What games are you playing?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Arnoxthe1:

Saelune:
I also am hopeful that Neverwinter Nights will get an enhanced version since they already went through the BG series, IWD series, AND Planescape Torment.

As for Divinity, I am waiting for the first to go on sale on steam. I played it on Xbox One, but I did not really enjoy it. Not gonna buy 2 until I know I like 1, and plus I dont buy games on PC that arent on sale.

I highly doubt it. NWN is a very complex incredibly featured game. To remaster it would require... A lot. Like, Divinity: Original Sin 2 already had an engine base and assets to work off of and that still took no less than $2,000,000 just to get it as close to NWN's content and feature set as it is now.

As to the first D:OS, I wouldn't, honestly. The story is really lackluster compared to the second and the game mechanics are... They're good but D:OS2 is, again, superior in this area in pretty much every way. The story of the second one has no connection to the first on top of that.

Not really. Upgrade the graphics, fix some long standing bugs, update it for modern computers...and give players a way to play together without needing crazy 3rd party methods.

2 is a sequel. Sequels should be better. But its a sequel, so I, by personal honor, need to play 1 first.

I just finished a continuous playthrough of the original Mass Effect trilogy - Fem!Shep, Liara LI, Vanguard, Paragon (with some Renegade for spice), All the DLC and the ME3Happy Ending Mod.

I'm not gonna lie, ME1 is the hardest to play because honestly the combat system is shite - begone RPG purists, the character has a gun and the combat is not turn based, ergo this is a shooter and the shooting is shit. But dial the difficulty down to kindergarten level and you find yourself in a rich, enjoyable universe with great characters.

ME2 made the combat good (i.e. it worked) but took away too much other stuff that already did work such as weapon mods and more than 4 skills each and artificially restricts you on weapons until about halfway through - and even then the gun choice is pretty slim. Had arguably the most fun crew though and the final level is awesome as shit.

ME3, ah 2013's favourite whipping boy - and I whipped it a few times myself - is still the best of the bunch with enough powers for each character, even smoother combat, some great DLC, awesome set pieces that wrap up two of the series biggest plot arcs (one way or another) and once you install the ME3Happy Ending Mod, an ending that doesn't suck.

All in all the weaknesses are well overshadowed by the game's strengths. Recommended for all players, but as PC is the only platform with mods, it will offer the best experience.

Arnoxthe1:

DeliveryGodNoah:
Far Cry 2. I decided to replay Far Cry 2 again.

If you're too good though, I'd highly recommend turning up the difficulty to Hardcore. Infamous is a bit too realistic for me.

I wouldn't have bothered if I played it on anything lower. Honestly, with a sniper rifle the game is a cakewalk on any difficulty. But I won't go the coward route and instead for the meathead Rambo route and just rush into enemy checkpoints with an LMG and that explosive crossbow. Maybe a little sniping against the enemy snipers.

I can't get over how well this game still looks though. Some might find the African Jungle/Desert setting lacking, but it's downright still gorgeous in the right lighting.

Saelune:
Not really. Upgrade the graphics, fix some long standing bugs, update it for modern computers...and give players a way to play together without needing crazy 3rd party methods.

For starters, the entire engine will probably have to be rewritten. To just add more visuals on top of the existing engine is just asking for trouble and it will continue to be in danger of being so old as to be broken and/or obsolete. There's already a ton of glitches in the main game on modern computers now but blessedly, all of them minor for now. Secondly, almost all the assets will have to be recreated from scratch. Which includes ALL the expansion packs as well as the main game. It could also include the Bioware premium modules if they're feeling extra generous, but for now, let's just say it'll just be the base game and the expacks that'll get the do-over.

That is a lot... Of freaking... Assets.

OK so now we have an entirely new engine, modern visuals, bug fixing, and totally remade game assets on our to-do list, we'll also have to make the game entirely moddable inside and out, just as the original was. So not only do we need to write a new engine, make it have modern visuals, fix the base game bugs, and totally remake the game assets, we have to make ALL of that totally modifiable.

And last but not least, the entire netcode will probably also have to be rewritten and will have to be very light on performance costs, incredibly scalable supporting up to 64 players as per the original, will have to support a powerful drop-in-drop-out Dungeon Master mode, will have to have the ability to "portal" to different servers, will have to be persistent, will have to have PvP options for the host, must have the ability for players to go into different areas individually, and must have a robust chat system.

Do you see now?

DeliveryGodNoah:
I wouldn't have bothered if I played it on anything lower. Honestly, with a sniper rifle the game is a cakewalk on any difficulty. But I won't go the coward route and instead for the meathead Rambo route and just rush into enemy checkpoints with an LMG and that explosive crossbow. Maybe a little sniping against the enemy snipers.

I can't get over how well this game still looks though. Some might find the African Jungle/Desert setting lacking, but it's downright still gorgeous in the right lighting.

Even if I go full meathead Rambo on Normal, it's still kinda easy for me now because I'm so damn good at positioning.

And yeah, the engine's pretty good actually. You should try one mod where they take out the unnecessary dirt filter as well. Really makes the game pop.

Installed League of Children once again. I just wanna get out of Silver I. Pls. Make it happen.

I have this sort of mental block in me that makes me play worse and worse the closer I am to Gold V. I just stop doing all the smart things that I automatically did a division or two ago. Like watching the minimap or using summoner spells tactically.

I'm currently playing Shadowrun: Hong Kong! (just finished it actually)

I like most of it a great deal, and I think the wordbuilding and atmosphere were especially good. The parts in the matrix were exceedingly painful compared to the previous game though - but that might just be me. I was so impatient with the forced stealth-type parts that I found it more fun to trip the security response and just murder all the Black IC responders instead.

Another thing I found fairly odd was that the writers seemed to expect players to be put off by one character who had a lot of cybernetic implants. Having some degree of mechanical augmentation myself it was amusing to have to hunt down the one option in each conversation that wasn't "AHHHHH YOU MONSTER"

Replaying the Witcher 3 and playing Stellaris and Minecraft on and off.

Stellaris is fun but it's one of those weird games where I don't want to play it because I know if I start a long game now I won't have access tot he weird and wonderful stuff they release further down the road, I'm kind of stuck in this constant wait for the new version; like someone who wants to buy a new phone but knows the newest one is always out in just a few months.

The Witcher 3 is just one of my favourite games so it's no surprise I'm replaying it, currently I'm trying to break the level 25 hump so I can get into the Hearts of Stone content without being slaughtered but I've run out of level 28-30 quests. Good game and I even found a few new quests this time round so once again I'm blown away at how big this game is.

Minecraft is just something I piss around in, my current project is joining my various castles and points of interest together with a minecart transit system, sending some through the Nether and some overground, it's a nice way to occupy myself while I'm listening to Red Letter Media or Jim Sterling.

Path of Exile just came out on Xbox so I've pretty much sunk into that nice and comfortably. It's a breath of fresh air after years of Diablo III. I've gotten to the point in Diablo III where I can hit level 70 in a half hour and be on Torment 13 in less than a week. Path of Exile is quite different.

Other than that, my son and I are couch co-oping Cuphead when we're home at the same time. That game has some teeth. I think I'm getting too old for that kind of white knuckle gameplay. I can only handle a couple hours and my thumb starts to hurt. Regardless, it's a really good game and we're having a great time with it.

Always League but other than that been dabbling in Age of Wonders III as well as Darkest Dungeon and Mordheim

Just finished Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire the other day (main story, at least); now need to finish FFXII: Zodiac Age. I'm pretty close to the end, I think, but I want to pick up at least most of the optional Espers before I finish.

After that, I need something new, which is probably going to be Metroid: Samus Returns.

Arnoxthe1:

hanselthecaretaker:
I've revisited Far Cry 2 recently to further explore a game I wasn't fully invested in for my original play through at launch.

Required reading: http://majorslack.com/games-tips-tricks/having-fun-playing-far-cry-2/

Thanks for the link. Yeah I've learned that the game is 10x as fun when played as he recommended. It really is a slow-but-rewarding-burn type of game. I love playing cat and mouse with the enemies and still having some ordinance handy for those "oh shit" moments when things don't go as planned. Right now I'm doing like he said observing a convoy route. I only have a sniper rifle and rocket launcher now, but also thought of seeing what happens if I throw some Molotov's on the grass in their path then lob some grenades from cover haha.

Decisions, decisions.

Arnoxthe1:

Kerg3927:
I decided to give Guild Wars 2 a try. I just started leveling a character, and I'll see if the game grabs me. If it does, I'll probably min/max my character at endgame and try to get into a raiding guild and get back into raiding.

You should watch this:

Also, did you get Heart of Thorns, Path of Fire, or both?

I went ahead and bought them both.

Interesting video. After spending 2 nights fiddling around with the character creator to get my dude just right and setting up keybinds, reading about the basics of the game, etc., I finally got into playing it for a few hours last night. It was a little awkward at first, but so far I like it.

The questing system is kinda cool, and addicting. It doesn't feel like grinding really. In WoW, you went to the next hub, gathered all the quests, and then were constantly fumbling through the quest log trying to figure out what to do next and where to go, as you worked your way down the checklist of quests before heading to the next hub. GW2 turns that system on its head. You literally just wander around and shit happens and you jump in and participate. It was weird at first, but last night I had a hard time going to bed... just wanted to go see what was in the next area... it's fun and a refreshing change to the typical level grind.

I also like the combat so far. I'm playing a huge beefy Charr Warrior wielding a big ass Greatsword. The weapon skills feel really powerful and awesome. I think I'm going to like the combat better than WoW's.

Kerg3927:

Interesting video. After spending 2 nights fiddling around with the character creator to get my dude just right and setting up keybinds, reading about the basics of the game, etc., I finally got into playing it for a few hours last night. It was a little awkward at first, but so far I like it.

The questing system is kinda cool, and addicting. It doesn't feel like grinding really. In WoW, you went to the next hub, gathered all the quests, and then were constantly fumbling through the quest log trying to figure out what to do next and where to go, as you worked your way down the checklist of quests before heading to the next hub. GW2 turns that system on its head. You literally just wander around and shit happens and you jump in and participate. It was weird at first, but last night I had a hard time going to bed... just wanted to go see what was in the next area... it's fun and a refreshing change to the typical level grind.

I also like the combat so far. I'm playing a huge beefy Charr Warrior wielding a big ass Greatsword. The weapon skills feel really powerful and awesome. I think I'm going to like the combat better than WoW's.

The biggest problem by far I'm seeing with Guild Wars 2 is that their PvP has sat for two years without any really meaningful updates. It really sucks too because the PvP for this game could be incredibly great if they'd just put some damn effort into it.

It's been a good year. Deus Ex: HR, then some DE: MD (stopped playing for some reason; then Arkham Knight again, with all its DLC. The Season of Infamy improves the base game tremendously, adding in super villains, and diluting the tedious car-combat. That was about six weeks of play. Then a month of Horizon Zero Dawn, then a month of Bloodborne, then two and a half months of Nioh. The base game alone really gives you your money's worth. Then, I planned a replay of Shadow of Mordor, which was a blast until my PE4 edition of Dragon's Dogma arrived.

'I'll just check out the graphics,' I thought to myself. Then, 'well, I'll just play through the prologue,' then, 'well, just the starting area.' Needless to say, I'm now level 15 in the main city and I just can't stop! As many times as I've played this game, it's still not enough.

Been playing Mary Skelter: Nighmares. Very quirky first person Drpg with some twisted themes. The basic premise is that the protagonists are inspired by classical fairytales but have become twisted by some kind of lovecraftian horror that everyone is living inside and you have to satisfy that horror's desires to find a way of escaping. It has a thing for blood too, with battles counting how much blood you spill as a metric for success as well as using the player character's magic blood as a way of keeping the evil blood of the enemies from corrupting your heroines to the point of them going berserk and becoming a threat. They also do the classical fairytale character thing smartly. For example, Cinderella seems to be suffering from an impulsive need to become beautiful whereas Red Riding Hood is fixated on always wearing something over her head. Jack (from Jack and the beanstalk) has an urge to climb things and so on. I'm about 40something hours in so far and I just got all of the party members so I'm not quite done yet but the game's very fresh and fun. Oh and the music is great too. It has a Baroque element to it.

Warframe and Medieval TW 2. Because new things are bad and you should feel bad for liking them.

Also Kamidori Alchemy Meister but don't tell anyone

I've begun a long-haul playthrough of the entire Rollercoaster Tycoon franchise (except World, which is awful).

Best $8 I've ever spent.

Finally got my gaming room back in order, so put in some time with Horizon: ZD. I'm really feeling its flow now so it'll probably be my main again, and I've already gotten pretty far anyways which helps. I know I criticized the collecting and inventory in another thread, but the game plays so damn well that it's more forgivable. However, I do wish there was more nuance to some of the weapons though, especially the bow. It's a bit too arcadey to me and feels like a missed opportunity for deeper tactics.

For example, I would make accuracy and velocity more dependent on how long you hold your draw. Same goes for the other slings and trip-lines. The melee weapon feels pretty good, but I was also thinking how cool it would be if you could target the critical strikes for more specific types of component damage. Also if there was a pulse/emp bonus damage of some kind based on either timing or reacting to rumble, that would be tight.

I also haven't tried or even thought of it yet, but can sprint be reassigned off the L3 button? I have it set to Toggle but just like MGSV I'm not a fan of using those stick buttons for major functions. I suppose as long as the controllers are durable enough it's not a big deal, and it makes logical sense to have sprint on the same button as movement, but since there really is no "hold" function for Circle it could also be used there pretty well I think.

Although, this reminds me of some precision trick jumps in Dark Souls 2 which could only be done if Jump was mapped to L3, because apparently the delay in using Circle to sprint, then releasing, then pressing again to jump is too significant. I have always used Circle to sprint in Souls games, but had to remap it just for those one or two occasions, both occurring in Forest of Fallen Giants. Horizon's combat can get pretty frenetic, so perhaps the controls are already most optimal.

Tried getting back into M.U.S.H.A. and Gley Lancer. I used to be able to get to the final stage of the former and level 8 of the latter. Playing them now, I die in the early levels.

Full walkthroughs, for anyone who doesn't know these games:

UPDATE

So I've been playing a lot of Shadow of War over the past few days, and I have to say... Im kinda disappointed.

The game just feels like more of the same. Open world. Nemesis system. Sidequest fest. Shadow of Mordor 1.5

The Sieges are cool, but in reality, they just boil down to super Warchiefs, and the game never really does anything to make me go "Wow!".

Frankly, im just trying to finish it as soon as possible, because if not, it will just get added to my constantly growing list of games that I need to finish, and I cannot add another to that list.

There are much better games to be playing, but if you are on the fence about SoW - Here is my advice:

Get The Witcher 3

Already played TW3?

Play it again

Currently, I'm playing Mount and Blade: Warband. I've been addicted to it since I bought it. Outside of that, Bordermemes 2.

I picked up some 1990's stuff from GoG and recently played through Strahd's Possession, I find it still has great atmosphere.

I have a plan to get into some older games, but I have to stop working overtime to get the free hours to play.

hanselthecaretaker:
Finally got my gaming room back in order, so put in some time with Horizon: ZD... I also haven't tried or even thought of it yet, but can sprint be reassigned off the L3 button?

You can completely remap the controls of any PS4 game via accessibility options. I don't use L3 for sprint in any game.

Phoenixmgs:

hanselthecaretaker:
Finally got my gaming room back in order, so put in some time with Horizon: ZD... I also haven't tried or even thought of it yet, but can sprint be reassigned off the L3 button?

You can completely remap the controls of any PS4 game via accessibility options. I don't use L3 for sprint in any game.

Awesome, thanks. What do you use in Horizon?

Relevant -

Thanks to the recent Humble Bundle, I'm finally playing Rise of the Tomb Raider and really enjoying it.

Or, at least, I was until my hdd dock decided to eat my game and storage drives last night.

Hoping recovery works...downloading another 1.5 TB would be...unfortunate.

Gotta finish Nier too.

Raiden V - It's great to see the franchise still going. A personal favorite of mine in the SHMUP arcade genre

Evil Within 2 - I got it early, but I will play this tomorrow.

Asura's Wrath - I have already beaten the game a long time ago, I just wanted to play it again for fun.

Wolverine: Uncaged Edition - Early in the game, yet it is good. There will be more time for it on the weekend.

Right now, Smite, Paladins and Divinity Original Sin 2. I have a number of games on my list, but I don't want to start anything else till I beat Divinity since I have a feeling I won't come back to it if I stop playing it.

Tried out Double Action: Boogaloo, a wacky Max Payne ripoff. Free to play, multiplayer. I placed second in only my second match, out of thirteen players. Might play it again. I don't know. It's flimsy, and the matches are too long.

TMNT: MiM - Great game, with the expected quality that a Platinum game delivers.

C&C2: Yuri's Revenge - I think the series never got better than this or Tiberium Sun.

Metriod: Samus Returns - Yes, it's good.

Kerg3927:

Arnoxthe1:

Kerg3927:
I decided to give Guild Wars 2 a try. I just started leveling a character, and I'll see if the game grabs me. If it does, I'll probably min/max my character at endgame and try to get into a raiding guild and get back into raiding.

You should watch this:

Also, did you get Heart of Thorns, Path of Fire, or both?

I really liked Guild Wars 2. I mean I have a max level geared character of each class. Really the only reason I didn't get the new expansion is I just got tired of the inventory management and I didn't want to sell all my collected mats.

hanselthecaretaker:

Phoenixmgs:

hanselthecaretaker:

I always use L1+R1 for shooting so that's switched for me. I put sprinting on R2 then (R1 for you probably if you like the triggers for shooting). I moved Interact to L3 and had triangle be the light spear attack.

Phoenixmgs:

hanselthecaretaker:

Phoenixmgs:

I always use L1+R1 for shooting so that's switched for me. I put sprinting on R2 then (R1 for you probably if you like the triggers for shooting). I moved Interact to L3 and had triangle be the light spear attack.

Interact on L3...I'm trying to think of what I'd put on L3 that I don't use almost constantly. I'm always using Triangle so that's out. I really think if something has to use it it might as well be sprint, but toggled.

Aaaaaand uninstalled LoL after five matches. I go on full rage mode as soon as I feed and I feed every game. Unfun times.

hanselthecaretaker:

Interact on L3...I'm trying to think of what I'd put on L3 that I don't use almost constantly. I'm always using Triangle so that's out. I really think if something has to use it it might as well be sprint, but toggled.

From last-gen with every shooter having L3 for sprint, I'm sorta convinced pressing up and then in on the left stick messes up the left stick. From my experiences, I had at least 2 controllers end up where my character slightly moves forward while not touching anything on the controller. I played Horizon where I was constantly sprinting and sliding (dat slide!!!) and at least with interact on L3, you can just press L3 without the stick in the forward position. I wouldn't mind putting interact on the touchpad but I don't think that is remap-able.

I'm playing Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition. I like it, but the game crashes every time I try to read a multiple page book.

I'm also playing the first Borderlands with my fam. It's pretty fun so far.

Phoenixmgs:

hanselthecaretaker:

From last-gen with every shooter having L3 for sprint, I'm sorta convinced pressing up and then in on the left stick messes up the left stick. From my experiences, I had at least 2 controllers end up where my character slightly moves forward while not touching anything on the controller. I played Horizon where I was constantly sprinting and sliding (dat slide!!!) and at least with interact on L3, you can just press L3 without the stick in the forward position. I wouldn't mind putting interact on the touchpad but I don't think that is remap-able.

I'm not crazy about the feel of an angled L3 click either, but to me a quick click is much easier to digest than a grungy feeling hold. I think GG did the best default they could given the circumstances, but the questionable analog "button" durability lends credence to a design flaw that needs addressing.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here