What games are you playing?

Pages PREV 1 . . . 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 NEXT

Silentpony:
I'm in a gaming funk right now. I got a new gaming lappy last month and I can't get into any game. Since I got it I've gotten Doom 2016 and find it boring as shit, Battletech which is an okay mind-numbing game but its stupid hard and gets really annoying, Prey which is just shitty space Bioshock, and I've been trying to replay Arkham Asylum but I don't remember the console being this stiff and the controls this unresponsive.

I'm playing maybe 40mins of any one game and then just quitting, progress forgotten to just sit there bored and yet incapable of enjoying a game. It feels like I've lost the ability to actually get immersed in a game to the point I can't wait to play it again. Now it feels like I have to game to make up for lost time and justify my new lappy, all the while looking at the clock waiting for quitting time.

Maybe it's just me, but just trying to game on a laptop in general would make me feel that way.

Silentpony:
Prey which is just shitty space Bioshock.

*gasp*

How does this keep happening?! How come so many people just check out and find it boring? Like, to me it was the sequel to System Shock 2 I've wanted for ages, and woulda been my GOTY last year if Persona 5 hadn't also come out! 0_o

I've been on a retro-Metroidvania kick lately, and just recently finished Axiom Verge - one of those games I almost didn't want to play just so I'd still have more of it to look forward to. It was honestly that good.

Also, dat soundtrack. Jesus.

Just started Hollow Knight, and as far as the art direction goes, my hat's already off. This is a gorgeous little game.

hanselthecaretaker:
SNIP

To be fair I do have a nice setup. Good external keyboard, a really nice display screen and a cooling pad.

aegix drakan:

Silentpony:

*gasp*

How does this keep happening?! How come so many people just check out and find it boring? Like, to me it was the sequel to System Shock 2 I've wanted for ages, and woulda been my GOTY last year if Persona 5 hadn't also come out! 0_o

There's just nothing to it, nothing to grab on to. The story is just a standard 80s space 'thriller', the station is too bright and happy to be scary, the monsters are just weird black ink things, the combat is too taxing to be quick and run-gun-fun, and once the plot introduced losing memories and simulations and fake realities I just completely checked out of the plot. That's entry level twist build up, so I know not all is as it seems and the game is planning for me to get into it so it can twist me, and at that point I just feel manipulated and check out.

Silentpony:

hanselthecaretaker:
SNIP

To be fair I do have a nice setup. Good external keyboard, a really nice display screen and a cooling pad.

Ahh well that changes things a bit. So your laptop is basically treated as a more powerful, portable console. Nice.

aegix drakan:

Silentpony:

*gasp*

I'd rate it better then System Shock 2, but that one is a game that is insanely boring and only half playable, so not a high bar.

Prey17 is, averagey? I guess. The gunplays kind of subpar, and the enemy variety is atrocious (and the alleged stealth option is inane, which is a weird detriment coming from Arkane). The setting doesn't offer much fresh and the story's pretty basic until the ending. It mostly felt like mashing up a checklist of obvious influences without much substance of its own.

Seth Carter:

aegix drakan:

Silentpony:

*gasp*

I'd rate it better then System Shock 2, but that one is a game that is insanely boring and only half playable, so not a high bar.

Prey17 is, averagey? I guess. The gunplays kind of subpar, and the enemy variety is atrocious (and the alleged stealth option is inane, which is a weird detriment coming from Arkane). The setting doesn't offer much fresh and the story's pretty basic until the ending. It mostly felt like mashing up a checklist of obvious influences without much substance of its own.

I agree, Prey just feels uninspired. Not lazy, obviously a lot of work went into it, but they aimed for a low bar and made it. None of the mechanics really gel together. According to Steam I've played for 12 hours and the only weapon I ever use is the starting melee weapon. The ink monsters are too fast and the aiming is too shit to hit them with any gun, so I just beat them to death while casting the first basic magic power and its just bleh...

Silentpony:
I'm in a gaming funk right now. I got a new gaming lappy last month and I can't get into any game. Since I got it I've gotten Doom 2016 and find it boring as shit, Battletech which is an okay mind-numbing game but its stupid hard and gets really annoying, Prey which is just shitty space Bioshock, and I've been trying to replay Arkham Asylum but I don't remember the console being this stiff and the controls this unresponsive.

I'm playing maybe 40mins of any one game and then just quitting, progress forgotten to just sit there bored and yet incapable of enjoying a game. It feels like I've lost the ability to actually get immersed in a game to the point I can't wait to play it again. Now it feels like I have to game to make up for lost time and justify my new lappy, all the while looking at the clock waiting for quitting time.

Was it an upgrade or a replacement? When I upgrade my PC, I like to replay my old favorites with improved graphics, higher frame rate, or simply because they are worth replaying.

CaitSeith:

Silentpony:

Was it an upgrade or a replacement? When I upgrade my PC, I like to replay my old favorites with improved graphics, higher frame rate, or simply because they are worth replaying.

Both. My old lappy's fan failed and wasn't worth fixing as it was nearly a decade old. So any new laptop would be a huge upgrade anyway, but I made sure to get a nice one.

Ogoid:

Just started Hollow Knight, and as far as the art direction goes, my hat's already off. This is a gorgeous little game.

I've heard a lot of praise for it, it looks amazing and I really want to play it. I do get the feeling of being a souls-like with bugs in a bug-sized world with a lot of the same dark atmosphere. Am I correct in this impression?

Gundam Verses:
Nice action game for 20 bucks.

Ogoid:
I've been on a retro-Metroidvania kick lately, and just recently finished Axiom Verge - one of those games I almost didn't want to play just so I'd still have more of it to look forward to. It was honestly that good.

Also, dat soundtrack. Jesus.

Well d'oh. I was seriously considering it during the big sale, but the visuals didn't really appeal to me. A little too messy, I thought. And nao I haz regret!

OT: Randomly picked Max: The Curse of Brotherhood from muh extensive library. Enjoying it thus far, probably because I'm BRO 2 THE MAX! Also wondering which ridiculously underpriced fighting game I should start mashing my buttons in next. Got like 3 BlazBlues, a couple of Guilty Gears and a Skullgirls to pick from, aside from recent ones my ancient PC probably can't run that well. It's a guilty pleasure of mine, playing fighting games on easy mode like I had hooves for hands.

Dalisclock:

I've heard a lot of praise for it, it looks amazing and I really want to play it. I do get the feeling of being a souls-like with bugs in a bug-sized world with a lot of the same dark atmosphere. Am I correct in this impression?

Not quite as punishing or RPG elements-heavy (at least, not from my experience thus far), but yeah, not a bad comparison, I think.

StatusNil:

Well d'oh. I was seriously considering it during the big sale, but the visuals didn't really appeal to me. A little too messy, I thought. And nao I haz regret!

I know what you mean... I wasn't too impressed with it at first. I thought, "what the hell, isn't this simply... Metroid?" And to be fair, it is, to an extent. But it's got more than enough original (and fantastic) ideas of its own once you scratch the surface.

If you're into the genre, I really can't heap enough praise on it.

i'm mostly addicted to Splatoon 2 and Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy at the moment.

Far Cry Primal.

This game is amazing, and increadibly underappreciated, Noah Caldwell Gerveis made a very positive review and analysis of it:

Skip to 1:48:08 for the game.

Playing through Crash Bandicoot 2 at the moment, I finished the first game on PS4 but lost all will to continue after that bullshit. Bought the game again on PC and the controls are so much more responsive thanks to higher framerates, actually pretty enjoyable now.

Against my best judgement, I decided to replay Persona 4 & 5 and max out all the social links. Wish me luck.

The Evil Within got its hooks back in me after about a year or so break from playing. Just finished chapter 5 and am relieved to be outside and see the sun again in a way that Dark Souls could never muster. I still think the upgrade system is too excessively gamey, but the rest of the game has been much more enjoyable. I like how there's almost always a more tactical way of dispatching foes, even in the few instances where you're forced to fight them.

I also went and bought TEW2 on PSN sale, because I've heard it invokes feelings of Silent Hill Downpour in terms of level design, with the rest of the game also being much better overall in terms of freedom of approach, mission structure, story, sound and creature design to name a few aspects.

Alas, I probably won't get to that until I at least get through God of War's story and Platinum Bloodborne. GoW's enemies have ultimately made me want to drop the difficulty as PhoenixMGS said. They're just too spongy even with the different upgrades, and the Valkyries are mostly annoying. Hacking away with all power-up's juiced for several minutes on just the "Challenge" difficulty and then getting one-shot adds up to a big "meh." I'd like to think there is hidden strategy there but what I've found for stuns and staggers still takes too long and often feels trivial; far longer than the old games at least, and that's not exactly the best impression for advancing the series' game design. It's like they built a luxury car with a bunch of options, but made it so you have to drive it 5 miles before they work like they should.

Started playing Hollow Knight and just beat the first boss(The False Knight or as I like to call him "Bug Smough"). Oh, and got the first magic blast attack from the wierdo at the ancestral mound.

So yeah, rather digging this game. It reminds me of dark souls while but less stat heavy and sufficiently different. Not to mention not as heavily dependent on a learning curve as the souls games.

However, Conifer and his wife have a real racket going on there. So they'll sell me maps(read nearly blank pages) and markers and a quill, all for some decent money early game, but I have to do all the actual work to get any use out of them. Gee.....THanks.

I made myself a goal to not buy anymore games until I finish at least half of the massive backlog I have. I'm slowly making my way through, though I did break the goal a little because when my Xbox One died and I bought a new one at GS they had a sale where I could get $50 if I got a new system, so I got Nier: Automata to go with my new console.

I've just finished [Ghost Recon: Wildlands + it' DLC. Now I'm not sure where to go next. My massive list, semi-ordered, is;

Assassin's Creed Black Flag + DLC
Assassin's Creed Unity
Assassin's Creed Syndicate
Batman: Arkham Knight
Borderlands 2: The Pre-Sequel
Dishonored 2
Final Fantasy XV + DLC
Final Fantasy XIV Stormblood
Final Fantasy Type-O HD
Dark Souls 3 + DLC
Deus Ex Machinia: Mankind Divided + DLC
Marvel vs. CAPCOM: Infinite
Mirror's Edge Catalyst
Nier: Automata

Bayonetta 2
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Pokemon Sun
Pokemon Ultra Sun
Fire Emblem FATES: Revelations
Fire Emblem: Shadows of Valentia
Senran Kagura: Deep Crimson 2

Senran Kagura ESTIVAL VERSUS
Senran Kagura SHINOVI VERSUS
Sonicomi
Shadowran: Dragonfall
Tales of Besria

Just kind of stuck as to where to go next for the next game to play through.

Started playing Metroid: Samus Return. Having played Metroid II several times in the past, I wondered the direction they would take with this remake. So far, I like it (oh, how I missed the Spider Ball version that isn't restricted to just tracks!). The Metroid battles are more difficult, but losing is less punishing (it puts you back outside the room in the same condition as you entered). They added several mechanics (traditional and new ones) and redesigned the map, while still keeping the original linear progress style.

They put a lot of effort on the background design, sometimes it's deep caves with moving fauna (occasionally some giant creature just hanging around makes me go "WTF is that!?").

Finished M:SR. They made most enemies to have tells before attacking, you can counter their attacks like a parry and follow it with a highly damaging shot, and added to the Metroid hitting really hard, I felt I was playing Metroid-Souls. They dropped a fanservice bomb by the end of the game, and I hate to admit it, but I felt really nostalgic when I recognized the baby Metroid SFX from Super Metroid. Now I'm replaying it in hard mode with the 3D on, and I'm noticing how well the background makes use of it.

Skyrim, on and off. I've been at it for 30 hours total and I'm having fun but a bit at a loss. I feel like I'm missing out on critical aspects of stat building and weapon/armor customizing just by playing blind. Any blatant truths I should be aware of, everybody?

Assassin's Creed Unity - Picked up a digital copy of this about 2 years ago for like ?1.50 but only got around to starting it this week. It's...ok is the best thing I can say for it. There's fun moments for sure and the French revolution setting is something I don't think I've ever seen in a game before but there's a lot of bad stuff too. This is definitely the buggiest of the AC games I've played. Nothing game breaking but I'm encountering graphical glitches around every corner (some are funny mind). There's too many of the old annoyances like the protagonist having a mind of his own when it comes to parkour half the time, the enemies are clairvoyant/telepathic, the combat is probably the weakest part of the game thanks to the camera most of the time, the missions are the same old same old that every AC before it has had and the map is an absolute cluttered mess

For the prices I paid though it's grand. I've gotten my monies worth

Johnny Novgorod:
Skyrim, on and off. I've been at it for 30 hours total and I'm having fun but a bit at a loss. I feel like I'm missing out on critical aspects of stat building and weapon/armor customizing just by playing blind. Any blatant truths I should be aware of, everybody?

I'm actually replaying Skyrim on Steam, and this run seems very different than my first run on 360. Feels like they dialed back the difficulty. On my first playthrough the Red Eagle guy kicked my high level, fully kitted out in dragon bone armor ass, as well as fully kitted out Lydia's. This time at barely 10 I took him on with just some steel weapons and wiped the floor with him.

But from what I've played stats and weapons don't really matter.

Johnny Novgorod:

Its not particularly in-depth, or challenging unless you crank up the difficulty (which will just give you spongehealth enemies).

The two non-specific common bits of advice

-Try and avoid over-levelling non combat stats (like don't spam crafting for levelups) because the level scaling will turn around and kick you in the ass if you keep leveling from things that aren't boosting your combat ability.
-If you're a mage, you're basically going to need all the cost-reduction items you can staple on unless you dump some mod in there that fixes the plethora of stupid design choices (the easiest way to do that is through enchanting your own stuff, but that runs into problems with point A).

Johnny Novgorod:

1: Do you use any mods for character creation or perks?

2: What kind of build do you want to roll?

Smithnikov:

Johnny Novgorod:

1: Do you use any mods for character creation or perks?

2: What kind of build do you want to roll?

No mods, straight vanilla Skyrim. For build I just defaulted to two-handed warrior but I'm using the bow a lot.
My main concern is not wasting skill points in useless stats or more generally missing out on stuff because, frankly, it's an intimidatingly massive world and I'm getting pulled in every direction at once.

Silentpony:

Johnny Novgorod:

I'm actually replaying Skyrim on Steam, and this run seems very different than my first run on 360. Feels like they dialed back the difficulty. On my first playthrough the Red Eagle guy kicked my high level, fully kitted out in dragon bone armor ass, as well as fully kitted out Lydia's. This time at barely 10 I took him on with just some steel weapons and wiped the floor with him.

But from what I've played stats and weapons don't really matter.

Well just went ahead and took on Red Eagle to gauge how underleveled or overleveled I am and so far it's been pretty easy.
Don't even know where to begin with those giants though. One of them barely touched me and I instantly ragdolled into the stratosphere. Sheesh.

I finally beat the Geirdriful Valkyrie in God of War after a few dozen attempts. I'm at level 5 on Give Me a Challenge and was very tempted to drop the difficulty. It's the one thing that stands out as a sore thumb in the game is how spongy most of the enemies are, especially these bosses. I can understand high health, but it gets old when you're essentially just slowly draining a meter vs actually damaging them physically in any significant, dynamic or tactical way. Getting one-shot for making a mistake is insult to injury and a frustrating loss of time.

For the time being I'll stick with my current difficulty but I wonder if it even matters in this game. Apparently there are no trophies for difficulty and the only reward you get for beating the highest is a couple "epic" ranked shields. Not much incentive it seems. The game is getting NG+ sometime later though, so I'm wondering what differences will be included there.

For games like this with a set protagonist, it's always been odd how you have to keep rebuilding their skills with each game, instead of them already being powerful at least in terms of core stats and abilities. It's understandable given the first entry in this reboot, but for the sequels the only things we should have to level up again are new items and gear obtained.

Johnny Novgorod:

No mods, straight vanilla Skyrim. For build I just defaulted to two-handed warrior but I'm using the bow a lot.
My main concern is not wasting skill points in useless stats or more generally missing out on stuff because, frankly, it's an intimidatingly massive world and I'm getting pulled in every direction at once.

Gotcha.

It's easy to fall into the Archery rabbit hole, unfortunately, as ranged combat is pretty cheap and powerful. You gotta have some stamina and patience to make the melee builds and ESPECIALLY any magic build.

For a vanilla play, here's what I recommend personally

Orc or Nord for a race.

Focus On: Two handed, Heavy/Light Armor, Smithing, Alchemy (this is where your main source of healing is going to come from, after all). You can put a bit of time into Archery just so you have something to plink dragons or other distant targets, and you'll want to at least get a little bit of Enchanting perks later on, but most any other skill should be mostly ignored.

Smithnikov:

Johnny Novgorod:

Gotcha.

It's easy to fall into the Archery rabbit hole, unfortunately, as ranged combat is pretty cheap and powerful. You gotta have some stamina and patience to make the melee builds and ESPECIALLY any magic build.

Orc or Nord for a race.

Focus On: Two handed, Heavy/Light Armor, Smithing, Alchemy (this is where your main source of healing is going to come from, after all). You can put a bit of time into Archery just so you have something to plink dragons or other distant targets, and you'll want to at least get a little bit of Enchanting perks later on, but most any other skill should be mostly ignored.

Is improving Block worth it? I'm focusing almost entirely on Heavy Armor, what's the upside vs. Light? I'm doing some Alchemy. As for Smithing/Enchanting... the thing is I'm never sure what to upgrade or craft because I'm always finding slightly better weapons/armor every quest or so and it seems like a waste to invest crafting stuff on gear I'll be peddling some minutes afterwards. Then again I'm not 100% sure what's rare and valuable, what's vendor trash, what should I save vs. what to invest immediately.

And yeah I've read how most players seem to end up going the "sneaky archer" way. Don't mind it myself but it seems I get to level up a lot more perks by fighting hand to hand.

I have three games that I want to talk about. The first being Yoku's Island Express, a charming little indie Metroidvania from Team 17. Basically, you play as a dung beetle named Yoku who is rolling a ball (not of dung, but you can get a dung ball later in the game) and other than left a right movements, all other actions are controlled by the various pinball bumpers and flippers that are scattered around the island. This game is so much fun, the music is amazing and the graphics are great. Its not the hardest or the longest of games, but it is worth a look if you enjoy pinball or Metroidvanias, its pretty cheap which is another thing going in its favour.

The next game I want to talk about is Death Road to Canada. Another fun indie game where you basically have to take a road trip from Florida to Canada to try to escape the zombie apocalypse. Along the way, you have to scavenge for supplies like food, med kits and gas and weapons to keep you alive as you try to get to Canada. This game starts out pretty easily, but quickly gets hard as the game throws random occurrences that will either help you, or totally fuck up your chances of getting to Canada. The most annoying one being losing your car and having to walk and the game deciding that what you need is a hole in your bag that makes you lose most of your supplies. But this game is fun, if slightly annoying.

And finally, I have just started another playthrough of Persona 5, because fuck it, what was I going to use those 130 hours for anyway? My favourite game of last year.

Now waiting for Wrecking Ball to go live in Overwatch and pray that the Internet Gods are kind to me as he looks like so much fun to play.

For the last week I've been playing Hearts of Iron IV. It's so-and-so. The best thing about it as a product is clearly the modding community. Equestria at War mod is addictive.

The Crystal Empire shall rise again. Plus the accompanying music mod is amazing.

The Fallout mod is a work in progress, but shows a hell of a lot of promise as well.

Johnny Novgorod:

Smithnikov:

Johnny Novgorod:

Gotcha.

Orc or Nord for a race.

Is improving Block worth it? I'm focusing almost entirely on Heavy Armor, what's the upside vs. Light? I'm doing some Alchemy. As for Smithing/Enchanting... the thing is I'm never sure what to upgrade or craft because I'm always finding slightly better weapons/armor every quest or so and it seems like a waste to invest crafting stuff on gear I'll be peddling some minutes afterwards. Then again I'm not 100% sure what's rare and valuable, what's vendor trash, what should I save vs. what to invest immediately.

And yeah I've read how most players seem to end up going the "sneaky archer" way. Don't mind it myself but it seems I get to level up a lot more perks by fighting hand to hand.

Block can be worth it, just because of the Slow Time when an enemy power attacks perk and if you use a shield you can use it to soak Dragon breath attacks at higher levels.

Heavy Armor is easier if you're just equipping armor and wearing it, but if you do any sort of improvements Light Armor quickly surpasses it because it hits Armor Cap pretty fast when improved AND is lighter AND has better perks.

Suggestion, if playing on PC:

Get the Skyrim Script Extender - SKSE

Choose the version you need for either Oldrim or Special Edition.

If playing on Special Edition, then get this Mod: Achievements Mod Enabler - So that you still get achievements while playing

Then install the Unofficial Skyrim Patch for whichever version of the game you're playing: UOSP

Then install SkyUI: SkyUI 5

Then finally install Ordinator: Ordinator: Perks of Skyrim.

Basically every game of Skyrim should be played with these installed.

Script Extender is need for these mods and others to work. SkyUI fixes the UI to be much more PC friendly. UOSP fixes a lot of bugs Bethesda left behind. Finally, Ordinator makes roleplaying and making a character MUCH more fun and interesting by radically changing and upgrading how perks work; now there are legitimate choices and styles of play. Rather than just "Stealth Archer" and "Everything else".

Paragon Fury:

To add to that...

Immersive Weapons/Armor
More Interesting Loot
Hit Locations
Apocalypse: Magic of Skyrim (a MUST if you're doing any spell caster)

Also, Ordinator will make your Heavy Armor more of a viable option in addition to the other myriad of improvements it brings, so also a must have.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here