le PC master race meme isn't actually serious, but by Jove it really ought to be. Actually no, PC gamers shouldn't be the master race - just the baseline. Saying that PC gamers are the master race is like surrounding yourself with dwarves and calling yourself a giant.

I'm super serial here by the way. Console gaming is an absolute blight. I used to buy into the, "It's just personal preference you guys!" meme, but that's implying that we're talking about apples and oranges and not oranges that are really just apples from several seasons ago but carefully stitched within the peels of oranges and then sold by different companies at the same time every few years after being altered just a little and for similar prices.

Can anyone provide a rational explanation for console generations beginning and ending around the same time, consoles being similarly priced, and having around the same level of technology as each other - a reason that isn't pure coincidence? Not to mention console hardware is always behind the times. You'd think Sony or Microsoft would try to one-up each other by striking deals with Nvidia or Radeon to buy tons of recent chips, saving money on such massive bulk orders, and then making their consoles as amazing as they could. Yet instead they still treat 60 fps like the space program. If that's not purposeful collusion between the two companies in order to artificially extend their arbitrary console generations and by the same token, charge the same price for games on consoles as on PC despite the former using weaker tech, then I don't know what to call it. Let's just call it unethical right now - highly unethical.

And of course they stress the tired out myth that consoles are wholly different kinds of machines, different from one another and definitely not just PC's in different plastic cases.

I'd even be okay with their shenanigans if it wasn't holding back the PC gaming industry. Thanks to the console ghetto, PC devs have to play by console rules and scale things down or waste time on console ports that could have been spent on optimization.

Not to mention it exhorts companies like Bethesda to play silly buggers of this magnitude.

Caramel Frappe:
.... Bethesda stop, the hell are you guys doing?? ... No, Bethesda- no bad company! BAD! You're making EA actually look good in comparison! Stop being greedy as hell by charging money for a mod when we can collect superior mods that do the same thing for free! STOP IT MAN!!

How? How is this making EA look good? Like really how? Most of the people mad here are just sounding beyond spoiled, but this? Really?

Let me know when Skyrim 2018 comes out, but you have to pay extra for access to Riften, Windhelm, and Markarth.

Aren't these already in other mods and alot more detailed with more items for free

Bethesda has always sucked, releasing half finished games for the world's modders to fix, and then receiving all the credit for it. The day people realize that Bethesda is full of hacks is the day the gaming industry improves just a little.

The Valve disease is occurring in Rockstar as well, when's the last time they had single player DLC...

Pretty disgusting, it's also disgusting that people don't see this as a big deal and actually defends it.

Anyone wondering where I stand on this, I can tell you in one simple line:

I don't even use mods.

It IS stupid, but it's sort of like people talking about Gamergate. It had nothing to do with anything I was doing.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here