Can someone explain this weird Jimquisition video about difficult games to me?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 15 NEXT

Is he quoting people in his comment boxes? Seems like a shitty thing to do to your fans. Has he ever debated difficulty in games fairly?

Edit: Oh, it's explained in the end. Still shitty. I don't know why people take him so seriously when he never respects what the other side has to say. There are a few valid points in there, which he is just totally, condescendingly dismissive of.

PhoenixMGS told me he sucks at games. That would make sense.

Actually he does try and respect what "the other side" has to say, when it's something that is a valid, reasonable opinion/viewpoint. But when it's just people being elitist assholes, who are just spewing out stupid comments, then he turns it right back at them.

He has in fact, had several episodes where he has calmly, and directly, given his opinion on the type of gamer mentality that he is mocking in the Commentocracy series. But this is more fun for him.

Happyninja42:
Actually he does try and respect what "the other side" has to say, when it's something that is a valid, reasonable opinion/viewpoint.

Example? I remember one video where he said basically that I shouldn't have any issue with easy mode options and that if I disagree I'm being petty. Something along those lines.

It's basically a joke series he does, which I assume is word-for-word "reenactment" of a forum post that was linked to Jim via a fan. I'm guessing that forum post he recited had something to do with Souls games with regards to difficulty modes. Any options in single player is fine with me. Hell, I wouldn't care if there was a mode to just walk through a Souls game (or any game) if that's what someone wants to do, it doesn't affect me in any way. I do always find it hilarious that several Souls fans think the games are some great challenge that requires you to "git gud".

Hmmm, I'd like to comment, but that would require me watching the video, which judging by the thumbnail is Jim Sterling doing a bit, at which he is terrible. I generally like and appreciate the guy, but his humor is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

I'd advise always watching the whole thing of anything before posting a thread about the thing. It looks rather compulsive otherwise.
The idea of the Duke is to present how elitist some gamers behave online in a way that is meant to be comedic. Generally the only people who get offended are those who truly believe themselves to be part of the elite.

I'm feeling rather musical today. Have a song!

Any Jimquisition video can be explained by the following sentence: Jim Sterling is a massive twat.

Can't believe he gets like 12k on Patreon too.

This isn't really anything special. Lots of youtubers sometimes make those "callout" videos, where they respond to funniest/dumbest comments on their videos.

Xsjadoblayde:
I'd advise always watching the whole thing of anything before posting a thread about the thing. It looks rather compulsive otherwise.

Normally I would agree, but it's so incredibly annoying, I can't get through more than like 30 sec.

It's literally like 5 straight minutes of this...

Happyninja42:
Actually he does try and respect what "the other side" has to say, when it's something that is a valid, reasonable opinion/viewpoint. But when it's just people being elitist assholes, who are just spewing out stupid comments, then he turns it right back at them.

In other words, he doesn't respect the other side. The other side doesn't think its opinion is invalid. And it's extremely "assholish" to flippantly dismiss people as elitist assholes just because they think it's okay for a game to reward its players commensurate with their effort and accomplishment.

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:
Any Jimquisition video can be explained by the following sentence: Jim Sterling is a massive twat.

At least he's putting that money to good use, travelling to all these different locations just to record some shitty youtube video.

Wintermute:

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:

At least he's putting that money to good use, travelling to all these different locations just to record some shitty youtube video.

Greenscreen: $20
Clown make up set for kids: $3
Halloween costume: $10
Duping 500 people into giving you a yearly income above $100,000 with 3 minimum effort videos a week: priceless.

Kerg3927:

Xsjadoblayde:

Normally I would agree, but it's so incredibly annoying, I can't get through more than like 30 sec.

Happyninja42:

In other words, he doesn't respect the other side. The other side doesn't think its opinion is invalid. And it's extremely "assholish" to flippantly dismiss people as elitist assholes just because they think it's okay for a game to reward its players commensurate with their effort and accomplishment.

Isnt that kind of the point? That he is saying that the people he is mocking are REALLY ANNOYING.

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:

Duping 500 people into giving you a yearly income above $100,000 with 3 minimum effort videos a week: priceless.

Jealous? Poor dear. When did he hurt you?

Xsjadoblayde:

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:

Jealous? Poor dear. When did he hurt you?

Hell yeah I'm fucking jealous. I wish I could drop my integrity to Sterlings point, must make life a lot easier!

Edit: Btw, is that song in any way related to the thread? I really didn't like it. Hopefully the band doesn't make like 50k on Patreon. Otherwise I might have to gain approx 300kgs of weight and start a youtube channel with shitty swing sing a longs about video games.

Ah, I've seen the video and I loved it. The push back against an easier difficulty setting for games is ridiculous. If a player wants frustration, then they can pick the hardest difficulty and have their fun. If a player wants to enjoy the sights and take in the story, they can pick an easier difficulty. The "other side" wants to keep people from enjoying a game unless they "git gud". "You want to enjoy the game, but it's too hard? Well fuck you!"

The reeeeing of a dribbling pissant doesn't constitute an "other side". Big Jimmy Boy ain't always right but taking the piss out of these troglodytes is never a bad move.

Captain Marvelous:
Ah, I've seen the video and I loved it. The push back against an easier difficulty setting for games is ridiculous. If a player wants frustration, then they can pick the hardest difficulty and have their fun. If a player wants to enjoy the sights and take in the story, they can pick an easier difficulty. The "other side" wants to keep people from enjoying a game unless they "git gud". "You want to enjoy the game, but it's too hard? Well fuck you!"

Not a fan of difficulty modes in general. Too much guesswork. I've had way, way too many experiences of choosing the wrong difficulty for my skill level. It can be horrible when the game doesn't let you change difficulties mid-game. I'm also disappointed that difficulty options usually end at Easy, Normal, Hard. I wanna be able to customize various parts of the difficulty, like the amount of loot/items, the HUD, enemy numbers, the map, enemy health, population density and more.

Not every game needs an easy mode. Every game doesn't need to be made for everybody. They can play something else. There was this post on Giantbomb (which I regret not bookmarking) of a user emailing different developers and asking them if it would be possible to add an easy mode and what they think of that. Team Meat said that they'd have to redesign over a hundred levels in their new Super Meat Boy game.

It's pretty simple really, the more difficulty a game has the more the dev have to split there energy, time and attention toward all setting and the less balance the game will be, it also limit the the mechanic available in the game. Demon soul has a level that has few weak enemy. It's still a hard level because you're constantly fighting atop those tower connected to by thin bridge. The difficulty comes from the level mechanic, if an enemy hit you there's a little bit of pushback which risk making you fall and when you fight them you have to always keep awareness of your environment. This isn't something that can be easily fixed by modifying the amount of damage enemy do (even if all enemy did 0 damage the level would be just as hard). If the dev only made an easier mode that only reduce the amount of damage/health enemy have, this level would be a giant brick wall to player on lower difficulty setting.

So the dev have to either leave the brick wall in (which would probably results in flood of negative review for unfair difficulty spike), spend a large amount of time/effort fixing the level for the lower difficulty setting (don't forget that any small change need to be thoroughly debugged and can results in game breaking bug) or not make this kind of level anymore. This is just one example, there are thousands of such choice that goes into making a game (for example, the same level also has an area where the player is slowed down when moving, a boss where the environment is again a major part of the difficulty, an NPC who kill other NPC, dangerous status effect and so on and so forth). So yes, an easy setting would affect me even if I plan to play exclusively on hard mode, because game aren't created just for me, they're created for millions of potential player. If demon soul had multiple difficulty setting, it's almost certain than dark soul and bloodborn and the many imitator wouldn't exist (demon soul wasn't even planned for a NA release, it only made it here because of the very strong word to mouth for the player, most of which centered around the game difficulty). In a world where 99.5% of game or so either have difficulty setting or are very easy, is it really to much to ask that we can keep our 0.5% alone? I'm not saying that other company can't make soul like game with difficulty setting, I'm just saying that keeping a key element in a franchise isn't that much to ask.

There's nothing worth respecting with regards to "hardcore gamers". They're ridiculous, elitist gatekeepers who are a constant stain on the gaming community. Honestly, with the number of them we've had on this website over the years, it really shouldn't need to be stated that there's no reason to seriously try rebutting their points. They're not going to suddenly accept "the casuals" because somebody told them that a difficult game getting an easier difficulty isn't going to be the end of the world. They already believe that the entirety of the video game industry has been "dumbed down" for "drooling halfwits" (generally speaking they mean console gamers here, but they're not against eating other PC gamers too if they're not "hardcore" enough). They believe that literally every video game being made nowadays is like a baby's first video game because they're not as poorly-designed as games were back in the '80s and '90s. And yes, I'm going to stick with my assertion that games were tough back then because of excessively poor design (and also a bit of necessity to extend playing time because without being difficult, most of them would've been under 2 hours long).

Fuck gatekeepers. They don't deserve anything more than being mocked.

Meiam:
It's pretty simple really, the more difficulty a game has the more the dev have to split there energy, time and attention toward all setting and the less balance the game will be, it also limit the the mechanic available in the game. Demon soul has a level that has few weak enemy. It's still a hard level because you're constantly fighting atop those tower connected to by thin bridge. The difficulty comes from the level mechanic, if an enemy hit you there's a little bit of pushback which risk making you fall and when you fight them you have to always keep awareness of your environment. This isn't something that can be easily fixed by modifying the amount of damage enemy do (even if all enemy did 0 damage the level would be just as hard). If the dev only made an easier mode that only reduce the amount of damage/health enemy have, this level would be a giant brick wall to player on lower difficulty setting.

So the dev have to either leave the brick wall in (which would probably results in flood of negative review for unfair difficulty spike), spend a large amount of time/effort fixing the level for the lower difficulty setting (don't forget that any small change need to be thoroughly debugged and can results in game breaking bug) or not make this kind of level anymore. This is just one example, there are thousands of such choice that goes into making a game (for example, the same level also has an area where the player is slowed down when moving, a boss where the environment is again a major part of the difficulty, an NPC who kill other NPC, dangerous status effect and so on and so forth). So yes, an easy setting would affect me even if I plan to play exclusively on hard mode, because game aren't created just for me, they're created for millions of potential player. If demon soul had multiple difficulty setting, it's almost certain than dark soul and bloodborn and the many imitator wouldn't exist (demon soul wasn't even planned for a NA release, it only made it here because of the very strong word to mouth for the player, most of which centered around the game difficulty). In a world where 99.5% of game or so either have difficulty setting or are very easy, is it really to much to ask that we can keep our 0.5% alone? I'm not saying that other company can't make soul like game with difficulty setting, I'm just saying that keeping a key element in a franchise isn't that much to ask.

I've seen this argument a few times. Of course, it's way too complicated for Mr. Sterling to discuss in his one-sided rants.

Captain Marvelous:
The "other side" wants to keep people from enjoying a game unless they "git gud". "You want to enjoy the game, but it's too hard? Well fuck you!"

No, it's really not like that at all. If I go to Kentucky Fried Chicken and decide I want to order a hamburger, does the lack of a hamburger on KFC's menu mean that Colonel Sanders is saying "fuck you" to me? No, because if I wanted a hamburger, I could have gone to McDonald's down the street instead. Every game does not have to cater to everyone, and to think that it does is asinine.

Um... what's to explain?

He's mocking ridiculous fuckwit gamers on the internet.

Granted, it's not exactly the pinnacle of comedy, but it's not hard to grasp.

Kerg3927:
No, it's really not like that at all. If I go to Kentucky Fried Chicken and decide I want to order a hamburger, does the lack of a hamburger on KFC's menu mean that Colonel Sanders is saying "fuck you" to me? No, because if I wanted a hamburger, I could have gone to McDonald's down the street instead. Every game does not have to cater to everyone, and to think that it does is asinine.

If KFC did decide to start offering hamburgers for whatever reason do you think that would justify a KFC customer throwing a tantrum along the lines of, "How dare you cater to those McDonald's plebs?! KFC should be for chicken lovers like me only!"

Or would that customer just be a hilariously petty idiot worthy of nothing but ridicule?

Saelune:

Kerg3927:

Xsjadoblayde:

Happyninja42:

Isnt that kind of the point? That he is saying that the people he is mocking are REALLY ANNOYING.

Well yeah but he's unfortunately made it hard to watch him mock these people because of the obnoxious tone of voice, he could probably tone it back a little and this series could work

So in this thread I've seen difficulty elitism, elitism over skill at video games, implying that elitist pricks on the internet somehow represent a "side", something I think that side would take offense do as I give that side enough credit to not be comprised totally of assholes, unless they are and in that case what's the point of defending them, and insulting of Jim Sterling's patrons.

Super.

So just to clarify, Jim was mocking elitist twats for being elitist twats. If you think that's mocking the other side of an argument, that says a lot about the other side of the argument. Not many good things either.

Ezekiel:

Captain Marvelous:

Not a fan of difficulty modes in general. Too much guesswork. I've had way, way too many experiences of choosing the wrong difficulty for my skill level. It can be horrible when the game doesn't let you change difficulties mid-game. I'm also disappointed that difficulty options usually end at Easy, Normal, Hard. I wanna be able to customize various parts of the difficulty, like the amount of loot/items, the HUD, enemy numbers, the map, enemy health, population density and more.

Customizing Maps might be a bit much (Depending on the game), but the ability to customize certain aspects of a game to create a difficulty that's just right is appealing. I'd love to get rid of every AoE 1HKO attack from the turn based games I play.

Not every game needs an easy mode. Every game doesn't need to be made for everybody. They can play something else.

The thing is, games like Dark Souls and Bloodborne have more to offer than the appeal of bashing ones head against a brick wall. And sure, they can play a different game, but not the game they want to play. Granted, the final decision for adding an easier difficulty should be left to the developers. If they want it to put in the extra work for it, then sure.

There was this post on Giantbomb (which I regret not bookmarking) of a user emailing different developers and asking them if it would be possible to add an easy mode and what they think of that. Team Meat said that they'd have to redesign over a hundred levels in their new Super Meat Boy game.

Kerg3927:

Captain Marvelous:
The "other side" wants to keep people from enjoying a game unless they "git gud". "You want to enjoy the game, but it's too hard? Well fuck you!"

Oh, my post (And Sterling's video, I imagine) was not directed toward developers. I don't really mind it if the developer doesn't want to, or can't, implement an easier difficulty. I'm irritated by the crowd that took "Git gud" seriously.

Well, just look at him in that OP video; if he was smart he'd realize his ridiculous brand of eccentricity only undermines whatever point he's trying to make, doing more to alienate any reasonably mature viewer's inclination to agree with him more than anything else.

I get what point he's trying to make here and in some other cases I can also agree with him. But again, after seeing that face full of makeup and the silly act, it isn't exactly doing the face of gaming culture any favors.

hanselthecaretaker:
Well, just look at him in that OP video; if he was smart he'd realize his ridiculous brand of eccentricity only undermines whatever point he's trying to make, doing more to alienate any reasonably mature viewer's inclination to agree with him more than anything else.

I get what point he's trying to make here and in some other cases I can also agree with him. But again, after seeing that face full of makeup and the silly act, it isn't exactly doing the face of gaming culture any favors.

Dude, he can't do to gaming culture what it hasn't done to itself a thousand times over, and around ten-thousand times worse.

Honestly, if this "culture" of ours was a country, we'd probably be on a few sanction lists.

erttheking:

hanselthecaretaker:

Dude, he can't do to gaming culture what it hasn't done to itself a thousand times over, and around ten-thousand times worse.

Honestly, if this "culture" of ours was a country, we'd probably be on a few sanction lists.

Well, the culture is only a bi-product of greater society's ills. A solar flare can't come soon enough if this is progress.

hanselthecaretaker:

erttheking:

hanselthecaretaker:

Well, the culture is only a bi-product of greater society's ills. A solar flare can't come soon enough if this is progress.

Progress doesn't have jack to do with the elitist gatekeeping that goes on in gaming.

Stop saying gatekeeping. People have legitimate reasons for not wanting easy modes in many of their games.

Ezekiel:
Stop saying gatekeeping. People have legitimate reasons for not wanting easy modes in many of their games.

I'll stop saying gatekeeping when it stops being so damn on point. I've yet to see many of these so called legitimate reasons. Most of the time (I said most of the time, so if anyone reading about this feels they didn't say this, I'm not talking about you) it's just people who are pissy that other people aren't playing the games in the exact way they deem appropriate. Oh, and even if they do have legit reasons, it's still gatekeeping. You're just claiming it's justified gatekeeping.

Not that I was just referring to the difficulty, gaming's gatekeeping hardly just stops there. I still remember when people were losing their shit over "fake" gamers.

I'm not really a fan of that bit. It's like those videos where he gets into petty slapfights with shady steam developers, he may not be the worst behaved person involved, but it doesn't exactly make him look good either.

Xsjadoblayde:

I checked out a few of her other songs, she's a real talent especially lyrically. I do wish there was more going on the instrument side, pretty simple on that end. But, overall, I'm definitely digging it, some of the lyrics are damn hilarious.

Meiam:

Oh, come on, devs are horrible at balancing games regardless if there's difficulty modes or not. Balancing guns is a shooter is so freaking easy but that's rarely done right when there's more online shooters than ever before. Souls is notoriously unbalanced as the PvP side of the game shines a big damn spotlight on everything balance related. Dark Souls has a freaking main stat that does nothing for example. They had to fix weapon scaling because you could just make a sword a lightning sword and it would do more damage than if you actually invested into the scaling stat. Anyway, getting off of Souls games in general, most games are balanced for a single difficulty and then just altered slightly changing simple things like HP and damage. Nobody bitched when Bayonetta released with a very easy mode that allowed for Wicked Weaves with single button presses. Nobody bitched when Vanquish's easy mode has auto-aim. Those games are as hardcore as you can get, more hardcore than Souls and difficulty modes didn't ruin them. And, Platinum even goes the extra mile in making the difficulty modes different instead of just the standard lazy changes to health and damage. Lastly, no one is asking for devs to change the environment on easier difficulties. They can easily throw in an item to be found or bought that can make a tough environmental area easier if they so want. It's up to the devs, I don't care if Souls get an easy mode or not, but more options is better than less options. ALWAYS.

Ezekiel:
People have legitimate reasons for not wanting easy modes in many of their games.

I've yet to see one...

Phoenixmgs:

Ezekiel:
People have legitimate reasons for not wanting easy modes in many of their games.

I've yet to see one...

What Team Meat said in post 18...

What Meiam said in post 19...

I know this is an exercise in futility, though. Seeing as it's you and Demon's Souls was mentioned. Edit: Oh, you did reply to him. But you simplified much of what he said and refused to imagine the countless other possibly examples. He (and Team Meat) explained that it can take a lot of effort/time, which you refuse to accept.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 15 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here