Destiny 2 PC Ban Wave

So when Destiny 2 was announced for the PC platform, one particular piece of news that came with it was that all third-party applications that inject code into the game would be "incompatible" with D2. This is a measure to prevent modding or hacking the game, but it also comes with the unfortunate consequence that most screen capture tools, FPS counters, or overlays will not work with Destiny 2.

This wouldn't be the end of the world, as there are a whole bunch of alternatives for everything that I mentioned above, however, by "incompatible with Destiny 2", Bungie apparently actually meant "a bannable offence".

Looking through the Destiny 2 subreddit, and the Bungie forums, there are numerous reports of users being banned from Destiny 2 anywhere between a couple of hours, to just just after pressing "play" for the first time. This is because the game detects programs like NVidia Shadowplay, the Discord overlay, or something like MSI Afterburner, and treats them as an attempt to breach the game's code, and then bans the player for the pleasure.

Bungie's policy on bans is that they will not discuss bans, or overturn them - thus leaving many paying customers in the dark, and without reason or resolution for their ban.

This is one of the worst launch controversies that I have seen in a while, and is absolutely damning for Destiny 2 on PC as a whole. Personally, whilst I haven't been banned myself, it does really scare me into not wanting to play a game that I have paid for, and the fact that Bungie doesn't even have a support channel for bans makes the whole thing feel like your guilt is determined before even having a trial.

Thoughts?

UPDATE
Bungie have confirmed that third party plug-ins for Destiny 2 do not cause banning, but that still leaves hundreds, if not thousands of players in the dark. Bungie have yet to offer any idea as to what is causing these bans, or when they will be rectified.

Looks like another company seems to be allergic to any semblance of customer support.

Laggyteabag:
So when Destiny 2 was announced for the PC platform, one particular piece of news that came with it was that all third-party applications that inject code into the game would be "incompatible" with D2. This is a measure to prevent modding or hacking the game, but it also comes with the unfortunate consequence that most screen capture tools, FPS counters, or overlays will not work with Destiny 2.

This wouldn't be the end of the world, as there are a whole bunch of alternatives for everything that I mentioned above, however, by "incompatible with Destiny 2", Bungie apparently actually meant "a bannable offence".

Looking through the Destiny 2 subreddit, and the Bungie forums, there are numerous reports of users being banned from Destiny 2 anywhere between a couple of hours, to just just after pressing "play" for the first time. This is because the game detects programs like NVidia Shadowplay, the Discord overlay, or something like MSI Afterburner, and treats them as an attempt to breach the game's code, and then bans the player for the pleasure.

Bungie's policy on bans is that they will not discuss bans, or overturn them - thus leaving many paying customers in the dark, and without reason or resolution for their ban.

This is one of the worst launch controversies that I have seen in a while, and is absolutely damning for Destiny 2 on PC as a whole. Personally, whilst I haven't been banned myself, it does really scare me into not wanting to play a game that I have paid for, and the fact that Bungie doesn't even have a support channel for bans makes the whole thing feel like your guilt is determined before even having a trial.

Thoughts?

I like how publisher takes money, then prevents customer from using service they bought out of fear they could infringe publisher's possibility to coax them into spending more money.
I mean reasoning is crisp,
you already gave them all the money they could have squeezed out of you anyway. Any cost to provide you with any additional service or hell even bought service deducts from the money they already have... I'm surprised they didn't just ban all PC (potential criminal) players unless they declare they will buy something extra in the store. Mass banning makes sense ._.

Laggyteabag:
So when Destiny 2 was announced for the PC platform

When Destiny 2 was announced for the PC platform, my only question was "why would anyone ever buy this"?

Adam Jensen:

Laggyteabag:

When Destiny 2 was announced for the PC platform, my only question was "why would anyone ever buy this"?

I mean, its a perfect fit for the platform. FPS mixed with MMO - two genres that the PC does best. I was actually surprised that the first game never made it over.

The port itself is actually pretty good - this whole thing aside.

What? Even Discord triggers that?

Oh boy, I wonder if my friend who was streaming this game will run into trouble... >_>

Jamcie Kerbizz:

Laggyteabag:

Thoughts?

I like how publisher takes money, then prevents customer from using service they bought out of fear they could infringe publisher's possibility to coax them into spending more money.
you already gave them all the money they could have squeezed out of you anyway. Any cost to provide you with any additional service or hell even bought service deducts from the money they already have... I'm surprised they didn't just ban all PC (potential criminal) players unless they declare they will buy something extra in the store. Mass banning makes sense ._.

The point of the bans is to stop cheaters from ruining the experience for other paying customers
I think the issue here is that they are not being upfront about the fact that any software detected will get you banned, and they don't offer appeals so they are banning cheaters as harshly as people who are just trying to use Discord

DrownedAmmet:

Jamcie Kerbizz:

Laggyteabag:

Thoughts?

The point of the bans is to stop cheaters from ruining the experience for other paying customers
I think the issue here is that they are not being upfront about the fact that any software detected will get you banned, and they don't offer appeals so they are banning cheaters as harshly as people who are just trying to use Discord

You don't see any difference between enforcing elusive 'fair play' in game that holds no potential income loss when it gets cracked and trainers being used by people who already purchased it
in comparison to the game, in which deveolpers admit there are individuals that would drop as much as $15 000 on fluff?

I do and I am betting that it isn't sudden surge of rightious 'fair play' feel feels that drives draconian measures deployed on paying customers but vision of potential lost profit if someone could pick a colour of their atire any way they please at the mere push of a button without padding the pocket of the publisher.

Jamcie Kerbizz:

DrownedAmmet:

Jamcie Kerbizz:

You don't see any difference between enforcing elusive 'fair play' in game that holds no potential income loss when it gets cracked and trainers being used by people who already purchased it
in comparison to the game, in which deveolpers admit there are individuals that would drop as much as $15 000 on fluff?

I do and I am betting that it isn't sudden surge of rightious 'fair play' feel feels that drives draconian measures deployed on paying customers but vision of potential lost profit if someone could pick a colour of their atire any way they please at the mere push of a button without padding the pocket of the publisher.

Hey man, I hate random loot boxes as much as the next guy (I really, really hate random lootboxes. Judy let me buy what I want so I can wear what I want. When I wear a pink shirt I want people to know that pink shirt is making a statement, not that I'm only wearing it because I got it randomly. Plus it's gambling and legally should be treated as gambling)

But, the rules are laid out and even though they're shitty rules Bungie needs to make sure everyone is following them since it's an online game, and players need to know that everyone is playing by the same, shitty rules

Given that Bungie and Activision have some pretty dubious business practices, I'm giving it a wide berth, but many of my WoW guildies are playing it and seem to like it well enough. It remains to be seen how long it holds people's attention though. I believe console numbers dropped off pretty fast, so I would expect the same on PC.

Adam Jensen:

Laggyteabag:

Agreed. I played the beta for a bit to give the game a fair chance and holy shit were my feelings confirmed. The game's completely brain dead easy and is clearly meant as a console shooter. I'm starting to sound like an old man (at 25) but holy fuck I can't wrap my head around what the appeal of these constant grind, loot worshipping circle jerks is.

Yeah, I'm enjoying my time in Destiny 2 so far, to my surprise.

And while I have just about every overlay turned off because I don't like screen clutter, it does worry me if I happen to be doing something else that the programs I'm running could just randomly result in a slap in the face.

And if Bungie claims this isn't what's going on, then what is going on? Sure, we could assume that it's people who were trying to cheat the game already and were just looking for a "woe is me" scapegoat, but it's also not unheard of for an autoban system to see common overlay programs as a threat.

Chance are that if common overlay's and stream tools are flagging the system, Bungie will fix it and unban those players. However PC is known for aim bots and all sorts of other bullshit and people would want to use to get a headstart over everyone else. So who knows how unlegit the bans actually are.

When did Player Unknown start working for Bungie?

Smithnikov:
When did Player Unknown start working for Bungie?

PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BANNINGGROUNDS

PubG is down to 38% positive recent ratings.

Adam Jensen:

Laggyteabag:

This is what happens when you insist on keeping aim-assist in your competitive PC shooter.

Here's a tip, Bungie: don't.

None of this would have happened if they weren't worried about m&k players cheesing with aim assist.

Fappy:
This is what happens when you insist on keeping aim-assist in your competitive PC shooter.

Here's a tip, Bungie: don't.

None of this would have happened if they weren't worried about m&k players cheesing with aim assist.

That's very doubtful.
Mouse and keyboard has immense advantage over controller in precision and reaction time. You can't compensate for that with controller, even if devs decide to give someone with controller handicaps as soon as giant disparity in individual player skills isn't in place mouse and keyboard is just better suited for the task.

The 'it's the evil PC gamers we just want to protect our console gamers from these cheaters' is simple smoke and mirrors tactic, drumming up artificial division in community and setting one on the other.
All to cover up the fact, that since game's audience spiked and waned almost instanly on consoles, they can expect to have a very narrow window on PC as well, to hunt down all these juicy whales and dolphins in the pond. They can't risk the game having a trainer and working crack circumventing microtransations during the first 2 weeks from launch because this is all they have to cash in on this scam. After that PC players will just start to move to better games, eventually leaving small fraction of hooked enthusiasts behind.

DeliveryGodNoah:
Yeah, I'm enjoying my time in Destiny 2 so far, to my surprise.

And while I have just about every overlay turned off because I don't like screen clutter, it does worry me if I happen to be doing something else that the programs I'm running could just randomly result in a slap in the face.

And if Bungie claims this isn't what's going on, then what is going on? Sure, we could assume that it's people who were trying to cheat the game already and were just looking for a "woe is me" scapegoat, but it's also not unheard of for an autoban system to see common overlay programs as a threat.

Yeah, while the wave could be internet backdraft from one cheater being banned (or having a ban from the beta hold over, which apparently was a thing) pushed by hyperbole, its probably not. There's been a few on stream hits too, presumably by people who dont cheat habitually since that'd be kind of dumb on stream.

Bungie for their part has officially said that 400 people were banned, but not by auto-detectors, only by manual review and confirmation of cheating. Which doesn't jibe with people being banned on login. Nor does manual review of 400 cases within a 24 hour launch seem particularly likely to be possible, even being pretty liberal with "review".

Its infested with cheatware and aimbots just like any online shooter these days. And of course the good old intolerant transphobic community as well.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here