Nioh is coming to PC in November

Pages 1 2 NEXT

https://kotaku.com/nioh-is-coming-to-pc-1819051862

And they told me not to expect it. Now the question is if it's really worth it. Good game or just a crappier Dark Souls?

How could anyone possibly make a game crappier than Dark Souls?

The real worry is how good the port is. I LOOOOOVE Koei, but they are still not the best porters. Supposedly they are getting better though, but I havent tried Dragon Quest Heroes II yet. Samurai Warriors 4-II was unplayable for me. Spirit of Sanada doesnt run well at all. And most Koei games basically require controller, but usually controllers have to be tinkered with significantly (though controller works by default in Spirit of Sanada...go figure).

I have Nioh on PS4, but due to some issues with my PS account and that the summer kept me out of my basement, I basically only played the prologue.

Gameplay-wise, its a bit of a mind-fuck, cause its controls are laid out like a Dynasty Warriors game, but it gets in your head to play it Dark Souls style, so I press the wrong buttons alot.

I wonder if Steam actually pays them to do this. Seems to show up a lot... anyone know?

More on topic, is Nioh closer to DS1 or DS3 'combat speed' wise? That'll probably determine how much attention I pay to this release.

It really suffers from being repetitive, there's not a lot of enemy types especially until late game and this causes it to eventually feel grindy. The combat system is good but again, me going as a sword user felt like not a lot of customization matters with moves being the same between weapons and the extra moves you can purchase are nice but unless you spam them you'll forget they exist.

Ezekiel:

And they told me not to expect it. Now the question is if it's really worth it. Good game or just a crappier Dark Souls?

I opened this thread in the hopes of reading about news you are excited for, instead I see the predicable backhanded slap of a comment.

Yes Nioh is fantastic. It's Dark Souls-esque, but it is not a DS game. Nioh plays more like a punishing hack-n-slash game with Diablo-like loot elements. For starters there is a legit story told here, through full cut-scenes. The combat is faster than Dark Souls but maybe slower or about equal in speed to Bloodborne. This game is much more stat heavy than any of the DS games, and your stats DO matter here. While skill and patience can still win you the day, you are gonna have a much harder time with it than trying to do a level 1 run in DS. Like most looter games, enemies have pretty high scaling health, which means that if you aren't getting the strong enough gear you simple will do no damage against later enemies.

However outside of boss design, basic enemies don't really change much and the challenge at later levels comes from NPC versions of other players that are littered throughout the later levels. Unlike in DS, these NPC's don't fuck around and will fuck you up if you aren't perfect.

Endgame is a lot like Diablo, where it becomes about getting legendary loot and just trying to maximize your strength. Done through NG+ modes. So if that sounds like your game, then Nioh is top notch. It is certainly the best DS-like to come along so far.

CritialGaming:

Ezekiel:

I opened this thread in the hopes of reading about news you are excited for, instead I see the predicable backhanded slap of a comment.

I was fully expecting it, maybe even with a side of "It's no Max Payne 3" and "Check out this 360 no scope NYM run".

"The PC version can be played either on Action Mode, which features a stable 60fps, or on Movie Mode, which is described as a cinematic option that can expand the resolution to 4K. Koei Tecmo's note to press suggests you can't deviate from either of these two modes, no matter how powerful your PC."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-02-nioh-confirmed-for-pc-out-november-via-steam

Retarded.

Johnny Novgorod:
I was fully expecting it, maybe even with a side of "It's no Max Payne 3" and "Check out this 360 no scope NYM run".

I post those videos and GIFs to clear up misconceptions (like those by phoenixMGS) and bring awareness to details that may be ignored. The former is why I started making videos in the first place. But, aside from criticizing, I also like talking about things I like. I'm not gonna talk about MP3 in a thread about a hack and slash, smartass. I also wasn't gonna talk about MP3 in my Vanquish thread until phoenixMGS compared it.

Well shit. That just leaves Bloodborne and Persona 5 as the only reasons for me to buy a PS4.

Is this for real?

DefunctTheory:

Is this for real?

Yeah probably, the press released said they will have 4K resolution available and as a result that will make the 45GB game that much bigger. Final Fantasy XV will have a huge install as well. The more games we get with this 4K nonsense, the more we are going to start seeing 90gb+ installs.

CritialGaming:

DefunctTheory:

Is this for real?

Yeah probably, the press released said they will have 4K resolution available and as a result that will make the 45GB game that much bigger. Final Fantasy XV will have a huge install as well. The more games we get with this 4K nonsense, the more we are going to start seeing 90gb+ installs.

Sleeping Dogs had its HD textures as a free DLC. Don't know why this is so hard for everybody else.

CritialGaming:

DefunctTheory:

Is this for real?

So the gaming industry has fallen under the control of 'Big Hard Drive.' Great.

I'm almost glad big AAA developers have stopped making games I like. I don't want to buy a +2TB hard drive.

Ezekiel:

CritialGaming:

DefunctTheory:

Is this for real?

Sleeping Dogs had its HD textures as a free DLC. Don't know why this is so hard for everybody else.

4K and HD are different things.

CritialGaming:

Ezekiel:

CritialGaming:

I know they are. Same principle. Let the user decide if they want to install it.

Anyway, I didn't just ask at random if it's a crappier Dark Souls. The RLM guys made an interesting video.

CritialGaming:

DefunctTheory:

Is this for real?

...that's not what 4k is or how it works

to give you a hint, the pspro version of the game can run at 4k, and the game with all dlcs is like 50gbs no matter what, be it the 720p60 mode or any other

'4k' is the resolution the game outputs at(which may or may not include actually rendering at 4k), it has no impact on storage space, it's basically just a resolution setting,

what you might be confusing it with is texture resolution, since '4k textures' became a sort of buzzword for stupid people to fawn over for the console of their choice, what that means in reality is higher resolution textures, most of which is not 4k(4k being 4096x4096 in this instance when referring to textures) anyways

nioh's 100gb requirement is either the guy writing the specs fucking up, or the port having a bunch of bloated video and audio files in it ala ff13 on pc where the only reason that piece of shit is 60gigs is because all the video files are included twice, 20-something Gbs each

approx 0 chance there's a good reason for this, textures will be the same as the ps4 ver

the press release is referring to rendering/display resolution

CritialGaming:

Ezekiel:

CritialGaming:

no, in that instance it's exactly the same actually, different buzzwords but the same effect, 'higher resolution textures'

again, don't confuse texture resolution with rendering/display resolution

and actually, 4k and hd function exactly the same in most scenarios, since 4k resolution is just a linear increase of hd resolutions, more pixels but everything else is the same as always

720p(hd) to 1080p(full hd) to 1440p(2k) to 2160p(4k)

with texture resolution, 4k just means 'biggerererr'

Ezekiel:
Anyway, I didn't just ask at random if it's a crappier Dark Souls. The RLM guys made an interesting video.

So I watched the first part of this video (about 6 minutes) and I can tell you that they don't know what the fuck they are talking about. RLM imo is knowing to review shit in whatever way will get them attention rather than reviewing the game itself.

In the first 6 minutes they just talk about how Nioh is Dark Souls but not as good as Dark Souls, and they spend so much time trying to compare the games apples to apples which just doesn't.

Look, core concepts in Nioh are very much based off Dark Souls. The way death works, and experience, in that you have to go get your experience after you die or you risk loosing them forever. The shrine/bonfire check points are certain points in the level from which you level up, and a handful of other activities. Stamina bar for attacks, blocks, and dodges, making combat purposeful and heavy.

But that's it. Nioh is a drastically different game.

1. Nioh isn't a single interconnected world. Every mission is effectively a level you load into from the world map. Every level does have a fair bit of exploration in it, it isn't a seamless world. Imagine if you took Dark Souls and broke it apart into large but manageable chunks of explorable level. Main missions are big levels with many many different areas, while sub missions are usually smaller chunks of sections from the main mission in a given location.

2. Nioh is a loot-based game. Everything has stats, and these stats increase as you find better and better items of different rarities. Unlike in DS where the gear doesn't really matter throughout the game, with the exception of leveling up a weapon maybe. Here Nioh absolutely cares about gear, and the stats on a given piece of equipment can make a huge difference in beating a boss. The stats in Nioh are also interesting, not just core stats like stamina, strength, dex, etc etc. The stats are things like, "chance to not consume a healing item when used", "add X elemental damage to all attacks", "chance to consume no stamina when dodging" etc.

3. Combat is more tactical, and less based on reflex. In Nioh you can see your enemies stamina bar, so you know when they are safe, or dangerous and can determined when you are free to go in and break them. For example if an enemy attacks you a couple of times then holds up his guard, you can beat on his guard and break it because you can see how much stamina he has and every attack he guards will hurt that meter. If you break someone's guard they will collapse and allow you to viseral attack them for massive damage. Note that this doesn't work as well on big enemies or bosses, but you cam absolutely break a boss down for viseral attacks. Again this allows you to plan your attacks against an enemy rather than only react to them, dodging and countering when an opening presents itself. Nioh is still very punishing if you fuck this up though so it isn't easier per-se, it's just a different approach.

4. Crafting. Nioh has a full crafting system, where enemies drop not only full on loot, but also materials that can be used and farmed up to make powerful weapons on your own. This helps prevent the RNG from fucking you by never dropping a epic rarity item when you really need the boost. This is where Nioh becomes a bit like Diablo, because you may find yourself running the same side mission a couple of times to get a material drop of the boss of that mission or something so you can make a new axe.

The groundwork of Nioh is very much Dark Souls inspired, but the game quickly takes a completely different turn when you actually start playing it.

Hmm, ok, cool. I'm down, now they just need to not fuck up the port.

MC1980:
snip

Right on the PSPro the game is using a "checker board" system in which it upscales half the picture in 4k resolution every frame. So you get this alternating checker board thing that make it look like 4K, but isn't really 4K.

On PC however those true 4K textures are large. Very large and I just don't think the gaming industry is ready to handle that shit. But by golly do they ever wanna try. Final Fantasy XV will be 160 gigs installed from the 4K textures, so it shows you just how big that shit can get. I'm sure at some point they will figure out a better compression rate in order to keep these things smaller, but it's early in the 4K+ resolution life cycle.

It is possible that it is a fuck up as well. But 100gb would surprise me if they are actually using 4K textures.

Frick yes!

I need some more hack & slash in my life.

Aerosteam:
Well shit. That just leaves Bloodborne and Persona 5 as the only reasons for me to buy a PS4.

You can play Persona 5 on PS3 anyway, if you have one.

Ezekiel:

Well that is going to be dependant on personal preference. Personally I played Demons Souls when it came out and loved it later I played Dark Souls and liked it but felt it was to samey and the magic had worn off even if it was improved in some areas. With Nioh I like it more than both by quite a wide margin it just feels better to play for me with more responsive controls and better boss design for the most part. World is less interesting being fantasy set in reality rather than pure fantasy and enemy types are fewer although imo more satisfying to fight.

Didnt have time to watch that vid you posted but quickly flicked through. One part they were saying about the wall and it only happened once well they obviously did not look hard enough there are quite a few in the game. Later they mentioned just staying in one stance and abusing it which is partly true I personally am in high stance 90% of the time and the grab move with the kusa is great against humans but its far from a guaranteed victory strat they will block it and counter hard if you mess up especially boss enemies who will likely kill you for trying it at the wrong time. If you really want to master the combat stance switching is very helpful with aiding Ki charging which means less downtime and less chance of being opened up.

Ive played it for over 225 hours so far and am barely scratching the surface of higher difficulties just near the end of Way of the Demon which is game ++.

Combat is also faster than Demons and Dark Souls (at least the first one). the story is garbage tbh and the stages though nice are reused for sub missions albeit in different layouts and in twilight missions it has the same level but changes all the enemy types.

Main missions often have there own gimmick which I usually hate tbh but here it felt quite satisfying for the most part to figure out what I had to do I.e one may have sliding walls another may be find the tiles (keys) from the mini boss enemies another might be drain the posion mist from the stones and destroy them before it spreads again.

Not sure it will be worth it for you personally seeing as how I do not know you enough to get a feel for your preferences but im sure you could look at some vids and decide or maybe try it out and then refund if you dont like.

Game is also more stat based than Souls. You can beat anything with pure skills but damn you better have some godlike skills because you will be tickling them on harder difficulties and you will die to a single touch but you dont have to worry about this on the normal difficulty which though hard does not force you to start messing to much with gear just equip the good stuff you find. I had to start making a dedicated build at the end of way of the strong (new game +) and a better one mid way through Demon (++). Now I feel I may have to start actually min maxing to go further.

Saelune:
The real worry is how good the port is.

Same I am extremely sceptical it will be a good one especially on launch. Also if 100gb is right that seems very excessive.

Aerosteam:

Zero Horizon Dawn is pretty good

Nice. More games in more places is always good in my book. Especially when they are good, like Nioh apparently is.

Ezekiel:
I post those videos and GIFs to clear up misconceptions (like those by phoenixMGS) and bring awareness to details that may be ignored. The former is why I started making videos in the first place. But, aside from criticizing, I also like talking about things I like. I'm not gonna talk about MP3 in a thread about a hack and slash, smartass. I also wasn't gonna talk about MP3 in my Vanquish thread until phoenixMGS compared it.

LMAO, I know how to play shooters, I've literally played with and against the top players in the world. You're the one that played Vanquish horribly wrong by playing it like a cover shooter...

"You didn't eat the steak Jack... you had the Wonder Bread"

You even think the tone of Vanquish is serious when it's one of the most not serious games there is.

Phoenixmgs:

Ezekiel:

LMAO, I know how to play shooters, I've literally played with and against the top players in the world. You're the one that played Vanquish horribly wrong by playing it like a cover shooter...

"You didn't eat the steak Jack... you had the Wonder Bread"

You even think the tone of Vanquish is serious when it's one of the most not serious games there is.

I used cover in Vanquish sometimes, like everybody but the more skilled players. I also slid around like a retard. The game's lame, for the most part. As I said in my last post in that thread, the final boss proves the game is cheap, as I was able to beat the duo in one try, unlike the boss prior to that. The stamina system sucked. Your power constantly depleted. Performing a melee depleted all of it. Health regen was also a stupid idea for a game that wants to be fast-paced. The story, regardless of its intention, was generic, unfunny trash, so bad that I skipped the last few cutscenes and muted the ending. Overrated. Worst PG game I've played.

You did have clear misconceptions of Max Payne 3. You complained about the cover system excessively until I showed you that you barely need to use it. You complained about Max not transitioning to the crouch when his cover gets shot up in the Bronco offices and then I showed you that the cover there doesn't destruct. There is almost no destruction. You said the dodge roll is useless, after which I showed you three different examples of its application. Never mind that you can reload while rolling. You said the crouch is useless, which is also false, especially in the multiplayer. You said the pistols have the same range and accuracy as rifles, which the bigger maps reveal to be false.

Definitely interested in it, but Koei-Tecmo have a pretty terrible record with PC ports.

The combat is quite fun..for the first 10 hours or so. After that the same 5 enemies, samey environments and uninspiring level design start to drag the game down into an extreme chore. The story that introduce a new character every 5 mins and refer to them only by name makes no sense either. The game's inventory feels like managing a landfill. So much fucking loot in no time you have 80(literally) variations of the same sword. There is absolutely no sense of adventure, atmosphere, mystery, art design, imaginative creatures or any of the other things that make the Souls games so great. You will also drown in the amount of redundant combat options in Nioh that doesn't make the game any better but just add further to the bloat.

I would have enjoyed Nioh a lot more if it was either drastically shorter and with like 80% less fat and/or if the game itself was actually fun instead of being a repetitive grind with zero incentive to keep playing. Like I said the combat is fun for like the first 10 hours or so but still nowhere in the same league as Souls/Bloodborne and totally lacking any other elements that motivates to keep playing. Other than maybe activating some reptilian part of the brain that reacts on being incessantly 'rewarded' by infinite loot I can keep those OCD compulsions in check and found little to like in Nioh.

Cool, hope you enjoy getting bodied by the 3rd boss as much as I did.

*grumble grumble* stupid stacking paralysis debuff *grumble grumble*...

Wrex Brogan:

Try dodging. :)

Ezekiel:
I used cover in Vanquish sometimes, like everybody but the more skilled players. I also slid around like a retard. The game's lame, for the most part. As I said in my last post in that thread, the final boss proves the game is cheap, as I was able to beat the duo in one try, unlike the boss prior to that. The stamina system sucked. Your power constantly depleted. Performing a melee depleted all of it. Health regen was also a stupid idea for a game that wants to be fast-paced. The story, regardless of its intention, was generic, unfunny trash, so bad that I skipped the last few cutscenes and muted the ending. Overrated. Worst PG game I've played.

You did have clear misconceptions of Max Payne 3. You complained about the cover system excessively until I showed you that you barely need to use it. You complained about Max not transitioning to the crouch when his cover gets shot up in the Bronco offices and then I showed you that the cover there doesn't destruct. There is almost no destruction. You said the dodge roll is useless, after which I showed you three different examples of its application. Never mind that you can reload while rolling. You said the crouch is useless, which is also false, especially in the multiplayer. You said the pistols have the same range and accuracy as rifles, which the bigger maps reveal to be false.

Don't like melee depleting your energy? Use the disc launcher. The melee uses up all your energy because it's EXTREMELY POWERFUL. It would break the game if melee say used half your energy. The final boss is cheap when you beat it in one try? Which somehow proves the whole game is cheap? So the Bed of Chaos proves the entire game of Dark Souls is cheap?

I know you don't need to rely on cover in MP3, doesn't change the fact that cover system sucks. The cubicles do destruct. Mechanics being useful in multiplayer doesn't change the fact that they are useless in single player. Even the freaking speedrun video you linked to, the guy says he's only going to use one-handed weapons unless he ran out of ammo. MP3 has Uncharted 1 levels of horrible gun balance and bullet sponginess.

Ezekiel:
But, aside from criticizing, I also like talking about things I like. I'm not gonna talk about MP3 in a thread about a hack and slash, smartass. I also wasn't gonna talk about MP3 in my Vanquish thread until phoenixMGS compared it.

Phoenixmgs:

Ezekiel:

Don't like melee depleting your energy? Use the disc launcher. The melee uses up all your energy because it's EXTREMELY POWERFUL. It would break the game if melee say used half your energy. The final boss is cheap when you beat it in one try? Which somehow proves the whole game is cheap? So the Bed of Chaos proves the entire game of Dark Souls is cheap?

I know you don't need to rely on cover in MP3, doesn't change the fact that cover system sucks. The cubicles do destruct. Mechanics being useful in multiplayer doesn't change the fact that they are useless in single player. Even the freaking speedrun video you linked to, the guy says he's only going to use one-handed weapons unless he ran out of ammo. MP3 has Uncharted 1 levels of horrible gun balance and bullet sponginess.

Jesus fucking christ, can you two stop dancing around the same topic over multiple threads? You clearly disagree and refuse to respect each other's stances. It's shit like this that makes one reluctant to post because the thread devolves into an impenetrable back-and-forth. It's tiresome when you repeat the same arguments with minimal variation.

The combined posts come across as some of the most joyless and needlessly pedantic opinions across the Escapist. It's almost B-Cell levels of comical with how predictable it's become.

Both of you need to take a break from one another. See other users. This marriage isn't working.

Phoenixmgs:

Ezekiel:

The cover system is fine. You're pedantic.

"bullet sponginess"

No, it fucking doesn't. The majority of enemies die from a bullet to the head or a few to the body. They're pushovers. Later enemies are heavily armored. It's normal in shooters for enemies to get better gear and become harder to take down as the game progresses. Being able to gun your way through the enemies in the late levels as easily would have been pretty disappointing. You're fighting fucking special forces police units.

"horrible gun balance"

I just tried to play the police station with only pistols. I ran out of ammo way too fast for that to be viable. What you want is unrealistically bad accuracy and stopping power just to validate two-handed weapons, when the carry system already does that. I don't need RNG shit in my run and gun shooter. Besides, you're using footage from a player who is really, really good at the game, who can aim faster and converse pistol ammo better than most players.

"The cubicles do destruct."

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.952546-Vanquish-impressions?page=2#23981620

Only the corners of the corner cubicles have tops that destruct. When they do, you can move to the side and Max will crouch. You complained about a lack of a feature that would almost never, ever be useful. I'm sure if the game had a lot of destructible high cover, Rockstar would have let you crouch and stand in cover. But it doesn't. It's not necessary.

Robert was a trash boss that was only by trashier by the shitty stamina system, annoying suit beeping/alarm and health regen, like a lot of moments from the game. If the story/characters were at least good and the environments weren't so bland and samey (and you didn't try to convince me Max Payne 3 is shit), I would have beaten it much quicker.

CritialGaming:

Wrex Brogan:

Try dodging. :)

Can't dodge while PARALYZED!

EDIT: Though, to be fair, she is designed to body players, given she's the first enemy to use paralysis, one of the first to use status debuffs, and unlike everything else you fought before her is incredibly fast and can fly while also using a quick-firing ranged attack. She's the first thing you fight that actually needs appropriately-timed dodges, wheras everything else you can just mash buttons and hope for the best.

Still, can't dodge while stunned! Dammit!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here