What games are you playing?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

So, finally finished Link's Awakening and...yeah. Not a bad game, but without a doubt it's easily my least favorite Legend of Zelda game for the reasons I described earlier in this thread.

Gonna be awhile before I start up anything massive again.

Recently replayed Saints Row 3 and 4 for the umpteenth time. Sure, it's a junk food game but so enjoyable regardless. A good way to kill 10 or so hours each.

Now playing Metal Gear Solid 2 for the first time. It's....interesting. At very least, it's much more playable then MGS1 was and the characters no longer look like creepy faceless people, but I swear I can't go more then 10 minutes at times without triggering a 5 min cutscenes or codec conversation.

And seriously, Rosemary, what's so hard about KEEPING YOUR FOCUS ON THE MISSION AT HAND and NOT BRINGING UP YOUR RELATIONSHIP EVERY TIME I WANT TO SAVE? It makes me feel bad for Raidan, knowing this is what he has to put up with all the time.

At least the story is interesting.

Dalisclock:
Recently replayed Saints Row 3 and 4 for the umpteenth time. Sure, it's a junk food game but so enjoyable regardless. A good way to kill 10 or so hours each.

Now playing Metal Gear Solid 2 for the first time. It's....interesting. At very least, it's much more playable then MGS1 was and the characters no longer look like creepy faceless people, but I swear I can't go more then 10 minutes at times without triggering a 5 min cutscenes or codec conversation.

And seriously, Rosemary, what's so hard about KEEPING YOUR FOCUS ON THE MISSION AT HAND and NOT BRINGING UP YOUR RELATIONSHIP EVERY TIME I WANT TO SAVE? It makes me feel bad for Raidan, knowing this is what he has to put up with all the time.

At least the story is interesting.

Seriously? You played Saints Row before moving onto MGS2?

Bad Dais, bad! You're meant to be doing your MGS review series! My enjoyment in reading it is more important than your own, so get cracking!

But on a slightly less comical note, good luck with MGS2. It's an...interesting, game. I'll put it that way.

I've randomly decided that now is the perfect time to indulge my fanboyism by replaying the Assassin's Creed series in its entirety from start to finish. Which includes all DLC and the Chronicles games.

So I'm currently playing the original Assassin's Creed, pissing about hunting down flags in the Kingdom because I need to 100% this thing even if there's no trophies for it.

Hawki:

Seriously? You played Saints Row before moving onto MGS2?

Bad Dais, bad! You're meant to be doing your MGS review series! My enjoyment in reading it is more important than your own, so get cracking!

But on a slightly less comical note, good luck with MGS2. It's an...interesting, game. I'll put it that way.

I know. I'm a terrible person.

My write up is going to be interesting, to say the least. I'm quite curious to see the infamous final act that this game is so well known for. All I know is that it's something to do with VR, Patriots and Memes.

Though I suspect I already know one of the "twists".

Mafia 3. It's pretty good. Weighty gunplay, interesting world, weighty car handling, the story around a lot of flawed people in a very flawed world. I recommend not going for complete stealth though, the scrappy, grounded gun fights feel intense while you can still faff around unseen if needed.
Have had the odd enemy attempt to throw a Molotov in my direction, but as he threw, I shot him in the shoulder and he threw it straight up in the air instead, gravity doing the rest brought it back down on him in glorious poetic justice.

Graphics aren't in competition with GTAV's world though, but the world, art style, character, grounded handling of vehicles and weapons do quite a good job of compensating there.
One thing that really needs adding is the ability to communicate with panicking NPCs that incessantly repeat their panicked dialogue just cos I shot some fucker from their balcony with a sniper rifle, to please please be quiet. I get it...you're startled, but can I somehow please tell you to shut the fuck up whilst I scout the rest of the racist assholes here? I'm removing the assholes for you...see? I'm no threat to you at all. Stop shouting the sa...stop it. stop!! Why can't I communicate?? I'll even accept sleeping gas or a MGS comicbook distraction or whatever shuts them up that isn't cold-blooded murder.
Soundtrack obviously good.

I'm playing Might and Magic Heroes VII and Anno 2070 and I love them both :)

I try to finish Dying Lights=)) and I adore Smite...play it every day=)

Finished replaying Uncharted 2 on Crushing (Platinum, yay) and The Evil Within on NG+. Feels like I've mostly just replayed old stuff this year - Max Payne 3, Vanquish, Spec Ops, Dragon's Crown, Mirror's Edge...

All the industry stink about Battlefront 2 flying around, I decided to pick up a copy of the PS2 Battlefront games and try them. Not half bad, if really slippery feeling.

Well, I got the MMO itch, tried GW2 and then returned to WoW for a few weeks, and I'm done. Both MMO's have really cheesy storylines, but that's to be expected in an MMO. And the mind-numbingly easy leveling just gets so tediously boring. I know if I would have stuck with it through to endgame I could have found more challenging content, but ultimately, I just didn't like the melee combat in GW2 or WoW. The melee combat in WoW, which I used like, suddenly feels really archaic after playing the Souls series.

Just staring at a bunch of cooldowns and cycling through them, no impact of your hits on the mob, no watching for the mob's attacks and timing your blocks, no dodging at all. It's just outdated mechanics, IMO.

So back to Dark Souls 3 for a bit. I'm going to finish up this NG++ playthrough, and then I think I'm going to try Lords of the Fallen. I know that, as a game that unabashedly attempted to adopt the Souls formula, it was criticized for being significantly easier than the Souls games. But I figure even something a step or two down in difficulty from Souls is probably more challenging than most action RPG's out there. Hopefully I will at least like the feel of the combat.

I plan on playing Nioh soon, too, but as it just came out on PC, I want to give it another couple of months for the bugs to be fixed and for the mod community to fix some of the issues. I read that it's kinda rough right now.

I started playing Skyrim on my PC again. I saw all that fun footage for the Switch version that recently came out and couldn't help myself.

With so many games I already own and have not finished, I'm playing this 2011 game again.

I'm so ashamed.

I tried Nier: Automata. It's kind of my last big game from this year apart from Breath of the Wild, which doesn't interest me. Gave up after dying to the first boss and getting kicked back to the start. Piss off, Nier.

I feel like playing Horizon: Zero Dawn means I don't have to give a shit about Nier or Breath of the Wild since it's basically what you'd get if Nier and BotW did the fusion dance.

Well here I am 4 years later picking up an old save and finishing Demon's Souls.

Was playing Danganronpa Trigger Happy Havoc
Ended up completing it today
Didn't enjoy it much honestly

I've also been playing Neofeud
A point and click adventure released earlier this year. Decided to pick it up because the art looked neat. The voice acting/dialogue has been an absolute treat. Has gotten a few laughs from me already
Looking forward to playing it some more

Hi everyone , not long ago I found this puzzle game Doggy Bubble Shooter - Rescue,
before we played and Bubble Shooter Blastmania , but Doggy Bubble Shooter
it is very interesting and very simple to play, it keeps me very busy and it's very cool when I have to save puppies,
what do you think of them? !

I like it, I recommend it;)

Im playing some Heroes of the Storm on-and-off

I just started this new game called Battlerite, which is sort of like a MOBA, but you control your character with the WASD keys, and you only have 1 life per round. Games are 2v2, or 3v3, and are a best of 5. The games are also super tense. Its also free - which is great!

And finally, im trying my hardest to get back into singleplayer games. Right now, I am hammering my way through Rise of the Tomb Raider, which I never finished. Going pretty well.

Yakuza Zero - I think I'm somewhere in the middle,for some reason I'm not enjoying it as much as Y3 or Y5. The only appealing feature is the combat and Everybody's Golf ,which is both frustrating and fun to play. I have alot games that I haven't been able to finish because I have been busy with work and life in general.

Multiplayer games aside, playing Sonic Colours.

I'm...mixed. Extremely mixed. Gonna wait till I finish the game to give any kind of in-depth thought.

Hawki:

I'm...mixed. Extremely mixed. Gonna wait till I finish the game to give any kind of in-depth thought.

It's not as good as Generations but it's decent. If you are 'mixed' on Colours DEFINITELY don't bother getting Forces.

dscross:

Hawki:

It's not as good as Generations but it's decent. If you are 'mixed' on Colours DEFINITELY don't bother getting Forces.

Well, I can't help but wonder if Sonic Forces could alleviate the plot side of things, but anyway, I'm up to Planet Wisp, so I will give some thoughts:

-I will say that Sonic Colors is easily the best 3D Sonic game since Heroes. It probably is better than Heroes all things considered. Course, it seems more accurate to call it a 2.5D game given how often it goes into 2D sections.

-That said, I'm kind of onboard with this. I don't hold to the idea that Sonic is inherently bad in 3D (SA1/2/Heroes (mostly), but I like the mix of the two. It does have some nostalgia for me. That said, the 2D sections feel a bit off. Sonic's a bit too floaty (maybe because he's in a low gravity theme park? Eh, probably not), and the jump mechanics are weird at times. Sometimes it seems I can bounce on enemies without using the homing attack, other times it seems I can't. I don't mind the homing attack in 2D (least not here), but I don't like how it feels compulsory a lot of the time.

-The boost formula. I've expressed distate on the 3D boost formula in Unleashed, but expressed that I liked it in the Rush games. Here, I think it's implemented well. I can't recall Unleashed too much, but I think it works, if only because you definately can't "boost to win," given the level design (which is quite good, what with alternate paths) and that it's a limited resource. This is one thing that's given me cause of raise an eyebrow in Forces, given how the boost recharges just by taking out enemies. However, it feels a bit off in 2D, and I'm left wondering where my spin-dash is. The slide has its rare uses, but it feels like you're replacing one method of getting quick momentum with another. Honestly, I think you could have both in the game, at least in 2D, since even without the boost gauge, the dash can give you a quick push forward (though that seems to be a replacement for the jump dash from SA1/2). It's some kind of weird mix of momentum that works, but doesn't have the simple elegance of past games.

-Environments so far are good. Not fond of Candy Mountain (it feels like something more fitting Mario than Sonic), but the others are good. And of course, the music is always good.

-Wisps are mixed, but I think they work. They're gimmicks, but they do bring something interesting to level design, at least in 2D.

-That leaves us the story, or rather, the storytelling, and that's the one area where I could see myself liking Forces more. Without a doubt, Colors skews young, and tries to go for a comedic tone. Which is fine, Sonic can work as a comedy (see the Sonic Boom cartoon), but I'd say Colors is funny 50% of the time at best. Half of the time we get moments like:

-Eggman: "Nothing will stop me!"

-Sonic: "Who ya calling nothing?"

Which is good, even if Orbot has to explain the joke because the writers think I'm either a kid or an idiot, but then we get the Baldy McNosehair 'joke.' Which isn't funny. At all. And if anything distracts from the more subtle joke in the same cutscene of Sonic wondering if he has body odour, and if the wisps he's been using have been complaining about it. Looking at Forces, it does come closer to the tone I usually prefer in Sonic games - serious, but not overly serious ala Shadow the Hedgehog.

So, yeah. Colors is a mixed bag. Net positive, and it's got a charm to it, but it doesn't reach the heights of its predecessors, either 2D or 3D.

...and now the disc's stopped working. Glitched out at a certain point, tried cleaning it, now I appear to have buggered it up.

Guess that's another $15 down the drain. Can only hope I can get a replacement from EB. :(

Hawki:
Well, I can't help but wonder if Sonic Forces could alleviate the plot side of things.

Honestly though, I was bored with Forces. You are on autopilot most of the time. I have no desire to replay it. I didn't even say that about 06 (I don't mind replaying the Sonic Levels and at least it had some challenge). I enjoyed Lost World much more. Forces just happened and everyone will forget it. It's so mediocre it may as well not exist.

Colours is a far better game than Forces. FAR better. You know how short the levels are in Colours? It's like that in Forces, except they feel like end before anything really happens in them (Colours is much more challenging, even though it's an easy game).

But you are right that Colours is not as good as most of the content produced prior to heroes.

Got Grim Dawn for like seven dollars on GOG yesterday. Playing it now. I haven't played one of these games since Diablo II about a decade ago. Actually, that was the only game like this I've played. (Well, except for that popular free to play game on Steam, which I didn't get far into.) I thought it was okay. I might have made a mistake selecting Normal difficulty. I can't go back now. This is one of the reasons I just don't like difficulty levels in general. it's guesswork.

Ezekiel:
Got Grim Dawn for like seven dollars on GOG yesterday. Playing it now. I haven't played one of these games since Diablo II about a decade ago. Actually, that was the only game like this I've played. I thought it was okay. I might have made a mistake selecting Normal difficulty. I can't go back now. This is one of the reasons I just don't like difficulty levels in general. it's guesswork.

7 dollars is a good price for it. That it's GOG only makes it that much better. ,)

Diablo II -- A decade? Don't you mean TWO decades? ^^

I love these types of games and have played almost all of them that I could find. From there, I can tell you that I gave up on Grim Dawn. The story, graphics, GUI and overall mechanics were good. What made me quit was the needlessly complex star-sign perks and most of all, the huge sprawling maps..Maps without enough town portals..with constantly regenerating mobs. Kind of bland mobs too. Bosses were done right though. If they had only done away with the star-signs and added some more sectioned off areas and/or town portals, I would've rated it quite highly.

I hope you enjoy it, if you expected too do so.
If you just gave it shot anyway, I hope you will point out if you agree or disagree with my assessment.

dscross:

Colours is a far better game than Forces. FAR better. You know how short the levels are in Colours? It's like that in Forces, except they feel like end before anything really happens in them (Colours is much more challenging, even though it's an easy game).

Well, I finished Colours. On the points you raise, some of the levels are short, and I think towards the end they were running out of time (the final level just kinda cuts out). Still, it doesn't bother me too much, as they're well constructed enough, but I feel they start to lose steam at around Asteroid Coaster. Also, I died an embarassing amount of times in my playthrough, so either the game is harder than you give it credit for, or I'm really out of practice with Sonic games (likely the latter).

dscross:

But you are right that Colours is not as good as most of the content produced prior to heroes.

Well, per my rankings of Sonic games, Colours comes in at #9 of a list of 34 (note that that's likely to change over time). I think it's "decent" rather than "good," but it's the best decent game of the bunch, so to speak. Come #8, for me, that's when we get Sonic games that are bona fide "good." I do think it's better than Heroes, but I still prefer Adventure 1/2 over it, not to mention the original 16 bit games.

Thing is, Colours is reasonably solid, but I will say that this is very much a 2.5D rather than 3D or 2D game, and in both sections, Sonic doesn't control as well as he did in games that committed to one of these two styles. But at the least, it sold me on the concept of the boost formula, so there is that.

Ezekiel:
(Well, except for that popular free to play game on Steam, which I didn't get far into.)

Path of Exile?

Can't say it's my thing either.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook