What games are you playing?

Pages PREV 1 . . . 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 NEXT

Smithnikov:

Paragon Fury:

To add to that...

I mean, we could go on and on about mods (SIC, Deadly Dragons, Heavy Weapons, Morrowloot, Forgotten City, Falskaar etc.) but I was just listing a couple I felt should almost be part of the base game because the add to the game while still making it feel like...Skyrim. Kinda making it a Skyrim 2.0 if you will.

Once you start getting into Morrowloot, Apocalypse, SIC, Hit Locations, Wildcat etc. you start changing a lot of the game. Ordinator is about how far I would go for most average users just because it feels like it really belongs in the game while still massively improving the game.

Though you know what could REALLY use an Ordinator mod? Fallout 4. God that game's replay-ability really suffers without something like that to help it's perk system.

I just picked up Shadow of War because A: WB dropped the invasive and gamebreaking microtransaction system that made it unplayable at launch, and B: (coincidentally I'm sure) they had a sale.

Now, on one hand I had boycotted it because of the microtransaction bs (frankly not a big sacrifice considering how bad it was because of that crap) and cynically I'd have to believe they had wrung all the cash out of that shit so now they backtrack and reap sales anew from the ashes like they made New Coke or something. And no one should be rewarded for that kind of behavior.

On the other hand, I really liked Shadow of Mordor and wanted more (actually I just wanted a game based around the Nemesis system, preferably a new IP but its WB and they wouldn't dare get caught making a new IP) and even though the timing is suspect and seemingly manipulative... other publishers might notice if a game has a big sales spike when it kicks microtransactions to the curb.

But enough about all that, how does it play now that it isn't pay-2-win.

Well, this is hard to explain. One thing I liked about SoM was the build and development and evolution of gameplay. Having to start all sneaky and stealthy because getting into pitched battles ended with Talion legging it or getting pounded into mulch. Then after leveling up being able to walk into entire hordes of orcs and murdering 4 or 5 every time you turn around or cough. With the Nemesis system evolving along the way first just providing enemies, then potentially turned allies. It was a build that had real contrast.

Shadow of War on the other hand starts you in the middle of SoM's skill ramp (leaving you with some of Talion's skills but taking away others, all with no explanation as to why that happened other than simply "because this is a sequel and we said so") and a few short minutes later you are back to comfortably overleveled... making the rest of the game kinda shallow and grindy. I'm still having fun, but it really destroyed the spark of what made SoM good.

Maybe get it when its on sale. Otherwise just go back through Shadow of Mordor, its way better.

Kyrian007:

Well, this is hard to explain. One thing I liked about SoM was the build and development and evolution of gameplay. Having to start all sneaky and stealthy because getting into pitched battles ended with Talion legging it or getting pounded into mulch. Then after leveling up being able to walk into entire hordes of orcs and murdering 4 or 5 every time you turn around or cough. With the Nemesis system evolving along the way first just providing enemies, then potentially turned allies. It was a build that had real contrast.

Shadow of War on the other hand starts you in the middle of SoM's skill ramp (leaving you with some of Talion's skills but taking away others, all with no explanation as to why that happened other than simply "because this is a sequel and we said so") and a few short minutes later you are back to comfortably overleveled? making the rest of the game kinda shallow and grindy. I'm still having fun, but it really destroyed the spark of what made SoM good.

Maybe get it when its on sale. Otherwise just go back through Shadow of Mordor, its way better.

Can you still sprint-brutalize your way across maps?

I liked to imagine orcs are just vegging out, having a bit of a 'me' day, and all of a sudden some crazy murder man on PCP just ruining their picnic. Them just scattering away because who wants to touch that sort of crazy with a ten foot pole?

It was kind of cathartic to start a fight with a warchief or captain by stealth brutalizing one of his henchmen to scatter the peons.

Addendum_Forthcoming:

Can you still sprint-brutalize your way across maps?

I liked to imagine orcs are just vegging out, having a bit of a 'me' day, and all of a sudden some crazy murder man on PCP just ruining their picnic. Them just scattering away because who wants to touch that sort of crazy with a ten foot pole?

It was kind of cathartic to start a fight with a warchief or captain by stealth brutalizing one of his henchmen to scatter the peons.

Well, you can't for about 20 minutes. Brutalize is one of those skills Talion "forgot" for some undefined reason (at least Nintendo had Samus trip and break her suit to de-power her between games... that's stupid but its an attempt at an explanation.) But when you liked it as much as I did you grab it after picking up a few other essentials and low level skills first. And the "evolution" of the skills is that after purchasing a skill (25%/75% new/forgotten old) there are now 3 "sub perks" for each one that add a little or modify each slightly. Like a blinding attack can be modified to do 1 of 3 types of elemental damage too. You could buy all 3, but only one can be active at a time. Usually the only good one is unavailable until you have leveled up so high its just another hugely overpowered add on. And you don't want to buy any of the lower level ones you could, because that's wasting a skill point on something you will turn off later when you buy the sub perk you actually want. So the leveling system has lots of new features and perks and skills... that you will never use.

The only good evolution of the idea is you have gear now. Weapons and armor you can switch out with different looks (barely different, but decent enough) and differing levels of power and protection. Elite and Legendary versions of each have passive buffs and more that can be unlocked with little checklists. So a lev 7 unique armor once unlocked may level up to 10 or 11, extending its usefulness so you may not want to abandon it for the common level 10 armor with no passive buff. And there are upgradable crystals you can slot in to add different passive buffs as well. That part works and is an actual improvement. And its the only one I've found so far. According to the skill chart I can later dominate a drake and fly around. But the areas are so small I don't even want to think about how many invisible walls there must be. You can sprint from one side of each area to the other in about 90 seconds, flight will be just another pretty useless gimmick that won't be as efficient as just being on foot.

Octopath Traveller.

Haven't gotten far into the game, but I've enjoyed it so far. The way the game is structured into several smaller, sort of non-linear stories rather than one big overarcing one is pretty fun. I like the pseudo-PS1 graphics, although I'd have preferred a less narrow depth of field and also less early 7th gen levels of bloom. Combat system is fine. Reminds me a little of FFX in how it lets you keep track of the exact turn order. I also like that exploiting enemy weaknesses can interrupt their turns, effectively giving you extra turns while leaving them more vulnerable, which feels sort of Shin Megami Tensei/Persona-ish. Encounter rate is kind of annoying though, although one character has a skill that reduces it. Overall, nothing earth-shattering, but decent enough.

Kyrian007:

Well, you can't for about 20 minutes. Brutalize is one of those skills Talion "forgot" for some undefined reason (at least Nintendo had Samus trip and break her suit to de-power her between games... that's stupid but its an attempt at an explanation.) But when you liked it as much as I did you grab it after picking up a few other essentials and low level skills first. And the "evolution" of the skills is that after purchasing a skill (25%/75% new/forgotten old) there are now 3 "sub perks" for each one that add a little or modify each slightly. Like a blinding attack can be modified to do 1 of 3 types of elemental damage too. You could buy all 3, but only one can be active at a time. Usually the only good one is unavailable until you have leveled up so high its just another hugely overpowered add on. And you don't want to buy any of the lower level ones you could, because that's wasting a skill point on something you will turn off later when you buy the sub perk you actually want. So the leveling system has lots of new features and perks and skills... that you will never use.

The only good evolution of the idea is you have gear now. Weapons and armor you can switch out with different looks (barely different, but decent enough) and differing levels of power and protection. Elite and Legendary versions of each have passive buffs and more that can be unlocked with little checklists. So a lev 7 unique armor once unlocked may level up to 10 or 11, extending its usefulness so you may not want to abandon it for the common level 10 armor with no passive buff. And there are upgradable crystals you can slot in to add different passive buffs as well. That part works and is an actual improvement. And its the only one I've found so far. According to the skill chart I can later dominate a drake and fly around. But the areas are so small I don't even want to think about how many invisible walls there must be. You can sprint from one side of each area to the other in about 90 seconds, flight will be just another pretty useless gimmick that won't be as efficient as just being on foot.

Argh .... sounds like a 'pass' to me. It sounds like the thrill of learning all the little nuances will simply remind me they're making it hard for the sake of dragging on. I know it sounds petty, but with a game like Shadows of Mordor I don't want to have to think too hard. Runes, some obectives, so easy to define skill paths, and sprawling environments for me to play in.

It sounds like I'm going to have to work for my fun at this point and that's a shame. Currently I'm playing Hearts of Iron IV with a whole lot of mods, and for the price point I'm getting a ridiculous amount of content, and a ridiculous amount of grand strategy, but the difference is you go into a game expecting that and it makes you feel like some nigh omniscient dictator managing a warring nation.

I don't want to go into another Shady Mordy to spend hours moving stats around. Which is odd, because I love Monster Hunter.... but I feel that part of the immersion is that break inbetrween hunts where you plan your next exciting quest is part of the fun. Unlocking stuff is character progression, and the journey to do so exciting and thoughtful....

This just sounds like a chore.

Addendum_Forthcoming:
Argh .... sounds like a 'pass' to me. It sounds like the thrill of learning all the little nuances will simply remind me they're making it hard for the sake of dragging on. I know it sounds petty, but with a game like Shadows of Mordor I don't want to have to think too hard. Runes, some obectives, so easy to define skill paths, and sprawling environments for me to play in.

It sounds like I'm going to have to work for my fun at this point and that's a shame. Currently I'm playing Hearts of Iron IV with a whole lot of mods, and for the price point I'm getting a ridiculous amount of content, and a ridiculous amount of grand strategy, but the difference is you go into a game expecting that and it makes you feel like some nigh omniscient dictator managing a warring nation.

I don't want to go into another Shady Mordy to spend hours moving stats around. Which is odd, because I love Monster Hunter.... but I feel that part of the immersion is that break inbetrween hunts where you plan your next exciting quest is part of the fun. Unlocking stuff is character progression, and the journey to do so exciting and thoughtful....

This just sounds like a chore.

What made it fun is still there, its just spread much thinner. There are more than 2 maps... awesome. The are all about a third the size of the old ones... boo. There are more skills... awesome. You aren't allowed to use most of them except one at a time and most are a waste of a skill point... boo. I'll say this for the maps, they make up for some of the smallness with increased verticality. And since Talion can climb nearly as quick as he can walk or run that's a positive improvement. I guess I can't say I'm not having fun dropping in on an orc's hunting party and watching him scream and run away because I've made him run away from me so often he is now called "Gurnk who Flees" and he's developed a debilitating fear... of ME. That never stops being funny. But I can't help but think I'd be having just as much fun reloading the first one, and I'd be $20 richer.

Oh and I got the skill where you can ride a drake like a ringwraith. And the way they solved the "flying around inside a small map" problem... Drakes move at about 1/2 the speed that Talion can on foot. Yes... travel by air is considerably slower and a hassle to initiate, they consider that a "solution..." Well, I didn't hit any invisible walls I guess. But making Drake riding feel like you are on a ZTR lawn mower isn't particularly exciting.

After some more time with God of War, I'm finally in tune with the combat system and loving it. It took a combination of unlocking enough skills and tinkering with as many strategies involving them, but now I think it's going to be tough going back to Bloodborne in a push for the final trophy. I like the finely-tuned rhythm of Bloodborne but this clearly outclasses it in depth and breadth of options at your disposal. I'm constantly thinking of what new combos I could cook up between the different runes and Atreus' assistance. The responsiveness of some attack transitions could still be better, and the context-sensitive actions can be touchy depending on their application, but I really haven't had any notably unfair deaths in quite a while. Even the camera hasn't been bothering me, so I must be getting used to the rhythm of this game too.

Plus it never really fails to impress visually. I love trying out new gear, especially considering how detailed it is. Just got the complete Clarity set and like how it kinda matches my axe.

Exploration is also a big plus, and feels more rewarding than most recent games I've played, even though I haven't really done enough of it yet. I still am yet to find a single treasure off of the various maps I've collected. Really want to find the Boat Captain's Key as it's a clever nostalgia piece.

Having said that, I think it would be tougher to play through a second time, simply because the progression is definitely still more narrative-driven than player driven. Perhaps the upcoming NG+ will shake things up enough though. I'd still like to do a "God of War" run sometime, but I should probably at least finish MGSV's story first (even though it apparently wasn't finished itself).

Recently finished a playthrough of Dark Souls Remastered. My 6th playthrough of the game overall. Remaster wasn't much of an improvement over modded Prepare to Die edition, but hey, it was an excuse to go back start a new character and play through this all time great game again.

Now I'm playing Grim Dawn. Feels very similar to Diablo 3, though probably not as polished, but with a much less cheesy story/lore. Game mechanics/stats are super intricate, which is interesting. Fun so far, if a bit easy. Hoping the challenge ramps up on subsequent unlocked higher difficulties, so those complicated stats and build varieties start to actually matter, and so it hooks me on the endgame loot grind.

Nostalgia bring me back here.
Also because I got a Ban in ResetEra, soooo....

Right now I playing:

- Nier Automata
I really should had played it earlier. Great way of story telling and I. Only in the middle of the game...I think.

- Watch_Dogs 2
It have a colorful world which make me quite happy for playing. Also a solid enough online multiplayer.

- Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
Late for the party cause I play the PC version...
I will be honest. So far the story is meh, but the way the game "take note" of your choices is really interesting.

Plans to play:
Zero Escape 3
Stein;Gates Zero
Heaven Will be Mine
Dead Cell
Chasm
Chaos;Head

aegix drakan:

Silentpony:
Prey which is just shitty space Bioshock.

*gasp*

How does this keep happening?! How come so many people just check out and find it boring? Like, to me it was the sequel to System Shock 2 I've wanted for ages, and woulda been my GOTY last year if Persona 5 hadn't also come out! 0_o

I played myself the new Prey as well.
My experience with it was annoying. Specifically I gave up when I reach the part which you were fighting the giant lighting Blobs....
However I will admit the Ending [saw it on YouTube] was very good.

Also I didn't liked System Shock 2.
Persona 5 was very good, but not near as great as the Persona 4 and 3.

Has anyone played Hellblade?

I was reading an article about games that are similar to the new God of War, and aside from some of the examples not making much sense at all (Bayonetta...really...?), this one was considered to closest you can get. Which is surprising seeing as it's a Team Ninja game. Got me kind of curious. I'd like to see their take on Norse Hell, and gameplay that apparently very different from what they're typically known for.

hanselthecaretaker:

I was reading an article about games that are similar to the new God of War, and aside from some of the examples not making much sense at all (Bayonetta...really...?), this one was considered to closest you can get. Which is surprising seeing as it's a Team Ninja game. Got me kind of curious. I'd like to see their take on Norse Hell, and gameplay that apparently very different from what they're typically known for.

I played Hellblade, not the new GOW sadly.

I guess I can describe the combat of Hellblade "personal". The camera is very close to your character covering nearly the half screen giving you the illusion of danger even if you fighting one enemy.
Dodging a lot of the key for survival and some good balance counter attack do the trick to fight the enemies.
To be simple, the combat is confusing at first, but you will appeaciate it if you learn the way it ment to be played.

hanselthecaretaker:
I?d still like to do a ?God of War? run sometime, but I should probably at least finish MGSV?s story first (even though it apparently wasn?t finished itself).

Hate to break it to you but MGV's story is finished once you fight Snoffalufagus(whatever the Metal Gear in this game is called) and you reach the end of Act 1. There's story stuff in Act 2 but pretty much none of it is resolved, except for closing out quiet's arc.

Oh, and the inane twist, which IMHO just cements the feeling that you could ignore the game entirely storywise and not miss anything, since it turns out really very little of it ends up mattering. You could get much the same impact from transitioning to "Big Boss ends up in a Helicopter Crash" to "Solid Snake Infiltrates Outer Heaven 20 years later".

Dalisclock:

hanselthecaretaker:
I?d still like to do a ?God of War? run sometime, but I should probably at least finish MGSV?s story first (even though it apparently wasn?t finished itself).

Hate to break it to you but MGV's story is finished once you fight Snoffalufagus(whatever the Metal Gear in this game is called) and you reach the end of Act 1. There's story stuff in Act 2 but pretty much none of it is resolved, except for closing out quiet's arc.

Oh, and the inane twist, which IMHO just cements the feeling that you could ignore the game entirely storywise and not miss anything, since it turns out really very little of it ends up mattering. You could get much the same impact from transitioning to "Big Boss ends up in a Helicopter Crash" to "Solid Snake Infiltrates Outer Heaven 20 years later".

So that monstrosity from the mountainside base I played hide and seek with outside was the big payoff? Now I've basically just been tooling around Africa for kicks? Hmmmm...thanks?

I suppose I don't mind the fact I took a long break from it then. I still want to finish all the missions because I like the gameplay freedom and developing new gear, finding Easter eggs, etc. but yeah, not really in a rush to get back now.

Just started playing Breath of the Wild. Can't say I'm overly impressed so far TBH. I mean visually it looks great, but I'm not sure I like the open world formula for a Zelda game, since I now have to go find some raw meat to make a recipe so I can get to another one of those micro-dungeons so some old dude will give me his glider thing. I'm kinda longing for the classic Zelda formula at this point. Also the weapon degradation sucks.

I'm also playing an indi game called The Vagrant. It's not bad, but last night I came across a platforming section where the game could really have benefited from a run button instead of having to tap forward twice to run. The controls don't always acknowledge when I do that and some of the platforms I have to make running jumps off of are really small.

Just started I am Setsuna. Very classic-feeling Jrpg. I'm in love~

hanselthecaretaker:

Dalisclock:

hanselthecaretaker:

So that monstrosity from the mountainside base I played hide and seek with outside was the big payoff? Now I've basically just been tooling around Africa for kicks? Hmmmm...thanks?

I suppose I don't mind the fact I took a long break from it then. I still want to finish all the missions because I like the gameplay freedom and developing new gear, finding Easter eggs, etc. but yeah, not really in a rush to get back now.

Yep, the big "Infiltrate the base to find Skull Face" and then the "Fight Metal Gear" missions are essentially the finale(and a damn good one). The issue is that the game just keeps going.

However, if you're enjoying it for the gameplay and the fucking around with the FOX engine and all venom's toys, go for it. The game is the most fun when you're enjoying the great gameplay for what it is.

Just don't expect any story payoff from this point out. At best, when you get to the "Twist", you unlock a bunch of tapes called "The Truth" that help bring larger context to the story. Unfortunately, these tapes are pretty much all there is to that and honestly, if that what you're interested in, just listen to them on youtube. They really, really should have been integrated into the game itself but apparently actually giving the Villain some characterization and expanding on the CYPHER angle was too fucking hard to actually build the game around(5 years just wasn't enough time, it seems).

I'd really love if Peace Walker was remade with the FOX engine, combining the fact it acts as a fitting conclusion to the Big Bosses era and replacing the lackluster gameplay engine PW had with the MGSV gameplay and just act like MGSV never happened(which shouldn't be hard considering it kinda doesn't matter in the larger scope).

Canadamus Prime:
Just started playing Breath of the Wild. Can't say I'm overly impressed so far TBH. I mean visually it looks great, but I'm not sure I like the open world formula for a Zelda game, since I now have to go find some raw meat to make a recipe so I can get to another one of those micro-dungeons so some old dude will give me his glider thing. I'm kinda longing for the classic Zelda formula at this point. Also the weapon degradation sucks.

I'm also playing an indi game called The Divergant. It's not bad, but last night I came across a platforming section where the game could really have benefited from a run button instead of having to tap forward twice to run. The controls don't always acknowledge when I do that and some of the platforms I have to make running jumps off of are really small.

I am trying to find the game "The Divergant" without success.
Can you provide a link please?

SweetShark:

Canadamus Prime:

I'm also playing an indi game called The Divergant. It's not bad, but last night I came across a platforming section where the game could really have benefited from a run button instead of having to tap forward twice to run. The controls don't always acknowledge when I do that and some of the platforms I have to make running jumps off of are really small.

I am trying to find the game "The Divergant" without success.
Can you provide a link please?

Oh sorry, I just checked. It's called "The Vagrant" not "The Divergant" I corrected my original post.
If you still want a link,
https://store.steampowered.com/app/598700/The_Vagrant/

Just started >Observer, and I must say I'm very impressed. The game world aesthetic is fantastic, a blend of Cyberpunk and 1984, and the narrative and game mechanics really blend together nicely to draw you into the story. Playing the part of an Observer (a cyber-enhanced detective) you must solve a series of brutal murders, using various implants to scour crimescenes for clues to the puzzles and riddles the game presents you with. And just recently I jacked into the head of a torture victim in order to identify their attacker, entering an ever-changing and incredibly disturbed dreamstate as I searched through their subconscious for clues the physical crimescene could not provide. I'm only an hour or so in but already I would heartily recommend this game to anyone who hasn't played it yet.

hanselthecaretaker:

Yep. It's not a bad game - great attempts have been made to portray Senua as a woman driven mad by grief, and the constant whisperings of the various different voices in her head, narrating every moment - some scared, some angry, depressed, mocking, triumphant, determined - are incredibly well done. Unfortunately the combat (and there is a lot of combat for a supposed exploration into the human psyche) is quite dull and lacklustre. You've got block, dodge, light, heavy and break attacks, and that's pretty much your lot. Different enemies are vulnerable to your three different attacks and once you figure out which attack corresponds to which apparition you've got a fairly easy button-mash on your hands. There is another attempt at a quirky mechanic, which is to say Senua's taint, which grows each time she is defeated - once the taint spreads up her neck into her head the game is over. Now, although that might sound interesting it is essentially just a lives system. I want to re-iterate though - Hellblade is not a bad game. It's a great story with a very personal narrative that has, unfortunately, been wrapped around a very workmanlike set of game mechanics.

About to finish my NG+ run in Persona 4 (didn't manage to max out all my Social Links tho).

Next is NG+ in Persona 5.

Finally finished God of War's main story. One of the better journeys I've taken in gaming. I like how tranquil the...I guess you'd call it an epilogue, was. After a fervent battle that kind of set a tone for what may be to come, you still have yet left to do what you originally set out to, "while I still have the strength". Mimir and the two blacksmith dwarves were some of the most entertaining characters I've experienced in recent years as well.

I also like how the game continues on after completing the story. I'm really curious to see what they do with NG+. Now I have to Platinum Bloodborne before returning to the Lake of Nine.

A couple interesting videos that anyone's whose played the game might enjoy, about how it came to be -

Well, I did it sooner than I thought. It's been a long journey, but I now have my trifecta of Platinums for Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and finally about an hour ago, Bloodborne. I'm most fond of Demon's being my first in the SoulsBorne series, and it was possibly most frustrating waiting for the Pure Bladestone to drop and wrap my head around its exceptionally cryptic design. Dark Souls was probably the most pleasant one to get, due to prior experience and what seemed like slightly more relaxed requirements.

Bloodborne required the most raw skill of the three imo, especially with the Chalice Dungeons. It was the most straight-forward in terms of requirements, but I also had to make a NG+ run because I missed both missable umbilical cords the first time. I almost beat Gehrman again on the first try, but got a bit too greedy and ran out of stamina while he clung to the last sliver of health and sliced through my exhausted hunter. The Moon Presence took three tries mostly due to its erratic patterns and the fact I was already getting tired from chasing Micolash around far too long a while earlier. Mergo went down first try this time though. Some day I'll get into the DLC when it has another price drop.

Now it's back to God of War to continue exploring the Lake of Nine. I also wanted to try out Mafia 3 as it's "free" this month. MGSV has been sitting idly for most of the year too, so I'm about ready to get back into Act 2.

I spend most of my gaming time on WoW (yes, still) and Overwatch, but I've been playing Wolfenstein 2 lately. It's pretty enjoyable, but it's not as good as the first one and the level design is still very unintuitive, so I've had to look up videos a couple of times. I'm nearly finished with it, then I plan to get stuck into God of War which a friend lent me.

Kyrian007:
What made it fun is still there, its just spread much thinner. There are more than 2 maps... awesome. The are all about a third the size of the old ones... boo. There are more skills... awesome. You aren't allowed to use most of them except one at a time and most are a waste of a skill point... boo. I'll say this for the maps, they make up for some of the smallness with increased verticality. And since Talion can climb nearly as quick as he can walk or run that's a positive improvement. I guess I can't say I'm not having fun dropping in on an orc's hunting party and watching him scream and run away because I've made him run away from me so often he is now called "Gurnk who Flees" and he's developed a debilitating fear... of ME. That never stops being funny. But I can't help but think I'd be having just as much fun reloading the first one, and I'd be $20 richer.

Oh and I got the skill where you can ride a drake like a ringwraith. And the way they solved the "flying around inside a small map" problem... Drakes move at about 1/2 the speed that Talion can on foot. Yes... travel by air is considerably slower and a hassle to initiate, they consider that a "solution..." Well, I didn't hit any invisible walls I guess. But making Drake riding feel like you are on a ZTR lawn mower isn't particularly exciting.

Argh... yeah, all of these sounds like problems I don't feel like having to deal with. I think I've invested more time with the Equestria at War mod of HoI IV than I did with Shady Mordy. And I loved Shady Mordy. I might get Shady War-y when it comes down to a more affordable price point (EB bargain bin/PC digi-dis). I live in Australia, and the Australian tax is only going to get more oppressive sooner or later.

By the sounds of it you're telling me it's not as good, I'll beless frustrated if I boot up the original, and I'll spend less time reliving what I liked about the original faster.

I might get Shady War-y when it hits the $15AUD mark.

I refuse to buy new games now. I made an exception with Dark Souls III, and I was underwhelmed compared to the rest of the Soulsborne games that I picked up collectively with their additional content for the same amount. The only exception to this rule I might break onis the new MH game coming onto the Switch. As MH world left mefeeing a bit .... meh? I still love it, but it wasn't as good as previous entries.

Well, barring board games. I'll buy them brand new. But they don't really have the same degree of devaluation over time.

Nothing right now, but in a few days I'm giving Monster Hunter World a spin. It'll be my first go at a Monster Hunter game. Not sure what I'm in for, but I'll be playing with friends, so I won't be stumbling in the dark alone.

I've been playing Telltale's Batman: The Enemy Within, as I finished chapter 1 in February but wanted to let all the remaining chapters get released before continuing. I blitzed through chapters 2-4 and just have 5 remaining. I've really enjoyed the twist TT has put on DC's prize property, as the characters are all recognizable but twisted just enough from their comic counterparts to be new and different at the same time.

So I decided to buy Flashback for the Nintendo Switch, and it's pretty much as I remember (for better or for worse). By the way, it isn't the infamous remake; but a port of the original from 1992. They added optional visual and audio improvements that you can activate/deactivate, but gameplay-wise they added optional tutorials and an optional "Rewind" gimmick, just in case you don't want to loss all you progress from the last time you were in a save point because of a stupid death (and stupid deaths happen frequently in a first playthrough). I'm not using the Rewind, because I'm a masochist (playing in Easy mode, but that's still masochist).

After getting 100% in Alpheim (my least favorite realm due to it containing the most frustrating enemies and level design, while often having washed out looking visuals due to its overwhelming brightness), I decided to take a break from God of War to get back into MGSV, and also start Mafia 3.

With MGSV, I decided I'm going to be a side mission whore for a while, because that damn Traitor's Caravan mission is too much of a pain to S-rank otherwise. Really, I've heard it described as the worst mission in the series. I tried about two dozen times and finally after youtube realized stun decoys and/or sleep grenades are my best hope here. I don't need much more resource-wise to attain them, but might as well thoroughly abuse side mission points to level them up completely. I don't mind though, because they are generally much more manageable and organically implemented than in Ground Zeroes.

As for Mafia 3, I only got through the long prologue of sorts which opened up the actual game map, but so far I like the shooting, melee, driving, and story more than GTAV, so it's off to a good start. Definitely not as polished visually and the movement is kinda janky, but I'm getting used to it. What's relieving is the fact it's not a difficult game so far either, because it would add too much frustration given the somewhat quirky gameplay mechanics. My favorite thing to do in these games though is explore, so hopefully there's a decent flow to that aspect.

In between all that I'm also chipping away at DOOM 2016 on PC, which offers excellent contrast to the above. It's been a while since a game offered up such balls-to-the-wall gameplay, and some checkpoints feel like a godsend even on Ultra Violence. There is also a nice yin yang of chaos and respite found after each big shootout. It's been very engaging and immersive so far, and the exploration is fun. My only complaint would be having to retrace several hidden areas if you die before a checkpoint, but on the other hand it forces you to be more careful.

COMaestro:
I've been playing Telltale's Batman: The Enemy Within, as I finished chapter 1 in February but wanted to let all the remaining chapters get released before continuing. I blitzed through chapters 2-4 and just have 5 remaining. I've really enjoyed the twist TT has put on DC's prize property, as the characters are all recognizable but twisted just enough from their comic counterparts to be new and different at the same time.

I was playing through season one Batman myself and enjoying it quite a bit until it my save file got corrupted, wiping away all my progress. Not that it was much (I'd just finished Episode 1). Apparently the problem is common to plenty other Telltale games but it pisses me off that not I have no insurance against losing my progress every time I boot up my console. I don't feel like replaying Episode 1 all over again but I also don't feel like "skipping" over to Episode 2 because that randomizes your past choices and kinda defeats the purpose of the damn thing. Telltale support isn't even bothering with a reply. I feel cheated.

Jeez! I had forgotten how annoying the Morphs are in Flashback. It brings me back memories (suppressed ones, but still memories).

I've been playing Enter the Gungeon and I just completed my best run yet. After killing the main four characters' pasts, I was able to unlock the last level, Bullet Hell. I was only aiming to get to Bullet Hell so the way to it stays open, I didn't care about beating it just yet as I still had to beat the two secret characters' past. However, by the time I got to the forth chamber, I got some pretty good guns, a good amount of keys and three of the five Master Rounds you get if you defeat the boss of the floor without taking damage. Since the game was being very generous for once, I decided it would be my best opportunity to go for the Lead God trophy were you need to get all five Master Rounds in one run, it's easily one of the hardest trophies in the game to get. I managed to beat the forth chamber boss without taking damage and got the fourth Master Round, but just when I went to the next chamber, the game crashed. Luckily it saved my progress, because I was very close to throwing my controller against the TV out of pure frustration since I would never get that lucky again. So I made my way through the fifth Chamber and got to the High Dragun and managed to beat him without taking damaging and I managed to get the Lead God trophy. Satisfied did not even begin to describe how I felt in that moment. After that I went to Bullet Hell and fought the game's true final boss, the Lich and took him down quickly with my strongest weapons that I was saving just for him.

It's been a long time since I've been this satisfied getting through a tough part of a game, but there's still plenty left to do as I think I'm going to go for the Platinum trophy.

Battle for Azeroth just came out, so that has my attention. It seems like a lot of fun. The questing is nice, the zones are beautiful, and there seems like a lot of content to do, so far. Lots to chase. Overall, im super happy with it. Not to mention that the lack of green lava and demons is refreshing.

I also just got Monster Hunter World for the PC. It seems interesting. I feel like im going to have the same issue as I have with Overwatch, where the game is really well made, and the core gameplay is a lot of fun, but I cant see myself settling on a weapon that I really enjoy. I seem to have stuck to the Gunlance for the moment, but we'll see if I stick to it long term.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here