What games are you playing?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 19 NEXT

Am doing the Prey game. Why were so many determined on hating this way before and during release? It's quite alright and perhaps even slightly seductive in its' unique gameplay format. Numerous people online seem addicted to bitter dismissal these days, unable or unwilling to extract joy from this fading blip of conscious existence.

Xsjadoblayde:
Am doing the Prey game. Why were so many determined on hating this way before and during release? It's quite alright and perhaps even slightly seductive in its' unique gameplay format. Numerous people online seem addicted to bitter dismissal these days, unable or unwilling to extract joy from this fading blip of conscious existence.

People seem to think being extremely pessimistic is connected to intelligence.

OT: I've been playing a lot of Fortnite lately, both Battle Royale and Save the world. I bought the 149 euro package before launch but never got into the game until now for some reason, I was even looking forward to it when they announced it back in 2012.

Double post for some reason.

Just beat Amygdala in Bloodborne. It took a few tries to figure out a strategy and exploit the weak spot, but wasn't too bad after that. Love seeing huge chunks of life bar disappear after stunning viscerals. Now I'm debating if I want to head back to Cainhurst yet to take another crack at Martyr L. Perhaps yes.

Still playing Other M. Still hating the control scheme. :(

Xsjadoblayde:
Am doing the Prey game. Why were so many determined on hating this way before and during release?

They were? Don't recall seeing that.

Maybe because Prey 2 was cancelled and Bethesda was arguably 'hijacking' the IP, creating a game that had nothing to do with the original?

Maybe I am where I need to be in Grim Dawn, with the difficulty. Took out the warden, who was much deadlier and tougher than anyone before him. I have a feeling I wasn't supposed to get to him so early. I haven't done all the other quests yet, because I don't understand how you see the objective on the map or how you can double check what area you're supposed to be in for the quest.

Hawki:

Other M gets way more hate than it deserves. i had fun with it.

Other M isn't a bad game. it's just a shitty Metroid game.

Yoshi178:

Hawki:

Other M gets way more hate than it deserves. i had fun with it.

Other M isn't a bad game. it's just a shitty Metroid game.

So far, the distinction is academic. The control scheme would be as frustrating regardless of the IP.

As a Metroid game, so far, I don't think it's too bad. It's easily the most linear and story-focused Metroid game I've played, but as someone whose favorite Metroid game is Fusion (also more linear and story-focused than its counterparts), that isn't a bad thing. That said, Other M probably stands as my second least favorite Metroid game right now, beating only Hunters (bleh).

Just finished Legend of Zelda - Master Quest although annoyingly the game cut out halfway through the credits due to a disc reading error.

I still enjoyed the game but didn't really care for the dungeons. I didn't find them much harder and too many puzzles were based around the time blocks which are a pain to move.

Also, maybe it's just because the resolution is higher in this version but I never noticed how blocky the sky box is.

Made it to Mergo's Wet Nurse in Bloodborne. Got over half the life bar down first try, but underestimated the reach and timing of some of its attacks. The road to this boss (Nightmare of Mensis) might have been the toughest area in the game so far, although Micolash was more of an exercise in patience than literal challenge. It took a few tries to circumvent his nasty aoe attacks but on the final attempt was able to kill him before he locked himself behind the gate.

Just started playing Nioh after some recommendations from other players here...and it's just as tough as they said it was (which is great!). Died a million times already and still enjoying it :)

Xsjadoblayde:
Am doing the Prey game. Why were so many determined on hating this way before and during release?

I'm one of those supposed 'haters', although I'm really more disappointed with it, to a degree.

What we IMO got is more or less System Shock 2 with modern graphics and controls/UI. Which is fine, SS2 is a great game. Yet I expected, I don't know, something more. Arkane Studios also does Dishonored, which basically takes Thief as its template and IMO does just enough things differently (and does them well enough) that it becomes its own thing. I was hoping they'd do the same for Prey. I still enjoyed it (barring some annoying technical flaws), but couldn't escape the feeling that I was playing SS2 again, but with a paint coat (fyi, I feel similarly about BioShock).

TLDR: Liked it, but not as good as I wanted it to be.

Xsjadoblayde:

B-Cell liked it.

I just didn't enjoy Prey. The gameplay wasn't fun and I got sick of wondering where to go. Maybe there was a waypoint system or something, but I couldn't be bothered to look into all the options. I'm also not fond of silent protags anymore.

Right now I'm really into Prison Architect-ish games. Was never a big fan of sim / tycoon style games before, but I did a retro romp recently with the original Theme Park and got back into them. I'm too busy working these days, but Prison Architect is good for ten-minute bursts. Other than that, I just finished Evil Within 2 over the last month or so and was pleasantly surprised by it. Much better than the original.

Ezekiel:
I just didn't enjoy Prey. The gameplay wasn't fun and I got sick of wondering where to go. Maybe there was a waypoint system or something, but I couldn't be bothered to look into all the options. I'm also not fond of silent protags anymore.

It was on huge discount lately but I myself held back on buying it. Just didn't seem that appealing to me, despite the overall good reviews.

Wipeout Omega Collection - A great arcade racer that I have not played in a long time, since the PSP days. This arcade racer certainly better than the ones that try to screw you over with loot boxes or microtransactions.

Strider (2014) - One of the best metroidvanias I've ever played. Considering I'm really not a fan of the genre, that's a good thing. The only other metroidvania game I've had this much fun with was Shadow Complex. Right now I'm at the part where you just received the plasma explosion upgrade. I'm going to play more later today.

Splatter House (2010) - I did not like it sadly. While definitely a love letter to the franchise, there are so many problems with this game; that I had to quit and take it back to the game store within the same week. Load times are atrocious, and I really hate the platforming, because it is so glitchy at times and frustrating.

Started playing Counter-Strike 1.6 since I left it in 2004. Having a lot of fun.

Played a ton of Ultimate Chicken Horse during Christmas with family, hilarious shit.

Other than that:
- Return to Castle Wolfenstein (PC)
- The Thing (PS2).

Chimpzy:
I'm one of those supposed 'haters', although I'm really more disappointed with it, to a degree.

What we IMO got is more or less System Shock 2 with modern graphics and controls/UI. Which is fine, SS2 is a great game. Yet I expected, I don't know, something more. Arkane Studios also does Dishonored, which basically takes Thief as its template and IMO does just enough things differently (and does them well enough) that it becomes its own thing. I was hoping they'd do the same for Prey. I still enjoyed it (barring some annoying technical flaws), but couldn't escape the feeling that I was playing SS2 again, but with a paint coat (fyi, I feel similarly about BioShock).

TLDR: Liked it, but not as good as I wanted it to be.

Nah, you at least played the game and have formed a reasonable opinion, so you wouldn't fall into that category. I meant mainly the people who made a decision before ever getting as far as trying it out, either before release or after the review period. Perhaps it's a "Bethesda" thing, I should take more notice of their pre-release receptions from now on.

MrCalavera:

B-Cell liked it.

Ummm...I get the faint impression that was intended as some sort of insult, considering the way users view B-Cell on here, implying that perhaps I have also been insulting in my initial opinion to warrant such response in defense; which I am sorry if what I said came across that way, it's probably the strong language from living in terrible parts of the UK maybe, no offense intended. But I honestly don't share the intense distaste that others seem to have for him. He seems pretty harmless, just a little misguided and...young? Minded? He also mentions the Metro series regularly, which am sure is a series many appreciate here too.
For future reference, a David Cage angle would've had more chance at being effective. Or Adam Sandler.

Xsjadoblayde:

But I honestly don't share the intense distaste that others seem to have for him. He seems pretty harmless, just a little misguided and...young? Minded?

He mentioned he was getting married in a post, so probably not.

But on that note, B-Cell's kind of mellowed out recently, but B-Cell...let's say he has his preferences (off the top of my head, PC, FPS, Immersive Sim, id Software, Hitman, Metro) and his dislikes (pretty much anything else), and isn't afraid of showing that. Which isn't a problem in itself, but so often he would have arguments that "x is good/bad" and not elaborate. He was willing to give his likes and dislikes, but never give any proper reasoning for them, which made it frustrating to try and engage with him.

Also had a tendency to list games as GOTY long before they even release (System Shock 3 will apparently be GOTY of...whatever year it comes out in), which is kinda funny, at least when the predictions backfire (e.g. Quantum Break).

I've finally started playing a game again, and it's not the one I mentioned on the first page (on the 9th of October).
This is most likely my longest gaming slump ever..

The game I'm now playing is none other than Factorio.
Quite nice, but I don't think it will hold my attention all that long sadly.
I can only hope that I manage to stay with it at least halfway into January.

Hawki:

He mentioned he was getting married in a post, so probably not.

But on that note, B-Cell's kind of mellowed out recently, but B-Cell...let's say he has his preferences (off the top of my head, PC, FPS, Immersive Sim, id Software, Hitman, Metro) and his dislikes (pretty much anything else), and isn't afraid of showing that. Which isn't a problem in itself, but so often he would have arguments that "x is good/bad" and not elaborate. He was willing to give his likes and dislikes, but never give any proper reasoning for them, which made it frustrating to try and engage with him.

Also had a tendency to list games as GOTY long before they even release (System Shock 3 will apparently be GOTY of...whatever year it comes out in), which is kinda funny, at least when the predictions backfire (e.g. Quantum Break).

Hmm...Marriage doesn't imply much, other passing the legal age.
But illogical quirks are more humourous to me than annoying. There's a strange sense of sincerity (and change/growth) to it, unlike some others. I think almost all humans have them in varying ways. Not me though, I'm a goddamn bear. I can't even play videogames!

Xsjadoblayde:
Not me though, I'm a goddamn bear. I can't even play videogames!

Ahem:

Xsjadoblayde:
Am doing the Prey game.

Liar! Liar I say!

Hawki:

Xsjadoblayde:
Not me though, I'm a goddamn bear. I can't even play videogames!

Ahem:

Xsjadoblayde:
Am doing the Prey game.

Liar! Liar I say!

Damnit. Foiled once again by you pesky kid humans!

So after getting my precious Blood Rock I returned to Martyr Logarius, and he went down without much trouble at all. A little firepaper and parry/visceral here and there made pretty quick work of him now that I'm level 81. Refraining from beating the game just yet, as I still have quite a few chalice dungeons to hunt through.

Xsjadoblayde:

Chimpzy:
snip

Nah, you at least played the game and have formed a reasonable opinion, so you wouldn't fall into that category. I meant mainly the people who made a decision before ever getting as far as trying it out, either before release or after the review period. Perhaps it's a "Bethesda" thing, I should take more notice of their pre-release receptions from now on.

Ah, I see. I wouldn't exactly call some of the people who did play the game much better though. Since you mentioned reviews, I had the temerity to post one on Prey on Steam. A lenghty, critical one where I went into everything I felt works or didn't. Ended up giving it a 3/5 nonetheless, a "Firmly above average, but not exceptional" on my grading scale.

The reactions were something to be seen. I've had people disagree with me before, but most at least understood and acknowledged my views. Prey though? Pure unadulterated vitriolic resentment for not immediately declaring it GOTY and an instant classic masterpiece, with choice counter-arguments that boiled down to "I think it's amazing and didn't have any problems, so you're wrong", "Other well-regarded games have similar problems, so your points are invalid" and my favorite "We don't get a lot of games like Prey, so don't criticize". One comment was just a long string of insults.

Alas, reason is in short supply on both sides. But hey, that's the internet.

Still playing AC Origins, but nearing the end. I absolutely love this game. It has the most gorgeous and detailed environment I've ever seen in a game and every quest is somehow related to the cultural and political specifics of the era. It tells the story of Ptolemaic Egypt remarkably well by making maximum use of the setting without being a really narrative heavy game(which is my preference). Even the way they integrated the ridiculous AC fiction into the game was unobtrusive. Parkouring and combat is also vastly improved and quite fun.

I was never a big fan of the AC franchise and found them all a bit meh(I only ever loved the historic settings) but Origins is the first one I thoroughly enjoyed.

Hawki:

Remember when he prefaced pretty much all his replies with "My friend, I respect you(r opinion), but come on ..." and then would go on to show he really doesn't quite respect someone' opinion, if not replied in a way that completely ignores whatever was said (still does that at times)?

Good times.

Honestly, I rather like having him around. His threads often end up quite entertaining.

Chimpzy:
[quote="Hawki" post="9.1023756.24180698"]Remember when he prefaced pretty much all his replies with "My friend, I respect you(r opinion), but come on ..." and then would go on to show he really doesn't quite respect someone' opinion, if not replied in a way that completely ignores whatever was said (still does that at times)?

Good times.

Honestly, I rather like having him around. His threads often end up quite entertaining.

Pretty much. I don't know if he's being sincere or patronizing. I'm guessing that English isn't his primary language, but it comes off as being more condescending than anything else.

Chimpzy:
Ah, I see. I wouldn't exactly call some of the people who did play the game much better though. Since you mentioned reviews, I had the temerity to post one on Prey on Steam. A lenghty, critical one where I went into everything I felt works or didn't. Ended up giving it a 3/5 nonetheless, a "Firmly above average, but not exceptional" on my grading scale.

The reactions were something to be seen. I've had people disagree with me before, but most at least understood and acknowledged my views. Prey though? Pure unadulterated vitriolic resentment for not immediately declaring it GOTY and an instant classic masterpiece, with choice counter-arguments that boiled down to "I think it's amazing and didn't have any problems, so you're wrong", "Other well-regarded games have similar problems, so your points are invalid" and my favorite "We don't get a lot of games like Prey, so don't criticize". One comment was just a long string of insults.

Alas, reason is in short supply on both sides. But hey, that's the internet.

This is about the only gaming forum I tend to visit for whatever strange reason, so those types of people/posters appear to have completely passed me by. Doesn't sound like am missing out on much there however. The last time I dabbled in traversing unknown pastures, it happened to be some form of stealth David Cage appreciation club that did not take too kindly to my thoughts on his work. I realised only after saying too much I had to get out, as it was only a matter of time before they collectively decided that sacrificing me to the altar of pixelemotions for blasphemous dissent would be a necessary justice. It would seem there are similarities in our experience there.

hanselthecaretaker:
The road to this boss (Nightmare of Mensis) might have been the toughest area in the game so far

That's actually the final zone of the game, the final boss is now available back in the hunter's dream. I was really confused when I learned that, like "What was the story of this game?"

OT: I'm playing Assassin's Creed Origins and Elder Scrolls Online right now, they're both pretty cool. I also got Super Mario Odyssey for Christmas, but I'm holding off on it until I finish my current crop of games. I get the feeling it's gonna have me dropping everything and playing it for a couple months like Breath of the Wild.

Xsjadoblayde:

MrCalavera:

B-Cell liked it.

Ummm...I get the faint impression that was intended as some sort of insult, considering the way users view B-Cell on here, implying that perhaps I have also been insulting in my initial opinion to warrant such response in defense; which I am sorry if what I said came across that way, it's probably the strong language from living in terrible parts of the UK maybe, no offense intended. But I honestly don't share the intense distaste that others seem to have for him. He seems pretty harmless, just a little misguided and...young? Minded? He also mentions the Metro series regularly, which am sure is a series many appreciate here too.
For future reference, a David Cage angle would've had more chance at being effective. Or Adam Sandler.

No.
It was mostly in jest referencing how B-Cell hypes every game he likes so much, it warrants an exact opposite response from rest of the users here. And he liked Prey.
Haven't played it myself, heard it's similar to Half-Life in a way, so might try it out in future.

Going through my pending library, right now I'm playing Dark Souls 3.

Lord of the Rings Online (Free to Play) and this game is so underappreciated, this game recreated the entirety of Middle Earth and not one mile or inch is left unchecked. This game feels more Tolkien than the Shadow of Mordor games:

Samtemdo8:
Lord of the Rings Online (Free to Play) and this game is so underappreciated, this game recreated the entirety of Middle Earth and not one mile or inch is left unchecked.

Rhun? Khand? Harad?

Kind of off topic, but if Middle-earth is going to be explored through games, I'd really love these areas to be seen. You pretty much have carte blanche in regards to how one approaches the peoples and their environs. Heck, you could even run into the Blue Wizards (or not - I understand there's some licencing issues with them or something).

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 19 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here