SNES Classic. Once again, no one can get it

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The SNES classic came out today. Guess what's already out of stock? After all that build up of Nintendo promising that this time would be different...absolutely fuck all has changed. Amazon? Sold out (unless you feel comfortable paying two hundred dollars for an eighty dollar machine.) Best Buy? Sold out. Walmart? Can't even find anything on it being there. Ebay? Well at the time of writing, that has the best deal with 155 bucks. That' s the situation we're in. The "best deal" is nearly twice the asking price of the system.

Jesus Fucking Christ Nintendo, do you just hate money? Or do you get some kind of sexual thrill out of dangling something people want right in front of them?

Seriously, the only way this could possibly make sense is that all the scalpers selling their SNES classics on Ebay secretly work for Nintendo.

erttheking:

Seriously, the only way this could possibly make sense is that all the scalpers selling their SNES classics on Ebay secretly work for Nintendo.

You know what, that really wouldn't surprise me.

My store had sixty seven in stock. That right there is a MASSIVE improvement of the ten NES Classics that we got throughout the entire run. The Best Buy that my friend works at had over 100 in stock.

So yeah, Nintendo did to better this time. Everyone who was lined up outside my store before it opened was able to get one. Granted, they were all gone within half an hour, but it was better. And odds are, we will be getting more in stock, much more often than the NES. So I'm going to hold off judgement for the time being and say that, at least at brick and mortar stores, they've done better. We will see if this continues though.

I think online has such a shortage problem because EVERYONE goes to online sites to get theirs. You're not competing with just people in your area. You're competing with people in your entire country. Harder to get one.

By all accounts, people who wanted to be there at store opening to get one got one just fine. However the units did sell out so if you overslept or have a job, you are basically SOL for the moment. Let's hope they follow through with quick restocks.

I sympathize with your frustration, seeing how I felt the same with the NES Classic.
And FUCK Nintendo for all this bullshit manufactured scarcity rigmarole.

That said, my SNES Classic arrived today, so I'm pretty happy right now. My fianc? discovered a restock at a major retailer a couple of months back, so we capitalized on that incredible stroke of luck.
Seeing how I'm the big gamer of the household and she was so on top of the situation to actually be able to snag one of these rare things, she has openly resolved to never stop feeling smug about that. ^^

Considering how many units Nintendo is manufacturing and shipping out, and how fast they're selling out, there must be Classic Minis bursting out of people's chimneys by now.

Right?

Man, I feel like I shouldn't have gone drinking last night since the stores got a bunch more. I literally used it as an excuse to not go out hunting one.

Does Nintendo hate money? Of course not.
Does Nintendo have a terminal case of inertia that afflicts a lot of other Japanese companies? Most assuredly.

stores have been given extra stock where i live that weren't avaliable for preorder.

where i live you can actually just walk in and buy one. at least at the moment you can.

I walked into the local Walmart and bought one. When I got there they still had 40 of them sitting in a stack. That's more than the local Walmart got total of the NES classic.

Maybe if you weren't looking exclusively online you wouldn't be having a problem.

asinann:
I walked into the local Walmart and bought one. When I got there they still had 40 of them sitting in a stack. That's more than the local Walmart got total of the NES classic.

Maybe if you weren't looking exclusively online you wouldn't be having a problem.

nah nah man. OP can't find one so things all around the world are EXACTLY the same as last time.

There were 100 of them at the Target that I went to and 50 people in line.
They did sell out, but anyone who really cared was able to get one with minimal hassle. You could waltz right in there and get one at 8:30.

Sniper Team 4:
My store had sixty seven in stock.

asinann:
I walked into the local Walmart and bought one. When I got there they still had 40 of them sitting in a stack.

gsilver:

Pretty much proof that OP looked in all the wrong places. MANY people will online order these days for convenience, so of course it's gonna sell out everywhere. If you actually go to a store you probably would've found plenty. It's like how people keep whining about there being no Switches anywhere. I dunno what the situation is everywhere else, but everywhere I've gone to I've seen plenty in all stores like Best Buy, Walmart, etc. And not just in my town, but several others, and I live in a small town too.

Sounds like OP just wants to yell at Nintendo for a day one sellout and scream "SEE?! IT'S THE SAME AS LAST TIME!" all while ignoring that the stock for the thing was a lot stronger than before. It sold out nearly as fast, but at least more people got it this time around. What do you expect them to do? Ship out 10 million all at once?

Elvis Starburst:
Snip

More likely that there are exceptions to the rule, but that they do not exactly disprove the rule. It would be more logical to see something repeated and stated that a repeated thing is happening again because prior experience would call that the safe bet. Even with exceptions as noted (though possibly embellished), it still proves that an unstable and slipshod business plan that refuses to supply things properly is in use. In order for the OP to be wrong, most of the country would have to be properly supplied with Sness Classics, or at least half to prove that Nintendo is actually trying. These are not complicated instruments. They can produce them, supply them, and make the lucrative monies, but they don't. OP is yelling at Nintendo for being a dick. No more, no less.

Seems like they did indeed produce more but even if stores are getting a hundred, if they are selling out quickly and getting no new stock, they are still under-supplying them. Even if it is by less than last time.

It seems like a step in the right direction but I feel as though this will still end up being of little solace to those who don't have the time or ability to just wait around for their local Best Buy to open. Some of us have jobs or familial obligations, after all..

Give it a couple weeks and we'll see for sure if things have really improved or not. If shops start getting stock with somewhat regularity we can maybe then say they got it right.

EDIT: and it would have been really nice if eBay had stuck to their guns and just eliminated preorders altogether. Scalpers are part of why prices get driven up. There probably would have been no takers this time except it was basically impossible to gauge if stores would sell out or not upon release since all Nintendo gave were vague promises to make more, which could mean fucking anything. And we all know how reliable promises from video game companies are anyhow.

Chewster:
It seems like a step in the right direction but I feel as though this will still end up being of little solace to those who don't have the time or ability to just wait around for their local Best Buy to open. Some of us have jobs or familial obligations, after all..

What should they expect Nintendo to cater their every single whim now or something?

it's not Nintendo's job to solve every one of their consumers miniscule problems. lots of us have full time jobs too. nor do we have time to go sit in front of a retail store at 5:00am in the morning, but somehow we still manage to get these limited edition items despite having jobs and family obligations.

that's just a poor excuse people use when they don't bother to put the time or the effort into getting these highly sought after items. to those people i say "tough luck".

Chewster:

Give it a couple weeks and we'll see for sure if things have really improved or not. If shops start getting stock with somewhat regularity we can maybe then say they got it right.

Why should we? Why should we give it a couple of weeks?
when the NES Mini launch Nintendo underestimated just how much people would actually want that thing and it was pretty much impossible for people around the globe to get an NES Mini on day one.

as several people in here have already been saying, stock is still selling out, but it definitely has been much easier to walk into a store and find stock of the SNES mini on Day one this time so that in itself is already literally an improvement over the situation that happened last year.

erttheking:
The SNES classic came out today. Guess what's already out of stock? After all that build up of Nintendo promising that this time would be different...absolutely fuck all has changed. Amazon? Sold out (unless you feel comfortable paying two hundred dollars for an eighty dollar machine.) Best Buy? Sold out. Walmart? Can't even find anything on it being there. Ebay? Well at the time of writing, that has the best deal with 155 bucks. That' s the situation we're in. The "best deal" is nearly twice the asking price of the system.

Jesus Fucking Christ Nintendo, do you just hate money? Or do you get some kind of sexual thrill out of dangling something people want right in front of them?

Where do you live? There's a rumor that store companies are limiting stock on systems in poorer areas to prevent theft and loss.

asinann:

Oh yes, because when I cited Wallmart and Best Buy, I totally wasn't checking local stores.

Don't assume.

Yoshi178:

asinann:

nah nah man. OP can't find one so things all around the world are EXACTLY the same as last time.

That goes double for you.

Elvis Starburst:

Sniper Team 4:
My store had sixty seven in stock.

asinann:
I walked into the local Walmart and bought one. When I got there they still had 40 of them sitting in a stack.

gsilver:

Pretty much proof that OP looked in all the wrong places. MANY people will online order these days for convenience, so of course it's gonna sell out everywhere. If you actually go to a store you probably would've found plenty. It's like how people keep whining about there being no Switches anywhere. I dunno what the situation is everywhere else, but everywhere I've gone to I've seen plenty in all stores like Best Buy, Walmart, etc. And not just in my town, but several others, and I live in a small town too.

Sounds like OP just wants to yell at Nintendo for a day one sellout and scream "SEE?! IT'S THE SAME AS LAST TIME!" all while ignoring that the stock for the thing was a lot stronger than before. It sold out nearly as fast, but at least more people got it this time around. What do you expect them to do? Ship out 10 million all at once?

And thrice for you. I also checked local stores for a Switch and I couldn't find that either. The retailers I asked even said that they had a history of Nintendo under supplying them. Maybe it's a New England thing, but Nintendo sucks at stocking here.

I think that, after the flop that was the Wii U, Nintendo is cautious about making too many units, just in case they don't sell.
Their current model seems to be to make some, wait until they sell out and then make more.
I don't blame them, the hardware business is very unpredictable, better safe than sorry.

Amiibos, mini NES, mini SNES.

Once is an event, twice is a coincidence, thrice is a pattern.

It seems to me that Nintendo believes manufactured scarcity is equal to hype. "They really want our products! That's a good thing!"

Vanilla ISIS:
I don't blame them, the hardware business is very unpredictable, better safe than sorry.

Given that the hardware used for the SNES and NES is identical, hardware investment doesn't seem likely to be the issue.

Even odds the inevitable and hard to find N64 Classic will use the same board as well.

Myria:

Even odds the inevitable and hard to find N64 Classic will use the same board as well.

Myria:
inevitable N64 Classic

i'm not so sure about that. alot of the titles that gave the N64 the legacy it has were made by Rare.

since Donkey Kong Country is on the SNES classic it shouldn't be difficult getting DK64 on there but i HIGHLY doubt Microsoft would be ok with letting Nintendo put something like Banjo-Kazooie on an N64 classic. that was one of the systems biggest games and is constantly compared to Mario 64 all the time by fans.

No. No, nope, nein.

NONE of you, are actually surprised that the SNES Classic is difficult to obtain. As has been noted multiple times in the posts above, at this point is a staple of Big N's practices to drip feed a teeny tiny minuscule amount of product to people.

And since we all know this to be the case, since this has been proven to be as consistent as gravity... Why the thread? Why the posts?

Did you post yesterday that you woke up and still had to pay taxes?

No?????

Then why post about the obvious obviousness of Nintendo failing to produce and ship the required number of units of... Well, anything. At all?

Because the opposite of "forced scarcity" is "forced outrage". That's why. Your inner troll decided someone (and definitely that someone was you) needed to post about this, since it's a thing you 'should' be outraged over.

Stop doing things, just because you have a vague feeling that you 'should', and especially, stop being "angry" because of something you knew full well was going to be a thing.

(I think the Pitch Perfect sequel is going to suck. I'm fairly well informed that it probably will. I'm NOT waiting here, with a wordpad document full of manufactured outrage for the day it finally releases.)

The amount of locations and people in your city/town, whatever, could really impact the availability in your areas.
I got mine but I decided to wait in line (3rd in line) and wait hours for the store to open. 1 per person so there was plenty enough.

After the store opened, only three people who weren't in the line got one too. I think the people in our line were all excited about playing, owning and having their own. No one I spoke with had an interest in reselling theirs. Personally, I wouldn't have paid over $150 from a scalper. I was prepared to just not have one. I still own my original SNES and many of these games but I really wanted something that could reset the 'test of time' of how long the system would actually continue to work without breaking down or the controllers getting sticky buttons from overuse.

Best of luck for anyone else / everyone else trying to get theirs are the price they're advertised.

You know, I see a lot of people mentioning stores running out of SNES minis, and saying they aren't restocking. The thing JUST came out, do you have any idea of how ordering stock even works? It doesn't ship in a day, it takes a bit of time. A store isn't gonna run out, and then immediately look outside and say "Oh look, the re-stock truck is here!" Like... chill out, give it a few days or even a week

I tried to get one from Best Buy Canada online, but the stock was gone in less than a minute. But there was plenty Switch in stock, so I decided to go buy a switch instead. I asked the girl at the store how much snes they had in the morning, and she said that they received 50' but that there were at least 100 waiting outside when the store opened.

cathou:
I tried to get one from Best Buy Canada online, but the stock was gone in less than a minute. But there was plenty Switch in stock, so I decided to go buy a switch instead. I asked the girl at the store how much snes they had in the morning, and she said that they received 50' but that there were at least 100 waiting outside when the store opened.

Don't you live in Quebec? I heard from my Fracophone friend that Quebec wasn't getting any because there is no French on the box. He was going to ask his mum to grab one and ship it to him here in Asia.

It seems like everyone has different stories about availability. It probably varies depending on where you live. I'd imagine major cities got the lion's share of units at launch, with outlying areas having to settle for the leftovers.

I haven't even bothered trying to get one yet. I figure I'll wait a week or so and see if I can get one via store walk-in. I'd like to obtain one, but not to the point that I'd be willing to wait in line for hours during the early morning (prime sleeping time for me given my 1-9 p.m. work schedule) just to have a chance at getting it.

Elvis Starburst:
You know, I see a lot of people mentioning stores running out of SNES minis, and saying they aren't restocking. The thing JUST came out, do you have any idea of how ordering stock even works? It doesn't ship in a day, it takes a bit of time. A store isn't gonna run out, and then immediately look outside and say "Oh look, the re-stock truck is here!" Like... chill out, give it a few days or even a week

Exactly. I work at a major retailer, and it usually takes a few days to restock an item if we sell out quickly. This applies to all merchandise, from the hottest electronics to hand soap.

Chewster:

cathou:

Don't you live in Quebec? I heard from my Fracophone friend that Quebec wasn't getting any because there is no French on the box. He was going to ask his mum to grab one and ship it to him here in Asia.

Yeah, I'm in Quebec. In august Nintendo screwed up big time. The retailler said that Nintendo told them that it wouldn't not be sold in Quebec. But Nintendo refused to spoke officially about that. Nothing was said officially but it was supposed that the French protection law was preventing the system to be sold in Quebec, however the organism that is suppose to check the application of that law claimed on twitter that they didn't do anything to block the sales.

Then suddenly two weeks ago, retailers said : ok, we can sell it in Quebec and Nintendo again refused to comment. But on September 29th there was indeed stocks of snes classic in every Quebec stores.

Elvis Starburst:

You are kinda' forgetting that the only reason the 're-stock' is needed is because Nintendo didn't send that many. And they didn't misjudge. They do this on purpose. Also, I may be quoting you, but this is not personal. I'm actually debunking Nintendo Devil Advocacy. Because basically, it boils down to them either being actually that dumb every time a product rolls off of the shelf, or deliberately that shitty for reasons I find head-scratching to understand because the practice doesn't get them money.

FalloutJack:

You are kinda' forgetting that the only reason the 're-stock' is needed is because Nintendo didn't send that many. And they didn't misjudge. They do this on purpose.

or because they need allocate stock evenly across stores through out the entire bloody country and make sure that stores with higher demand are stocked better than areas with less demand...

and also because Retail stores only have so much freaking storage space in them in to actually be able to actually hold all of the product units in the first place. did you ever think of that?

Neverhoodian:
It seems like everyone has different stories about availability. It probably varies depending on where you live. I'd imagine major cities got the lion's share of units at launch, with outlying areas having to settle for the leftovers.

I haven't even bothered trying to get one yet. I figure I'll wait a week or so and see if I can get one via store walk-in. I'd like to obtain one, but not to the point that I'd be willing to wait in line for hours during the early morning (prime sleeping time for me given my 1-9 p.m. work schedule) just to have a chance at getting it.

Elvis Starburst:

Exactly. I work at a major retailer, and it usually takes a few days to restock an item if we sell out quickly. This applies to all merchandise, from the hottest electronics to hand soap.

I said this earlier but there's a rumor that stores like Walmart, BB Target and GS limit stock based on if that area is considered a poor area to limit theft.

FalloutJack:

Elvis Starburst:

You are kinda' forgetting that the only reason the 're-stock' is needed is because Nintendo didn't send that many. And they didn't misjudge. They do this on purpose. Also, I may be quoting you, but this is not personal. I'm actually debunking Nintendo Devil Advocacy. Because basically, it boils down to them either being actually that dumb every time a product rolls off of the shelf, or deliberately that shitty for reasons I find head-scratching to understand because the practice doesn't get them money.

most stores had at least 50 units. how many units you think nintendo can produce ? first remeber that this particular product unlike the nes classic come in 3 variation. so you need three production lines. then there's how many memory units can be produxced by the companies that produce them. this also affect you productions limit. and you need warehouse space also. i mean you can produce 8 billions units to be sure that every human can have one. but where do you stock them ?

i think nintendo is really working on this, and before just bashing them, wait at least 3 months to see how the supply is going. the switch was impossible to find in march, but you can easily have one now 6 months later, wich is an improvement over the Wii...

Meanwhile I'm just sitting here with all my original SNES carts, and a modded PSP loaded with ROMs of all those carts. Why would I desperately need this SNES Classic? If I want to play Star Fox 2, I'll just grab a reproduction cart.

Not worth the headache of trying to track one down. By all accounts it's better than the NES Classic, yes, but still a shitshow. A good friend of mine is one of those many people who had his original preorder canceled, and as far as I can tell he hasn't been able to get one.

That said, if Nintendo can manage to reach a point where I can just browse to Amazon or something on my own time a few weeks or months down the line and grab one of these with no issue, then yeah, I'll buy one.

I got one from walmart canada online, wasn't too hard. Found out what time they would start selling it on their twitter feed, then set my alarm to wake up 5 minutes before that. I refreshed the page once a minute or so for about 5 minutes and got one within that timeframe before they sold out.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here