What games are you playing?

Pages PREV 1 . . . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 . . . 20 NEXT

Ezekiel:
I just bought a PS4. They didn't have the complete edition of Bloodborne, so I got The Last of Us instead. Is all the Bloodborne DLC totally worth the extra 20 dollars? If not, I'll just go back and get BB as well.

I'd say it definitely is. The Old Hunters is without a doubt the best DLC I ever played and also a pivotal part of Bloodborne. Already Lovecraft inspired, the last part of the DLC in particular feels like a genuine homage to The Shadow over Innsmouth.

Ezekiel:
I just bought a PS4. They didn't have the complete edition of Bloodborne, so I got The Last of Us instead. Is all the Bloodborne DLC totally worth the extra 20 dollars? If not, I'll just go back and get BB as well.

I only got the Old Hunter DLC, and I loved it. Its 5 new bosses, all of which are great, 4 of which I'd say are in my Top 5 bosses for that game. Adds 3 new areas, and probably 10+ hours of extra content? And some bitching new weapons, including basically a chainsaw.
I'm not sure about any other DLC. Haven't gotten anything else

Ezekiel:

Kinda surprised to hear you've bought the type of game that has some of your most loathed elements of game design (OTS aiming, Walk n Talk, upgrades, etc.). Regardless, it's still got arguably the most satisfying melee and general movement set within the genre. Stealth feels pretty natural too. Quite a few opportunities to mix up attacks with environmental objects and crafting gear. Actually just talking about it half makes me want to play it again, even though the narrative can drag here and there.

As for Bloodborne, it doesn't appear the DLC has had much of a discount history.. It's a bit unusual. I'm waiting for it to drop to $10 myself. If you haven't gotten the main game yet, might as well just get the GotY/Complete Edition since the DLC alone is half that price, and some of the best bosses/weapons are apparently in the DLC.

hanselthecaretaker:

Ezekiel:

Kinda surprised to hear you?ve bought the type of game that has some of your most loathed elements of game design (OTS aiming, Walk n Talk, upgrades, etc.). Regardless, it?s still got arguably the most satisfying melee and general movement set within the genre. Stealth feels pretty natural too. Quite a few opportunities to mix up attacks with environmental objects and crafting gear. Actually just talking about it half makes me want to play it again, even though the narrative can drag here and there.

My tolerance depends on how well it's done. Naughty Dog is one of the better examples. Also, an upgrade system in a survival horror doesn't feel as misplaced as upgrade systems in so many action games. Besides, it's not a STUPID upgrade system. The Last of Us is dull at times, though. It's easy to marathon, but still. I also play their games for the beautiful art direction/graphics. This apocalypse feels lived in, I guess you'd say. Sometimes it's overdone, with rooms looking much older than twenty years of dilapidation/abandonment. But I like the look of it. Global warming (sea rise in the levels) was also a pretty neat touch. I also like the choice of music, slightly western.

Edit: I wish more games told you when you're approaching points of no return, especially cinematic ones. I left a safe thinking I could still go back.

Edit: The Last of Us does limited ammunition right. I just did that part in the plaza where Ellie covers Joel with the rifle. That was cool. I like the loud crack of the guns.

Edit: I thought this console would be louder. I hope it's not just because I'm playing a remaster.

Ezekiel:

My tolerance depends on how well it's done. Naughty Dog is one of the better examples. Also, an upgrade system in a survival horror doesn't feel as misplaced as upgrade systems in so many action games. Besides, it's not a STUPID upgrade system. The Last of Us is dull at times, though. It's easy to marathon, but still. I also play their games for the beautiful art direction/graphics. This apocalypse feels lived in, I guess you'd say. Sometimes it's overdone, with rooms looking much older than twenty years of dilapidation/abandonment. But I like the look of it. Global warming (sea rise in the levels) was also a pretty neat touch. I also like the choice of music, slightly western.

Edit: I wish more games told you when you're approaching points of no return, especially cinematic ones. I left a safe thinking I could still go back.

Edit: The Last of Us does limited ammunition right. I just did that part in the plaza where Ellie covers Joel with the rifle. That was cool. I like the loud crack of the guns.

Edit: I thought this console would be louder. I hope it's not just because I'm playing a remaster.

The Slim ones are pretty quiet. Sometimes I hear the fan kick in during quieter parts of games that really push it but then it spins down after a minute or so. If you have a disc version it whines on first spin up, like most drives do, but then isn't noticeable. I think it's only a verification check these days anyways.

I noticed it can get hot in the back, but one thing I've done on my consoles for the hell of it (OCD of it) is stick some of those 3M rubber bumpers on the corners underneath to give the heat some extra room to escape nicely. Anything between 1/8"-1/4" works well. Not sure how much it helps but sure it can't hurt either.

Did you get any other games? Aside from Bloodborne for obvious reasons I'd recommend Horizon: Zero Dawn for the smooth gameplay and sheer beauty of it. Aside from some cheesy NPC's the story has a pleasant buildup and doesn't get in the way like I thought it might either.

Silentpony:

Ezekiel:

I only got the Old Hunter DLC, and I loved it. Its 5 new bosses, all of which are great, 4 of which I'd say are in my Top 5 bosses for that game. Adds 3 new areas, and probably 10+ hours of extra content? And some bitching new weapons, including basically a chainsaw.

As far as I know, the Old Hunters is the only DLC for Bloodborne. I ended up grabbing the complete edition with the DLC built in, but I had to order it from Europe because apparently it's not a US product. It seems to work fine on a US PS4 so I'm cool with that.

hanselthecaretaker:
Did you get any other games? Aside from Bloodborne for obvious reasons I?d recommend Horizon: Zero Dawn for the smooth gameplay and sheer beauty of it. Aside from some cheesy NPC?s the story has a pleasant buildup and doesn?t get in the way like I thought it might either.

No. Console games are expensive. If I buy too many at once, I run the risk of not finishing them. Well, Battlefront 2 came bundled, but I'm gonna sell that, because I hated the demo and am not gonna pay for multiplayer. You also know how I feel about aiming with controllers. I'm not buying any pure shooters. After Bloodborne, I think I'll get God of War III.

Just finished my first playthrough of NieR: Automate

I feel conflicted about it. I'm not quite sure whether or not I think it a good game with some really big flaws, or a bad game with some really good stuff. In some ways it is creative and innovative, in others clunky and outdated. The writing is sometimes cringy anime tropes, and sometimes has a delightfully quirky quality to it.

I know you've supposed to play through it multiple times to get the full experience, but I think I'm going to hold off and play something else first.

And that something is Anachronox.

Chimpzy:
I know you've supposed to play through it multiple times to get the full experience, but I think I'm going to hold off and play something else first.

You don't play through it multiple times to get the full experience, you play through it just once. You didn't finish it. The term playthrough is very misleading when used with Nier: Automata. It would be like saying the Virtuous Mission in MGS3 or the tanker in MGS2 is one playthrough and Operation Snake Eater in 3 or the plant in 2 is the second.

Ezekiel:

Chimpzy:

You don't play through it multiple times to get the full experience, you play through it just once. You didn't finish it. The term playthrough is very misleading when used with Nier: Automata. It would be like saying the Virtuous Mission in MGS3 or the tanker in MGS2 is one playthrough and Operation Snake Eater in 3 or the plant in 2 is the second.

Be that as it may, I don't find the core gameplay loop strong enough to want to do multiple campaigns in a row.

So, first Anachronox, then more NieR: Automata.

Ezekiel:

hanselthecaretaker:
Did you get any other games? Aside from Bloodborne for obvious reasons I?d recommend Horizon: Zero Dawn for the smooth gameplay and sheer beauty of it. Aside from some cheesy NPC?s the story has a pleasant buildup and doesn?t get in the way like I thought it might either.

No. Console games are expensive. If I buy too many at once, I run the risk of not finishing them. Well, Battlefront 2 came bundled, but I'm gonna sell that, because I hated the demo and am not gonna pay for multiplayer. You also know how I feel about aiming with controllers. I'm not buying any pure shooters. After Bloodborne, I think I'll get God of War III.

Also forgot about Uncharted4/Lost Legacy which, if you liked the first three at all then these would be another rec. I originally got the UC4 bundle but enjoyed LL more overall, and not just for the eye candy (Chloe + Photo mode....yeah). It has a tighter design, better pacing, better platforming sections, and finishes with one of the best set pieces of the series.

Amazon especially with Prime usually has the cheapest options if you don't get PS+.

The waiting game.

Chimpzy:

Wooooo! Nice to see Anachronox getting some love. It's a great game.

Now..I don't want to scare you away but..You will find that the graphics are a bit, lets say, dated.
Also, the sometimes repetitive turn-based fights can feel like it is dragging on a bit, despite the awesome moves available.
What the game really shines in, is the exploration of new and strange environments, the twists and turns of the story, the collectables, the photo opportunities, the "hidden" side-quests (that you have to remember and figure out yourself!), the interplay between the characters and of course The Humor.
All in all, taking the games age into account, it is still a worthy game and should be played by any Adventure/RPG fan.
Enjoy the ride!

Ezekiel:

Bloodborne is already worth the price as it is. The DLC adds more areas to explore (with more enemies, weapons, items and lore); but some people regard the environment as too similar to the main game (some parts are intended to look like a nightmarish version of the main game, but some say that's lazy), and the layout too linear.

At very least the DLC is very good alternative for post-main story content than the Chalice Dungeons (I love the later, but they are very repetitive).

Silentpony:

Nope. They only released The Old Hunters. They added stuff to the main game in updates that wasn't in the original version though (mainly the League covenant).

Vendor-Lazarus:

Chimpzy:

Wooooo! Nice to see Anachronox getting some love. It's a great game.

Now..I don't want to scare you away but..You will find that the graphics are a bit, lets say, dated.
Also, the sometimes repetitive turn-based fights can feel like it is dragging on a bit, despite the awesome moves available.
What the game really shines in, is the exploration of new and strange environments, the twists and turns of the story, the collectables, the photo opportunities, the "hidden" side-quests (that you have to remember and figure out yourself!), the interplay between the characters and of course The Humor.
All in all, taking the games age into account, it is still a worthy game and should be played by any Adventure/RPG fan.
Enjoy the ride!

I've had the game in my backlog for years, but decided to play it after watching Errant Signal's recent video on it. A more comedic game seemed like a nice change of pace.

And about the graphics. It doesn't bother me. Actually, knowing it runs on the Quake 2 engine, which was already ancient by the time this game got released, I'm kind of impressed at how much mileage they're getting out of it.

CaitSeith:

Ezekiel:

Bloodborne is already worth the price as it is. The DLC adds more areas to explore (with more enemies, weapons, items and lore); but some people regard the environment as too similar to the main game (some parts are intended to look like a nightmarish version of the main game, but some say that's lazy), and the layout too linear.

At very least the DLC is very good alternative for post-main story content than the Chalice Dungeons (I love the later, but they are very repetitive).

The Chalice Dungeons - for better or worse - are an elaborately designed alternative to farming via Dark Souls. Especially the root variety, for which there is a whole list of user-created dungeons to help get the best gear the game has to offer more efficiently. Not sure how long they all stay active but in a sense they are the gift that keeps on giving.

Also of note, Bloodborne is a "free" game this month on PS+, but doubt if that includes the DLC.

For anyone's who's gotten a disc version and later downloaded the digital can you use your existing saves? As in would the file/install be the same thing, just without the disc check?

I might do this just so I don't need the disc anymore to play.

I decided to start over with yet another PSN account, because Sony doesn't allow name changes, and discovered that the save files are account locked. Horrible! I don't give a shit about cheaters. Well, at least with The Last of Us, it doesn't matter so much if I replay with a new save in the future. I'm just glad I knew this before Bloodborne arrived.

Ezekiel:
I decided to start over with yet another PSN account, because Sony doesn't allow name changes, and discovered that the save files are account locked. Horrible! I don't give a shit about cheaters. Well, at least with The Last of Us, it doesn't matter so much if I replay with a new save in the future. I'm just glad I knew this before Bloodborne arrived.

lol, mind if I ask what two names you picked?

To answer the topic... Slowly getting back into The Witcher 3, trying to get my bearings straight in order to not miss any cards.

Yoshi178:
The waiting game.

I played the waiting game. Shame they never made a sequel.

Currently playing the DLC of Sniper Elite 4. I enjoyed the game when it came out but forgot all about it till I saw the footage that the lobby group against videogames showed to Trump to show how videogames are evil and cause gun violence while guns themselves have nothing to do with it. Thanks Trump!

Ezekiel:

Hopefully that will cease being an issue sometime this year.

I still don't understand why they don't just do it like Steam if stuff like that is an issue. It's not like they wouldn't be able to track username changes since everything is still tied to one account.

Uncharted 4 and The Drake Collection

hanselthecaretaker:

Ezekiel:

Hopefully that will cease being an issue sometime this year.

I still don't understand why they don't just do it like Steam if stuff like that is an issue. It's not like they wouldn't be able to track username changes since everything is still tied to one account.

You mean, how you can have a display name on Steam that's separate from your ID? Yeah, I'd love that. Imagine if everyone on planet Earth had to have a completely unique name, like on PSN. It doesn't make sense.

Playing Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology. I had the DS version, so this will be my second attempt to actually finish the game.

Katamari Forever. Why don't I ever see Katamari mentioned here?

The Last of Us was good.

One thing I wanna comment on... I found it odd how Naughty Dog chose to acknowledge that Ellie would be a sexual target. It kept not being brought up for the longest time, which felt unrealistic. No creepy stares or comments from hostile NPCs. Then, when someone finally did want her and she denied him, he was ready to have her diced for food before even ATTEMPTING to rape her. Why would they all want to eat her? I didn't see any women in their camp. Later, he finally does try to rape her, apparently, but it barely looks like he's about to attempt it. What was Naughty Dog so afraid of? It's an M-rated game. I'm not asking for rape to be shown. The Road was better at acknowledging it without ever putting the boy in that position.

Ezekiel:
The Last of Us was good.

One thing I wanna comment on... I found it odd how Naughty Dog chose to acknowledge that Ellie would be a sexual target. It kept not being brought up for the longest time, which felt unrealistic. No creepy stares or comments from hostile NPCs. Then, when someone finally did want her and she denied him, he was ready to have her diced for food before even ATTEMPTING to rape her. Why would they all want to eat her? I didn't see any women in their camp. Later, he finally does try to rape her, apparently, but it barely looks like he's about to attempt it. What was Naughty Dog so afraid of? It's an M-rated game. I'm not asking for rape to be shown. The Road was better at acknowledging it without ever putting the boy in that position.

I think it was a result of ND wanting to be more subtle about it and perhaps keep the player on edge as to what the cannibal's true intentions were. IIRC there was nothing overtly suggested during their meandering dialog from when they first met in the woods up until she's captured.

Then it just got awkward for who knows what reasons. Maybe he couldn't quite decide if he was hungrier or hornier. Both have a way of corrupting the mind by themselves, but put them together...and during an apocalypse...hoo boy.

Ezekiel:
The Last of Us was good.

You almost sound offended on behalf of Ellie that no one wanted her:) OK maybe even though David has been surviving an Apocalypse for 20 years, maybe he still has morals such as not forcing himself on young women. Yeah, it's a bit odd how he goes from lust to lunch in a matter of seconds. But he is angry because Ellie just broke his finger so a decision made in the heat of the moment could explain that. Plus it would be a long game if we had to wait while David wins her heart. As for the attempted rape bit, if my memory serves me right, they are both in a burning building so maybe sex is not the best idea. Anyway, the sequel is looking like being a hate filled misery fest, so maybe they'll address the situation in the next game.

Ok, damn this year already. There is not a great deal out this year the I want to play, or so I thought, I was going to finish a load of games that I haven't finished. Maybe another playthrough of Persona 5. But so far, I've tried Lost Sphear and that was pretty meh.

I started playing Dying Light again which I was enjoying until I bought Sleeping Dogs again and started playing that. Shame there will never be a sequel to that. Then PS+ gave out a tactical JRPG called Grand Kingdom and I got addicted to that. Then THQNORDIC re-released de Blob 2, so I have that to play. Then the Metal Slug Anthology was really cheap on the PS store so I got that. I have to finish Life is Strange: Before the Storm now that it is all out. I started Senuas Sacrifice and apart from the whispery voices, I'm not a fan. And Ni No Kuni 2 is out at the end of the month. So yeah, my plan is not going well. It's a good thing there is nothing else out until RDR 2 that tickles my fancy. So maybe, just maybe, I can actually play some of these games.

Dark Souls III.

It's magnificent.

hanselthecaretaker:

Ezekiel:
The Last of Us was good.

I think it was a result of ND wanting to be more subtle about it and perhaps keep the player on edge as to what the cannibal?s true intentions were. IIRC there was nothing overtly suggested during their meandering dialog from when they first met in the woods up until she?s captured.

Then it just got awkward for who knows what reasons. Maybe he couldn?t quite decide if he was hungrier or hornier. Both have a way of corrupting the mind by themselves, but put them together...and during an apocalypse...hoo boy.

It does kind of remind me of one of my issues with the game. The premise being to take Ellie to the place out west so they can use her to find a cure, and Joel is presented as a shitty person for deciding not to let them keep her to run medical experiments on(which would kill her).

On one hand, Joel took her away for mostly selfish reasons(because he was thinking of her as a daughter and reminded of losing his own traumatically).

On the other hand, for all the talk of "Ellie would want this", Ellie was unconcoius when she was brought in and was still out when Joel grabbed her. It's very likely she never woke up in the interiem and less likely she was told "BTW, these experiments involve cutting into your brain and killing you". So Ellie pretty much never got the chance to consent to having her brain cut out, which changes things a bit. There's also that tape/document(?) you find that explains Ellie isn't he first they've cut into to try to find a cure and none of the others yielded a cure, so Ellie giving her life probably wouldn't be the magical brain they needed either.

But on a larger scale, it's hard to see wanting to give Ellie's life to "Save Mankind" when almost every human Joel and Ellie meet in the game are pretty awful. Almost everyone in Pittsburgh is a psychopathic bandit(considering they literally chase them into the country even after they've passed out of their city, despite the mounting and one sided body count), Davids groups are creepy cannibals and pretty much anyone else is more then willing to murder them at a glance. There doesn't seem to be much humanity worth saving at this point, other then the people living at the Dam.

Dalisclock:

hanselthecaretaker:

Ezekiel:
The Last of Us was good.

I think it was a result of ND wanting to be more subtle about it and perhaps keep the player on edge as to what the cannibal?s true intentions were. IIRC there was nothing overtly suggested during their meandering dialog from when they first met in the woods up until she?s captured.

Then it just got awkward for who knows what reasons. Maybe he couldn?t quite decide if he was hungrier or hornier. Both have a way of corrupting the mind by themselves, but put them together...and during an apocalypse...hoo boy.

It does kind of remind me of one of my issues with the game. The premise being to take Ellie to the place out west so they can use her to find a cure, and Joel is presented as a shitty person for deciding not to let them keep her to run medical experiments on(which would kill her).

On one hand, Joel took her away for mostly selfish reasons(because he was thinking of her as a daughter and reminded of losing his own traumatically).

On the other hand, for all the talk of "Ellie would want this", Ellie was unconcoius when she was brought in and was still out when Joel grabbed her. It's very likely she never woke up in the interiem and less likely she was told "BTW, these experiments involve cutting into your brain and killing you". So Ellie pretty much never got the chance to consent to having her brain cut out, which changes things a bit. There's also that tape/document(?) you find that explains Ellie isn't he first they've cut into to try to find a cure and none of the others yielded a cure, so Ellie giving her life probably wouldn't be the magical brain they needed either.

But on a larger scale, it's hard to see wanting to give Ellie's life to "Save Mankind" when almost every human Joel and Ellie meet in the game are pretty awful. Almost everyone in Pittsburgh is a psychopathic bandit(considering they literally chase them into the country even after they've passed out of their city, despite the mounting and one sided body count), Davids groups are creepy cannibals and pretty much anyone else is more then willing to murder them at a glance. There doesn't seem to be much humanity worth saving at this point, other then the people living at the Dam.

Yeah I always thought the ending felt more than a bit ill-contrived and too convenient for the sake of dramatic effect. Let's hack up yet another rare specimen because it worked so well on the previous attempts. This could be the one!! Joel's practical reasoning for saving her at the very least equaled the emotional counterpart imo. Hopefully the sequel won't need to rely on that kind of plot thread.

Currently playing Kingdom Come: Deliverance and overall having a great time with it. The learn-by-doing progression system is a breath of fresh air, combat including archery has a nice weight and physicality to it, the quests have been engaging so far, and even the mini games (dice at least) are more enjoyable than I would've thought. It feels like a true role playing game, where simply interacting with the world is rewarding and invites exploration due to the quality and variety of what there is to see and do.

If there's one early nitpick to the quests so far it would be there seems to be too much urgency on the earlier main quests to take some time to enjoy the rest of the game. I have all these thins I'd like to try, including side quests, but now everyone wants me to tag along to track down some bandits. I could probably say no or not ready yet, but it wouldn't seem right. Hopefully there will be a lull in the main story because most of the actual game appears to be had outside of it.

First boss in Bloodborne and already the lock-on camera is showing how poor it is for giant bosses. Why did they never fix this?

Edit: Bloodborne is too hard. I'm starting to feel like I wasted my money. Every other enemy and both available bosses are overpowered and I still haven't found the tool kit to upgrade my weapon. I don't remember the beginnings of the Souls games ever feeling so hopeless.

Ezekiel:
Edit: Bloodborne is too hard. I'm starting to feel like I wasted my money. Every other enemy and both available bosses are overpowered and I still haven't found the tool kit to upgrade my weapon. I don't remember the beginnings of the Souls games ever feeling so hopeless.

Don't give up. If you've played Dark Souls you can do this, it's not harder, just different.

Your brain will eventually wrap your head around it and you will start having fun, a lot of fun. The rallying mechanic and emphasis on quickstepping and parrying makes it faster and more aggressive than dark souls, and the bosses are all multi phase and, with a few exceptions, immensely satisfying to fight.

You don't need a toolkit to upgrade (fortify) your weapon, only to add blood gems to it (which are like infusions, but can be swapped out at will).

For the cleric beast, a lot of players will say stick to the butt at all costs. But you can also do it by keeping distance and baiting out his attacks. He's also very vulnerable to fire, so if you're struggling try throwing oil at him and then use the molotov cocktails. Finally, one common feature of big monster bosses is that they can usually have their limbs individually crippled, and will take extra damage from crippled limbs. It can also stagger them and open them up for a visceral attack (which is Bloodborne's equivalent of a riposte or critical hit).

For Gascoigne, the parry mechanic wrecks his shit in his first two phases. Often if you shoot just as you see him start to telegraph an attack you'll hit the parry window, and in this game you don't have to worry about missing parries so much because you can regain health through rallying and blood vials are extremely quick to use.

If you've met the little girl, a certain item that she gives you can also make Gascoine's fight a bit easier. Read the item descriptions to find out why..

^What EtC said, and listen for a music box sound to find the girl. You might find it's coming from behind a locked gate depending where you're at though, so will need to find another way around.

I initially died an embarrassing amount to ogres who are great for learning the timing with gun parrying. The whole point of Bloodborne is to throw the defensive Souls formula on its head. It even jokes about it in the form of the wooden shield you get early on.

Lock-on is often better left off for larger bosses and even some enemies. Its main benefits are quick targeting for gun parries and in more duel-esque standoff's, where quick footwork is needed. There is a distinct ebb and flow to Bloodborne's combat, and being judicious with lock-on is a big part of it. Sometimes it will wreak havoc with the camera and others it will send you off a ledge to your death. Avoid those cases and you'll be off to a better start. It sucks the camera issues are still here but all you can do is choose when lock-on works to your advantage and when it doesn't.

Once you get the hang of parrying (which isn't essential but can often help towards dominating a fight) and get past Gascoigne it should start to click.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 . . . 20 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here